Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
Another game to wait for until it is 75% off.

Unfortunate that seems to be the case a lot these days with triple A titles.

Someone gifted me a copy of DE MD but my computer has not been able to run it well. I am however not in any hurry to upgrade my system in order to play this game and its expansion DLCs. It can wait until I can more easier spend money on such expenses.
In the meantime I am playing Deus Ex Revision.

TNO

Augur
Reported completion time varies between 90 minutes and 3 hours, so you should be able to deliver a review by Monday if you start tomorrow.

I don't think the codex really wants a seperate review for each of the nickel-and-dime DLCs. Maybe I'll do a 'DIRECTORS CUT' after they've all been released. Steam reviews suggest it isn't great.

Blowhard

Cipher
When you make a "social commentary" too close to reality, I feel you sacrifice a lot of lasting potential for your game, and it ends up having the social relevancy years later as say a pulp romance paperback capitalizing on the latest celebrity gossip. I don't find using literally all the shit going down in 2016 as creative, effective, or interesting as what Deus Ex did. Deus Ex's plot, while mired in late 90s cliches, had a plot that could be easily transposed to be relevant to other generations. The questions and problems it poses are just realistic enough to be poignant, but far out enough to be interesting into the future. It touches on such a vast number of social points that you could imagine throwing very far into the past or future and still giving people something to chew on.

and certainly not lazily, shamefully 1:1 allegorical as Mankind Divided.
and most importantly, these were ideas that were fun to think about. What's on Area 51? What about the Knights Templar?
Hell yeah, I want to find out more. Black lives matter? Fucking kill me.

I feel it's almost not even fiction when you take this road, but a tacky house of mirrors "look at it this way" take on shit you would see on daytime news before maybe sparing the effort of a flippant, sardonic comment and then going lightspeed into in to more nteresting fiction that doesn't nuke you over the head with *RELEVANT* *CONTEMPORARY* *ISSUES* ie. literally anything other than the news.

Blowhard

Cipher
And I'd like to add that Mankind Divided's vision of cyberpunk is perplexing. A lot of the people are just dressed like hipsters, and a lot of the "cyberpunk locales" I could easily imagine as hipster hangouts in America. Which is, in a very scary way, pretty cyberpunk. It's just how people ACTUALLY dress, but it's cyberpunk! It's so strange for this game to be a purportedly "cyberpunk vision of the future" which is in actuality this slightly tweaked version of contemporary reality. So it's like, a retrogressive form of science fiction, which is only science fiction in the cosmetic touches, but otherwise relies on its existence even as a piece of enjoyable media in the genre of science fiction as an aesthetic touch contributed wholly by people with actual ideas. So if it weren't for great minds contributing the idea that speculation about the future could even be a genre, what MD is is simply: NOW. Which is only vaguely marketable, and certainly not marketable to the sort of people that usually (or maybe used to. fuck these nonintellectual bandwaggoning tumblrites) play games. It's only that everything in this realm of thought has happened so rapidly that MD is able to pass itself off as something speculative.

So William Gibson, PKD, et. al nailed 2016 and beyond in a way which is so on point you wonder if maybe amphetamines and I-Ching really can make you see the future. I guess we need new degenerate visionaries to present us with an even more fucked up and nihilistic version of urban life. Though I wonder if you can even do that by this point and even give something people can relate to, or if you'd present this hyper-dystopic, depressing version fo the future and have it bomb miserably with everyone going "that was too far out" then the next day passes, and suddenly everyone is either thought-chained zombies or brains in a jar and the dudes who prepped in their bunkers observing the empty, smoldering wasteland (which was normal about 30 seconds ago) from their live-transmitting floating invisible membrane eyes shrug and go "WELP" and then go enjoy some quaint, peaceful, optimistic fantasy media like the original Fallout, while shitposting about how nice pre-REDACTED life was on hypercubechan

In an eerie way which is not really attributable to any design flourishes of its creators, MD freaks me out more than any horror game I've played. A wacky comic book tier genre like cyberpunk is now our existence, and so little time has passed since that genre's inception that people aren't even tired of it yet; the shockwave that "this is actually happening" hasn't even caught up to people. And that when when you present cyberpunk without many idiosyncratic touches of character or style, you simply present real life. I wonder if this problem will be given a name in the future when more speculative fiction comes around. Or if we're reaching a point where say the exponential accumulation of culture has reached a point where it outpaces the thoughts and predictions of our seers.

Last edited:

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
When you make a "social commentary" too close to reality, I feel you sacrifice a lot of lasting potential for your game, and it ends up having the social relevancy years later as say a pulp romance paperback capitalizing on the latest celebrity gossip. I don't find using literally all the shit going down in 2016 as creative, effective, or interesting as what Deus Ex did. Deus Ex's plot, while mired in late 90s cliches, had a plot that could be easily transposed to be relevant to other generations. The questions and problems it poses are just realistic enough to be poignant, but far out enough to be interesting into the future. It touches on such a vast number of social points that you could imagine throwing very far into the past or future and still giving people something to chew on.
I really doubt that discrimination and terrorism are going to become outdated themes anytime soon.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.pcgamer.com/deus-ex-system-rift-review/

DEUS EX: SYSTEM RIFT REVIEW

Remember Frank Pritchard? He was David Sarif’s ponytail-sporting head of cyber-security in Human Revolution, and he was an obnoxious jerk. But there was something entertaining about his barbed back-and-forths with Adam Jensen, and by the end of the game the pair had formed a peculiar, uneasy friendship. In System Rift, Mankind Divided’s first story DLC, Pritchard returns with a job for Jensen: break into a high-security data vault.

There’s a convoluted reason why he wants you to do this involving a hacker called ShadowChild, who will be familiar to anyone who played Breach. But it’s really just a flimsy excuse to have Jensen rob another branch of the Palisade Bank, which was the highlight of the main game for many. This time your target is Blade-01, a data storage centre protected by guards, robots, cameras, turrets, and more lasers than a ‘90s rave.

Disappointingly, the DLC isn’t integrated into the main game. It’s accessed via the confusingly titled ‘Jensen’s Stories’ option on the menu, meaning the credits, items, XP, and other stuff you collect can’t be used elsewhere. It also resets your augmentations, so your first task is deciding which ones you want to use for this particular mission.

Knowing your progress will be lost at the end of the DLC makes the experience feel slightly fruitless. Would it have been so difficult to have Pritchard call Jensen up on his video-phone during the main game and unlock System Rift as a side mission?

The DLC begins with Jensen taking a train to a new district of Prague. It’s tiny compared to the rest of the city, but I’m glad they let us explore somewhere new rather than reusing an old location. Set at night, there’s a stunning view of the city across the river, and the bank is a huge, detailed space, but otherwise it doesn’t quite have the same production values as the rest of the game.

Eagle-eyed players will find themselves distracted by a few recycled assets, and the streets feel claustrophobic. Before you hit the bank you have to meet a contact in an area guarded by aggressively anti-aug gangsters, which Jensen describes as a ‘neighbourhood’, but is really just a small courtyard and a couple of buildings.

The bank itself is classic Deus Ex. There are multiple ways to infiltrate it, including a multitude of vents, hackable keypads, and hidden paths. And security is, as you might expect, extremely tight, forcing you to make intelligent use of your augs and gadgets.

It’s a well-designed level, but doesn’t bring anything new to the table. If you were burned out after finishing Mankind Divided, this may feel too much like retreading old ground. But your augs being reset at the beginning does at least give you a chance to experiment with a different play style this time around.

Pritchard’s return has some nostalgia value for Human Revolution fans, and his conversations with Jensen tease some surprising humanity out of the nihilistic, monotone cyborg. He almost seems, deep down in the depths of his robo-soul, happy to see him.

The Blade is a well-designed playground for Jensen’s augs, but System Rift is, overall, not quite as good as anything in the main game. You’ll have to decide whether two more hours of futuristic bank robbery, and a small chunk of new city to explore, is worth £10.

THE VERDICT

DEUS EX: MANKIND DIVIDED
A decent, but not essential, two-hour expansion for Mankind Divided that’s ultimately more of the same.

pippin

Concept art vs final product

latest

Ranxerox.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.pcgamer.com/the-principles-guiding-deus-ex-mankind-divideds-level-design/

The principles guiding Deus Ex: Mankind Divided's level design
Mankind Divided's senior level designer and lead level artist talk about their approach to building worlds.

A couple months ago, I wrote a feature about level designers and how they approach their work. Despite interviewing designers who work on very different games—open-world shooters, puzzle games, narrative-driven adventures—I found commonalities all throughout their answers. Level designers are fascinating.

Deadlines as they are, though, one interview didn't make it into that feature. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided senior level designer Julien Hantzi and lead level artist Jean-François Morier answered few questions over email, and though my line of questioning for the feature was general, they share a lot of interesting details about Eidos Montreal's process, and how they approach choice, pacing, and emotion in their levels. It'd be a terrible thing to waste, so I've decided to publish an excerpt from that Q&A on its own, which you can read below.

PC Gamer: What are the most important qualities of a good level?

Julien Hantzi, senior level designer : The most important quality of good level design is the complete symbiosis of the gameplay, art direction, and story. You can have great gameplay, but without all of the elements working well together, it just doesn't work. If a level is extremely fun, but is based on environments that are not grounded in reality, where vistas are not well introduced, or in locations where nothing meaningful happens to the characters, it won't work. It won't be considered immersive, which can take away from fun factor for the player.

Jean-François Morier, lead level artist: When the level is built logically, giving gamers the impression that the challenge is great, but not overly frustrating. It’s also important that all of the different challenges and objectives are fluid and easy to justify. We also really appreciate when a spectacular art installation is placed in an area that both provides the player the time to really enjoy it, and is in an environment that is a natural fit for it.

JH: In a game like Deus Ex, a good level must provide the players with a very balanced experience, where they are free to experiment and choose their play style at any moment. I like to think that a well-designed level will create some kind of collaboration between the designer and the player in a space where experimentation is king. I am getting tired of corridor games where the only breakthrough for the player is to follow a scripted and linear path, making him more a spectator of his own actions than anything else. I much prefer when the player is more of an actor, whose actions give him the right to roleplay, even having consequences within and on the game world. I also appreciate when a level gives the player enough freedom to break the rules, or even operate outside of them.

Let's say, in my objectives, I need to talk to a guy to obtain information... what if I ignore this guy, or make him angry so he won't talk to me? These are all considered viable paths for the player, but I also need to make sure they obtain this information in some other way. Multi-solution, multi-path, and experimentation are really important to make a great level. However, like I said, for the magic to happen, the environment must be credible and visually stunning. The story happening within the level must also be memorable, while being infused in the environment itself (show, don't tell).

JFM: In Deus Ex, most of the alternate paths are difficult to ground in reality (paths on high ceilings, in between walls, grids on the floor, etc), and the level design team is constantly proposing alternate ways to achieve this from a visual perspective. It’s why using real world references is so important. It’s always a good idea to return to what exists in the real world to make sure the environment is credible and grounded.

Are there things you think every level should have? Common principles?

JH: I think it depends on the game you are making, so there is not one single ‘winning’ formula. The level exists to make the most of the game design in a given environment, that's all. If you take a game like Deus Ex, every level should give you the means of expressing yourself as a player, and challenge you in terms of stealth, action, and exploration. On top of this, you should simultaneously have the opportunity to navigate through a grounded and beautiful environment. The level also has to tell a story—about your character, about the world, or both—and push the narrative forward. While respecting the consistency and visual language, every level should also surprise the player in one way or another. It can come from the environment itself, from a small twist in the plot, or through the use of exotic gameplay ingredients.

JFM: So many things are necessary to each level. Of course, each level must be different, and must respect the vision of the game directors. However, a level is a mix of a lot of things. The idea is to always be able to justify what’s in the environment, and who it’s useful for. Visually, you can’t constantly bombard the players with gameplay elements and details. You need to have a pause in the action to allow the players to ‘cool down’ and regroup. So, you must carefully merge gameplay with one or more aesthetically stunning environments, which serve as 'wow' moments. These moments help the player to relax and appreciate the environment that they’re playing in.

Do you have any tricks up your sleeves that help you guide players, or at least keep them from getting lost?

JH: Of course, we have a bag full of tricks! To note, I am not speaking of objective markers, which are the last resort for guiding players, even though it has become a common practice over the past few years. I am talking about lighting, composition, and landmarks of course. However, there are more subtle things like enemy placement, gameplay ingredient placement, etc, that can help as well. Even the way we bend the rules of architecture, all of that is made to make sure players get to their objectives in a natural way ... It is always a challenge to make sure the player doesn't get lost, and it is even more difficult when you are dealing with open levels and nonlinear objectives.

JFM: Yes, I agree with Julien and, like I said, the rules of architecture are very important. If we construct a level like a real building is built, gamers will instinctively take the appropriate path. Of course, the landmarks and indications are necessary, but if the layout is not grounded at its base, it will be really hard for players to orient themselves.

What aspects of your work do you feel go unnoticed, whether by players or critics?

JH: I think that the small details must go unnoticed. If players or critics begin to notice, I think it breaks the immersion. Our job is to make all the small details invisible, so when you do something great, you won't say "that's great level design" but will instead tell yourself, "Man, I'm good!"

But yeah, if there is something I would like to be a bit more recognized for by critics and players, it’s that making a game based on player choice (Do I play stealth or guns blazing, lethal or non-lethal? Do I choose to follow the main path, or try something else?) is extremely challenging to successfully achieve from a level design perspective. It is a very rewarding experience to work on a game as complex as Deus Ex, and it is amazing to see other games embracing this philosophy. However, even if ‘player choice’ is a very common bullet point on the back of the box of a lot of games, very few really deliver on that promise. This is even the case with some open world games, which give the player the freedom to go where they want, but give you only one way to complete a mission.

JFM: For each level, the layout must be architecturally logical. This aspect is essential, because without this, it is easy to get lost. Also, the details in the clutter contained within some levels are very time consuming to make, but it is important when working to infuse the story elements within the environment, which factor into the emotional impact a level has. We know that both the players and the critics likely won’t mention these elements when writing reviews, but we also know that, if we don’t put any energy into them, the overall emotional impact of the level will be negatively affected.

Are there level design elements you see often, but don't like? What should be avoided?

JH: To be honest, there are quite a few. For me, bad visual language and inconsistencies are two of the most frustrating elements I see. When you are not able to play as intended because of how the environment is built, or because the visuals are not connected with the gameplay experience, it makes me want to stop playing. In games where navigation is key, I really dislike when it is not clear if I can reach a certain part of the level or not.

I also don’t like when the same ingredient is present, but is used differently someplace else. Let's say, an object is interactive in a room, but in another room it is no longer interactive. Another example is when I can take cover with a specific object in one level, but I cannot use it for that function in another level. To be honest, it happens all the time, even on maps I work on. Everything tends to come together very quickly, so if you aren’t communicating well with your co-workers, aren’t playing the map enough, or aren’t a great ambassador of the game guidelines, some of these problems may appear in maps without you noticing. However, even when you are extra careful, some may still slip through the cracks!

Another thing I dislike is how some levels can become very predictable by using the same structure again and again, or when the world building involuntarily sells a punch. Let's say you are in game where you’re exploring a quiet, tense environment. There is enough tension to make you ask yourself what will happen next... but all of a sudden, something doesn't look quite right: you are able to see the level design popping from the environment, making the sequence of events predictable. There are crates everywhere, some structures don't make any sense, and all of a sudden, I become fully aware that there will be a cinematic, I will be ambushed, and there will be a gunfight sequence.

Again, this is tricky: you want your game to be fun, to be really enjoyable for players. So when you need enough cover for your player, it is not always easy to justify them, and making them blend seamlessly within the environment is a great challenge. The true genius of level design is to make these elements invisible, while still making sure the player understands and recognizes the existence of these elements, inspiring them to experiment while they play without sacrificing their level of immersion.

JFM: I agree with Julien. One of most frustrating elements in level design is when we can’t understand the architecture of the layout. We know at this moment that the level will be problematic, and that the team will struggle to find a solution to justify the existence of certain elements within the environment. It’s why we prefer redoing the layout from scratch when there are too many inconsistencies.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
DEUS EX: MANKIND DIVIDED SOUNDTRACK AND DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION VINYL HIT STORES ON DECEMBER 2nd

MONTRÉAL, CANADA – November 21, 2016 – Today, Square Enix® and Eidos®-Montréal announced that the Deus Ex: Mankind Divided® soundtrack will be available on CD, digital stores and streaming services on December 2, 2016. The Deus Ex: Human Revolution® vinyl will also be released on the same day and already available for pre-order here.

The music from Deus Ex: Human Revolution was composed by award-winning composer Michael McCann (a.k.a Behavior). The 25-track soundtrack combines many of the almost 200 tracks created for the game into a 70-minute journey through the heavily atmospheric, and oppressive world of Deus Ex: Human Revolution. This limited edition double vinyl release is presented in a specially designed gold foil inlay album cover and gold colored vinyl, and features two bonus tracks: "Deus Ex: The Fall (Menu Theme)” and “Sarif vs. Unatco.” Already available on CD and iTunes, Spotify, Amazon, Google Play and other online retailers worldwide, the Deus Ex: Human Revolution soundtrack will soon make its debut on vinyl.

Michael McCann returned to compose music for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, joined by award-winning artist Sascha Dikiciyan (aka Sonic Mayhem) and composer Ed Harrison, who bring their talents to the Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - Breach soundtracks, respectively. The soundtrack will come in 2 different editions: a standard and an extended 2-CD version including 14 additional tracks. Co-produced by Sascha Dikiciyan and executive audio director Steve Szczepkowski, the albums were mixed by Sonny DiPerri and mastered by Dave Cooley. Tracklisting available here and here

The Deus Ex: Mankind Divided soundtrack and the Deus Ex: Human Revolution vinyl are available for pre-order and will be released on December 2. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is available for PlayStation®4, PlayStation®4 Pro, the Xbox One all-in-one games and entertainment system from Microsoft, Windows PC and Linux.

:bounce:

Fairfax

Arcane
-50% on Steam. Not surprised, considering the review average and underwhelming sales.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom