Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

-50% on Steam. Not surprised, considering the review average and underwhelming sales.

I almost facepalmed the day I realised that convenient/fast download and reasonable pricing really did manage to stop me pirating tv shows and computer games. "Fuucckk...those guys defending pirating were right. Damn"

Ash

Arcane
You're just mad because he called HR poor fan fiction and claimed IW was better.

Personally I disagree with some of his points and he was way too forgiving on Invisible War, but he was right more than he was wrong.

I disagree with his point on Universal ammo, for instance. UA ammo is bad because balancing and, counter-intuitively, diversity.
Universal ammo encourages sole use of the "best" gun exclusively. Why use a pistol when you have a sniper rifle or rocket launcher? There's no tactical upside to the pistol over those two. Traditional ammo systems enforce diversity by making sure you have to switch it up from time to time, and can also be balanced sensibly via ammo placement, e.g few rockets, moderate amounts of pistol ammo.

Last edited:

Dev_Anj

Learned
Universal ammo can work in games but balancing it is trickier than just providing different ammo types for different guns. Many games already feature universal ammo of sorts though. It's called mana. :p

Ash

Arcane
Yes, sorry, I was explaining why UA is bad in IW only, but never specified that. Sort of works in games where weapons actually are balanced in worth and serve unique purpose. Not Deus Ex.
As for mana, I am not a fan from a balancing POV. Even worse when it passively regenerates, because then it is universal regenerating ammo.

But you already know my opinion on the matter because you've read my posts elsewhere that complained about the universal regenerating ammo otherwise known as Mana.

Last edited:

Dev_Anj

Learned
But you already know my opinion on the matter because you've read my posts elsewhere that complained about the universal regenerating ammo otherwise known as Mana.
I actually haven't. As far as mana is concerned, I'm torn over the subject. I think it regenerating makes sense if it's a fast paced action game with a lot of fighting most of the time, since the challenge there comes from having to manage your mana usage through attacks and/or dodging for long enough to be able to use your attacks again. The notion of mana for spells itselves makes sense though, since it represents the character's innate mental energy being used in powers. It's especially interesting if justaposed against a regular ammo system. Hell, your favorite game, Deus Ex, features mana, albeit without regeneration.

sullynathan

Arcane
Universal ammo encourages sole use of the "best" gun exclusively. Why use a pistol when you have a sniper rifle or rocket launcher? There's no tactical upside to the pistol over those two. Traditional ammo systems enforce diversity by making sure you have to switch it up from time to time, and can also be balanced sensibly via ammo placement, e.g few rockets, moderate amounts of pistol ammo.
Universal ammo worked Mass Effect 2 & 3 because weapons were distinct enough. You had burst, automatic, semi-automatic assault rifles, machine guns, grenade pistols so on and so forth so there wasn't a "best weapon" until the DLC at least.

guy has played your mod too

That kid sounds like he's 15 years old.
I think he's older than he looks.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Dev_Anj: I'm not outright against the concept, just it cannot be denied the execution in IW was not great.
As for DX1 bioenergy, the augs are all highly specialized, so it (sort of) works. A notable exception is the regen aug which works in almost all situations, overriding other augs like aqualung to counter drowning, environmental resistance, energy shield etc.

sullynathan said:
guy has played your mod too

He has? I never noticed mention of it.

I think he's older than he looks

He is. I don't care for the pitch of his voice nor his age. I care about his content, which is decent and he clearly puts a lot of effort and research into his work, so kudos to him. He could be 11 and I'd still respect his content.

Dev_Anj

Learned
As for DX1 bioenergy, the augs are all highly specialized, so it (sort of) works.
Are you saying that the concept of bioenergy in Deus Ex 1 is not done properly? All I was saying is that there are merits to the universal ammo system, that's why many developers, experts like LGS even, have featured it in some form or the other where deemed appropriate. I certainly wouldn't find it interesting if a magic user had to pick different magic orbs all the time to use different magic, as opposed to just picking up mana potions and managing them. Atleast, not most of the time anyway, since magic is often limited with things like charge up times, casting speed, specialized mechanics like drawing runes, being stuff other than direct attacks etc.

Ash

Arcane
Are you saying that the concept of bioenergy in Deus Ex 1 is not done properly?

If you consider that regen overrode use of other augs, then yes.
If each aug has it's own limited "ammo pool" then you'd use regen when it was most needed, and actually use and even possibly upgrade aqualung for swimming.
But I don't intend to change the system in GMDX because it could have too big an impact on realism.

All I was saying is that there are merits to the universal ammo system.

Not in Invisible War there wasn't, which is all I was initially saying. But yes, I didn't explicitly specify that.

Last edited:

Dev_Anj

Learned
If each aug has it's own limited "ammo pool" then you'd use regen when it was most needed, and actually use and even possibly upgrade aqualung for swimming.
I doubt that. The reason regeneration was such a great aug vanilla was simply because it provided a very efficient resource exchange rate. Even if each aug had an ammo pool, regen would still be very useful and aqualung near useless, since there simply weren't many bodies of water to justify using it and it competed with another skill at the same time. So people would just hoard regen ammo for tough situations and ignore aqualung ammo. Don't forget that making augs use ammo would cause problems in ammo distribution too, since there's only so much ammo you can put in an area before it gets ridiculous.

But this is veering off topic, maybe it can be contnued in the GMDX thread.

rezaf

Cipher
Man, I like the level design in general, but the one where you must stun that one guy (Dominik) and get him out of a well guarded area unseen has got to be one of the most apalling missions I ever played in any game.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
thanks to CPY, i played this for a few minutes. it's ok so far. don't have the drive to continue yet tho

We'll see how this latest franchise entry fairs after all the patches, DLC, and content are packaged together in 5 years.

How's the music HoboForEternity ?
so far it's okay. haven't notice any good piece, the the ambient is nice. it's still more like DXHR than deus ex

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Muhahah!

Witcher 3 expansion won best RPG instead of Deus Ex? :))

Dildolos wept...

Sykar

Arcane
I heard the game is now on torrents. Is that true?

*Looks up*

57 GB download

dC9DTdqPmRnlS.gif

1/2 hour DL, what's the problem? :smug:

anus_pounder

Arcane
Some of the decisions are baffling, like the expansion being a stand alone instead of integrated into the main game. The game is still great and I have great faith that Edios Montreal will do the series will do the series justice in the 3rd game and beyond. :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom