Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I wonder if Square Enix would pass Deus Ex to Collective label, or thinks it's still too valuable for that.

Latelistener

Arcane
They already said "goodbye" to Hitman, so...
They should sell Thief to Zenimax (Arkane), and maybe Deus Ex too.
As for Legacy of Kain, I don't know. They have Crystal Dynamics, which is a perfect candidate, but Square Enix doesn't give a shit.

Deleted member 7219

In 5 years time every major game will be like Battlefront 2. Online focus, maybe a shitty little campaign if you're lucky, but YOU BETTER ENJOY MULTIPLAYER YOU FUCKS! Because that is what you're getting. Also, buy the map packs and the loot crates.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In 5 years time every major game will be like Battlefront 2. Online focus, maybe a shitty little campaign if you're lucky, but YOU BETTER ENJOY MULTIPLAYER YOU FUCKS! Because that is what you're getting. Also, buy the map packs and the loot crates.
what I predict in the next 2 to 3 years is we will see more and more PUBG shit and its countless clone from AAA dead carcass of developers to asset flippers, and it is a genre ripe for exploitation with lootboxes and microtransaction

passerby

Arcane
The gameplay in new DX games was two simple changes away from being genuinely decent.

1) Make energy do not regenerate, so the use of active augumentations would be limited by energy consumables, it would balance them being overpowered "I win" buttons.
2) Make the "not so stealthy takedowns" to not pause the game, impossible from the front, alert nearby enemies within some small sound radius and alert enemies that whitnessed takedown scene with their line of sight.

Everything else about these games was pretty good ( well except bosses and ending in HR ), but gameplay was sadly completely butchered by accommodating the lowest denominator audience.

DeepOcean

Arcane
The good news is that if the major publishers decide to jump ship for microtransaction nickle and diming, this will open a hole in the market that other companies will fill, Focus, DeepSilver, THQ Nordic, Paradox and others could fill this gap if they are remotely smart, the demand will remain there, publishers aren't jumping ship because single player isn't profitable but because they can steal money from kids, teenagers and stupid people what is alot more profitable. We could see a scenario of indie games focused on single player, medium sized publishers for AAA single player games and the behemoths focusing only on online. I would be happy with an Interplay 2.0 publishing single player games while the likes of EA become glorified virtual cassinos, it isn't that we will miss much if Activision, EA and other publisher jump ship.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...deus-ex-switching-focus-to-online-titles.aspx

Eidos-Montréal, Developers Of Deus Ex, Switching Focus To Online Titles

Eidos-Montréal, the studio behind the Tomb Raider reboot and the modern Deus Ex franchise, released a statement on their website announcing a change in focus to online play.

Announced today, studio head David Anfossi released a new vision statement for the Canadian studio. Anfossi wrote "At Eidos-Montréal, we’re constantly working towards creating innovative and exciting experiences for gamers everywhere. In turn, we are placing an added emphasis on the online experiences in our games, striving to continually provide players with content that is memorable and impactful. Through the inherent interactivity of online play, our universes will have the chance to thrive both now and into the future. To achieve this, we are building the teams and tools capable of supporting our ambitions."

This change comes as a shock from the Square-Enix studio who had only recently released Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. Shortly after that game's release, Square-Enix and Eidos-Montréal announced that the studio was partnering with Marvel to create multiple video games based on the Avengers.

It was assumed that the Marvel deal was going to occupy the studio's resources for most of the future.

Square-Enix's CEO as recently as a few weeks ago mentioned that Deus Ex was not dead, though it is unclear if the studio's new focus is connected to that statement.

:deadtroll:
Such a shame. Jean-Francois Dugas' was a great project director, despite the series' flaws, he was able to keep it on a solid path for a time. Fuck Squeenix. Cunts.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
So, this game is free tomorrow on PS4 for PS+ subscribers. I had to go check the net to make sure Warren 'butt-stink finger alcoholic' Spector didn't get his retard all over it. Will probably download.

Zep--

Paul_cz

Arcane
This game is fucking great but Warren 'butt-stink finger alcoholic' Spector's first Deus Ex is still in another league

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Picked up the two story DLCs in the Steam sale. They weren't half bad (especially Criminal Past with the no-augmentations option). It boggles the mind that the DLCs weren't integrated into the main campaign. They made the same mistake with Human Revolution and fixed it in the director's cut only to repeat it with Mankind Divded.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
What is dead may never die.
latest

Deleted member 7219

it's not a mistake, it's a marketing strategy and it worked so well that the deus ex brand almost died.

Almost died? It is dead.

Square Enix have an obsession with inflating projected sales before a game releases, so it is really difficult for one of their games to be considered a financial success anyway.

It also happened with Tomb Raider despite being released on every console imaginable, multiple times. But at least Tomb Raider has very strong brand recognition, and mainstream gaming sites determined to promote it. Deus Ex just doesn't have that, and Mankind Divided sold poorly.

We now know that they have announced they aren't going to be doing anything with it - that's as good as consigning it to the grave. Maybe it'll get resurrected in 10 years but I'm not counting on it.

it can't "die", even hitman was thought gone for all after absolution, it's still too popular, too recognized, to be completely abandoned. hell, we even got human revolution years after that one whose name i won't say. it'll be back, not soon but it will.

Rev

Arcane
it can't "die", even hitman was thought gone for all after absolution, it's still too popular, too recognized, to be completely abandoned. hell, we even got human revolution years after that one whose name i won't say. it'll be back, not soon but it will.
Yeah, it will probably be rebooted again in 5 or 10 years, but the Jensen saga is probably dead for good, despite the fact that it was planned as a trilogy and they only released two games.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, it will probably be rebooted again in 5 or 10 years, but the Jensen saga is probably dead for good, despite the fact that it was planned as a trilogy and they only released two games.
Are there Jensen fans out there who can't bear the franchise continuing without him? :?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
the Jensen saga is probably dead for good, despite the fact that it was planned as a trilogy and they only released two games.

Well, you'll know its dead when they release a novelization of the third act.

Rev

Arcane
Are there Jensen fans out there who can't bear the franchise continuing without him? :?
I know some people who would be pretty pissed off about having the Jensen tale end abruptly with MD instead of having a proper conclusion.
I liked the two new Deus Ex well enough (although MD suffered from Square Enix's interference, but level design and gameplay were still good), but I wouldn't mind that much about the missing ending if the next Deus Ex games are good, but I fear they'll be far more casualized than Eidos' works.

I would love to see an Arkane take on the universe, or rather a spiritual successor to DX since they can't use the IP directly. After all, they already made a successor to Thief (sort of) with Dishonored and to System Shock with Prey, and it would be nice to see them try a Deus Ex-kind of game.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

What is dead may never die.
latest
Which reminds me, I need to pan this on the unofficial curator. What an awful, awful game.
Done.

fqNcYuk.png

Everything about this was terrible. Pink being the new nano aug color for some reason. The tiny ass levels so it would work on the consoles. ("Smaller, deeper levels" I remember one dev saying.)

And the worst idea I had ever heard at the time: unified ammo system. No reloading and every gun uses the same ammo pool. Not sure if streamlining or just a terrible, terrible idea.

Even the cover art is cringe.

Cross

Arcane
And the worst idea I had ever heard at the time: unified ammo system. No reloading and every gun uses the same ammo pool. Not sure if streamlining or just a terrible, terrible idea.
It was a terrible idea, but I find it quite amusing how most of the same fans who trash Invisible War for things like that seem to adore Human Revolution, which is even more streamlined. In the Jensen games you can't even perform melee attacks, which is utterly absurd.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

In the Jensen games you can't even perform melee attacks, which is utterly absurd.
You can, they are just le extreme quicktime events.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom