Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dev Log #54: Specialization and Veteran Level Changes

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer
Hi guys. I did some changes regarding veteran levels which I originally introduced back in October.

First of all, player will continue to receive the normal amount of skill points when leveling up even on veteran levels now. Also, derived stats such as health, detection and such will scale normally on veteran levels as well. However, players will also gain a feat every even level instead of every level when leveling on veteran levels. So basically everything is going to work as with normal levels with the exception of the feat pool being expanded with veteran feats once you hit veteran levels.

Allowing of the further skill scaling beyond the 25th level, however, requires us to provide some use for such high skill levels, particularly in crafting. To address this, the end-game areas and stores will have some of its loot/stock scaled up if the Expedition DLC is installed, particularly when it comes to crafting components. In the future, we also intend to address the problem of other non-combat skill scaling (such as social skills and hacking/lockpicking) by adding high level encounters/opportunities, so while currently it might not make sense to max out these skills, in the future it will have benefits.

However, the second, and more important change, is that on veteran levels you'll also get three specialization points.

Specialization.gif

You use these specialization points to further improve your non-veteran feats, often across specific dimension, as demonstrated in the GIF above. Your investment of points in any given specialization cannot exceed your veteran level (or the maximum allowed points for that specialization).

That's it for now. Let us know how you like these changes.

Last edited:

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Is it possible to access all the DLC content after doing the Deep Caverns? Had kinda ruled that out before, since I wanted to check out the new Psi stuff, but with this it shouldn't be a problem?

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer
Is it possible to access all the DLC content after doing the Deep Caverns? Had kinda ruled that out before, since I wanted to check out the new Psi stuff, but with this it shouldn't be a problem?
I think so. Definitely all the stuff that's located in the Black Sea.

ciox

Liturgist
Customizable feats? Yes please.
The only issue I might have is it seems like 4-5 veteran levels is a very long time to wait just to max out your favorite feat, are there any feats that are so problematic when maxed out quickly to require this 1 spec point per feat per veteran level rule?

Not really that worried about being too strong in the very late game, the game is already structured so you have to really seek out the XP to gain lots of levels, otherwise you will reach Tchort at around level 20, from my view you would have to do a crazy amount of XP searching to rack up a significant amount of veteran levels and at that point being overpowered would be justified, if it does happen.

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer
The only issue I might have is it seems like 4-5 veteran levels is a very long time to wait just to max out your favorite feat, are there any feats that are so problematic when maxed out quickly to require this 1 spec point per feat per veteran level rule?

Not necessarily, at least not for now, but this is how the game handles the stat progression in other aspects and so far it served us well enough.

flabbyjack

Arcane
I like how you continue, but expand upon the level up concept. Getting rid of the skill/stats made my heart frown a little so I'm glad you reversed your decision.

I like the veteran perk levels 1->5. Neat perk selection too, I like the 'Armor Sloping' one it's gonna be fun getting on that slightly heavier armor without the encumbrance.

Styg you are an inspiration to us all.

Please do try to roll in some end-game changes cuz that last chapter is a doozy, everybody else agrees. Maybe make it simpler to find parts, reduce the number of parts needed, and make it more explicit about what needs to be done. Respawning enemies can rub people the wrong way, although you do drop plenty of hints about loading up on ammo/meds. plz plz plz use the xpac to make some tweaks.

:stunned:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom