Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Developer log

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Team grows to 50 people. Our latest artists are very fast and capable professionals. I feel so proud ::manly_tear::
50 people? Wow, that's quite amazing.

hexer

Look at these feral Glowing Ones ganging up upon our hero! Good thing they're statless so they can't hit him ;)

OwibfEs.jpg

Any updates ?

I'm working hard on the maps/art every day and that's all I do right now. I don't even have the time to check on the rest of the team but there's everyday activity and progress on everything: game design, music, art, writing...

Bloodlust

Augur
I am happy that you guys are making making progress and I really hope you manage to finish this.However from my experience from fan made fallout,hardest part of actually making a mod of this scale is programming and/or scripting.It's just tough to find people with skill willing to mod fallout.

It's nice to have a team of 60 people but I've seen no mention of scripting taking place.You need to have people that take all work that is relatively easy to produce (like maps) and actually implement them in working software.I say that with the best intentions,maybe the FOnline engine is better than the bitch the FO2 engine is.

Anyways,keep up the good work.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Look at these feral Glowing Ones ganging up upon our hero! Good thing they're statless so they can't hit him ;)

OwibfEs.jpg

Any updates ?

I'm working hard on the maps/art every day and that's all I do right now. I don't even have the time to check on the rest of the team but there's everyday activity and progress on everything: game design, music, art, writing...

This is not the final look on such a desert map, is it?

hexer

This is not the final look on such a desert map, is it?

Nope not the final map version. You notice well my fellow mapper bro ;)

I am happy that you guys are making making progress and I really hope you manage to finish this.However from my experience from fan made fallout,hardest part of actually making a mod of this scale is programming and/or scripting.It's just tough to find people with skill willing to mod fallout.

It's nice to have a team of 60 people but I've seen no mention of scripting taking place.You need to have people that take all work that is relatively easy to produce (like maps) and actually implement them in working software.I say that with the best intentions,maybe the FOnline engine is better than the bitch the FO2 engine is.

Anyways,keep up the good work.

You're right, the scripting is waiting for me to finish maps and art. We have additional 3 programmers though but they're too inexperienced and unwilling to start without me.

hexer

Sometimes I descend down to the bottom of the Grand Canyon to loot ancient uranium mines. But sometimes I drop everything and run for my life...

2SWbTWe.jpg

hexer

In the screenshot above there is mostly completely new art and art from FOT. With some art from other FO mods (FO Nevada maybe?). It is hard to keep track of it now as we have thousands of new art assets.
Van Buren will have that classic FO look but with LOTS of new art. The Grand Canyon is a really bad place and the maps reflect that. I mean this cougar is a child's play compared to some other things it hides ;)

hexer

A miracle just occurred!
3 hours ago, I posted a FB ad for open mapper/technical designer positions and we've already recruited 5 new mappers!

:yeah:

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
That Fonline engine certainly makes cooperation much more possible. It would be cool if Fan Made Fallout would be resurrected on it.

.Pixote.

Augur
A small tip -

You can add up to 6 scenery artworks inside a single scenery piece (FRM), but be careful how you name it because the one name will be used for all six artworks. When you make the finished FRM just change the direction (NE. E. SE. SW. W. NW) and add the next artwork. This works well for simple objects like chairs, barrels, rubble, etc. When placing them on a map just use the direction key to find the correct artwork. I use this approach with Mutants Rising, it helps to keep the artwork numbers down. This approach won't work with tiles, nor would it work well with walls due to the flags (East-West...North-South). You must fill all 6 directions otherwise the FRM won't work.

Good luck Hexer. :bro:

hexer

Thanks for the tip bro! We should definitively reduce our number of files. We're over 43,000 right now.

What do you guys use as a source control solution? We've been using Google Drive but doesn't work good anymore. I'm now trying to move everything to sourceforge but it's a challenge.

28.8bps Modem

Prophet
Use Bitbucket. It's free, and it's Mercurial so you don't have to put up with the tyranny of GIT. I have no idea why anyone would put up with sourceforge's crap these days. Even github would be better.

hexer

We need a dev environment for 70+ people with wiki, forums, source, etc. I don't know where else to look for. Speaking of that, anyone here can help us with SVN or git? We're trying to make the game open source but we can't move the files to sourceforge. It's throwing errors which someone more experienced could fix

Destroid

Arcane
For the love of god, use git or mercurial. Services like bitbucket, github and similar offer all that kind of stuff.

hexer

We have the options of using git and mercurial on SF. The issue is that they're throwing errors.
Github doesn't allow projects larger than 1GB and bitbucket is limited to 5 users

Destroid

Arcane
I guess you can pay a few bucks or strip the arts assets out of the code repo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom