Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Devil May Cry HD Collection

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
http://www.pcgamer.com/devil-may-cry-hd-collection-announced-for-pc-release-date-set/

Devil May Cry HD Collection announced for PC, release date set

By Joe Donnelly 20 minutes ago

In today's most surprising but welcomed news: Capcom has announced the Devil May Cry HD Collection. With the original Devil May Cry, Devil May Cry 2, and Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition in tow, this Danthology (see what I did there?) is due on PC on March 13, 2018.

The HD Collection brings the first 2001 Devil May Cry to PC for the first time. The same applies to 2003's Devil May Cry 2, while the Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition was afforded a PC release ahead of its European console counterpart in 2006.

Note that Devil May Cry 4 and Ninja Theory's 2013 DmC reboot don't feature in this package.

"Since his debut back in 2001, Dante swiftly became a gaming icon, representing fun and challenging combat coated in a layer of stylish moves and crazy acrobatics that make you look like an absolute badass," says Capcom via a blog post. "We’re talking juggling enemies in the air with handgun bullets and even riding them around like skateboards. It’s that stylish potential that has drawn in and captivated fans worldwide; after all, who doesn’t like looking super cool."

kalganoat

Savant
Usually before the lastest entry of an old franchise is released, publisher will release a HD collection to get people up to speed.

Or maybe it's Dragon's Dogma 2. I'm okay with either one really.

sullynathan

Arcane
aVOSkIC.gif

I really hope Soul Calibur VI is real too.

sullynathan

Arcane
Capcom are a bunch of fags. I already bought the game pack on the PS3 for $5, I refuse to buy it again.:keepmymoney:

:takemyjewgold:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Since the original DMC3 is not working on my new System, I think I will be obligated to buy this HD pack. Not that I'm complaining, I love this series (not DmC obv).

Martius

Liturgist
HD collection sounds great. Finally whole series on pc plus one console if someone owns ps4 or xbox one. Now the question is if this is just Capcom porting their older titles or really a tease before DMC5.

Ausdoerrt

Augur
Well hey, it's an opportunity to play 1 & 2 without fudging about with emulators. I'll take this over DMC5 any day.

Also, Dragon's Dogma 2 where?

Ash

Arcane
Question: has anyone found any of these modern hardkore konsole Japanese hack and slash games to be on par with the classics? Said classics being Devil May Cry 1 & 3, Ninja Gaiden (2003) and Onimushu: Dawn of Dreams? The Souls games while ever so slightly different in style is all I've found. And I'm talking as good as or better than these old games. Never settle for "good for what it is".

Declinator

Arbiter
Question: has anyone found any of these modern hardkore konsole Japanese hack and slash games to be on par with the classics? Said classics being Devil May Cry 1 & 3, Ninja Gaiden (2003) and Onimushu: Dawn of Dreams? The Souls games while ever so slightly different in style is all I've found. And I'm talking as good as or better than these old games. Never settle for "good for what it is".
There are many who would put Bayonetta in top three with Ninja Gaiden Black and DMC3. Personally, while I thought it was much smoother than DMC3 it put far too much focus on spectacle instead of fun fights. It is closely reminiscent of DMC3 though.

Another that holds favor with many is Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance and if you liked playing Royal Guard in DMC3 it is certainly worth a look. Not a game I particularly liked.

Also, while it is a 2006 game and as such not necessarily modern, God Hand is surely worth playing if you haven't already. I might very well put it above even DMC3.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Bayonetta comes closest, though it follows the Ninja Gaiden school combat where you have preset combos, which is inferior to the free style combat of DMC.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Worth it for DMC 1 and 3 alone.

"The HD Collection brings the first 2001 Devil May Cry to PC for the first time. The same applies to 2003's Devil May Cry 2, while the Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition was afforded a PC release ahead of its European console counterpart in 2006."

Writing lol

How is this any fucking different from saying "The HD Collection brings the first three Devil May Cry games to PC for the first time."
I had three slices of toast for breakfast, the first slice of which was buttered, and the second to which I applied butter, whilst the third slice was allowed a measure of butter before it was allowed into my maw which was awaiting buttered toast.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Played Devil May Cry 3 on PS3. It was a chore to finish. I didn't even like God of War or Ninja Gaiden: Sigma. Hack n' slash games are just not fun. I think that might be the only genre of game that I can't enjoy.

Ivan

Arcane

Revengeance+God Hand (both are brawlers)+Bayo 1+2 (hack n slash)

Ezekiel

Arcane
People are gonna say Platinum Games or have already, but I disagree.

Bayonetta has too many long fucking cutscenes. Devil May Cry 3 did it right. It also has too many setpieces and weird, disorrienting transitions during bosses. The bosses of the Devil May Cry games felt more pure. Devil May Cry also didn't have shitty, drawnout vehicle sequences, like the shoot 'em up section in Bayonetta with the big avatar that blocks your view or the lame, long-ass motorcycle chapter. Devil May Cry also didn't have bogus QTEs in the middle of the action.

Revengeance is worse. I wrote a review shitty rant for it:

Metal Gear Rising's combat is too automated for my taste. You press the attack button and Raiden turns and rushes the guy behind him. You tap, tap, tap, as Raiden does his stupid, flashy moves, and before you realize the guy is dead, Raiden automatically turns or rolls towards the next opponent and begins slashing him. Imagine taking the wonderful Streets of Rage 2 and no longer requiring the player to turn towards the opponents and focus on positions. You press attack at least two meters from the nearest opponent and Axel/Blaze turns around and lunges at his/her enemy. The enemies in Metal Gear Rising mostly just stand there, taking their turns, letting you hit them with your dumb combos, until it comes time to use blade mode.

The parry is so similar to the attack that you barely have to put any effort into parrying. The parry animation only activates when you're being attacked, so you can just spam the attack while pushing the stick towards the opponent. I'm usually pushing towards the opponent anyway. The timing is so simple most of the time. I would have rather just had a parry/block button. You do so much parrying in this game...

Being able to replenish the whole health bar with the numerous energy cells makes the combat too simplistic. I guess they expect you to play it for the high scores, but I couldn't care less.

Blade mode, the freestyle cutting ability brought over from the original stealth-action concept, Metal Gear Solid: Rising, doesn't work that well in an action game. I had trouble cutting certain things the way the game wanted me to. Your opponents are frozen (even in mid air) so that you can perform your crummy cutting and harvesting.

Sometimes, you get grabbed and have to shake the analog stick really fast to free yourself. The only way I can shake the stick fast enough is by using my right hand. Why would you require rapidly moving left and right the clumsy digit of your non-dominant hand? It requires considerable dexterity and is bad for the analog stick.

I don't want Dance Dance Revolution in my action games. QTEs don't coincide with a game's controls. They don't feel like an extension of the gameplay; they feel arbitrary. They're just kind of strange. You think you beat a boss, but then you ruin your score because you're not ready for the on-screen prompts. When I saw the first QTE after not playing MGR for a while, I thought for a second, "What is this?" And then I remembered. By that point, I was already dead. I would rather just have non-interactive cutscenes, like in the older Metal Gear games, so I can pay attention to what's going on instead of focusing on the button prompts.

The bosses have some of the most bloated HP I've ever seen in a game.

Hack and slashers like this are monotonous, always fast fast fast fast, room after empty room, the same enemies over and over. MGR makes my arms ache. It has like a hundred different moves, but you only ever need to use a few them to win. There's no purpose or depth to it, beyond trying to look cool. The weak stealth bits didn't help with the monotony.

I never liked Cyborg Raiden. I preferred him as he was in MGS2. His ending was one of positivity, so it was a letdown to see him become such a mess in MGS4, all because fans didn't like him and didn't find him "badass." As if we needed ANOTHER cyborg ninja in MGS. He was much more of a character in MGS2 than in 4.

The political rock fails to excite or immerse me, though I like the progression of it during bosses.

I can't think of anything else the game does particularly well. I dislike the characters, the ridiculous and often cheesy cutscenes, the bare environments, the annoying camera... But this review was mainly meant to be about the combat, because I know not to expect much else from a stylish hack and slash game. Devil May Cry 3 is the only one I ever had much respect for.

ShadowSpectre

Arbiter
I wouldn't mind playing DMC1 & 3 again, so long as the PC version doesn't destroy save files like DmC does. Does anyone remember back when DMC1 was supposed to be RE4? Being reminded of Resident Evil, I would like to see a proper release of RE2/3/Code Veronica from Capcom. If not fully remastered, then at least as an HD collection.

Ash

Arcane

Bayonetta has too many long fucking cutscenes. Devil May Cry 3 did it right. It also has too many setpieces and weird, disorrienting transitions during bosses. The bosses of the Devil May Cry games felt more pure. Devil May Cry also didn't have shitty, drawnout vehicle sequences, like the shoot 'em up section in Bayonetta with the big avatar that blocks your view or the lame, long-ass motorcycle chapter. Devil May Cry also didn't have bogus QTEs in the middle of the action.

Metal Gear Rising's combat is too automated for my taste. You press the attack button and Raiden turns and rushes the guy behind him. You tap, tap, tap, as Raiden does his stupid, flashy moves, and before you realize the guy is dead, Raiden automatically turns or rolls towards the next opponent and begins slashing him. Imagine taking the wonderful Streets of Rage 2 and no longer requiring the player to turn towards the opponents and focus on positions. You press attack at least two meters from the nearest opponent and Axel/Blaze turns around and lunges at his/her enemy. The enemies in Metal Gear Rising mostly just stand there, taking their turns, letting you hit them with your dumb combos, until it comes time to use blade mode.

The parry is so similar to the attack that you barely have to put any effort into parrying. The parry animation only activates when you're being attacked, so you can just spam the attack while pushing the stick towards the opponent. I'm usually pushing towards the opponent anyway. The timing is so simple most of the time. I would have rather just had a parry/block button. You do so much parrying in this game...

Being able to replenish the whole health bar with the numerous energy cells makes the combat too simplistic. I guess they expect you to play it for the high scores, but I couldn't care less.

Blade mode, the freestyle cutting ability brought over from the original stealth-action concept, Metal Gear Solid: Rising, doesn't work that well in an action game. I had trouble cutting certain things the way the game wanted me to. Your opponents are frozen (even in mid air) so that you can perform your crummy cutting and harvesting.

Sometimes, you get grabbed and have to shake the analog stick really fast to free yourself. The only way I can shake the stick fast enough is by using my right hand. Why would you require rapidly moving left and right the clumsy digit of your non-dominant hand? It requires considerable dexterity and is bad for the analog stick.

I don't want Dance Dance Revolution in my action games. QTEs don't coincide with a game's controls. They don't feel like an extension of the gameplay; they feel arbitrary. They're just kind of strange. You think you beat a boss, but then you ruin your score because you're not ready for the on-screen prompts. When I saw the first QTE after not playing MGR for a while, I thought for a second, "What is this?" And then I remembered. By that point, I was already dead. I would rather just have non-interactive cutscenes, like in the older Metal Gear games, so I can pay attention to what's going on instead of focusing on the button prompts.

Hack and slashers like this are monotonous, always fast fast fast fast, room after empty room, the same enemies over and over. MGR makes my arms ache. It has like a hundred different moves, but you only ever need to use a few them to win. There's no purpose or depth to it, beyond trying to look cool. The weak stealth bits didn't help with the monotony.

I never liked Cyborg Raiden. I preferred him as he was in MGS2. His ending was one of positivity, so it was a letdown to see him become such a mess in MGS4, all because fans didn't like him and didn't find him "badass." As if we needed ANOTHER cyborg ninja in MGS. He was much more of a character in MGS2 than in 4.

The political rock fails to excite or immerse me, though I like the progression of it during bosses.

I can't think of anything else the game does particularly well. I dislike the characters, the ridiculous and often cheesy cutscenes, the bare environments, the annoying camera... But this review was mainly meant to be about the combat, because I know not to expect much else from a stylish hack and slash game. Devil May Cry 3 is the only one I ever had much respect for.

Informative. Seems like a lot that would trigger me. From what I looked into or played (demo) they seemed decent, if a little declined.

But this review was mainly meant to be about the combat, because I know not to expect much else from a stylish hack and slash game. Devil May Cry 3 is the only one I ever had much respect for.because I know not to expect much else from a stylish hack and slash game. Devil May Cry 3 is the only one I ever had much respect for.

Say what? Exploration, platforming and puzzles were also staples of those konsole klassics. An exception for Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams which swaps platforming for more in-depth RPG progression systems than NG and DMC. There's hundreds of weapons, for instance, which define your playstyle/moveset, a skill system, inventory, apparel system etc. If you only respected DMC3, consider looking into NG and Onimusha: DoD if you haven't already.
Edit: maybe you like DMC3 specifically because it lacked puzzle elements and also had a lesser platforming and exploration focus than the original DMC and other games like it.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane

Informative. Seems like a lot that would trigger me. From what I looked into or played (demo) they seemed decent, if a little declined.

But this review was mainly meant to be about the combat, because I know not to expect much else from a stylish hack and slash game. Devil May Cry 3 is the only one I ever had much respect for.because I know not to expect much else from a stylish hack and slash game. Devil May Cry 3 is the only one I ever had much respect for.

Say what? Exploration, platforming and puzzles were also staples of those konsole klassics. An exception for Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams which swaps platforming for more in-depth RPG progression systems than NG and DMC. There's hundreds of weapons, for instance, which define your playstyle/moveset, a skill system, inventory, apparel system etc. If you only respected DMC3, consider looking into NG and Onimusha: DoD if you haven't already.
Edit: maybe you like DMC3 specifically because it lacked puzzle elements and also had a lesser platforming and exploration focus than the original DMC and other games like it.
Never played Onimusha. Always had a slight curiosity, but never played it for some reason. I think I made it to chapter 5 of Ninja Gaiden Sigma before boredom set in. I would have returned to it, but then my PS3 died. I don't wanna buy another PS3.

What I liked about DMC3, aside from the combat, is that it had good, atmospheric environments and storytelling that wasn't awful, unlike Platinum's games. I'll probably check out Onimusha at a later date.

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
I think MGR:R might be a decent gateway game to the genre for all its flaws that I acknowledge and understand (I had quite a lot of trouble with the stealth sections and the Blade Mode as well, because I never could figure out the exact right moment to go into that mode to align the three squares together, and it sometimes felt like a game of "adjust the camera in just this right angle while your Blade Mode is dying on you" - really sometimes killed my tempo and flow) because I didn't play much DMC in my youth (DMC3 was added to a magazine but it worked really choppily on my PC and I couldn't figure out proper pad settings because of some random voodoo). Got enamored with MGR:R because it had a great OST and overall presentation which alone made it worth playing, and whatever little depth there is in MGR for a seasoned DMC player, I still took some time to experiment and figure out the right moves and combos and play around with the bonus weapons from bosses. Then got DMC4SE right after beating MGR (enjoying it as well), and hearing this news about the HD edition is nice because I no longer have to worry about the most definitive game's PC port being bad, it seems.

Generally though from lurking stuff on the genre it seems like the fandom is really into the CUHRAZY aspect of it, and MGR seems to introduce you to the idea in a fun way. Like, my own experience was "Damn, this is really cool, where can I get more of this stuff, but bigger and better"?

Besides, even though DMC is a "hardcore" game, it somehow also has a massive following of gay porn fanart drawn by teenage girls, and I'm going to assume that not all of them were hardcore DMD mode players, and that DMC generally can be accomodating to people who just want to smash mobs and feel badass.

Last edited:

Martius

Liturgist
The HD collection already came out on 360 & PS3 five years ago.
Right but now you can play most recent version of DMC4 only on ps4, xbox one or pc.

I have question to whoever separated and moved this from thread about DMC5 rumors. Is there any reason for moving this topic to general discussion while one about DMC5 rumors stays in jrpg forum?

Ash

Arcane
I think I made it to chapter 5 of Ninja Gaiden Sigma before boredom set in. I would have returned to it, but then my PS3 died. I don't wanna buy another PS3.

NG starts a little bland, but as you get more moves as well as master control of Ryu it becomes a blast. Some of the later levels are really good too such as the Aqueduct and the Fire/Ice Caves.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Bayonetta comes closest, though it follows the Ninja Gaiden school combat where you have preset combos, which is inferior to the free style combat of DMC.

I don't think is inferior, in the case of Ninja Gaiden the game is more focused on survive tense and nasty encounters with mobility and tools with invincibility frames like the Izuna drop. In DMC3-4 the focus is on playing and humilliating the enemies like a badass. Ryu is a very powerful character to control, he is designed to survive and kill efficiently, not to show off, and I think it would substract tension from the game is if you could toy with the enemies too much. Both approachs are fine are I like both franchises a lot.

I can't speak for Bayonetta, I played the first a bit, seemed good but didn't hooked me.

Last edited:

What game are you talking? There's basically only two series that even play like Devil May Cry and Bayonetta right now, and that's just the DMC games developed by Capcom and the Bayonetta games. Likewise there isn't really anything that plays like Ninja Gaiden (including the last Ninja Gaiden game) other than Metal Gear Rising Revengeance.

Only played the first Bayonetta. But it's great. The only place is really fetters is when it tries doing other things, like the highway level; and also on the PS3 where it runs like shit. Ninja Gaiden 2 is pretty fantastic, but you've got to get the normal version of it on 360; the Sigma version not made by Itagaki is garbage. Revengeance is really good, it doesn't utilize the whole cutting mechanic as fully as it could have, and it's got camera problems like Ninja Gaiden has, but it's good. When I got it on 360 a number of years ago the DLC characters were all free too, guessing they still are, and on everything else too. Devil May Cry 4 is also pretty great. There was some bitching over DMC4 when it came out for having you fight the same bosses when you play the game with Dante, but given how they don't play pretty differently I can't say I really see the big deal. Haven't played it, but the Special Edition of DMC4 from a couple years ago looked really good; added some new playable characters.

I don't think anyone really makes anything like Onimusha anymore. A casualty of being the other melee focused game derived from Resident Evil that Capcom made I'm guessing. That Nioh game kind of reminded me of it a bit, at least from what I saw of it, but I've never played it either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom