Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Devil May Cry HD Collection

Ash

Arcane
What game are you talking? There's basically only two series that even play like Devil May Cry and Bayonetta right now, and that's just the DMC games developed by Capcom and the Bayonetta games. Likewise there isn't really anything that plays like Ninja Gaiden (including the last Ninja Gaiden game) other than Metal Gear Rising Revengeance.

In the decline era of gaming (2006-present) there's been:

Darksiders
Darksiders 2
Bayonetta
Bayonetta 2
Ninja Blade
Dante's Inferno
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
Heavenly Sword
God of War 3
PSP God of War games
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 3
Devil May Cry 4
DMC: Devil May Cry
Kingdoms of Amular
Nioh
Soulsborne games
MGS Revengeance

And a bunch of others. All TP hack and slash games with much in common. Most of em I checked out were pure shit, with nothing on the classic ones from the early-mid 2000s but there's gotta be something. Anything in this list that I overlooked? Soulsborne games while the least DMC/NG-like of the bunch are good of course, but anything else?

Last edited:

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What game are you talking? There's basically only two series that even play like Devil May Cry and Bayonetta right now, and that's just the DMC games developed by Capcom and the Bayonetta games. Likewise there isn't really anything that plays like Ninja Gaiden (including the last Ninja Gaiden game) other than Metal Gear Rising Revengeance.

And a bunch of others. All TP hack and slash games with much in common. Most of em I checked out were pure shit, with nothing on the classic ones from the early-mid 2000s but there's gotta be something. Anything in this list that I overlooked? Soulsborne games while the least DMC/NG-like of the bunch are good of course, but anything else?
Marlow Briggs.
Killer is Dead.
Furi
Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae (a stretch but it's alright)
The Dishwasher 1 & 2.
Aces Wild.
Icey (not Icy but Icey)

I can attest to Marlow being a pretty fun God of War clone, Furi is fantastic as a boss rush game, Dishwasher 2, Icey and Aces are great 2D spectacle fighters. Killer is Dead I haven't played but I know people who say it's okay. At the very least, better than Lords of Shadow.

If Kingdoms of Amalur is on there, Dragon's Dogma kinda counts as well. Certainly plays better.

In the decline era of gaming (2006-present) there's been:

Darksiders
Darksiders 2
Bayonetta
Bayonetta 2
Ninja Blade
Dante's Inferno
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
Heavenly Sword
God of War 3
PSP God of War games
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 3
Devil May Cry 4
DMC: Devil May Cry
Kingdoms of Amular
Nioh
Soulsborne games
MGS Revengeance

So everything you listed there, none of it plays like the three different feeling games you brought up before...besides the stuff I already talked about in the other post.

Haven't played the second Darksiders, but the first one was nice. Gameplay wise it's pretty average, with the most interesting thing about it being its aesthetic.

Never played Ninja Blade, but it looked pretty awful. Was hoping for something like Otogi 1 & 2, seems to have just been a series of QTEs. Or maybe I played a demo and it was awful.

Dante's Inferno was ok from what I remember. As far as western studios doing combo focused action games goes, this was probably one of the better feeling ones.

God of War 3 has nice moments. Like when you fight Zeus it looks like a 2D fighting game, which was pretty cool. It's also too infuriating at times to really recommend. You can't skip cutscenes, and the awkward jumping was more deadly than the enemies. It's a God of War game, so the combat is pretty mindless, which isn't good.

Only played the Kingdoms of Amular demo, and that was when it came out. Want to say the combat was kind of stiff. The combat is better than other western action RPGs trying to do action around that time, but that ain't exactly a prize either.

Only played the first Dark Souls of those particular FromSoftware games. It's fantastic. This would also be very different from a DMC and Ninja Gaiden. Sure you probably already know, but Dark Souls doesn't have special attacks. It's like Elders Scrolls combat, in so far as you get different attacks with different directions; it's also unlike Elder Scrolls combat in that it's actually good and you've actual have to be mindful of what's happening.

Ninja Gaiden 3 was pretty terrible. They redid it as Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge which fixed it a lot. They didn't fix it so much to where it's anywhere near as good as Ninja Gaiden 2. And like I said, if you're playing NG2, play the original 360 version.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow is total garbage. It's basically unplayable. Played a little of it this year, its shockingly terrible.

There's also Dragon's Dogma, which is an actual hack and slash game. Made by the director of DMC 3 & 4. Gameplay wise it's like someone dragged the hack and slash kicking and screaming into the 21st century. Has some simple combos with the heavy and light attacks along the lines of DMC, but since it's an RPG your special attacks are hot keys that use up stamina instead of being player skill based input commands.

It's not a melee focused game like those, but melee combat can plays a pretty big part in Resident Evil 6. It's got a pretty simple combo melee system that works with a stamina bar. It's also got better combat than a number of those.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Pretty much a golden rule: Westerners can't into making character action games.

Darksiders 1 was okay though, but mostly for being somewhat Zelda-ish in its structure.

Also thumbs up for pimping RE6 there. I wish they made a more arcade-y, less cinematic follow-up using RE6 combat. Nothing comes close to it. Having more varied combo score metrics would be great as well, as it is right now, it rewards too much passive countering.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Bayonetta comes closest, though it follows the Ninja Gaiden school combat where you have preset combos, which is inferior to the free style combat of DMC.

Can you elaborate on this? I'm pretty convinced that Bayonetta allows you to create combos in a freely style too, though it doesn't get the insane complexity of DMC4.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Bayonetta comes closest, though it follows the Ninja Gaiden school combat where you have preset combos, which is inferior to the free style combat of DMC.

Can you elaborate on this? I'm pretty convinced that Bayonetta allows you to create combos in a freely style too, though it doesn't get the insane complexity of DMC4.

stringing pre set combos together is not the same system as in Devil May Cry where you build your own combos out of individual moves.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
stringing pre set combos together is not the same system as in Devil May Cry where you build your own combos out of individual moves.

But Bayonetta doesn't have preset combos, has a bunch movements (Which in both games in the techniques list are called combos. For example P P P . P ) that you can mix together freely to create large combos, that you can loose if you get hit or take too long. It's the same system than DMC, while as I said before is less depth.

d9d0a4941d984e7140526558cb1e35c8o.png

ec48678aecbd4a289bfeea6effb762ddo.png

Ash

Arcane
So everything you listed there, none of it plays like the three different feeling games you brought up before...besides the stuff I already talked about in the other post.

Haven't played the second Darksiders, but the first one was nice. Gameplay wise it's pretty average, with the most interesting thing about it being its aesthetic.

Never played Ninja Blade, but it looked pretty awful. Was hoping for something like Otogi 1 & 2, seems to have just been a series of QTEs. Or maybe I played a demo and it was awful.

Dante's Inferno was ok from what I remember. As far as western studios doing combo focused action games goes, this was probably one of the better feeling ones.

God of War 3 has nice moments. Like when you fight Zeus it looks like a 2D fighting game, which was pretty cool. It's also too infuriating at times to really recommend. You can't skip cutscenes, and the awkward jumping was more deadly than the enemies. It's a God of War game, so the combat is pretty mindless, which isn't good.

Only played the Kingdoms of Amular demo, and that was when it came out. Want to say the combat was kind of stiff. The combat is better than other western action RPGs trying to do action around that time, but that ain't exactly a prize either.

Only played the first Dark Souls of those particular FromSoftware games. It's fantastic. This would also be very different from a DMC and Ninja Gaiden. Sure you probably already know, but Dark Souls doesn't have special attacks. It's like Elders Scrolls combat, in so far as you get different attacks with different directions; it's also unlike Elder Scrolls combat in that it's actually good and you've actual have to be mindful of what's happening.

Ninja Gaiden 3 was pretty terrible. They redid it as Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge which fixed it a lot. They didn't fix it so much to where it's anywhere near as good as Ninja Gaiden 2. And like I said, if you're playing NG2, play the original 360 version.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow is total garbage. It's basically unplayable. Played a little of it this year, its shockingly terrible.

There's also Dragon's Dogma, which is an actual hack and slash game. Made by the director of DMC 3 & 4. Gameplay wise it's like someone dragged the hack and slash kicking and screaming into the 21st century. Has some simple combos with the heavy and light attacks along the lines of DMC, but since it's an RPG your special attacks are hot keys that use up stamina instead of being player skill based input commands.

In other words, a load of shit or mediocrity. Except maybe Dragon's Dogma and of course the Souls games.

I have played a number of said decline, and/or the demos of them myself. I'll say Ninja Gaiden 2 was probably the best of the ones I did play, and it was somewhat mediocre itself.
Also played the Dragon's Dogma demo which showed some promise, but I found a small handful of things nagging and never got around to the full game. Should really do that sometime.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane

But Bayonetta doesn't have preset combos, has a bunch movements (Which in both games in the techniques list are called combos. For example P P P . P ) that you can mix together freely to create large combos, that you can loose if you get hit or take too long. It's the same system than DMC, while as I said before is less depth.

Uh, yes it does? Did you even read the pictures you posted? That list of moves for Bayonetta is exactly a list of combos.

In other words, a load of shit or mediocrity. Except maybe Dragon's Dogma and of course the Souls games.

I have played a number of said decline, and/or the demos of them myself. I'll say Ninja Gaiden 2 was probably the best of the ones I did play, and it was somewhat mediocre itself.
Also played the Dragon's Dogma demo which showed some promise, but I found a small handful of things nagging and never got around to the full game. Should really do that sometime.

I wouldn't saw that. In the PS2/Xbox era there were only a very small handful of good action games like you're talking about. Was the same in the 360/PS4 era too.

Of what I played during that time, DMC4, Bayonetta, Dark Souls, Dragon's Dogma, Ninja Gaiden 2, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, and El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron we're all really good. Of those Dragon's Dogma is the one I like the most. Dragon's Dogma is a pretty fantastic gem, even with the flaws it has.

I liked Ninja Gaiden 2, with its ability to change weapons during the fight and it's limb cutting mechanic, more than the first Xbox one.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So listen ... I have a copy of the 2013 version of DMC. Is this not a remake of the 2001 game? Basically, is it good or bad - should I play it or forget it's there and seek better games? I got it free so no big loss if I dump it, but I don't want to miss it if there's fun to be had.

And the most important question ... if I do play it, would it be prestigious to get the original coiffure costume pack for $0.99 (sale ends Friday)? Or is the reboot version of Dante such a douche that no haircut incline can redeem him?

Ash

Arcane
Skip it. Unless you don't mind settling for mediocrity. It's your typical modern reboot.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane

Uh, yes it does? Did you even read the pictures you posted? That list of moves for Bayonetta is exactly a list of combos.

:nocountryforshitposters:

7bef633060cf5ed3948bc354ea436fd5o.png

Hobo Elf

Arcane

:nocountryforshitposters:

7bef633060cf5ed3948bc354ea436fd5o.png

I still don't see what you're trying to claim. Each "combo" in Devil May Cry is just an individual attack that you can chain together with any other move as you see fit. In Bayonetta and Ninja Gaiden if there's a particular attack that you like in, lets say, a Light Light Heavy Light combo, you can't take the individual move out of the context of the combo and apply it anywhere you wish, because the move cannot exist outside of said preset combo.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
I still don't see what you're trying to claim. Each "combo" in Devil May Cry is just an individual attack that you can chain together with any other move as you see fit. In Bayonetta and Ninja Gaiden if there's a particular attack that you like in, lets say, a Light Light Heavy Light combo, you can't take the individual move out of the context of the combo and apply it anywhere you wish, because the move cannot exist outside of said preset combo.

What I'm trying to claim is that both DMC and Bayonetta have free-style combos.

If you want to execute Nero's sword mash (Red queen combo B) you always have to execute it that way, you cannot avoid the first slash and the pause. I told it before, both games allow you to cancel and mix the techniques (Combo strings, combos, movements. Call it as you want, is the same.) for creating larger combos. For example, in Bayonetta you can P P P and back P (Which cancels the last movement in the P P P P string and adds an uppercut that you can follow hitting your enemy in the air). And also both games have movements to reset your techniques, like the double jump that you must purchase in DMC4 or holding an attack button while dodging in Bayonetta.

Seriously, I believe you're confused. Bayonetta combo system has nothing to do with Ninja gaiden combo limitations that are presented in this video.

The Decline

Arcane
So listen ... I have a copy of the 2013 version of DMC. Is this not a remake of the 2001 game? Basically, is it good or bad - should I play it or forget it's there and seek better games? I got it free so no big loss if I dump it, but I don't want to miss it if there's fun to be had.

And the most important question ... if I do play it, would it be prestigious to get the original coiffure costume pack for $0.99 (sale ends Friday)? Or is the reboot version of Dante such a douche that no haircut incline can redeem him?

It's complete shit.

It is not a remake, and it really doesn't play like a DMC game. It's also not good.

Apparently the The Definitive Edition goes a ways to make it not shit.

Martius

Liturgist

No, its not a remake. I guess it was supposed to be complete reboot for series or take place before DMC3 (people at Capcom after backlash kept saying this is just younger version of Dante so he could still change). Now its supposed to be some kind of alternative universe (for example there were never angels in previous game but now Dante mother is angel instead of human).
From my point of view its not completely bad, just painfully mediocre (well, at least its better than DMC2). Maybe proper western interpretation of DMC could be interesting but DmC is just its diluted version. Its easier than DMC4, there is nothing to replace styles, bosses are spectacle in vein of God of War instead of challenging duels, cut scene choreography and acting is complete joke in comparison to 3 and 4. I will admit it does major thing better - its playable on mouse and keyboard.

Ash

Arcane
I liked Ninja Gaiden 2, with its ability to change weapons during the fight and it's limb cutting mechanic, more than the first.

decline.png

It's yet another decline-era game with bland level design. Though the level design is a lot better than most other games of the past decade regardless.

Also, Limb cutting and changing weapons mid-battle? You could do both of those in the original. I assume you're referring to hotkey/quck switch regarding the weapon swapping though. In the original you had to bring up the inventory.

The original did not have the limb cutting system of Ninja Gaiden 2. In Ninja Gaiden 2 cutting off arms and legs is a tactic of the combat, and doing such things changes how the enemies attack you. In the original game it's just a death animation thing.

Ash

Arcane
The original did not have the limb cutting system of Ninja Gaiden 2. In Ninja Gaiden 2 cutting off arms and legs is a tactic of the combat, and doing such things changes how the enemies attack you. In the original game it's just a death animation thing.

Ah ok. I haven't played NG2 in just under a decade and didn't find it particularly good/memorable, so a little fuzzy on the details. My bad.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
I remember seeing that details back in the days and I remember it was insane. The crippled ninja enemies trying to fight you until their death, is great. And I saw it in the Sigma 2 version, which has by far lesser gore (Has other changes too, like more gameplay content, some places with worse enemy placements or no enemies at all...). In the original version is just porn for ninja weeabos, like me.

Ninja-Gaiden-2-gameplay-ninja-gaiden-1901933-250-167.gif

sullynathan

Arcane
Only played Ninja Gaiden 2 demo and it was awesome. Yea, ninja's with one arm or one leg would still fight you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom