Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Devil May Cry HD Collection

sullynathan

Arcane
Dante's campaign up until the dying 5 times in a row on the final boss
the final boss is an increase in difficulty for an otherwise easy game. Every attack from him does a lot of damage and there's a lot of tracking. Plus it's ridiculous how you only beat the first portion by just shooting it with your pea shooter.

Last edited:

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Yeah, the boss sucks. You have to dodge constantly and just get a hit on him here or there, which is a completely different style of play than the entire game up to that point. It reminds me more of a dark souls style boss fight.

Playing DMC3. It's awesome. Each level is incredibly challenging, but also fun. So i find that once I beat a mission, I immediately replay it to do it without using any items. That said, it's much more linear than I thought it would be. Honestly, the level design isn't all that different than DMC: Remake, so I'm not sure why people shit on the remake so much. I'm only on level 4, though, so maybe that will change.

Ash

Arcane
DMC3 is somewhat linear but not as much as reboot. It's also very challenging, while remake is quite easy. But it isn't the linearity that people focus on anyway, but rather overall quality. The reboot is easy, has weak ass platforming, weak ass level design*, cringey story etc etc.

DMC1: best level design, best atmosphere, best platforming, best story.
DMC3: best combat, best challenge, introduction of fun style system.

The rest are best ignored.

*Linear or not -- DMC3 is linear yet decent quality linear. Reboot's level design is so unimaginative, unengaging and uninspired. Even the club level where things get very unusual, it's mostly all for show. There is no actual level design per se, just spectacle.

Ivan

Arcane
I somehow ended up completing both the Dante and the girl campaigns in DMC2. I did the Lucia (sp?) campaign first and hers is incredibly boring, which is what made me hate the game. Her whole campaign just seems tacked on and pointless and she doesn't play differently enough from Dante to make it seem like anything other than a reskin. I started the Dante campaign after, merely out of curiosity, and I ended up finishing it as it really wasn't as bad as the Lucia campaign. He has a bunch of extra levels, some interesting set pieces, and is way more fun.

DMC 2 is definitely massive decline from DMC 1, but both campaigns only take about 4-5 hours each and are absurdly easy (I didn't die once during the lucia campaign, and didn't die at all during Dante's campaign up until the dying 5 times in a row on the final boss). So they can be easily rushed if you are super OCD and want to play the whole series.

Now move on to DMC 3, Ninja Gaiden and Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams.

Be warned that Ninja Gaiden's features atrocious platforming, so much so that it was the reason I dropped my playthrough.

Ash

Arcane
Be warned that Ninja Gaiden features prestigious platforming, so much so that it was the reason I dropped my playthrough.

Ivan

Arcane
How much of an improvemt is Dawn of Dreams over 3? I found that to be an enoyable enough game as a teenager, though I do remember it being a much simpler action game, much more along the lines of DMC 1 than DMC 3.

sullynathan

Arcane
best combat
bullshit. DMC 4 has the best combat in any hack & slasher

How much of an improvemt is Dawn of Dreams over 3?
just from parts of the first level I played. It's more like DMC without jumping. Combat definitely felt better than the previous 3 games but the emulator I played with isn't perfect for the game. Lots of slowdown in the menu, and the game has rpg style inventory now.

Honestly, the level design isn't all that different than DMC: Remake
you can't visit previous areas in DMC remake, you can in most of DMC 3. It also has puzzles here and there and more mission variety.

Ash

Arcane
DMC4 has Nero and that whole part of the game.
rating_shit.png

Dawn of Dreams is a fun ARPG hybrid, and quite a bit different from previous Onimushas. Generally good all around except critical spam drags it down a bit.

Ninja Gaiden Black/Sigma?! Come ooooooooooooon man

The platforming is fine and very fun. The camera can be a challenge to fight with, but it's not a deal breaker and using the reset camera rotation button is key.

It's people like you that is the reason why platforming barely exists in action games anymore.
rating_negativeman.png

How much of an improvemt is Dawn of Dreams over 3? I found that to be an enoyable enough game as a teenager, though I do remember it being a much simpler action game, much more along the lines of DMC 1 than DMC 3.

In what world is DMC1 "much simpler" than DMC3? Aside from the style upgrade system and slightly deepened combat there is little added complexity, arguably lesser since DMC1 was notably less linear than 3 was.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Sorry yeah, been a loooong time and I barely remember the game. It's Dante they bring back halfway in, reset some of your progression (style abilities) AND ask you to retread old levels.

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane

Ivan

Arcane
In what world is DMC1 "much simpler" than DMC3? Aside from the style upgrade system and slightly deepened combat there is little added complexity, arguably lesser since DMC1 was notably less linear than 3 was.

I was referring to the on the fly weapon switching. It blew my mind that you could switch freely between 2 melee and 2 projectile weapons instantaneously and continue a combo.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Nero's gameplay is pretty nice, good for introducing DMC to people who haven't played any DMC games before, and while it has fewer options compared to Dante's, it still have enough variation not to get boring. Unfortunately, I found the advanced revving mechanics too demanding for my reflex.

Also I think most people here rate DMCs by their combat mechanics, so they mostly forgive the embarrassing shit that was having Dante's mission a recycle of Nero's.

It was refreshing though, to actually play DMC 1 and enjoy a more "raw" gameplay and a better atmosphere compared to its more polished successors. (Although I think the snow castle in 4 is pretty atmospheric)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom