Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Dex - a 2D Cyberpunk Sidescrolling RPG

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dreadlocks/dex-cyberpunk-2d-rpg
Steam Greenlight: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=194346841

http://en.dreadlocks.cz/games/dex/

https://af.gog.com/game/dex?as=1649904300

Explore the futuristic city of Harbor Prime and meets its many inhabitants, answer the challenges the city has to offer, roam the neon-lit streets, and augment your character with skills and implants.

Designed as a tribute to the classic RPGs from the ‘90s, updated for a modern audience, Dex invites you to become part of a living, breathing cyberpunk universe as you decide which ultimate path you will embrace.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/269650/

I like the visuals, the atmosphere. The combat looks like a beat-em-up game.

Last edited by a moderator:

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/dex-released-on-steam-early-access.93654/
But as an alpha it's pretty promising.
dunno. besides graphics the rest is pretty meh and doesn't show much potential. the music is terrible, the writing shows that whoever is making it doesn't speak english properly, and the rpg system is pretty terribly shallow by the look of the skills. a cyberpunk game without social skills is pretty derp, as are skills that pretty much just raise effects. this really isn't much of an rpg.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
anyhoo, don't be surprised if some other mod decides to move this to gg, although personally i'm leaving it here since it's on par with mass effect as an rpg failure.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
anyhoo, don't be surprised if some other mod decides to move this to gg, although personally i'm leaving it here since it's on par with mass effect as an rpg failure.
I'm okay with that. And here:

KkFq.jpg

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
yeah, i know. i'm making a thread about it in site feedback now.

If only the RPG part didn't look so simplistic. Skills and dialogues seem very poor. And I don't get that this is supposed to be a "homage" to 90's RPG's? Like what? Super Nintendo "RPG's"? Seems more like a homage to Mass Effect "RPG" only in a different setting.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
If only the RPG part didn't look so simplistic. Skills and dialogues seem very poor. And I don't get that this is supposed to be a "homage" to 90's RPG's? Like what? Super Nintendo "RPG's"? Seems more like a homage to Mass Effect "RPG" only in a different setting.
it's a crossover between flashback/another world and beat'em up rpgs like river city ransom or the dnd arcade games, so still 90s rpgs, just not the ones you normally think of.

Are they planning on expanding the systems and dialogue or is this the depth they are aiming for? If it improves by 50% in depth I might consider it, as it looks atmospheric.

zeitgeist

Magister
Option to play as any of the NPC/enemy character sprites instead of the one currently used for the main character please.

almondblight

Arcane
Seems to me more like someone considers metroidvanias RPGs.

It's more of a 2D Deus Ex. Note sure why anyone wouldn't consider it an RPG, it has stat based gameplay as well as choices and consequences. It's also open world - there aren't any levels, just a big city to explore (populated areas with shops and civilians, isolated areas with thugs and crumbling infrastructure).

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Are they planning on expanding the systems and dialogue or is this the depth they are aiming for? If it improves by 50% in depth I might consider it, as it looks atmospheric.
check this bro

The current Early Alpha (as of August 2014) offers:
Over ten hand-crafted locations to explore within an open-world futuristic city
Several NPCs, traders, and quests givers
A couple of side-quests
Four enemy types
Raw version of the combat system (brawler-style, arcade melee combat)
Raw version of the stealth system (field of view, backstabs)
Only a handful of hours to complete all the content present in Early Alpha
Limited character development options (several skills are implemented and around ten implants are available for augmenting your character)
Limited inventory item set (to be expanded in development)
High chance for your feedback, suggestions, and ideas to actually influence the final game

Important aspects missing at the moment:
Cyberspace and hacking functionality (A big update with this feature set will be released around September, 2014.)
Main storyline (The version you can play right now is “open world/exploration”-style with no beginning and no end – only characters to talk to or trade with, enemies to deal with, side missions and puzzles to solve, and opportunities to explore.)
No tutorial (You can access the Help screen for controls under F1. There is no tutorial yet, so as of this moment, the game is recommended for more experienced players. We intend to integrate a tutorial during the final phase of development.)

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
a more important question would be whether they intend to hire a writer who speaks proper english...

mettalhed

Educated
it's a crossover between flashback/another world and beat'em up rpgs like river city ransom or the dnd arcade games, so still 90s rpgs, just not the ones you normally think of.

Wouldn't necessarily call this an RPG, but that sounds like an awesome mix and the trailer looks like it could deliver. I'm loving the overall style and i like the non linear approach. We'll see if it actually lives up to what they are promising, but it's definitely one to keep an eye on.

Looks cool. Appreciate any updates from people who are playing.

Same here. I'm especially wondering about the controls and how the beat'em up aspect feels.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom