Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 1 is pretty swell

epikitscheesy

Liturgist
Since the Diablo 3 open beta is over, I decided to go through Diablo 1 and 2 again as I wait for May 15th -- hey, I like Diablo 3: fucking sue me if it bothers you that much.[...]
At least you're honest about it.
I see far more people glorifying what was interesting in that it was new back then.

Personally, I'm not a combat fag, but the bsb clickfestival is what keeps me, to be perfectly plain

Rpgsaurus Rex

I installed the game w/ Hell mod a few days ago. By the way, the mod has a no-CD patch included and doesn't even require installation. You just unzip the folder where you want it and copy the diablo.mpq file into the directory. Done.

The mod itself seems pretty cool. It increases the size of the dungeon by about 50% and adds tons of new items, monsters etc.

Does Hell mod increase the size of the Diablo I dungeon, or the Hellfire dungeon? (please quote/reply, I'm not following this thread and really want to know)

If you mean does "the Hell" include Hellfire expansion dungeons, then yes (including "The Defiler" boss). Not sure if they're bigger than in the original, though.

On the subject of Nox, it's a fantastic game and a must-play in its own right. It feels COMPLETELY different from Diablo though. It's like a Tim Burton type fairytale in a fantasy world, instead of Diablo's grimdark "we're all fucked". Also it's all about this feel of escapist adventure and running around being a hero as opposed to Diablo's addictive"1 more level worth of loot, yay".

Edwin

Scholar
I see far more people glorifying what was interesting in that it was new back then.

New things are good,in the 90s you never knew what to expect when you installed a new game without reading boring reviews now everything is the same boring shit I have seen plenty times

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Aren't there better alternatives to Diablo 1? Like Divinity 2?
Absolutely not. Divinity 2 has bad loot tables, its bestiary isn't as varied, and its levels aren't as expansive.
Well, Divinity 2 is a diablo-like and has different, well developed strengths. It's a very good game and I'd consider it better than Diablo, but yeah, definitely not an alternative to Diablo for someone expecting a diablo-style of fun.
Yeah, Divine Divinity should have been mentioned instead.

kingcomrade22

Educated
I have fond memories of Diablo 1 co-op, played over 56k.
Diablo 1 without expansion is the only game in the series.

Kitako

Arcane
Diablo 1 still doesn't have a nocd worth a damn (still needs registration on every computer too).

This annoys me (i own the original cd)
You can register your cd-key with a Blizzard account and download the client directly from their site, this shouldn't need the physical CD.
At least I did it with D2 and Starcraft 1.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Edit: :necro:

Diablo 1 and 2 both have amazing atmosphere, yeah some of the enemies are lame like the catgirls but it's a slight blemish in my opinion. The art in D2 is still miles ahead of most games, the cinematics are still not bested in my opinion and the music is the best Matt Uelmen's ever done and he's a genius if you ask me.

The important part is the gameplay and D2's is fun but deeply flawed in my opinion. Diablo 1 is a more simple, mor focused version. Not really as good as I'd like but I'd call it better designed than Diablo 2.

I'm playing through D1 with a friend right now using the HD mod.

Man these games just make me wish a real rpg had as good an atmosphere, art and music.

I don't consider them rpg's, more action games with roleplay elements.

Last edited:

Neanderthal

Arcane
Darkness were actually fucking scary in Diablo especially when you heard Goatmen bleats coming from it followed by a shitload of arrows or them acidballs from them dog things, and then there were Hidden from Halls of Blind. Or first going down into Catacombs and hearing what seemed like a baby crying in the distance, fucking eery if I do say so mesen. And them quests that you never knew were gonna turn up or not, Arkane's Valour, Leoric, Butcher, Poisoned Water, you'd never catch a dev hiding content like that now.

Wish me disc hadn't crumbled in centre, buy that off GOG in a flat minute.

Even art design were better, hadn't gone that cartoon direction yet, always saw Div Div as proper sequel to this game much more so than D2.

Aenra

Some strong /necro powers here :)

- Anyway, now that i saw the thread, there is an unofficial patch (nothing altered, just a 'tweaked' d3d9.dll) for Vista, 7, or newer OS:

Features:
  • Window and Full Screen Mode
  • No Corrupted Desktop Colors
  • Multiple Resolutions in Window Mode and Fullscreen
  • V-Sync On/Off
  • Screenshots Saved as PNG Files
  • Proper Aspect Ratio in Full Screen Mode
  • Easy In-game Menu Configuration Of Video Settings
  • Should Work With All Versions and Expansions (Tested with Diablo 1.0, 1.09, Hellfire 1.0)
http://www.strangebytes.com/index.php/projects/1-diablo-1-windows-7-vista-patch=60

Note that the above is for Hellfire as well
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Unofficial Hellfire patch (you do not need the official 1.01 patch, run this straight from vanilla version):

Bug fixes:

- Fixed the Random Reseed, this allows for more random monster behaviour and to-hit chance, making long missing streaks less likely to occur
- Characters will no longer block magical attacks to which they have any resistance, this will help prevent characters from getting stuck in their blocking animation
- Monsters now regenerate at a noticable rate, this rate is double in Nightmare and doubled again in Hell difficulty
- Fixed bug with Splash Attack code so that characters will now have a reduced to-hit chance and damage on the two additional targets
- Fixed bug that caused monsters AC to wrap around to 0 in Hell diffulty, now monsters will have very high AC in Hell
- Fixed bug which prevented players with a version of DirectX greater than v3 from changing their volume in game
- Fixed Doppleganger prefix to no longer work on golems, as this could crash the game
- Fixed Barbarian's Rage skill so that it no longer removes life, as this was very buggy and life could be returned by moving items in your inventory
- Mana Shield now no longer subtracts too much life when it is removed through damage
- Mana Shield now no longer becomes worse at reducing damage taken as the spell level increases, now all levels of Mana Shield have a 33% damage reduction
- Flash now deals the correct amount of damage to monsters in all 9 possible locations around the caster
- The Jog/Walk in town option now works in Multiplayer mode
- All oils can now drop in Multiplayer mode
- All shrines can now occur in Multiplayer mode
- The Enchanted Shrine effect can now be obtained from Cauldrons and Goat Shrines beyond dungeon level 8
- Black Deaths now no longer remove a point of Max Life when they hit a character
- Fascinating, Sacred and Ornate Shrines now remove a point of the Magic stat rather than reducing Maximum Mana by 10%
- King Leoric can now resurrect skeletons in Multiplayer mode as well as Singleplayer
- The Warlord of Blood quest now occurs on dungeon level 13 in Multiplayer mode as well as in Singleplayer mode (I noticed after testing that reactivating this one quest for multiplayer was possible without causing any significant desynching problems. Any other quests do seem to cause problems).
- Balrog AI has been improved so that they no longer pause for several seconds when deciding between casting Inferno or attacking in melee
- Unique monsters that were set to spawn on dungeon levels where their base monster could not appear have been corrected
- Unique monsters have been added to the Hives and the Crypts levels
- Many weapon prefixes and suffixes could not appear on staves in previous versions, these have now been added to staves to give Monks more weapons options. The "of blocking" suffix can now appear on staves as well as shields again to give monks more options
- Due to errors in the Unique Item data table such as many unique items of the same base item type sharing the same ilevel, and many unique items have an ilevel lower than the ilevel of their base item type it was very difficult or impossible for many unique items to drop, these errors have been corrected so that all unique items have a fairly even chance of dropping on all difficulty levels in Multiplayer and Singleplayer modes

And more..

http://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/thread-15760.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Kraszu

Prophet
From mods check "Back to Hellfire" mod for D2 http://bth.d2mods.info/main.php . It has classes, and skills like D2 but to learn skill you need to find books for it (and be at the right level). It is much more fun this way as you have to use skills that you had found not just choose few of the best ones. It also has new skills, new classes, and new enemies.

Severian Silk

I bought D2 once at Goodwill or whatever. It had a missing Disc 1 so I never played it.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Diablo 1 is really ancient but I was there to play it. Back then I enjoyed games more I think. Now it's old as frak, but possibly still a good play, and a classic.

Machocruz

Arcane
. And them quests that you never knew were gonna turn up or not, Arkane's Valour, Leoric, Butcher, Poisoned Water, you'd never catch a dev hiding content like that now.

The best thing about the game, imo. Gave a simple game a lot of replay value, made it less predictable. A brilliant feature.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I remember fondly the panic "Mmmmm fresh meat" caused to my young self back then... I think I was randomly running away for 3 minutes until I got my breath back

Thal

Prophet
I have a lot of good memories of multiplayer in Diablo 2...when I didn't yet know how to play it.

I also have few vague nondescript memories of multiplayer in Diablo 2...after I had learned to game it.

Curiously, the latter time period was several times longer than the former.

Never played D1 beyond the demo. Is it more like a game than D2?

Siobhan

Arbiter
But D2 has more replayability, due to more classes and items.
Don't agree. D1 with Hellfire expansion had a decent number of classes (fighter, rogue, sorcerer, monk, bard, barbarian), randomized dungeons, randomized enemys per level, and random quest selection. D2 allowed a greater variety of builds, but in all other respects it's way more monotonous and grindy. I've definitely finished D1 many more times than D2, but I also despise multiplayer, which is what D2 was designed for.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Diablo 1 was by far the most atmospheric game in PC, ever. Mechanically Diablo 2 was better but couldn't get the feeling of the first one so well.
And yeah my repressed memories from the playground helped octavious

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom