Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 1

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
What kind of engine was used in Diablo 1 ? Even today the graphics look decent and the atmosphere is superb

diablo-1-5-1.png

i5ydM7UoDjgQc.png

712d2ed67068e3cf24cb17a1d6c20390.jpg

Siobhan

Arbiter
Yeah, the graphics are awesome, but that's where the awesome stops with this game.
A novel and daring proposition, worthy of a codex discussion.

But are there any other games that use the D1 engine? Is D2 using a tweaked version, or a completely new engine? Quite generally, how come 2D engines are much less talked about than 3D engines? Infinity Engine and SCUMM are among the very few with strong brand name recognition.

pippin

The Tristram theme is one of the best pieces of music of any videogame.
iirc Uelmen also did the music for Torchlight, and it shows.

UglyBastard

Arcane
Diablo 1 is actually still one of the best Hack'n'Slay games ever today. It's grim atmosphere is superior to every other game of the genre.

Try "The Hell" mod for the ultimate Diablo experience with an altered progression curve, lots of (very fitting) additional content and some nice comfort features (like a storage in town and a second weapon slot).

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Diablo 1 is actually still one of the best Hack'n'Slay games ever today. It's grim atmosphere is superior to every other game of the genre.

Try "The Hell" mod for the ultimate Diablo experience with an altered progression curve, lots of (very fitting) additional content and some nice comfort features (like a storage in town and a second weapon slot).

And a Butcher with 10,000 HP that takes hours to kill?

UglyBastard

Arcane
And a Butcher with 10,000 HP that takes hours to kill?

Progression gets a bit tedious at the last difficulty ("Doom") which requires a lot of grinding. This is where I actually stopped because I got bored, but that was after 40-50 hours of entertaining gameplay, so I think I got my money's worth ($0). 10.000 HP isn't even that much when you are doing 500-1000 a swing. I think the Butcher on Doom actually has 50k HP, but these numbers cannot be compared to the vanilla game because endgame gear got upscaled as well.

otsego

Cipher
Is there any way The Hell mod could be combined with this HD version?

Unfortunately no. The HD mod is more than an up-res, it has its own quests and items built into it. Its very fun and often challenging and feels like an improved and complete diablo (whereas the Hell FEELS like a mod, though its awesome).

It seems development stopped a few months ago. They were working on multiplayer but not a peep for a while.[/QUOTE]

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah, the graphics are awesome, but that's where the awesome stops with this game.

Wrong, some of the best game music ever is from Diablo I.

Dude, you know what, you're right. I stand corrected.

I had entirely forgotten about the Diablo soundtrack. It's not every day I replay shitty ARPG wannabe roguelikes from the nineties for their soundtrack and graphics, you know.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
The sound and atmosphere: I think this is why I still return to Diablo every once in a while, and why I still think Civilization II is the best Civ. Around that time, games started to be taking advantage of CD audio with high audio quality playing off the CD as you play, and I still like the music from Civ 2 (and the movies when you create a Wonder.)

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Civ 2 is one of the very, very, very few games where the soundtrack annoys me. I have played an obscene amount of Civ 2 and eventually I just turned off the music. I usually never do that.

That said, the Wonder music was typically existing music. Isaac Newton's college has a piece by Vivaldi which is one of my favourite pieces of classical music from that period.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
iirc Uelmen also did the music for Torchlight, and it shows.

:bro:

This.

And yes, Diablo still rocks, these I actually like it better than Diablo 2, despite back then I had spent more time on the latter. It's gameplay and atmosphere at their purest, and the nice graphics are just a corollary. Get down there, shit your pants, kill stuff, rinse (pun intended) and repeat. It is quite an addictive process, which will easily suck the player in the neverending downward spiral of "just one more room/floor/levelup!". And that's before the number-crunching and the endless-yet-not pointless farming for that sword with the 0.00002 more DPS.

Above all, Diablo manages to stay absolutely fun and entertaining no matter the approach: casual, grinder, HC, etc. Plus, Diablo (the bad guy), is actually one of the most badass bosses ever designed, at least visually speaking.

Last edited:
Yes, Diablo 1 is awesome. I often wondered how great would be if someone made a crpg in Diablo 1 world. An open world like Fallout or Arcanum, only in a gothic horror Diablo setting, with dangerous (and scary) countryside where "dark riders" roam and dilapidated villages litter the countryside as only a few survivors cling to hellish egzistence. Of course, improved character system and dialogue. Itemization would be great as it is, only expanded as the game would be expanded and bigger too. And most of all, horror semi realistic experience. Diablo 1 was the first (and only) isometric game I was scared to play as a kid. :oops:

DraQ

Arcane
Repeat after me:

New graphics gets old.
Good graphics stays good.

That's Diablo 2.
:troll:

And that's before the number-crunching and the endless-yet-not pointless farming for that sword with the 0.00002 more DPS.
Um, you couldn't really grind in D1. Not unless you restarted all the time.
And if you did that you probably went for some badass uniques (thinking cap + find the right shrine to make it more durable) rather than vanishing DPS increments.

Anyway, D1 was not an RPG but still atmospheric as fuck H&S. Plus the roguelite mechanics such as heavy randomization kept it from getting boring for a long time.
The crunch was also good, with little bloat and decent mechanical diversity for such a simple system.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
And that's before the number-crunching and the endless-yet-not pointless farming for that sword with the 0.00002 more DPS.
Um, you couldn't really grind in D1. Not unless you restarted all the time.
And if you did that you probably went for some badass uniques (thinking cap + find the right shrine to make it more durable) rather than vanishing DPS increments.

I usually consider "grinding" a term with a fairly broad meaning, so anything that requires re-doing the same thing (kill mob/clear floor/open chest/kill boss/whatever) over and over again counts as grinding. In fact, one could argue that the core gameplay of Diablo is the grind itself.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Damn, I feel a Diablo vs. Diablo 2 battle coming on.

They're different games as far as I'm concerned. Diablo 1 is a tight, atmospheric, real time, semi-roguelike hack and slash while Diablo 2 is a treasure hunting sim for multiplayer addicts that replaced amazing gothic setting of the first game with desert catwomen and forest midgets, the only thing I enjoyed in Diablo 2 was Act 1 and cinematics.

Yes, Diablo 1 is awesome. I often wondered how great would be if someone made a crpg in Diablo 1 world. An open world like Fallout or Arcanum, only in a gothic horror Diablo setting, with dangerous (and scary) countryside where "dark riders" roam and dilapidated villages litter the countryside as only a few survivors cling to hellish egzistence. Of course, improved character system and dialogue. Itemization would be great as it is, only expanded as the game would be expanded and bigger too. And most of all, horror semi realistic experience. Diablo 1 was the first (and only) isometric game I was scared to play as a kid. :oops:

:bro:

Diablo 1 had one of the best game settings I've seen, such a shame no one used it as an inspiration for a more classic RPG type.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Good morning sir, have you heard the good news? Could I interest you in a Fallout discussion? :troll:
I prefer the superior settings, too :negative:

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2

Everyone keeps bringing that track up ad nauseam, as if it was the best the soundtrack had to offer.
Caves
Dungeon

Diablo was a relatively short, perfectly paced, coherent throughout (design plus art-wise) and "to the point" hack&slash which perfectly knew what it wanted to be and never overstayed its welcome. The fact it absolutely nailed the atmosphere and the feeling of a slow descent into the deepest recesses of a haunted, hell-infested place is but a cherry on top, elevating the core elements of the entire experience to a memorable whole.

Last edited:

Ninjerk

Arcane
I especially liked how hopeless the setting was. Leoric resists Diablo but is driven mad and just ends up doing what Diablo probably would have had him doing in the first place. If that can happen to a king, what hope have ye mortals?

DraQ

Arcane
I usually consider "grinding" a term with a fairly broad meaning, so anything that requires re-doing the same thing (kill mob/clear floor/open chest/kill boss/whatever) over and over again counts as grinding. In fact, one could argue that the core gameplay of Diablo is the grind itself.
Well, yeah, except no.
You can't really repeat things in Diablo as monsters and loot don't respawn, so you are dealing with finite supply of XP and loot throughout the game.
And if you insist that exploration is grind, there will be facestabbings.
They're different games as far as I'm concerned. Diablo 1 is a tight, atmospheric, real time, semi-roguelike hack and slash while Diablo 2 is a treasure hunting sim for multiplayer addicts that replaced amazing gothic setting of the first game with desert catwomen and forest midgets, the only thing I enjoyed in Diablo 2 was Act 1 and cinematics.
Cinematics were grorious, butI didn't even like Act 1 because large part of it was running around giant, walled off lawn and ganking zombies for their lunch money.
The strongest act was probably Act 2, but then again it's where catgirls and a lot of similar retarded shit started.
It was the most consistent one with what could be expected based on D1 ending, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom