Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 2 Median XL Zeta - announced

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
If you don't know what Median XL is, read THIS for an introduction (all the links are there). It's probably the most uber and hardcore overhaul mod for Diablo 2, keeping an ol' classic still kickin and a relevant alternative to current gen offerings in this genre.

For those who may get confused Google searching - cuz the results can easily lead you astray into the distant past - first there was Median XL classic (ie Laz's original stuff), then there was Median XL: Ultimative (ie MarcoNecroX takes over - XVc), now there's gonna be Median XL: Zeta, then eventually Median XL: Sigma (which gets into hardcoded modifications of Diablo 2..).

Anyway, the Zeta announcement:

Mon Feb 16, 2015.

Median XL: Zeta will be a series of transitionary patches between the Median XL: Ultimative and Median XL: Sigma series.

Q: is this a bad thing?
A: let me explain this. Ultimative started as a small spin-off project that was supposed to contain just a new uberquest and a few small improvements. Eventually, it got quite popular and became the standard version for most users and the online environment a little before patch v7. Before that, an ambicious project called Sigma emerged, with the intentions to add hardcoding to the mod, which basically translates to more features that would not be possible without modifying the core engine, such as: increased resolution, infinite amount of levels/uberquests, item affixes, morphs and states (where infinite = more than we'll ever use). Due to the complexity of this project, no playable release exists yet.

Q: so what is Zeta?
A: this is just another ultimative patch. It just has a more appropiate naming. Transitionary patches - in other words: patches that are being balanced and shaped around Sigma's engine, whenever it is finished - have started since the X series and afterwards. But for commodity, the name stayed the same. However, these patches have brought us content that was planned to be sigma-exclusive, such as the new character skills in XV, and many other features.

Q: I still haven't heard what the new features are...
A: content & rebalance. Content, because, this is Median, and this is how we roll. You can expect new items, uberquests, overhauls, and who knows what else. As for rebalance, this includes tweaks and bugfixes. But, particullary in these series, there will be notoriously big balance tweaks. To give a bit more detail: item drops, charms, and items. These three are currently needing balance improvements to make the difficulty curve among all players more fair. Currently, there are too many gamechanging items/charms: in this state, some of these items/charms become a necessity to continue playing, to the point where you cannot make further progress if you haven't completed a series of uberquests or obtained certain items. This forces a few undesired events such as players feeling they need to create other classes for certain uberquests or grind signets like maniacs or trade their lucky finds to feed those who can steamroll the tricky uberquests to get you a charm. The idea is to make the game more ongoing and natural.

Q: I just want to know the release date!
A: this will be released when the new forums come live.

HYPE!

Awh yeah! I feel myself burning out on my NWN marathon, so I'll probably plunge back into the Diablo 2 black hole when Zeta is released.

Last edited:

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
This still looks like ridicolous shit, even more so.

'Uber hardcore' indeed :lol:

Gregz

Arcane
Median XL is the best mod for any game ever, but without Brother Laz at the helm anymore it's hard to say if this will be incline or decline.

Time will tell.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The only changes I'd really want brought to Diablo 2 are not capable with a lack of low level access.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This looks like the ARPG version of a bullet hell. All that bloom, hurts my eyes dammit.

Perkel

Arcane
uhh i tried once Median XL.

Start the game --- > fight hordes of aura buffed zombies at first area.

That is not how you make diablo 2 better. This is how shitty angsty modder makes it worse.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

That is not how you make diablo 2 better. This is how shitty angsty modder makes it worse.
You prefer the enemies that die in one hit and can never actually hit you because they're dead before they get halfway across the screen?

DraQ

Arcane

You prefer the enemies that die in one hit and can never actually hit you because they're dead before they get halfway across the screen?
So, ones that are like strawmen, in a way?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom