Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 3 - Reaper of Idiots

It depends, if you are looking for a few hours of mindless smashing and that's how you see diablo games in general, you should get it. Combat is the only thing they got right though. Stay away from HC too (if you'll get a pc version), random disconnect will kill you sooner or later.

If you are looking for complexity and variety of builds/skills/items and such, grab any of the numerous d2 mods. Even Titan Quest is better to be honest.

aris

Arcane
It depends, if you are looking for a few hours of mindless smashing and that's how you see diablo games in general, you should get it. Combat is the only thing they got right though. Stay away from HC too (if you'll get a pc version), random disconnect will kill you sooner or later.

If you are looking for complexity and variety of builds/skills/items and such, grab any of the numerous d2 mods. Even Titan Quest is better to be honest.
Diablo 3 has a much larger variety of items than diablo 2 had. Diablo 2 was pretty much only about getting +1 all skills items, Diablo 3 has ended up doing something more interesting. As for variety of builds, at this point, it is at least on par with Diablo 2.

eH8yg2R.gif

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
There's no reason to play Diablo 3 when there's Path of Exile. D3 does nothing better than PoE.

Terpsichore

Arcane

Diablo 3 has a much larger variety of items than diablo 2 had. Diablo 2 was pretty much only about getting +1 all skills items, Diablo 3 has ended up doing something more interesting. As for variety of builds, at this point, it is at least on par with Diablo 2.

D2 had meaningul and interesting itemization, which was the game's strong point. D3 follows the itemlevel scaling WoW bullshit where everything is the same and there's way too much loot nobody cares about..

aris

Arcane

D2 had meaningul and interesting itemization, which was the game's strong point. D3 follows the itemlevel scaling WoW bullshit where everything is the same and there's way too much loot nobody cares about..
What exactly, besides +all resistance and +all skills? I've played Diablo 2 since launch and through 10 years, I know that game, and I also don't view it through a filter of nostalgia.

Terpsichore

Arcane
There's a myriad of possible mods and the game itself has many mechanics. Look up some D2 database to refresh your memory.

aris

Arcane
There's a myriad of possible mods and the game itself has many mechanics. Look up some D2 database to refresh your memory.
My memory is already plenty fresh, which I suspect is not the case for you. As I told you, I've played that game a lot. And mods are not part of the original game.

aron searle

Arcane
What exactly, besides +all resistance and +all skills? I've played Diablo 2 since launch and through 10 years, I know that game, and I also don't view it through a filter of nostalgia.

Skills that you class can't have, faster casting, auras, enchants, chance to cast.

I can't remember picking up any Item in D3 that wasnt basically +attribute +damage +resist.

Maybe reaper changed that, can't be arsed to re-install to find out.

abija

Prophet
I can't remember picking up any Item in D3 that wasnt basically +attribute +damage +resist.

Maybe reaper changed that, can't be arsed to re-install to find out.
And seeing that D2 is shit, D3 must be really horrible.
Seems that d2 is still superior, not surprised at all.
RPG codex in a nutshell.

RoS changed all that btw. Too bad they went overboard with it because apparently game devs can't into middle ground.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Got it for ps4 and it feels like those old side-scrolling brawlers from the 90's with the direct control of the character.Run and gun through hordes of mobs. Good for what it is i guess.

And i play it off-line.:prosper:

Angthoron

Arcane
RoS changed all that btw. Too bad they went overboard with it because apparently game devs can't into middle ground.
Yeah, there's a lot of unique item effects now, some of which make everything else obsolete, or completely change the way you'll play the class.

For example:
qxvGFCP.png

R1rYkdY.png

And a whole bunch of other stuff.

The problem isn't the loot anymore, really, and not even the lack of builds, because thanks to some of these items, you'll actually want to build in certain ways. The problem is that the gameplay is still what it is, and while it can be entertaining for a bit, there's no way for it to not grow stale, unless you have serious autism issues or, well, are time-stressed to play anything else that's more meaningful. A friend of mine got a kid recently, and now D3 is all he plays because it's all he believes he can play with constant needing to back up his wife with child alerts.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
A friend of mine got a kid recently, and now D3 is all he plays because it's all he believes he can play with constant needing to back up his wife with child alerts.

If your friend has time to play games while having a wife and a child, i'd say he has greater issues than worrying about what game to play.

Last edited:

Angthoron

Arcane
A friend of mine got a kid recently, and now D3 is all he plays because it's all he believes he can play with constant needing to back up his wife with child alerts.

If your friend has time to play games while having a wife and a child, i'd say he has greater issues than worrying about what game to play.
Perhaps he does, perhaps he doesn't. I'm not sure you should be an unasked expert on a third-party stranger's completely undetailed personal life.

aris

Arcane
Yeah, there's a lot of unique item effects now, some of which make everything else obsolete, or completely change the way you'll play the class.

For example:
qxvGFCP.png

R1rYkdY.png

And a whole bunch of other stuff.

The problem isn't the loot anymore, really, and not even the lack of builds, because thanks to some of these items, you'll actually want to build in certain ways. The problem is that the gameplay is still what it is, and while it can be entertaining for a bit, there's no way for it to not grow stale, unless you have serious autism issues or, well, are time-stressed to play anything else that's more meaningful. A friend of mine got a kid recently, and now D3 is all he plays because it's all he believes he can play with constant needing to back up his wife with child alerts.
I get tired of it every once in a while, but I usually regain interest when a patch comes a long. Is there seriously any game that doesn't grow stale in the long run though?

Angthoron

Arcane
I get tired of it every once in a while, but I usually regain interest when a patch comes a long. Is there seriously any game that doesn't grow stale in the long run though?
Transport Tycoon, of course.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

Perhaps he does, perhaps he doesn't. I'm not sure you should be an unasked expert on a third-party stranger's completely undetailed personal life.
I'm not sure you should be talking about your friends personal habits without asking him on a public forum:hero:

Angthoron

Arcane

:shunthenonbeliever::hero:
:M

I sense a deep underlying emotional issue. Would you like to discuss it?

:hmmm:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

:shunthenonbeliever::hero:
:M

I sense a deep underlying emotional issue. Would you like to discuss it?

:hmmm:

Nope, but you can re-read it now

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom