Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 3 - Reaper of Idiots

Zerginfestor

Learned
Still waiting for them to add the Assassin or something similar. The monk and DH are nice, but I want a melee character focused on fast attacks, poison blades etc.

It's funny, they had a really fun monk attack speed build on one of the PTRs then nerfed the ever loving shit out of it. They don't seem to like pure generator builds, someone at Blizzard has a bonnet in their hat about generator -> spender -> generator -> spender cycle.

Yeah, apparently they were appalled at the idea of a unique build that goes almost entirely devoted to generator attacks, which honestly, with that Thousand Storms set, it made things hilariously easy and fun. Add that with Depth Diggers and the Fist set weapons, and you're basically a scraggly hobo-version of Kenshiro of the North Star.

abija

Prophet
They added plenty of shit to work with generators, that build was just broken both solo and in group. Good thing they fixed it, the "never nerf" mantra already power creeped the fuck out of this game.

Doktor Best

Arcane
I dont consider power creep a bad thing in diablo. Its a natural way of progression and self balancing, as no matter how unbalanced your build is, sometime there will come another build that simply ridicules yours.

And yet again with this patch, things have gotten a bit more interesting. Itemboosting on ancient items makes you think twice if you keep your perfectly rolled nonancient offhand, or switch it for a inferior one that is upgradeable.

What i still dont like is this flavour of the month build thing. They should even out the builds a bit more so players have a bit more variety in the game other than copypasting the shit those twitch lunatics serve them.

I mean 4 player metagame is simply one twister wizard and 3 support chars that do nothing else but generating healthglobes. Its really stupid.... 3 player and 2 player seems a bit more balanced.

I think they should have spaced out the set rewards across 2 or even 3 sets, instead of giving you a full one. The power jump, at least in the Crusader's case, was too ridiculous, I went from struggling at T1/2 at 2 pieces of the thorns set to blasting TX without coming close to dying once once I got all 6. I made it to grift 65 or so but then got bored out of my mind and stopped playing again.

abija

Prophet
I dont consider power creep a bad thing in diablo. Its a natural way of progression and self balancing, as no matter how unbalanced your build is, sometime there will come another build that simply ridicules yours.

What i still dont like is this flavour of the month build thing. They should even out the builds a bit more so players have a bit more variety in the game other than copypasting the shit those twitch lunatics serve them.

Well that's the problem, not power creep in itself but how extreme and selective it is. Build y is 50% better than rest, then they introduce gems/sets/items or buff some skills so 2-3 builds are 50% stronger than that one and so on.
Atm the game looks great for build variety yet the result is the same because how far ahead the flavors of the season are, direct consequence of one upping broken builds.

The multiplier on legacy of nightmares (13 x) says it all tbh, ~90% damage increase per season.

Last edited:

Black

Arcane
The numbers game in d3 is pretty retarded. They should just divide everything by 1 million or so.

bloodlover

Arcane
I got this yesterday on some sale and I am finally giving it a go. Any bros still playing? I will start a season character, probably DH. I am not sure exactly but I've mostly play amazon and pally in D2 so these things are close enough.

Angthoron

Arcane
Are you with or without the addon? I play occasionally, could give a speedlevel boost maybe, depending on your region. Playing a softcore DH.

Revenant

Lol, I just happened to buy the game and the expansion a few days ago. Leveling a season barbarian through act II for the first time, but could start a different character to level together. Add Revenant#2836 on Battle.net if you want to play together. I only play hardcore, though.

bloodlover

Arcane
Are you with or without the addon? I play occasionally, could give a speedlevel boost maybe, depending on your region. Playing a softcore DH.

Oh shit forgot to mention. Yes with expansions ofc. I am on EU softcore season.

Revenant Sry but I don't play HC bcz: 1) I am a pussy 2) My PC is not that good so I'd probably die fast to some random freeze later.

Revenant

Huh, suit yourself then. It's not that hardcore is any hard, at least on normal difficulty: with a life leeching sword my barb's health rarely drops below max. I'm sure it gets harder later on, but I don't really mind dying in higher difficulty levels (that's all the fun of playing HC, seeing how far into difficulty you can progress and afterwards massive fingernail biting).

Doktor Best

Arcane
Problem is Diablo3 profits from super fastpaced combat, and hardcore kinda restricts you to tanky builds that are just not as fun to play. Playing highlevel grifts is also something you can veeery easily die in and its the endgame of D3.

Bloodlover if you post your battletag here or pm me, i can see if i find some time to push you to 70 and find some gear for you.

Revenant

Meh, I have no interest in D3 "endgame" whatsoever, I have WoW for endgame. I bought the game to click on things and watch them explode.

bloodlover

Arcane
Done and done. Thank you.

I am level 28 with my lol DH. She is very fun to play. Found some uniques in rifts and progression is easy so far.

How exactly do season rewards work? I saw when you make a season character that you have some achivments to make and they are in four parts. So far I am 8/9 in the first one because I still need to reach level 35. Do you get the rewards after doing all the parts?

Angthoron

Arcane
Yep. There's more awards after you get the first batch of stuff, too, amounting to a free full set of (pretty OP) gear, so don't throw it away once you get them, they're awarded only once per season.

Dunno about other class sets, but the gear you get for "free" for Demon Hunter is basically Flavor of the Season gear, and you can one-shot bosses with it on like Torment X. I still prefer last season's best set but this is pretty damn good, especially if you're partied and have some other people to wipe trash and tank for you.

Revenant

Once you go hardcore, you never go back. You need to have played hardcore Diablo II on Battle.net in order to understand that.

bonescraper

I have a harcrore char in D3, yet i'm going back to my normal guys quite often. I think you won't find many codex bros to play with if you want to play hardcore only.

Revenant

That's fine, I prefer to play Diablo alone anyway. I'd even play an offline version were there one (for the PC).

Angthoron

Arcane
One of the big things that keeps me away from D3 hardcore (apart from having to play carefully) is the fact that it's not offline. A little bit of poor ping or an unfortunate DC and goodbye.

Revenant

But that's a part of the fun too. Restarting the game while cursing after a DC, agitated to look whether your character is alive or not. On the other hand, at least alt+F4 appears to work quickly in this game

Angthoron

Arcane
Eh, just not my thing, I guess. I find it tedious to level in Nu-Blizz games - perhaps largely due to the notion of "endgame" grind attached, as well as the all too quick loss of relevance of gear. I mean, yeah, you found a L36 legendary weapon! Now you're L37, this grey toothpick is better. Meh.

Revenant

Like I said, I bought the game to play it for fun. I don't even expect to hit the level cap anytime soon, much less to grind the endgame to a considerable extent. But yeah, the gear appears to be extremely streamlined by act III. However, since I'm already used to this in WoW plus being a transmog whore I find the progression still rather appealing, even if legendaries drop far more frequently compared to uniques in D2.

EDIT: where D3 really shines IMO is the visual gear progression. New tier of armor looks way better than the old one, as opposed to fixed armor sprites in D2 or similar boring looking outfits in Path of Exile. This makes your character look like he's really advancing in the game world from a total nobody into a formidable adventurer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Angthoron

Arcane
Yeah, I agree regarding visualizing gear progression, especially for Crusader. I really like the way Crusader gear looks as they follow the general aesthetics of RoS rather than the mish-mash of art styles of the vanilla.

Too bad Crusader generally feels too slow though so it's usually glasscannon DHs or Barbs for me.

And heh, speaking of WoW, my ex and I used to play it, and she had an incredible case of altoholism, just loved leveling new chars, then getting them raid-ready, and then it was like "Ang let's go dailies" and I was like fuuuuuuuuuck ok. My grand tally of level-capped, raid-ready chars was 3 (well, more like 2,5), hers was like 6. She'd probably play D3 on Hardcore and love every minute of it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom