Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 3 - Reaper of Idiots

Revenant

Hook me up with your ex.

GrainWetski

Arcane
As if you can actually die outside GR 70+ in this game. You'd have to be retarded to accomplish such a feat. No point not playing HC.

And you don't need to build and play defensively on HC. 1 or 2 defensive passives is more than enough with a movement skill(which you should always have anyway).

Playing Grim Dawn ATM and realizing that I will probably never touch Diablo III again.

This was of course after trying it out for no more than an hour the one and only time I played it.

What I hope for the future of the Diablo IP is that Blizzard returns to Diablo I's horror roots.

This would be pretty tough if not altogether impossible to pull-off with an isometric POV, though some new games like Stasis try.

However, with the bullshit that is Overwatch, I doubt that Blizzard will ever return to what made the first Diablo game great.

bonescraper

Grim Dawn is mediocre at best.

Last edited by a moderator:

Angthoron

Arcane
Blizzard's graphical design is actually quite ingenious. Back a few years ago I wrote a short article on the topic of what's behind that shit, maybe I'll dig it up if I can arse to.

TL;DR version, however, is that it's basically working to trick your brain into a more child-like state through the aesthetic choices.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Blizzard's graphical design is actually quite ingenious. Back a few years ago I wrote a short article on the topic of what's behind that shit, maybe I'll dig it up if I can arse to.

TL;DR version, however, is that it's basically working to trick your brain into a more child-like state through the aesthetic choices.
I thought it was just because the head of their graphics department was a massive weeb.

And also because cartoony graphics are easier to render, lowering system requirements and barrier to entry

Angthoron

Arcane

I thought it was just because the head of their graphics department was a massive weeb.

And also because cartoony graphics are easier to render, lowering system requirements and barrier to entry
Nope, that's only part of it.

bonescraper

Hah, no. I had more fun playing Titan Quest, and that game was bland as fuck.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
I was just thinking back on Diablo 3 as I got an urge to play D2 again. D3's release was very amusing, I had tons of pratically non-gamer friends who picked it up just because of D2 nostalgia, played it for 5-15 hours and never touched it again. These were people I no idea had ever played D2 in the first place, since it is a pretty nerdy game (still an RPG after all). I had no idea Diablo had such wide appeal.

I was the only one who stuck with it through to the (then non-existant) end-game. God this game was horrible back then, it might as well have been called "Auction House, the game". Makes me wonder how it would've been received had it been released in the state it's in right now or at least how it was post Reaper of Souls. I think the new development team did a great job to undo that hack Jay Wilson's retardation as much as possible.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I see no fundamental changes between then and now. So they improved loot, hooray. All the fundamentally retarded design decisions are still there. Even DarkD3 still hasn't been made an official graphics option.

Angthoron

Arcane
You might be prioritizing different things. D3 ROS is actually playable now, unlike D3 vanilla, largely due to removal of RMAH, massive changes to loot (and if you're gonna tell me D3 should be about something else than being a Skinner's Box... well, I have bad news for you), a fairly major difference in post-Vanilla art style, seasonal "ladder", Horadric Cube, better netcode and other such things. Obviously it's not D1 or D2, but it's not an unmitigated pile of shit either.

Revenant

Stripping legendary items of their powers and equipping them as skills added a fuckton to character customization, the lack of which was my primary criticism of the game at the time of release of vanilla. Also, Act V is much closer to traditional Diablo atmosphere than vanilla zones. One more thing, although it's regarding loot, is that Loot 2.0 enabled me to pick up everything that drops while still keeping town portals reasonably rare; as a WoW player, I really like not to having pick items to pick up and just loot everything.

Angthoron

Arcane
One thing they should really still add is give you some kind of an artifact that can instantly shard white-blue-green loot down to the base materials.

Revenant

Yeah, it's kinda weird that they decided to scrap the insta-vendoring function of the inventory that was seen in pre-release screenshots. It would have been even more convenient than unlimited TPs.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I started it up after a year and half, finally bought RoS, went through the entire campaign levelling my laser Wizard and it was a lot of fun. I enjoyed it even more than Grim Dawn I played before that. GD and PoE are too deep and time intensive for me. Here I actually prefer the casualness of Blizztards.

Is there anyone still playing this and can help me speed level some of my other dudes? Not right now, I'm asking prospectivelly just so I can :updatedmytxt:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom