Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Diablo III Accounts Hacked

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Blizzard Entertainment; Diablo III

So it looks like Blizzard hasn't been able to protect user accounts properly, as many of them are reported to have been hacked, with gold and items stolen.

Among the victims is Eurogamer's Chris Donlan:

Over the weekend Eurogamer writer Christian Donlan saw his account hacked and transferred to the control of the mysterious Anna. Her conversation with Eurogamer reviews editor Oli Welsh is documented below.

491x-1

A quick glance online shows multiple reports of Diablo 3 accounts being hacked, suggesting it is a growing issue. Players have seen the loss of items stored in character inventory and stash, and gold removed as their accounts are stripped bare. Blizzard has been working to "roll back" affected characters to a point before accounts were compromised, but some progress is lost.

The reports coincided with the EU Diablo 3 servers going offline on Sunday afternoon for around four hours, preventing players from logging in (error 33). It has been suggested that the EU servers were taken offline following a SQL injection attack, but this remains unconfirmed.​

So far Blizzard hasn't commented on the hacker attack, but it probably will in the near future. Stay tuned for more drama.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
This is pretty bush league from a company as large as Blizzard. What the fuck do they pay their people for, anyway? Not work -- that much is obvious.

Black

Arcane
Girls are evil and steal your accounts, more after this.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Pay 60$, wait for queue to play your single player game. Or not get in at all. Suffer from lag. Get your account hacked.

Blizzard is doing a great job with Diablo 3. :salute:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm waiting for the auction house to launch. Imagine the rage when people will lose real money because of things like this. It will be glorious!

kazgar

Arcane
I'm waiting for the aucition house to launch. Imagine the rage when people will lose real money because of things like this. It will be glorious!

Hackers are silly, they should've waited for that until unleashing hell.

hiver

oK,.. this is going to be a clusterfuck of all kinds of proportions it seems.

Someones trying to go into servers eh?

:hmmm:

I'm waiting for the aucition house to launch. Imagine the rage when people will lose real money because of things like this. It will be glorious!

Hackers are silly, they should've waited for that until unleashing hell.
You have to prepare dont you?
Scout the enemy territory?
and so on...?

Shervin

Educated
Blizzard is in such a deep shit ( especially if the thing J-C mentioned happens ) it's not fun to bash them anymore. Diablo 3's lunch was supposed to " tremble the heavens " , but it was all about error reports, lags and pissed off people.

made

Arcane
Blizzard is in such a deep shit
No it ain't. WoW had and prolly still has hacks, server problems, bots, stolen accounts, gold sellers... it didn't keep millions of players from funneling money into it.

This will be no different. Sheeple baww a lot but they keep paying.

20 Eyes

Liturgist
I tried to play this single player game I bought for 60 USD, but...

• The servers were under maintenance
  • Too many other people wanted to play, so I had to wait in a queue
  • My account got hacked
  • I was banned for swearing
  • I kept getting killed because of lag
This just gets more and more hilarious.

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned
Blizzard is in such a deep shit ( especially if the thing J-C mentioned happens ) it's not fun to bash them anymore. Diablo 3's lunch was supposed to " tremble the heavens " , but it was all about error reports, lags and pissed off people.

You out of your mind? It's always very, very fun to bash every company. EA, Activision, Blizzard, you name it, it's hilarious to see any fail.

Stabwound

Arcane
What's special is that there is apparently some kind of exploit that allows someone to log into your last-played character simply by capturing a session ID acquired by playing a co-op game with the victim. No password needed. Or so the story goes. I have no idea if that's what is really happening, but it seems as though the hacking is done via an exploit and not simply by stealing the user's password.

Shannow

Waster of Time
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...acknowledges-diablo-iii-hacks/#comment-page-4

Reefpirate said:
Did a lot of Codexers move in here recently or something? Talk about getting a kick out other people’s misery…

Codex is now synonymous with HATE. We are the only group that would get a raging boner at people getting their Diablo 3 accounts hacked.
:love:
Yeah right, because when the people, who have been warning you for years and years, the people you've laughed at and ridiculed, can now say "Told you so." you close your eyes to the years of warning and are simply pissed that the "haters" delight in your misfortune...
It's not like Blizzard is to blame for fucking you in the ass. It's not like you're to blame yourlves for taking it up the ass, asking for more and attacking anyone who wants to keep his ass virginal.
It's not the hackers who added anothers plug to Blizzard's fat cock up your ass.
No, it's the guys who warned you from the very start. The guys who tried to prevent the whole situation. Those deserve attacking :roll:

Ah well, sheeple gonna sheeple.

Disclaimer: "You" = corporation fanboys

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
What's funny is so far Blizzard just responded with the same boilerplate answer: blah blah blah, review the FAQ, blah blah blah get an authenticator. They refuse to admit the problem is a loophole in their own security.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
What's special is that there is apparently some kind of exploit that allows someone to log into your last-played character simply by capturing a session ID acquired by playing a co-op game with the victim. No password needed. Or so the story goes. I have no idea if that's what is really happening, but it seems as though the hacking is done via an exploit and not simply by stealing the user's password.
It seems more of an exploit indeed, because that password recovery is not that simple as usual and stealing passwords would never have worked on such a large scale (unless that got in the database and the passwords were not crypted properly.. but I don't think Blizzard would do that)

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
haha_oh_wow.jpg

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
As expected, the fanboys are defending Blizzard and blaming the people who got hacked... even the ones with an authenticator.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom