Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Did Bethesda screw up with level scaling or is it necessary?

zero29

Arbiter
...Technicalities. Just raise some content above player level or make it lower and still keep all the scaling and you have the same effect in a TES game....
wow. you say you still don't see the difference between the game deciding the level of your next enemy and you as the player choosing the level of your next target? well, then i have to reevaluate your attempt to spice up this thread as lame trolling. i'll leave you to your level scaling enhancement essays, hf.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah, indeed.
Learn to fucking read.
What I wrote was that the game could increase or decrease difficulty levels of content available to you at a certain point depending on your char's skills/level. That's a very abstract statement. How it does that, through RNG or encounter zones (and there's nothing preventing the designers from indicating their difficulty to the player so you can still choose if you want to do the hard stuff or not) or whichever means is up to the designers. Of course it can be nice to get a quest where you are out of your league and have to retreat to come back later. The Fallouts and Gothics do that and it's great. I'm merely defending the idea of levelscaling as an additional tool to prevent the game from becoming yawn-worthily easy for powergamers (the leveling mechanics in the TES games prevent that player type from actually enjoying the content, I know, I'm a powergamer myself) or completionists who maximize their XP gain.
PnP does it, why shouldn't CRPGs be allowed to do it too?

Lhynn

Arcane
Shut up golfer, world revolving around the main character is shit. level scaling is taking that shittiness to disgusting levels where the world actually changes to accomodate the player.

Its fucking shit, it goes against the very reason rpgs and character development in general exist.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Shut up golfer, world revolving around the main character is shit.
Got it. So basically every CRPG in the top 50 except for some open world ones like Morrowind and the Fallouts are shit. Because all of them tie enemy difficulty to player level because you can't avoid to level up and the designers increase difficulty for later parts of the game obviously. In many cases (especially random encounters) not because it makes any kind of sense but because they know you are level X therefore the enemy has to be approximately level X too.
Its fucking shit, it goes against the very reason rpgs and character development in general exist.
And what would that reason be exactly? Besides being entertaining escapist stuff.
PnP players know that btw, and they don't feel ashamed to play that level 5-8 adventure with their level 5 characters and expect their GM to not troll them with "guaranteed fail, come back later". OMG levelscaling!

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
Got it. So basically every CRPG in the top 50 except for some open world ones like Morrowind and the Fallouts are shit. Because all of them tie enemy difficulty to player level because you can't avoid to level up.
I cant believe you are this dumb, but ill play along. As the story progresses its normal for the player to face bigger and bigger challenges, until it reaches a climax, its just story telling, the world is not accomodating the player, more like the characters experiences allow them to face new challenges as they present themselves.
Also good games can have shit elements, no game in the top 100 list is perfect or free of sin, stop being such a retarded dumbfuck my briend.

And what would that reason be exactly?[/QUOTE]
Growing ability to affect the world around you, if the world grows in power as you do, what the fuck is the point of you growing in power?
Its fucking obvious.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Got it. So basically every CRPG in the top 50 except for some open world ones like Morrowind and the Fallouts are shit. Because all of them tie enemy difficulty to player level because you can't avoid to level up.
I cant believe you are this dumb, but ill play along. As the story progresses its normal for the player to face bigger and bigger challenges, until it reaches a climax, its just story telling, the world is not accomodating the player, more like the characters experiences allow them to face new challenges as they present themselves.
Also good games can have shit elements, no game in the top 100 list is perfect or free of sin, stop being such a retarded dumbfuck my briend.
Why the fuck do you explain this obvious stuff to me? And where did I write that I want levelscaled games only. Heck, I don't even need that mechanic except maybe for broken shit like Morrowind.
What I wanted to get at and what I'm sure you understand perfectly while just playing dumb is that a game designer creating late game areas while having an eye on player levels in that stage of the game (usually during beta-testing) and balancing both things with each other is effectively levelscaling that shit for you if you want it or not.
There's a reason that late game bandit is more powerful than the weak-sauce thug from the start and it's not "more like the characters experiences allow them to face new challenges as they present themselves." but that the designers know what fucking level you are approximately. Add a built-in mechanic that finetunes that stuff on the fly while you play and the game might even benefit from it. Who knows, maybe some good games even did that before, how am I supposed to know.
Sure, games like Fallout allow you to visit the late game bandit mutant from the start on but the novelty wears thin fast since he'll slaughter you in seconds. The path the game wants you to go is perfectly scaled to your level.
You can still deviate from that path and this is a much appreciated feature but don't expect me to be all awestruck by those hurdles the game puts in the recommended one. You don't have to retreat and come back ever when you use that path.
Growing ability to affect the world around you, if the world grows in power as you do, what the fuck is the point of you growing in power?
Dunno, mang. The eternal enigma of role playing games. They are pointless, but still much too addictive to stop playing. :M
Instant gratification wasn't invented by modern AAA games, that shit goes back way into the nineties. I respect it when people who played the really old stuff that was actually hard call me a popamole faggot, but the ones who started their CRPG obsession with IE games not so much.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
Why the fuck do you explain this obvious stuff to me? And where did I write that I want levelscaled games only. Heck, I don't even need that mechanic except maybe for broken shit like Morrowind.
No level scaling and fixed loot was the single best thing from morrowind.

What I wanted to get at and what I'm sure you understand perfectly whilejust playing dumb is that a game designer creating late game areas while having an eye on player levels in that stage of the game (usually during beta-testing) and balancing both things with each other is effectively levelscaling that shit for you if you want it or not.
We are not discussing linear games here.

There's a reason that late game bandit is more powerful than the weak-sauce thug from the start
Yeah, and its shit when it happens, good games will give you a list of reasons as to why these late games thugs are so good.

and it's not "more like the characters experiences allow them to face new challenges as they present themselves." but that the designers know what fucking level you are approximately.
Its both, taking on elite bandits on baldurs gate, or even that adventuring party of mercs made you feel like a threat to the iron throne, to the bandit alliance, etc. It gave context to your actions and your raise in power.

Add a built-in mechanic that finetunes that stuff on the fly while you play and the game might even benefit from it.
Why would you think its needed, dispaching mere bandits as a high level character can be extremely fun even if it lacks any challenge, especially if there are morale systems in place. Shit M&B does this masterfully.

Who knows, maybe some good games even did that before, how am I supposed to know.
Why the fuck are you even bringing it up if you are ignorant about it? And you are suposed to know if you are bringing that point in an argument.

Sure, games like Fallout allow you to visit the late game bandit mutant from the start on but the novelty wears thin fast
No it doesnt

since he'll slaughter you in seconds.
This is fun, load your game, try something else.

The path the game wants you to go is perfectly scaled to your level.
Is it? what path does fallout want me to do?

You can still deviate from that path and this is a much appreciated feature but don't expect me to be all awestruck by those hurdles the game puts in the recommended one.
There is no recommended path, the game doesnt scold me, the game doesnt care what i do, and i love that.

You don't have to retreat and come back ever when you use that path.
Sometimes you do, you can bite more than you can chew in fallout even on the easiest "recommended" route. Again, the game doesnt care, it leaves the player to deal with it because it trusts the player has more than a solitary functioning braincell.

Dunno, mang. The eternal enigma of role playing games. They are pointless, but still much too addictive to stop playing.
You should be playing facebook games.

Instant gratification wasn't invented by modern AAA games, that shit goes back way into the nineties.
What does this have to do with level scaling?

I respect it when people who played the really old stuff
Why? a lot of it is shit.

that was actually hard
You can find hard stuff released in the last decade too.

call me a popamole faggot
We are not talking gears of wars here, so ill just call you a faggot. Faggot.

but the ones who started their CRPG obsession with IE games not so much.
What does it matter?

Listen mate, im going to be clear, level scaling is a shit mechanic that defeats the purpose of giving the player power. It never brought anything good to the table and it never will.

zero29

Arbiter
since he'll slaughter you in seconds.
This is fun, load your game, try something else.
exactly, i don't want games to be scaled to my pc's level, no matter how efficient and balanced the scaling algorithm may be. i want a game world where ridiculously easy enemies, challenging encounters and suicide missions may peacefully coexist. well, until i come around, of course...

I think I understand NotAGolder's arguments. I agree with almost all of them.

Yes even non-linear games have to give some thought to at least giving the new player hints and cues and to putting players in reasonable environments. If a new player makes a wrong turn and gets slaughtered by a super monster, they can't say they weren't warned. As they learn how the game works and how to survive in general you can make things looser and introduce more adversity. Games usually part ways after the low levels into linear and non-linear environments, but they ALL must still have some attention given to reasonable challenges. Forcibly placing the player into an environment where they will almost never win is NOT an option. Like in Fallout, you generally will not be in a dangerous environment without some kind of warning or distance travelled.

Broadly, easing the new player into the game and putting players of all level ranges into reasonable environments is almost the same as using level-scaling. Both are an attempt to make the content appropriate and engaging.

But there's one thing which caught my eye and made me hesitate. I think he argued level-scaling is a means to ensure your opponents are not impossibly hard, so why not apply it everywhere? This way, if there's a bug or a bad design oversight, the level-scaling wil fix it. The problem I have with this is level-scaling itself can have bugs. It can be designed badly too. It all boils down to how much adversity do you want your player to experience? Should they ever have to retreat? How hard should it be? How easy should it be? In all this mes, there's lots of room for oversights and encounters which are near impossible to win in specific circumstances. To ensure everything is doable, you very nearly have to make the game easy.

I think one of hte reasons games are so HP/DPS driven is precisely because the game makers are trying to create appropriate content for the player. With more complex mechanics, it's more difficult to ensure a player has a chance. Publishers or investors want a proven and guaranteed difficulty in the game. If you can't guarantee a difficulty, you might lose funding.

This is why overdesigning bothers me. It threatens ot make games too safe. Safe isn't always bad. Sometimes I like to chill in games and wreak carnage, while doing several other things like cooking dinner. But always? Not my preference.

Last edited:

Norfleet

Broadly, easing the new player into the game and putting players of all level ranges into reasonable environments is almost the same as using level-scaling. Both are an attempt to make the content appropriate and engaging.
But there's a difference: If everything is level-scaled, then you can never find anything that is easy or hard, because everything, everywhere, is always the same. If the level distribution is done through locality, you can seek out greater challenges, or find some trash to test your new sword on, just so you can watch it go SCHWING through their scrawny pencil necks.

Lhynn

Arcane
Fuck level scaling, the entire point of save/load mechanics is that the player can make bad calls. improving at a game is an enjoyable experience that level scaling in any form hampers or outright kills, wish i could punch the retarded notion that level scaling adds anything out of you.

Crevice tab

Savant
Save scumming is much better than level scaling.

Save scumming is a choice. Level scaling: that you have to deal with regardless of your feelings about it.

I think one of hte reasons games are so HP/DPS driven is precisely because the game makers are trying to create appropriate content for the player. With more complex mechanics, it's more difficult to ensure a player has a chance. Publishers or investors want a proven and guaranteed difficulty in the game. If you can't guarantee a difficulty, you might lose funding.

Which is a stupid notion in a open world game. Open world= variety. Otherwise why have an open world game?

rezaf

Cipher
that is like choosing between god mode and utter shit. Both brake the game.

Pffft ... dat elitism.

A game has to work perfectly for players of various skill levels to begin with, which is often not the case.
If I made a wrong call hours ago on who to take on as an NPC or on which skill to concentrate on, making the current fight extraordinarily difficult, who are you to tell me to suck it up and replay all those hours and not save-scum-brute-force my way past the encounter at hand?

When overdone, save scumming can mess with a game's balance - see X-Com, where you could finish an entire game without losing a soldier if you save-scummed enough ... but like Crevice tab wrote, the player makes the call, and if someone plays a single player game in a manner that differs from your approach and enjoys it, why do you care?

I wouldn't say I'm an excessive savescummer, but I've engaged in the practice every now and then to get me through a particularly difficult spot or to preserve hours of lifetime poured into a roguelike with permadeath - so what?
It's horrible that many games these days do not allow me saving and reloading wherever the heck I please to prevent savescumming. :argh:
_____
rezaf

bloodlover

Arcane
I think I understand NotAGolder's arguments. I agree with almost all of them.

Yes even non-linear games have to give some thought to at least giving the new player hints and cues and to putting players in reasonable environments. If a new player makes a wrong turn and gets slaughtered by a super monster, they can't say they weren't warned. As they learn how the game works and how to survive in general you can make things looser and introduce more adversity.

Why be warned? It takes out all the fun in exploring on your own. Take a chance and enter that dark cave at level 2 (even if you eventually get owned by a giant monster) because maybe, just maybe, it will reward you in some way. Gothic games did this very well and for me at least, it is part of the charm the games have. They even kept it in G3 with the dragon right near the first city. Making things looser make the player feel that the world revolves around him when instead you could make the world a hard and shitty place to be, where the player deals with challenges and when he eventually overcomes them, he feels accomplished.

The easiest way to learn and survive is through trial and error. Of course you could give the player hints and tips but through the world (maybe books, pieces of lore, NPC interaction) and not by making his life easier.

Perkel

Arcane
that is like choosing between god mode and utter shit. Both brake the game.

Pffft ... dat elitism.

A game has to work perfectly for players of various skill levels to begin with, which is often not the case.
If I made a wrong call hours ago on who to take on as an NPC or on which skill to concentrate on, making the current fight extraordinarily difficult, who are you to tell me to suck it up and replay all those hours and not save-scum-brute-force my way past the encounter at hand?

When overdone, save scumming can mess with a game's balance - see X-Com, where you could finish an entire game without losing a soldier if you save-scummed enough ... but like Crevice tab wrote, the player makes the call, and if someone plays a single player game in a manner that differs from your approach and enjoys it, why do you care?

I wouldn't say I'm an excessive savescummer, but I've engaged in the practice every now and then to get me through a particularly difficult spot or to preserve hours of lifetime poured into a roguelike with permadeath - so what?
It's horrible that many games these days do not allow me saving and reloading wherever the heck I please to prevent savescumming. :argh:
_____
rezaf

Save scuming is antithesis of game design. Game properly designed doesn't need save scumming.
Mind you i am talking about save scuming not saving once a while.

What i mean by properly designed.

Take for example The Witcher 1 game. In this game you can use save as you want but all critical choices do not resolve after a short while. Usually consequence part comes after few hours at least and to reload save you need to replay all those hours which essentially means no one does that.

Problem with not sticking to your choice is resolved in case above.

Though what if you want to see all possibilities ?

Then design also would have to change. In case above player should have as many option available and different outcomes that it would be not humanly possible to see them all. Fallout New Vegas dealt with it same as Fallout1/2 where different outcomes were in such number that you would only stick to few choices instead of reloading game over and over again. So in case of FNV you would only choose faction where rest of the choices you would stick to your choice as long as outcome is not immediate and short sighted (like Ghost town gunfight which resolves in 3 minutes and has clear evil good side)

next case scenario:

I recently finished STALKER SoC. Game is literally definition of save scumming because amount of enemies and game balance doesn't exists if you do not use f5f9 combo all the time.

How it would be fixed ? Save at only clear safe places like in faction bases or merchants. Then reduce amount of soldiers everywhere. Remaining soldier will be still lethal but gameplay would change from save scum fest to stealth shooter where audio, positioning, stealth would be far more important to game that in vanilla.

Other case:

Dragons Dogma. This game doesn't have fast travel and doesn't allow you to save everywhere.
What they did was to introduce night mechanic where in night monsters would be several times stronger and often you could meet monster from end game.

So in this case bacause lack of save everywhere players plan their trips. They start at morning and they try to comeback before dawn. If by any chance you will be coming back at night then you have huge chance to meet something you don't want to meet yet.

Neo Scavenger. Another game that was build from ground up without saving system. With save system game would be 1/4 as good because all mechanics in that game works because you can't just save scum.

Last edited:

zero29

Arbiter
Save scumming is much better than level scaling.
why not have both? :troll:

Save scuming is antithesis of game design. Game properly designed doesn't need save scumming...
what? since when is save scumming a design choice? it's the player's choice in what way he/she makes use of the option to save and load during the game. game designers provide the playground, the rules and the tools for the player, but even if a game allows you to save always and everywhere, that doesn't mean it's designed to be save scummed. doesn't mean it's bad game design, if i'm able to save scum the hell out of the dialogs in shadowrun dfdc and optimise my character build to explore most of the special stat/skill check dialog options; other codexians were able to play the game just fine without it. hey, let's go a step further and declare moddability of a game as the antithesis of game design! i mean, when you are able to edit out all the challenge of a game with a mod, that's bad design right? nope, cause it's still the decision of the player to play the game with or without mods.

Perkel

Arcane
Save scuming is antithesis of game design. Game properly designed doesn't need save scumming...
what? since when is save scumming a design choice?

It is design choice same as fast travel or resting everywhere. You don't need to do it but designers of game would create game differently if those options wouldn't exist.

Save scuming is literally part of STALKER game and many other
Fast travel destroys localization of quests to some area so good luck chasing whole map for some stupid herb because designers decided that since you have fast travel you can just teleport there.
Resting everywhere in Infinity engine games destroyed pacing. Mages instead of focusing on scrolls and other stuff like wands amulets and so on didn't need that and when you memorized spell book run out you would need to find safe place (almost everywhere) and sleep it off or just save scum unsafe location.

So yes they are options but only when game designers don't design their game with them in mind where such a case is almost nonexistent considering games released in history of gaming.

Secondly there is also willpower of player.

If you agree that "teh option" is no problem then how about cheats that are unlocked from get go and are under keypress like f5f9 lets say f7 How about cheat that will give you infinite money in Stalker or all weapons in FNV + all map markers.

Do you have willpower to fight with it everytime ? Yes then awesome. But not all players want to fight with themselves and fewer have actually willpower to power through with their choices when easy way out is at click of a button.

Would you find DS to be a good game when you would have scalable deficulty Easiest, easy, normal, hard, hardest ?
Never understood why save scuming is treated differently than broken balance in game or fast travel

oh and my favorite:

Infinity engine games had by default switched off friendly fire. Imagine playing 2D&D without friendly fire. Yeah that is how most of people played it because instead of making it core of game they made it an option and instead of making FF default they choose it to be option.

Norfleet

what? since when is save scumming a design choice? it's the player's choice in what way he/she makes use of the option to save and load during the game. game designers provide the playground, the rules and the tools for the player, but even if a game allows you to save always and everywhere, that doesn't mean it's designed to be save scummed.
Save-scumming is sort of a design choice in the sense that the designer has created a game that encourages such behavior, such as by putting pass/fail elements of the game in the hands of RNG instead of the player. The player therefore has other option for getting an optimal outcome other than than to savescum it. You see this a lot in D&D in the form of "save or die": Whether or not you survive that is decided entirely by RNG. When the game starts spamming such things, well, save-scumming has become an expected design. If you have, say, a 90% chance of surviving an attack, this would, on the surface, seem pretty survivable, but it also means that if the game contains only 10 such attacks, your odds of finishing the game without save scumming are close to only 1 in 3. And the typical game generally contains a LOT more than just 10 random attacks that you'll survive 90% of the time.

This is why save-scumming is often implicitly a part of the design: The game throws many forms of attack at you, each of which you have a pretty good chance of surviving, but when taken as an aggregate, your chances of finishing the game without save-scumming at some point become vanishingly small. Outside of combat, it gets even worse: Your chance of successfully passing a non-combat encounter are invariably far worse and far less influenced by any player action at all. This is why non-combat is save-scummed FAR more than actual combat is.

buzz

Arcane
Seriously, when's the last time some of you played the Gothic games?

They literally have dudes next to dangerous areas saying "Don't go in there bro or you might die" or who downright refuse to let you go further until you're stronger/belong to a guild. Not to mention tons of clues by chatting with people in town (including non-descript ones).
Of course they occasionally fool you/troll you but it's very rarely some bullshit unfair type of deal. At all times you're given the right info, context, details or help in order to solve quests.

Crevice tab

Savant
So yes they are options but only when game designers don't design their game with them in mind where such a case is almost nonexistent considering games released in history of gaming.

Secondly there is also willpower of player.

If you agree that "teh option" is no problem then how about cheats that are unlocked from get go and are under keypress like f5f9 lets say f7 How about cheat that will give you infinite money in Stalker or all weapons in FNV + all map markers.

Do you have willpower to fight with it everytime ? Yes then awesome. But not all players want to fight with themselves and fewer have actually willpower to power through with their choices when easy way out is at click of a button.

Would you find DS to be a good game when you would have scalable deficulty Easiest, easy, normal, hard, hardest ?
Never understood why save scuming is treated differently than broken balance in game or fast travel

oh and my favorite:

Infinity engine games had by default switched off friendly fire. Imagine playing 2D&D without friendly fire. Yeah that is how most of people played it because instead of making it core of game they made it an option and instead of making FF default they choose it to be option.

Oh fuck it. How about having game designers actually focus on game design instead of trying to psychoanalyze individual players.

Player willpower is the player's fucking problem- as long as the content properly supports all the required play styles and the rest of the content is good then the devs have done their right and proper job of providing quality content. What devs shouldn't do is pander to the presumed 'willpower' of the player. If players want to cheat and savescum then its their money and their choice and dam, blast and fuck constant interminable handholding. Patronizing handholding is what brought us Oblivion's brilliant leveling in the first place.

Keeping your design decisions pure and untainted by savescumming and cheats is a matter of properly designing the game from the bottom up and doesn't have any bearing on this discussion. A properly designed game should have save games, fast travel, cheats and other such stuff for replay value and convenience- not as a part of the core game design. A good game gives you the option of playing and completing the game without any 'OC' aids.

Switching friendly fire off by default is retarded because it is one of the core features and mechanics of the game.

Fast travel may or may not be retarded depending on how it is implemented- Morrowind's in character fast travel system is good. Skyrim's OC fast travel system is less than good.

Xenich

Cipher
Save scuming is literally part of STALKER game and many other

Not sure I agree. Admittedly this is one of the games that I have not finished and I am only a little over a 1/3 of the way into it, but I don't see the need to save scumm. I mean, I reloaded quite often early on when I started playing just because it had been years since I seriously played an FPS, but once I got my legs back, the game became much easier (I am playing on veteran). I play cautious and do hit and run tactics and many other approaches though. I think that if people find themselves save scumming, maybe they should reduce the difficulty a bit? I always reduce the difficulty in action games until I get a strong feel for the controls, I mean... what is the point of playing at a higher difficulty if you can't properly operate the character? Hard difficulties are for people who are past the difficulty of learning the systems and want a serious challenge of play.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
IBut there's one thing which caught my eye and made me hesitate. I think he argued level-scaling is a means to ensure your opponents are not impossibly hard, so why not apply it everywhere? This way, if there's a bug or a bad design oversight, the level-scaling wil fix it. The problem I have with this is level-scaling itself can have bugs. It can be designed badly too. It all boils down to how much adversity do you want your player to experience? Should they ever have to retreat? How hard should it be? How easy should it be? In all this mes, there's lots of room for oversights and encounters which are near impossible to win in specific circumstances. To ensure everything is doable, you very nearly have to make the game easy.
Why not both, impossible challenges and levelscaling? The designers could make certain encounters winnable for certain builds only. Doesn't exclude the possibility of levelscaling.
Or make it so that the game calculates the enemy difficulty of the next zone after you unlock it (if it's not a complete open world game). Then you could still have fights you can't win when you first encounter them but when you did most of the content of that zone and collected those sweet XP or the only weapon that can harm that particular foe you can win it easily.

I'd argue that the only reason most designers don't use elaborate levelscaling mechanics is that they are pathetically bad at math. :troll:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom