Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Direct Download or Boxed Edition. Which would you buy?

Which would you pay for?

• Direct Download

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Boxed Edition

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

sam0t

Novice
Download for me too.

Then again that detailed map and professionally doned box does sound tempting. Where is the option for "download + box shipped" ? :D

Top Hat

Scholar
I went into a game store today to pick up a game, and the stupid goth guy behind the counter said something like "I don't know why they still have the box because the CD case blah blah blah".

I stopped listening to him right there, and imagined tasering him like a liberal while he spoke of his love for Britney Spears.

I'm now pretty sure he thinks that I was stoned, since I just started laughing.

Fuck you, Codex!

I can't remember if it has been mentioned (or even decided upon yet) but what style will the box have? Will it be the DVD case size or "olde style" big huge box? Will it be cereal-box style (i.e. the box is in one piece) or two pieces (a 'lid' and a 'base')? Will the 'box' have the art actually on the box or on a sleeve over a plain box?

Anyway, box edition please. On the one hand, doing so is probably going to mean that I have to plant a tree/trees for the carbon credits. On the other hand, since I get to pick the tree...WOOHOO! Oranges!

There, that seems like a reasonable balance for a Codex post: 1/3 bitching, 1/3 sensible question and 1/3 insanity.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Wait- with box, he means... a real box?
Not a DVD or CD case? A real... box? Like we used to have when the grass was still green, when the water was still fresh and animals and trees still lived on mother earth?

I think I am crying out of joy.

VD, are there "feelies"?

Contents of the box of Spellbreaker, a text-adventure:

spellbreaker2.jpg

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Jasede said:
Wait- with box, he means... a real box?
Not a DVD or CD case? A real... box? Like we used to have when the grass was still green, when the water was still fresh and animals and trees still lived on mother earth?

I think I am crying out of joy.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think they're still somewhat common in the magical land of America.
I'd personally like the box to be a similar size to the TOEE box I got recently. It wasn't just a DVD case (which is a bit of a letdown and doesn't really allow for a proper manual/map), but still wasn't the unecessarily large size of the boxes of old. Ahh that took me back.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Still remember fondly the huge manuals of old microprose games like Darklands. Instead of a flimsy booklet you got a huge book with details on all gameplay elements, equipment, the different saints you could preach to and the history of medieval Germany. Those were the days.

But even nowadays I prefer the boxed version. I'm from the generation that likes to feel and see the new thing we spend money on. Call me old fashioned if you will.

Blacklung

Arbiter
The geological, topographical, theological pancake
I'm always losing stuff like boxes and doodads, plus it usually just ends up collecting dust anyhow. I just hope they make sure to keep the direct download numbers and all that stuff in the servers and such.

Always makes me wonder what would happen if those things had some big system crash or a massive hack that wiped out all the information. You'd be screwed if you ever had to reformat. Just think what it would be like if STEAM was hit by something similar.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Always makes me wonder what would happen if those things had some big system crash or a massive hack that wiped out all the information. You'd be screwed if you ever had to reformat. Just think what it would be like if STEAM was hit by something similar.

Which one day will happen. Ever heard of Murphy's law? Apart from system meltdown, what about a company going out of business and shutting the servers down?

I'd rather have the data myself, instead on having to rely on somebody else for it. And I kinda like gameboxes. Must be the magpie in me.

Hazelnut

Erudite
I'll be downloading, and then potentially buying a box if the game is as good for me as I hope.

Durwyn

Prophet
I would really like to buy boxed edition but 50$ for it is too much for me... So I choose DD..

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I most certainly intend to purchase the boxed version. Please call me old fashioned, but I like to have physical copy of things.

I would be overjoyed if VD accepted bank transfer payment.

cardtrick

Arbiter
Box. Given the quality of the concept art, it's likely to be pretty. Plus, I want to support Iron Tower by giving more money . . . if it turns out that the profit margins are the same on both, then maybe I will go for the direct download instead.

Durwyn

Prophet
Fuck I've changed my mind...I wont eat for few days but I'll buy box edition... i belive it'll be worth it...

cardtrick

Arbiter
Er . . . maybe I'm wrong, but I think you still will have to pay for the boxed edition online. I don't think there are plans for AoD to have a distributor, so I doubt you'll find it in brick-and-mortar stores.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I'd prefer the boxed version (of course) and I'd pay $50 for it, but I'm not sure I'd pay $50 + the shipping costs from Canada. We'll see.

Amasius

Augur
Normaly I don't care much for collectors edition stuff but for AoD I probably make an exception.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
We'll drop the shipping charges for you, Elwro. The least we can do for a true patriot and veteran (2002 :salute:). Also, we have two offers for the Eastern Europe, so maybe we'll use publishers for this part of the world, to make the game more accessible.

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
I'll always be there for you, fluffybuns.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom