Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Direct Download or Boxed Edition. Which would you buy?

Which would you pay for?

• Direct Download

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Boxed Edition

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Jedi_Learner said:
96 votes so far, 34 for the Direct Download and 62 for the Boxed Edition. Assuming (I love that word!) everyone buys as they voted, it all adds up to $3950. And you never know, a few people might even have too much money on their hands and buy the box twice!
What I don't get: Over 2k views and barely more than a hundred votes. Okay, so I've been viewing this thread like four or five times already and other probably have too, but that doesn't start to explain the difference.

Kraszu

Prophet
Claw said:
What I don't get: Over 2k views and barely more than a hundred votes. Okay, so I've been viewing this thread like four or five times already and other probably have too, but that doesn't start to explain the difference.

Plenty of lurkers?

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist

You there! Yes, I'm talking to you, lurker scum! Register for these fine forums, and vote now! Show your support!

somnium

Scholar
Jedi_Learner said:

You there! Yes, I'm talking to you, lurker scum! Register for these fine forums, and vote now! Show your support!
Some lurkers are already registered, you know.

Deleted member 7219

I was a lurker on the forums for a couple of years before I actually joined. Some people just enjoy the comedy without feeling they need to contribute.

NiM82

Prophet
I voted boxed, but I'd buy both.

Download version so I can play it when it releases (as being UK, boxes would prob take a while to ship over), unless in buying the box you get a download url as well?

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist

Are you serious? It never crossed my mind that some lurkers were already registered here at the Codex. This realisation completely destroys what I believe in, and compels me to evaluate my opinions and values. I could of continued being blind and ignorant, but I have you to thank for opening my eyes and mind. Thank you, my friend. :)

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Jedi_Learner said:

Are you serious? It never crossed my mind that some lurkers were already registered here at the Codex. This realisation completely destroys what I believe in, and compels me to evaluate my opinions and values. I could of continued being blind and ignorant, but I have you to thank for opening my eyes and mind. Thank you, my friend. :)

He actually lied.

TrustNo1

Scholar
Lurking on the codex destroyed my life :(

Edit: Voted boxed edition, to show my extended support for the project. Um, extended to the point of ordering the boxed edition that is.

mytgroo

Scholar
Jedi_Learner wrote:
96 votes so far, 34 for the Direct Download and 62 for the Boxed Edition. Assuming (I love that word!) everyone buys as they voted, it all adds up to $3950. And you never know, a few people might even have too much money on their hands and buy the box twice!

You hit on a secret of the internet-- if you open a store and try to sell some things online, you will get an increase of maybe a 1/3 from your online sales... downloads and mailings, etc. Thus you've got your 34 out of 96 sales. What is missing out of this, is how many people would have gone to your store because they saw you were advertising for the boxed set online, maybe another 20 people would walk in because you were discussing the item online. So you get 54 of your 96 sales ultimately from the internet. However, the majority of your sales are still the physical package in the store...

Kraszu

Prophet
If the game will be published in Poland then obviously boxed version, if not then it depends on what will be in box. Mostly the quality of game book (manual), whit something interesting (not things that you can find in menu anyway) like art, AoD design description (why it was designed that way, some background of developing process), item description/description of things connected whit AoD world, maybe short story in AoD world.

The Brucolac

Novice
Boxed for this lurker. But as others have mentioned, it would be nice to be able to download it while waiting for the physical copy.

Really looking forward to the release btw, it looks very promising. I try to spread the word here in my part of Scandinavia and on teh intarwebs in general as there seem to be surprisingly many potential buyers that haven't heard of it yet.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
All the lurkers are coming out…

BACK TO THE SHADOWS!

Paranoid Jack

Scholar
I would have added the third option "both". And possibly a fourth (though I would hate to see the numbers) "none I plan on stealing it" for the pirates.

I plan on buying the download and the box. So that way I have an unopened copy... since it will be limited compared to larger releases. That way if it is as big as I hope and word of mouth spreads it will become a collectors item. Iron Tower becomes rich on the second/third printings and self publishes their next big project after hiring a team of fifty.

Everyone wins and the sorry state of cRPGs is finally brought back around full circle to the mid to late nineties. Even though our PCs (and some of our minds) have advanced beyond isometric turn based goodness... we will still have Iron Tower as a last bastion of hope that TB Isometric with continue on into the holographic era.

Ah, it's good to have dreams!

bpstrat

Novice
Boxed, please. Keep the good old box tradition alive, that way I can put Age of Decadence next to Ultima IV!

mytgroo

Scholar
Commercial Download Sites with RPG Games

Here are a few commercial download sites which have RPG games...

PC Commercial Download Sites

Gamers Gate
http://www.gamersgate.net

Total Gaming
http://www.totalgaming.net

Direct2Drive
http://www.direct2drive.com

Try Games
http://www.trygames.com

Steam- I can't get this one to work...
http://www.steampowered.com

Independents

Manifesto Games
http://www.manifestogames.com

Game Tunnel
http://www.gametunnel.com

What has been your experience with this madness. I still am very wary of most of these sites, I bought Gothic 2 Gold from total gaming, but their system is a pain in the ass. I bought Evil Islands from Gamers Gate, much easier, and I bought Kult Heretic Kingdoms from Manifesto Games-- easiest. What experiences have you had with this kind of stuff.

Solohk

Scholar
This lurker would like to see a legit torrent option available.

Failing that, HTTP/FTP.

Faling that, boxed will do.

mytgroo

Scholar
Bittorrent lists 42 downloadable RPG games for purchase, so it might be possible to sell it throught their site.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom