Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Direct Download or Boxed Edition. Which would you buy?

Which would you pay for?

• Direct Download

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Boxed Edition

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

barzam

Novice
Are you planning on using any copy-protection? If you do, I'd download no question.

Zhirzzh

Scholar
I'm going to buy boxed. I know I'm necroing, but the thread still seemed like the one to post in.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
If I were an order on line kind of person (who knows), I'd go for the box version. I want to own the game.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Direct download for me, as long as there is no devious copy protection. If the prices were closer I might consider a DD/boxed combo thing, but since there is no reason why VD should have to cater for misers like me, digital copy only is fine. (haven't really investigated further, but I'm assuming $25/$50 is still the price).

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Yeah, that would be a good idea. I might be so impressed with VD's magnum opus that I might be willing to upgrade to the physical thing, for...ummm...masturbatory purposes. I mean, to show my support.

What's the physical copy come with again? (I better go look at that FAQ wotsit)

SpaceKungFuMan

Scholar
I normally try to buy whatever edition of a game gets the most money to the actual developers. In this case, assuming the game is really the revival of classic rpg characteristics that I'm hoping it will be, I'd seriously consider even donating money to see another game made. I'm big on voting with my wallet, and there aren't really all that many times where you get to do so meaningfully.

Zhirzzh

Scholar
Shagnak said:
Yeah, that would be a good idea. I might be so impressed with VD's magnum opus that I might be willing to upgrade to the physical thing, for...ummm...masturbatory purposes. I mean, to show my support.

What's the physical copy come with again? (I better go look at that FAQ wotsit)

A box, A jewel case, a map, and a manual.

ushdugery

Scholar
Whatever Version ends the studio up with the most money so they can make more games.

gamefan

Scholar
I would buy boxed, i dont trust downloaded stuff, i like to have a hard copy of my games.

I'll probobly wait a bit to see if the price will drop since im poor though :o

But I will buy a copy for sure to support a good indie developper :!:

PennyAnte

Liturgist
I always go download when I have a choice now - Steam, Impulse, D2D ... the box only adds clutter and it takes time to either go out and buy or have sent.

I always get my gameplay info from forums and online materials now anyway, so I don't need a printed manual.

I just like to be able to install a game more than one time (like if I get a new pc or the install messes up).

And I think the download + box is a good option to have for people who want it.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I can't really understand people who are happy with a downloaded version. All you purchased are... bytes. Where is the satisfaction in that? I can touch a box. I can touch the CD. I can take the manual and read it in the bath-tub.

Buying a game with box, manual and jewel-case magically increases my enjoyment with it threefold, especially really old games that still had tons of things in the box.

If I bought a game as pay-for-download, I'd feel awfully cheated: I bought nothing tangible, just data. For the same reason I can't buy e-books: I feel no satisfaction if I spend money and get nothing physical in return. I want a box that gets dusty in the shelf; and when I buy a book, I want to be able to carry it around, and risk dropping it in the bathtub.

Fez

Erudite
You haven't bought anything because nothing is added to an inventory?

Hory

Erudite
Jasede said:
I can't really understand people who are happy with a downloaded version. All you purchased are... bytes. Where is the satisfaction in that? I can touch a box. I can touch the CD. I can take the manual and read it in the bath-tub.
I don't understand why you are so proud of your materialism.

PennyAnte

Liturgist
Jasede said:
I can't really understand people who are happy with a downloaded version. All you purchased are... bytes.
That's still an object as far as I'm concerned. That almost sounds like because you can't pick it up and drop it, each individual piece of software somehow isn't a product.

To me the only difference really is where it resides. I'm happy having the installer on my hard drive and a backup on another drive in case my hard drive crashes or something.

I prefer to buy books online now too. With the right kind of moble device I have books from my library anywhere I go anyway.

I can search words instead of flipping page by page, I can highlight and unhighlight. It saves paper, it saves bulk, it gives me more furniture/interior design flexibility because I don't *have* to have a bookshelf - what's not to like? :)

fastpunk

Arbiter
I'll probably go with the direct download version. Btw, what happens if you go with direct download but at a later date decide to format your system? You don't have to buy it again I hope. I'd be nice if it where something like Steam, where your purchase is bound to your account, so if you change PCs you can re-download the game.

GeneralSamov

Prophet
Can you read it during breakfast? And while taking a dump? What about in bed/on the couch? Can you use it as a a support for your bed? Can you put it on a shelf and show off your erudition? Paper's got its own charm, and frankly, I too would go for the boxed version. But I'm also nostalgic.

Black

Arcane
Boxed, I need a physical proof that I bought something or else :malkavian:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom