Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ Discuss RPG Codex Podcast

Kem0sabe

Arcane
So, i listen to a lot of podcasts, everything from Tech news to books reviews, but one thing that has been missing from my daily podcast digest is a truly monocled RPG podcast...

And what better community to make the bestest RPG podcast than the Codex?

So fellow codexers and staff (DarkUnderlord Infinitron Crooked Bee), does this idea have legs to walk on? Do you want felipepepe to talk about how he secretly wants to be a line producer? how about "Adventure Theater with Prosper"? and sea trying to justify his picks for RPG of the year while people do call ins?

It would of course need to be audio only, because the codex is ugly. And have people with sexy suave radio voices speaking.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Podcasts are usually boring, unless somebody famous is being interviewed (and for many people, even then).

A YouTube LP/review series would be a more likely choice, but we're probably too lazy to do that.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Meh, just use a text-to-voice software to read the Codex threads for you.

Really, what you imagine from this? if we were all on the same city and meeting for this it could me decent, but over the internet what's the point? Even interesting things like "VD, Styg and Anthony Davis on Quest design" would be better in text, where people can think for a bit and write elegant posts, not those "uhn... ah... welll..." waste of time that makes for half of most podcasts.

Instead of lame podcast, what we should do are more round-tables, like that AdventureDex: A Conversation about the State of the Adventure Genre one.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I literally cannot think of a way for this to not end poorly for everyone involved.

You have my vote, Kemosabe!

Alchemist

Arcane
I'm in support of this idea. I listen to a lot of podcasts while I work - but there is nothing out there that covers classic-style cRPGs on a regular basis. It's a niche waiting to be filled. Matt Chat is the closest thing, and that's not really a podcast. Roguelike Radio is perhaps the most monocled gaming podcast I've heard. They really dig deep into game design discussions, in a roundtable format. If someone started a podcast like that, but about cRPGs, I'd be all over it.

Heck, I would start up such a podcast but I'm pretty much an introvert, and don't think I could pull it off. I could help out on the production / editing side though.

It doesn't have to be boring. Focus on a roundtable format and occasionally bring in interviews of indie cRPG devs or more famous devs. Talk about the latest news / kickstarters, get on a soapbox (don't Codexers like to rant about their opinions?), discuss game design theory, do retrospectives / reviews about old games. Most of the roundtable podcasts I listen to use Skype these days and it works fine - so there's no need to be local.

Even if it's not an official Codex production - someone should make something like this.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I hear the sound of my own voice enough, I probably don't need to hear it more.

Seems like a fun idea, but in my experience podcasts done with people who aren't very organized/professional/etc. don't go so well, sadly.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
Most forum podcasts that i've personally seen before the forum base inevitably quits making them, have always been hilariously awful, but i'd like to see the attempt. I sure hope this idea expands beyond the childlike "lets just talk about crpg's"

Any successful/entertaining podcast needs 2 things - pull, and draw. You need to be able to pull in interviews from either famous or powerful people in the industry, because nobody wants to hear the same shit, from the same people, all of the time, and you need to be able to draw a consistent audience [also called a flow] , unless you feel like working for free.

I've listened to 2 podcasts the Codex has mentioned, The Loading Bar, and Gamecritics.org, and one reason why the Loading Bar is infinitely more listenable than Gamecritics, is because TLB is entertaining, while GC is not. I really wanted to like GC more since they were more serious, but they just fucking suck, and they don't put out that much content anymore, and it doesn't help that one of their hosts sounds like Kermit the Frog.

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I have been investigating the logistics of doing a podcast where the members are not on location and participate through online connections, and i have to say that it is impossible to maintain a standard of quality this way. The advantage of recording on site is that if you invest in some decent sound setup you can get pretty nice quality, but if everyone is speaking through their home headsets, then it will be horrible.

So no point in developing this idea much further.

A user named cat

How about turning the Codex into a professional gaming site while we're at it, with Mountain Dew Budweiser and Dorito Marlboro ad endorsements.

ySLAhIv.png

Monty

Arcane
How about turning the Codex into a professional gaming site while we're at it, with Mountain Dew Budweiser and Dorito Marlboro ad endorsements.
You mean like Ubisoft quoting the Codex in their promotional material and giving every staff member a MMX Deluxe key?

:troll:

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I love me a good podcast. It takes good equipment, good discussion material and good chemistry. If codex can deliver, then go for it. If not, then go for it and we promise not to laugh. We'll just turn it off after 30 seconds and feel awkward realizing how necessary it is to limit our expressions to just text, for us to look cool.

Alchemist

Arcane
I have been investigating the logistics of doing a podcast where the members are not on location and participate through online connections, and i have to say that it is impossible to maintain a standard of quality this way. The advantage of recording on site is that if you invest in some decent sound setup you can get pretty nice quality, but if everyone is speaking through their home headsets, then it will be horrible.

So no point in developing this idea much further.
Most of the podcasts I listen to use Skype or Google hangouts for remote conferencing, and they sound fine. So I think it's possible. But there doesn't seem to be much interest in this here anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom