Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane Dishonored 2 - Emily and Corvo's Serkonan Vacation

Playing in the Stilton Mansion now. Stalking my prey as an extradimensional horror is very :obviously:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-02-09-theres-a-dishonored-2-graphic-novel-out-this-month

There's a Dishonored 2 graphic novel out this month

Titan Comics has announced the imminent release of a new Dishonored 2 graphic novel, and it's due to arrive on February 20th.

Dishonored: The Peeress and the Price, to give it its full title, takes place after the events of the second Dishonored game. It sees Emily and Corvo make their return to Dunwall, where a deadly new enemy awaits. An enemy that could, says Titan, "spell doom for them both...".

You can admire a reproduction of the The Peeress and the Price's front cover immediately below. For the first time, I find myself wondering how Corvo blows his nose.

jpg

The Peeress and the Price is written by Michael Moreci (Roche Limit, Suicide Squad: Secret Files), with colours by Mattia Iacono (the Dark Souls comic) and art by Andrea Olimpieri. Olimpieri also produced the art for Titan's previous Dishonored comic series, which released in 2016 and continued the adventures of Corvo following the events of Dishonored 1.

If you're suitably intrigued, click the gallery below to read a few pages from the latest book.

jpg
jpg
jpg
jpg
jpg
jpg

Dishonored: The Peeress and The Price weighs in at 64 pages and will cost £13.99 / $16.99 when it arrives on February 20th.

Silva

Arcane
Where does Death of Outsider falls plot-wise? Cool AF like Knife of Dunwall, or lame AF like default Dishonored 1 and 2 ?

DOTO is the "worst" of the bunch, but still worth a playthrough.

Also fuck you for saying D1 and 2 is lame.
I said plot-wise, bro. All them are great games (*better than Thiefs coff coff*) but you have to agree that D1 and 2 plots are lame as hell, while Knife's is kickass.

They are almost opposite in that D1 and 2 have super interesting individual level stories with crap central story. And Knife have uninteresting individual level stories but a badass overarching one.

Falksi

Arcane
Just picked it up in the bargain bin for £6 & currently have just boarded the Dreadful Whale.

So far, it's been fairly fucking wank tbh. Playable wank with interesting level design, but gameplay is bullshit really in terms of fun. Enemies hear or see you from miles away unless you crawl at a snails pace, and that's just boring, then combat ensues & it feels like you win through more luck than judgement. So far it's really been a case of trial and error, with me constantly getting killed for simply not knowing a guard is there and arriving at the wrong time. Really hails back to the old-school days of progress-die-learn-progress-die-learn-etc. & fuck knows why anyone enjoys that. Most the time it feels like you'd actually save real life hours by doing a scout-run through the level as fast as poss & using all your health potions to stay alive, seeing where everyone is, and then attempting to traverse it rather than playing it to get through it from the off.

Does it get any better when you get some powers? So far Corvo feels like a faggot, and stealth is done so boringly that I can't be arsed with it. I think the only fun I'll find in this game is if combat improves with upgrades, & I can just get to slaughtering these cunts.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
DOTO is the "worst" of the bunch, but still worth a playthrough.

Also fuck you for saying D1 and 2 is lame.
Might grab it on sale then. :salute:

Most off-putting thing is that you're not playing as Daud again, really enjoyed his campaign in D1 - despite the pizza-slice delivery of it.

Falksi

Arcane
Falksi If you're not enjoying it now, you're not gonna enjoy it later. The basic gameplay remains the same, even with powers.

I've kinda got into it. The world is definitely very interesting, and combat is bareable, even a bit fun at times.

My main gripe is that stealth just feels so pointless. One wrong sniff and you've 5 gaurds on you in seconds, 20 gaurds on you after you take care of them. It's just so boring sneaking around for 5 min, only for a guard who is miles away & spotting you despite being almost invisible to blow all that previous effort, and then have to do it all again.

I'm gonna keep chugging along with it for a bit. The blink-kick is fun & if I can unlock a few more talents which make the game more exciting I might enjoy it.

At the mo it's a 6/10 game for me, but the world's well crafted enough for me to keep on persisting with for a while longer.

Last edited:

Tancred

Learned
Falksi play until you get to Stilton's manor, where you temporarily get the power to shift between the past and the present. It's a pretty cool mission with several different potential outcomes based on your actions. It's the only thing I enjoyed from D2 which otherwise is mostly shit; D1 overall had better mission variety, hub & story/characters.

Phanax

Novice
Patron
You may want to consider playing it on a custom difficulty level. The hardest difficulty in D2 is considerably more unforgiving compared to the hardest in D1, most notably with regards to the ability of the AI to detect you (they become almost superhuman). You can adjust the AI's reaction times and capability to notice you to something a little more forgiving. There's challenge and then there's tedium, but there's a LOT of options to choose from in a custom difficulty to hopefully eliminate the things you find more annoying.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Played this as emilia. Lost interest at some point after the clockwork city portion. Don't know why, did not grab me like the original did. I think it's due to the aesthetics of the sequel not being as interesting.

Falksi

Arcane
Had to quit. Think the gameplay is fucking shit tbh. No escaping the fact that it all it really boils down to is being spotted, and that's it.

Wouldn't be so bad if the combat didn't feel random, but it does.

Baffled at how many like this game. Pure Bethestard - all gimmicks & bullshit, with fuck all real game at the core of it all.

Falksi

Arcane
Do a combat, high chaos playthrough? That's basically Dark Messiah on amphetamines.

It just plays poorly. Would love to hear from those who enjoyed it why they think it doesn't in case there's something I can learn which improves the experience for me (maybe a particularly fun character build?).

But as it is I found combat really shit. In no time you've at least 4 or 5 guards on you, the powers are clunky, the reposte mechanic feels random, and it just feels like a mess. You die then have to do it all again, which soon gets old.

What's more, more suped up powers such as Devouring Swarm & Stop Time look as if they take it from challenging to cakewalk. The only power which looks to suit any combat rythm appears to be Windblast, but that's all from watching vids & not playing, so more than open to any advice from those who love it.

Parabalus

Arcane
Thinking about picking up this and the first one. Are they any good from the stealth point of view?

A bit popamole if you use the powers too much and go full superman. This and the Styg series (more traditional) don't have much competition among recent games though, it's pretty fun either way.

Vibalist

Arcane
Thinking about picking up this and the first one. Are they any good from the stealth point of view?

They're decent. But the most fun thing is to go crazy with the powers (or, alternatively, disable them) and the level design + general atmosphere. Stealth was not the main focus.

Vibalist

Arcane
Nope. Balls to the wall craziness and creativity. Especially in the second one, which gives you even more overpowered spells to play around with.

Also, the atmosphere and level design is exquisite.

Nuclear Explosion

Stealth is not the strongpoint of the series. Do not expect Thief calibre stealth.
But what is their strength?
Combat, level design, movement and aesthetics. They are some of the few games with satisfying first-person melee combat. For an illustration of what I mean, compare how melee combat feels in Skyrim to how it feels in Dishonored.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom