Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dishonored 2 Pre-Announcement Rumors [bullshit leak]

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
I read that in some news that it was only mediocre overall success (1-2 year ago). But can't find it anymore, sorry.

Last edited:

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'd rather see some medium-budget medium-sales targets happy-with-a-medium-success games for a change instead of all AAA all the time. Dishonored walked the fine line between depth and commercial viability, and was the pleasant surprise of the last few years, so as long as they can keep doing that, let's hope Bethesda will let them.

Hope they will go for an entirely different story in the same universe, though. Like Garrett after Thief 1, Corvo's story is finished. The pseudo-Russian/Scandinavian setting might be interesting. Very underexplored, especially in a non-mediaeval/non-WW2 context. Dishonored does the Russian Revolution? Bits of Solzhenytsin on the penal colonies (keeping with the "wronged hero" theme)? Dostoyevsky (keeping with the "anti-hero" theme)? Or just lotsa whales?

Siel

Arcane
Patron

Tribal Sarah

Arbiter
Never finished the first one. I got as far as climbing up some stairs and turning off a radio broadcast or something. Did that. Couldn't be bothered doing anymore. They say the dlc is good though

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Never finished the first one. I got as far as climbing up some stairs and turning off a radio broadcast or something. Did that. Couldn't be bothered doing anymore. They say the dlc is good though
Well, better certainly. But if you didn't find the base game compelling enough to finish it, that close to the end, I don't really think you'd find the DLCs worth a purchase.

Also, was there really supposed to be anything Scandinavia-like about Tyvia?

Lerk

Learned
Hmm. completed the first one, enjoyed it, not tried any of the DLC yet though. Hopefully they re-balance or remove the Blink ability in the sequel, it was way OP.

DemonKing

Arcane
I thought Arkane was being forced to make Prey 2 by their Bethesda overlords?

Shralla

Educated
Hmm. completed the first one, enjoyed it, not tried any of the DLC yet though. Hopefully they re-balance or remove the Blink ability in the sequel, it was way OP.

Nope, they broke it more in the DLC by making it freeze time when you hold the button to aim it. I'm hoping they implement that in the sequel as the third upgrade to it, and don't just start you with that right off the bat because that would really sour my milk.

I liked Blink, and the way it worked. The entire game was designed around using it, and it was never meant to be a stealth game on the same level as Thief so I didn't mind it being OP for those purposes. In all honesty I'm hoping that the next game leans more towards its Deus Ex heritage than the first and allows you more options for combat. Since the combat in Dishonored wasn't especially difficult and aside from acheivements (or personal drive, as was the case for me) there was no real motivation to avoid it, I'd really like a bit more variety in approaching it. They have a bunch of tools that are entirely lacking in subtlety and are therefore almost useless for stealth, and they were playing up the fact that you could go in "guns blazing" as it were and come out victorious from the beginning of development. Flesh it out more and give you more than just your assassin's blade for dealing with enemies in direct confrontation. It felt kind of silly being super loud and shooting people in the face and having little more than a knife for melee defense.

I would also very much like for it to go in more of a Deus Ex direction with the NPC interaction. Maybe we're not a wanted individual and we can walk freely around, so we can get in conversations with people and have player-guided choice in that regard, but then also have distinctly separate open-ended "mission" areas as well as plenty to explore and antagonize in the "hub".

Maybe it's not that kind of game though, but I'd sure like to see it go that direction.

I thought Arkane was being forced to make Prey 2 by their Bethesda overlords?

That was a pretty pervasive rumor for a little bit, but ultimately turned out to be untrue.

Last edited:

hiver

A question: how come >Dishonored wouldnt be counted as falling within the scope of action RPG games... when it has skills and it has some kind of differences in gameplay and the story depending on those skills and what you choose to do or dont.
Going non-lethal stealth or lethal and having a few choices within the story - granny rags and so on.
isnt that enough these days?

Just curious. I thought the game is utter shit, (you can fail in anything only if youre completely retarded and brain damaged), except nice visuals and somewhat unusual setting (as far as AAA games are concerned)

Or is it concerned as some kind of stealth - action RPG hybrid?
or nobody gives a fuck and fuckyeah look how awesome i am with my OP skills and abilities that are basically enabled cheats?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Last edited:

Data4

Arcane
I still maintain they should hire Stephen Russell to voice the PC just to stick a thumb in the collective eyes of Eidos Montreal. :D

Baron Dupek

Arcane
But there is already sequel of it and it's called Thi4f, it also have optional looting etc.

BTW. There is some fan made Arx - End of the Sun but progress is so slow that already everyone forget about it. Should get Early Acces or help from TDM people.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Was the first game that succesful?

IIRC it was just a mediocre success. Which makes me wonder even more. The only reason I can explain it is: they build upon their artwork etc. it's all there... saves money and time. And most likely they are not allowed to build upon their former RPGs.
Mediocre if you make a comparison with Skyrim or GTA 5 but even Bethesda said they were surprised by the number of copies sold and being Bethesda here, no way they expected something low as 2 million copies, they don't even consider this number a success at all. A mediocre success in AAA terms means something from 3 to 5 million copies. Peter Hines enthusiasm means the game sold a lot, mediocre in terms of Skyrim or GTA but anyway, it is to be crazy to expect such numbers from every game.

Visperas

Augur
At least, Dishonored was better than Thiaf is so let's see what Dishonored 2 improves on.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I liked Blink, and the way it worked. The entire game was designed around using it,
No, it wasn't. You could finish all the missions without using it a single time, actually the developers intented for you to not spam blink and and the game gives you a proper challenge if you don't use it. Blink is there so people that don't have patience for a stealth game can play, well, at least it is useful to speed up a replay.

In all honesty I'm hoping that the next game leans more towards its Deus Ex heritage than the first and allows you more options for combat. Since the combat in Dishonored wasn't especially difficult and aside from acheivements (or personal drive, as was the case for me) there was no real motivation to avoid it,
Combat on Deus Ex was shit, it was the least enjoyable aspect of it, what made it great was the level design and the way the augmentations interacted with it and some choices you could make along the way much like Dishonored already. There wasn't any motivation to avoid combat in Deus Ex, the main motivation for me was to avoid that clunky shit but enemies weren't challenging. What Dishonored needs are two things, more tools for stealth (combat is fine as it is in terms of tools) and enemies that can resist or have the same powers as you so it doesn't become a power raping orgy for people that like combat.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
enemies that can resist or have the same powers as you so it doesn't become a power raping orgy for people that like combat.

Didn't Dishonored actually have this in form of Whalers, though? From what I remember they could at least Blink.

hiver

At least, Dishonored was better than Thiaf is so let's see what Dishonored 2 improves on.
Its going to improve on awesome, epic, grim, visceral, and other such crap. And hide it under some new city as a setting - since it has to have some novelty for anyone to buy it.

enemies that can resist or have the same powers as you so it doesn't become a power raping orgy for people that like combat.
Dishonored already had those. Didnt notice have ya? (i mean they were so easy its hard to even remember they exist in the game - stealth OP powers and blink completely devalued all of them)

DeepOcean

Arcane
Dishonored already had those. Didnt notice have ya? (i mean they were so easy its hard to even remember they exist in the game - stealth OP powers and blink completely devalued all of them)
Yep, I remember them, there were them and the priests that could stop your powers from working but they were so rare that it as if they didn't existed.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Well I played the game in hard and I found the combat to be quite challenging. Especially since it was rarely a 1vs1 situation, more like 1vs3 most of the time.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Well I played the game in hard and I found the combat to be quite challenging. Especially since it was rarely a 1vs1 situation, more like 1vs3 most of the time.
Stop time + crossbow + aim to the head solved combat in 90% of time for me. It was just those walkers that caused problems.

hiver

No, it wasn't. You could finish all the missions without using it a single time, actually the developers intended for you to not spam blink and and the game gives you a proper challenge if you don't use it. Blink is there so people that don't have patience for a stealth game can play, well, at least it is useful to speed up a replay.
How was the game designed not to use it when you cannot reach any high places without it? - yeah i know what you meant but that is nonsensical. Because not using it cuts off the whole elevation sections of the game and most of the stealth.

What developers supposedly "intended" is worth shit. Why the hell would i not use it if its there to be used?

Whats in the game counts. Regardless of some wishing well intentions or whether it was all distorted by publisher or not.

Stop time + crossbow + aim to the head solved combat in 90% of time for me.
Or any other bloody combination of OP skills designed for zombified retarded teen audience.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom