Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dishonored 2 Pre-Announcement Rumors [bullshit leak]

DeepOcean

Arcane
How was the game designed not to use it when you cannot reach any high places without it? - yeah i know what you meant but that is nonsensical. Because not using it cuts off the whole elevation sections of the game and most of the stealth.
And if I said that I just completed a playthrough without using blink and didn't had to use it to reach most high places.:smug: There is always a strategic placed crate, chain, pipe or something that allow you to jump and grab them, sometimes the jump seems impossible but Corvo is a fucking cat. Blink isn't required for you to reach most places, it only makes easier and convenient for you.

Siel

Arcane
Patron
Blink was at first an optional power indeed. This changed at the end of development.

OoWNa3y.png

DeepOcean

Arcane
Blink was at first an optional power indeed. This changed at the end of development.

OoWNa3y.png
Making blink the signature power isn't the same as saying that isn't optional, without using blink you are going to get a harder time but the game is far from impossible without it. What they made was you being able to spam it but the level design take in consideration you don't wanting to use it.

hiver

And if I said that I just completed a playthrough without using blink
was it non lethal stealth playthrough?

making it signature - vomit.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I liked Dishonoured. Arkane cannot into dialogue and story, but they can create great atmosphere and good gameplay. It would be interested to see what they will do with the sequel.

Shralla

Educated
No, it wasn't.

Well... Yes it was.

You could finish all the missions without using it a single time, actually the developers intented for you to not spam blink and and the game gives you a proper challenge if you don't use it.

And you can say the same about Focus in the new Thief. Doesn't mean the game wasn't entirely designed around it, because it was. I never said it was mandatory, I said the game was designed with it in mind. They may have changed it "pretty far" into development, but they also said it wasn't too far to change a bunch of things about the game to suit the fact that you start with the Blink power.

Blink is there so people that don't have patience for a stealth game can play, well, at least it is useful to speed up a replay.

Well given that Dishonored was never meant to be a new Thief and was never meant to be a pure stealth game like Thief, it sounds like you're just complaining that they made a game you didn't care for rather than complaining about any actual issue with the gameplay.

Combat on Deus Ex was shit, it was the least enjoyable aspect of it, what made it great was the level design and the way the augmentations interacted with it and some choices you could make along the way much like Dishonored already. There wasn't any motivation to avoid combat in Deus Ex, the main motivation for me was to avoid that clunky shit but enemies weren't challenging. What Dishonored needs are two things, more tools for stealth (combat is fine as it is in terms of tools) and enemies that can resist or have the same powers as you so it doesn't become a power raping orgy for people that like combat.

It was clunky but it gave you many ways to approach it from an inventory standpoint, as opposed to Dishonored where you get a knife.

But in other words, yes, they just decided to make a game you didn't agree with and instead of accepting that you're claiming the conscious choices they made in designing an action stealth game were somehow detrimental decisions getting in the way of the "true game" which you believe is a stealth game. But it wasn't. They made the kind of game they wanted to make, which was an action stealth game. The stealth was more comprehensive than the combat, which is why the combat could do with some fleshing out, to strike a balance between playstyles, something that they were planning the whole time. More variety on the player's end can lead to more variety on the enemy's end, and there's no reason that in a game being hyped up for having different playstyles we should be stuck using a knife for direct combat.

Arkane made their name doing first-person melee combat better than anybody else, and it's a joke that we got a game with first-person melee combat but little to nothing of what made their previous games so great remaining in the system. More options is better. More combat options will make better combat, and Arkane absolutely knows how to make it work.

I'm basing all of this on what the game was "supposed" to be in accordance with the things they said in development, and the mechanics that were in the final game. I supposed we could always blame Bethesda for the game being action/stealth rather than just a stealth game, but the guys at Arkane seemed genuinely enthusiastic and passionate about every part of the game, and there's no way for us to know otherwise.

Last edited:
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I read that in some news that it was only mediocre overall success (1-2 year ago). But can't find it anymore, sorry.

Apologize more.

In seriousness, it depends on whether the commentator sees the glass half full or half empty and what argument they're making. I'm pretty sure Dishonored sold less than Fallout 3's five million or so copies, which is the gold of triple-A RPG developemnt (Skyrim being Platinum), but well enough per unit of development resources that there's room to grow into. Triple-A RPGs tend to have weaker sales than genre heavy weights like Call of Duty, so any reviweer can argue that almost any RPG has mediocere sales.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I read that in some news that it was only mediocre overall success (1-2 year ago). But can't find it anymore, sorry.

Apologize more.

In seriousness, it depends on whether the commentator sees the glass half full or half empty and what argument they're making. I'm pretty sure Dishonored sold less than Fallout 3's five million or so copies, which is the gold of triple-A RPG developemnt (Skyrim being Platinum), but well enough per unit of development resources that there's room to grow into. Triple-A RPGs tend to have weaker sales than genre heavy weights like Call of Duty, so any reviweer can argue that almost any RPG has mediocere sales.
Man, any game that isn't Skyrim, GTA 5 , Ass creed or CoD has mediocre sells for the AAA jews. By it's own standards, the AAA gamming industry is a mediocre industry as all games are supposed to be bought by the whole universe.:lol: Guess why those niggers are failing left and right?

5 millions gold? You are outdated, they need 5 millions to just break even. Dishonored must had sold a lot , I don't remember Peter Hines very happy and saying that there would be a sequel to Rage.:lol: Trust the jews, they always know where the money is.

Last edited:
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Apologize more.

Man, any game that isn't Skyrim, GTA 5 , Ass creed or CoD has mediocre sells for the AAA jews. By it's own standards, the AAA gamming industry is a mediocre industry as all games are supposed to be bought by the whole universe.:lol: Guess why those niggers are failing left and right?

5 millions gold? You are outdated, they need 5 millions to just break even. Dishonored must had sold a lot , I don't remember Peter Hines very happy and saying that there would be a sequel to Rage.:lol: Trust the jews, they always know where the money is.

Well, the main problem with publishers isn't that they don't make profit, but that they don't make enough profit to justify the investments that perpetuate their existence. I was unwilling to check yesterday because I'm in an Internet wasteland using an awkward device, far away from my beloved desktop, but Dishonored sold 3.10 million copies. I'm under the impression it was made on a budget and served mostly as a stress test on the validity of a triple A- Steampunk RPG. As a stress test, it got streamlined into a Stealth/Action RPG-lite to keep costs down. I woldn't be surpsied if the true story behind Dishonored is that Bethesda approached Activison for the Arcanum rights, but, conscious of Bestheda's ability to turn anything they touch into the market gold, whatever executive had the authority to make the deal listed a price Bethesda could not agree to. Bethesda was probably looking for the option to create something of undetermined value (a Steampnk game) and the Activision executive would have worked from the assumptin they were going to turn Arcanum into the next Elder Scrolls. Priced like that, there was no way Bestheda could agree.

Arcanum sold a quarter million copies and develped some kind of legacy, so there was an acceptable level of risk in investing in it the same way they did with Fallout. They couldn't invest the same amount of money into Dishonored, which was an unproven genre and a new brand name. That stopped it from becoming the RPG Arkane Studios would have preferred it to be, but made Bethesda that much happier when it sold millions of copies.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Siel

Arcane
Patron
Harvey Smith joined Arkane in 2009 if I'm correct. might be around that time. (Given the fact they were working on the Crossing before that).
Also, Arkane is no RPG developer. More Action/Simulation with sometimes RPG elements (or what people like to call Immersive Sims). Pretty sure they would prefer work on the Ultima Underworld or Thief franchises rather than Arcanum.

I woldn't be surpsied if the true story behind Dishonored is that Bethesda approached Activison for the Arcanum rights

lol no

That's very far from the actual truth of it: http://www.pcgamesn.com/dishonored/dishonored-began-life-game-set-medieval-japan

By the way, Arkane was only bought by Bethesda in 2010 and I wouldn't be surprised if Dishonored began as a project before that.

That occurred to me, but it doesn't really contradict my story since either scenario can be made to fit the theory. In fact, if Dishonored was originally itnended to be set in Japan and later became a 19th century Victrian steampunk it supports my theory since this could be chalked up to Bethesda's willingness to invest in the concept.

Even if Arkane thought it up before talking to Bethesda about anything, this would still be true. The fact is, Bethesda needed someone else to create the game because they don't hae the expertise in house to create a quality Stealth/Action RPG-lite, but that was the only game they were willing to make in the genre.

Arkane *was* a RPG developer when?

I thought they made Arx Fatalis, but I could be wrong.

Arx was an UUW-like roaming dungeon sim. Hardly what I'd call an RPG. They're not in league with Obsidian and Biotrash.

Most European developers aren't due to economic limitations, but they have an often cited desire to create deeper RPGs. Its sold under the RPG label in GoG, and I can't afford to be fussy whenI can't research anything. I assume it is more of an RPG than Jdae Empire, which is sold in the Action or Adventure category.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Arx was an UUW-like roaming dungeon sim. Hardly what I'd call an RPG. They're not in league with Obsidian and Biotrash.

Most European developers aren't due to economic limitations, but they have an often cited desire to create deeper RPGs. Its sold under the RPG label in GoG, and I can't afford to be fussy whenI can't research anything. I assume it is more of an RPG than Jdae Empire, which is sold in the Action or Adventure category.

Let's see:

Theory 1: Dishonored's steampunk aesthetic is proof that Bethesda and Arkane secretly wanted to make an Arcanum RPG(!!), a game that few people remember from a genre that Arkane have no experience or past with.

Theory 2: Dishonored's steampunk aesthetic is proof that Arkane were inspired by Thief, which also has a steampunk setting, has many other similarities with Dishonored, and is part of the same broadly defined genre of Looking Glass Studios-style games that Arkane has been emulating for their entire existence.

Which is more likely? Which have they actually outright stated is true?

Last edited:

Let's see:

Theory 1: Dishonored's steampunk aesthetic is proof that Bethesda and Arkane secretly wanted to make an Arcanum RPG(!!), a game that few people remember from a genre that Arkane have no experience or past with.

Theory 2: Dishonored's steampunk aesthetic is proof that Arkane were inspired by Thief, which also has a steampunk setting, has many other similarities with Dishonored, and is part of the same broadly defined genre of Looking Glass Studios-style games that Arkane has been emulating for their entire existence.

Which is more likely? Which have they actually outright stated is true?

That's not my theory, and the two aren't mutually exclusive.

To begin with, the odds that Bethesda never spoke with Activision about Arcanum border on absolute zero. Just as developers are doomed to make demo software that rarely materializes into playable games, companies hire executives and producers to talk about deals that rarely lead to anything material. But you have to have them for the 1 time out of 10 where they do something that works. In short, some executive at Bethesda would have proposed and followed through the motion just to fill out the sheets that justify his existence, even if he had no expectation of success.

Fallout also wasn't a sensible purchase, and conservative company lik Bethesda wouldn't have bothered with it if it hadn't been on sale. It was a dead franchise that bled sales asit degenerated intoa string of non-RPG action and strategy spin offs because the shell company that owned it couldn't afford anything else. But it sold enough and lasted long enough to develop a legacy. More mportantly, it started as an Open World game and had a lot of influence in the genre. That was its legacy. And Bethesda was the last one standing in that fieldand had grown successful enough that they wanted to branch in a non-fantasy intellectual property, and however different the core gameplay systems were, Fallout gave them much stronger footing than starting from scratch. So when the opportunity arose, they couldn't resist.

Fallout 3 also taught them that a legacy isn't as important as the reputation of a legacy and genre appeal. Even if you think Arcanum;s legacy is rather contained, it has enough of both those things to be worth picking up at the right price.

Probem is, after Falout 3 there was little shot of Bethesda ever getting the right price, no matter how useless the license was o Activison.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom