Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divine Divinity is the best shit game I have ever played

DraQ

Arcane
To be honest, "MAXOS!" is not exactly evil, but fuck that option is too good to resist wherever it comes up.
I hope something similar turns up in D:OS.

That dying soldier in Flames of Vengeance who you ask to deliver a message to Amdusias, should he meet him in the afterlife. :lol:
Oh yeah. Good times.
:lol:

Possibly the best :troll: dialogue ever.

Divinity 2 generally had great :troll: options - remember that bandit with "your money or your life!"?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Divine Divinity rocked for most of its playthrough. Sense of humor, return to U7 world interaction, art and gameplay all worked together quite well. Then you get to the end of the game and it becomes completely clear they ran out of time and rushed that whole part. Really soured the game for me.

Gord

Arcane
I think Swen Vincke mentioned in this Matt Chat episode that the final parts of DD were mostly done on publisher request because he "wanted some orange" levels in the game, and not because Larian wanted them.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You can carry a boatload of chests if you're strong enough, and that weightless bed. But that's it, I think. Better to use the starting house as your base, put a few chests there to store stuff in them.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
I put my base right in the middle of Rivertown, where all the merchants hang around. Too bad i can't carry Rivertown in my inventory. :(

Cenobyte

Prophet
I haven't played this game in 10 years or something, but I've fond memories of it. It has some obvious flaws (especially the final parts), but the interactivity, sheer mass of content and hidden stuff in every corner and freedom to develop your character in many ways made more than up for it.

Murk

Arcane
I was fond of the bed and the book that was a chest. In the thieve's guild there's a book that acts as a container for a key (clever, considering how many times you see books that you just gloss over them). This book is very light but can contain things heavier than it -- I used it to organize my charms and smaller magic items.

It was the part of Ultima that was neat (yay you put shit in backpacks) without the teeth-pulling pain of having bags in bags in bags.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Heh, didn't think of such use for the book. Doesn't it get heavier once you put items in it? And why would you put charms there as they are weightless?

Cadmus

Arcane
Huhuuu this game was so cool, I was very confused when I started it because it looked like Diablo clone but suddenly they wanted me to read and think and I even died O.o

Pity the skills were generic and they even kept the main ones for Divinity 2. I also have very fond memories of Divine Divinity tainted by a bugged ending so I never actually finished it.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Heh, didn't think of such use for the book. Doesn't it get heavier once you put items in it? And why would you put charms there as they are weightless?
Keeps your inventory less cluttered, doesn't it? Reminds me, I have to find a letter amidst all the loot I've stashed.

vealck

Novice
I enjoyed Diablo 1&2, loved Fallout 1&2, and Divinity seems to be a strange mix placing somewhere in the middle between them, with some crudeness of Dink Smallwood added on top of all that, just for fun.
I feel that realtime combat was a bad decision here, and it is far from being fluent and enjoyable, when comparing it to D2. Storyline, world interaction depth and quest system are satisfactory, but still lack in the field of solving a problem in more than one way. System is kind of a mess, so to keep the game challenging and get the most fun out of it I'd advise to create a jack-of-all trades character.

Divinity can however be praised for music, humour, graphics and overall oldschool feeling. For some reason I really enjoyed playing it despite all its flaws, and I'd recommend it for anyone who wants a game that doesn't require much commitment while still having that 'oldschool RPG' feel to it. Also, game stability was for me outstanding, while compared to usual trouble older games cause, especially with a lot of alt-tabbing.

The endgame, though, feels rushed by developers and is plainly boring, so I just put remaining skillpoints in scorpions, which are absolutely game-breaking (I heard they were severely nerfed, but in the game version you get at GoG, 5 of them just kill all the end bosses in about 5 seconds, and clear normal enemies before a fireball has even the chance to reach them).

I played this on release and I remember leaving the first dungeon and being overwhelmed by the unexpected freedom and the large-ish gameworld. B-movie writing/jokes are great. Damn you, altar-pissing boy! Must've replayed this thing 5+ times.

On another note, I tried to start a Divinity 2 playthough so many times but can never get past the 1st hour. Does it ever become similar to the first at all?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
When you Div 2, do you the Dragon Knight one or Beyond Divinity? I think Beyond Divinity is a bit dungeon crawly for the first act at least.

Cadmus

Arcane
I enjoyed Diablo 1&2, loved Fallout 1&2, and Divinity seems to be a strange mix placing somewhere in the middle between them, with some crudeness of Dink Smallwood added on top of all that, just for fun.
I feel that realtime combat was a bad decision here, and it is far from being fluent and enjoyable, when comparing it to D2. Storyline, world interaction depth and quest system are satisfactory, but still lack in the field of solving a problem in more than one way. System is kind of a mess, so to keep the game challenging and get the most fun out of it I'd advise to create a jack-of-all trades character.

Divinity can however be praised for music, humour, graphics and overall oldschool feeling. For some reason I really enjoyed playing it despite all its flaws, and I'd recommend it for anyone who wants a game that doesn't require much commitment while still having that 'oldschool RPG' feel to it. Also, game stability was for me outstanding, while compared to usual trouble older games cause, especially with a lot of alt-tabbing.

The endgame, though, feels rushed by developers and is plainly boring, so I just put remaining skillpoints in scorpions, which are absolutely game-breaking (I heard they were severely nerfed, but in the game version you get at GoG, 5 of them just kill all the end bosses in about 5 seconds, and clear normal enemies before a fireball has even the chance to reach them).

I think that real-time would have been great if the combat had been as good and responsive as Diablo 2. I was challenged like hell at the beginning of the game, I wanted to be a warrior but quickly switched to bow when I realized it would be the only way to actually kill something =/ I really liked that you could find strong as fuck enemies and try to kill them for tons of xp.

When you Div 2, do you the Dragon Knight one or Beyond Divinity? I think Beyond Divinity is a bit dungeon crawly for the first act at least.

I must've gotten through half of BD before losing interest. Div 2 couldn't even keep my attention for an hour.

Murk

Arcane

It does get heavier from storing items; but I used it for organization.

Played it for the first time today. It reminds me of Arcanum quite a bit, charming but flawed game with an incredibly shitty combat, beautiful music and some interesting areas. Getting to level 5 took me about 3 hours on hard. Though i didn't know that you could bind potions, skills and such to f1-f12. And that pressing ctrl allows you to attack nearest target without putting mouse over it. Imagine the horror.

Pathfinding and line of sight are giving me cancer. And yet, i can't stop playing it. You nailed it with that title TS.

:hero:

:Flash:

Arcane
Played it for the first time today. It reminds me of Arcanum quite a bit, charming but flawed game with an incredibly shitty combat. Getting to level 5 took me about 3 hours on hard. Though i didn't know that you could bind potions, skills and such to f1-f12. And that pressing ctrl allows you to attack nearest target without putting mouse over it. Imagine the horror.
You do know that you only have to click once on an enemy, don't you?
There are people who thought this is diablo and clicked like crazy.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
You can also put items on the ground in your hut/house and they'll never vanish. You don't even need any storage boxes, the ground is your storage box. I found this to be one of the best innovations of the game. Just wait until you hit the Farmlands, Town and surrounding areas, you'll fall in love with a shitty game :love:

I'm already there and i already did.
:greatjob:
You do know that you only have to click once on an enemy, don't you?
There are people who thought this is diablo and clicked like crazy.

Didn't know that at first either. The best about it though, that i discovered all of those things either by accident or thorough examination. There's a sense of discovery even when it comes to basic mechanics, which is both annoying and nice. You can also throw stuff at things, hurling vases at skeletal guardians was fun, barely did any damage though, i want to try that with boulders now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom