Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity II DKS tips and tricks needed

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well, first of all game is a buggy piece of shit, I fell through terrain 10 times already, once I fell and pressed quicksave instead of quickload and lost about 2 hours of play and my cool axe that gave me +30 base damage. Guess if I was pissed.

Now Im again level 11 Warrior, stuck with that stupid Slayer axe and been playing a war of attrition for the last few hours. Jump in, mash and press a healing potion if needed. Archers are annoying as hell. Went to Bandit camp, got my ass whooped in the temple by poison and Bow skeletons.
Too early to go there?

I got 2 talismans and 2 scrolls in quest items but no quests for them either. When using a talisman it tells me that it did nothing then the lightning strikes me and leaves me with 10 hitpoints.

Cant enter tower yet, fell down from one side and found ghost chambers coincidentally but they cant be opened either.
"there's no handle on the door" as the game tells me lol.

It seems to me I rushed through something or missed a hint or two.

Should I go to that building with the big red face first? Those guys are bigger level then me.
Good way to increase the health regen? Its kinda tiring popping potions every fight. Fight, potion,fight,potion...yaawn.

Gord

Arcane
I've only played Ego Draconis, as I don't have the add-on (yet), but plan on patching up to DKS for a second playthrough.
Strangely I never had the problems you are describing, as the game seemed like a pretty bug-free experience to me.
Maybe the bugs have been introduced in DKS?

Anyway - what helped in ED when you got your ass kicked was to level up a bit someplace else and to return afterwards, as enemies below your level were substantially weaker. Then again, it may be that this behavior has been changed in DKS, so it might not work the same.

What might work with your health issues is to invest a single point into the ability that gives you % to steal health on hit. Even at lowest level this should improve regen quite a bit for you. Don't know at which level you can get this, though.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Markman said:
Well, first of all game is a buggy piece of shit, I fell through terrain 10 times already, once I fell and pressed quicksave instead of quickload and lost about 2 hours of play and my cool axe that gave me +30 base damage. Guess if I was pissed.

Now Im again level 11 Warrior, stuck with that stupid Slayer axe and been playing a war of attrition for the last few hours. Jump in, mash and press a healing potion if needed. Archers are annoying as hell. Went to Bandit camp, got my ass whooped in the temple by poison and Bow skeletons.
Too early to go there?

I got 2 talismans and 2 scrolls in quest items but no quests for them either. When using a talisman it tells me that it did nothing then the lightning strikes me and leaves me with 10 hitpoints.

Cant enter tower yet, fell down from one side and found ghost chambers coincidentally but they cant be opened either.

Should I go to that building with the big red face first? Those guys are bigger level then me.
Good way to increase the health regen? Its kinda tiring popping potions every fight. Fight, potion,fight,potion...yaawn.

Go to the Larian forums and ask for a sparkling quest trail.

- -talisman of west, south etc? You need 3 of those all found in the underground area, one entry is in goblin village, there's a demon statue down there (should have read the clues) you have to use the talismans in a certain sequence before the statue., you'll get the fourth one then which is p. good stat-wise
- Scrolls, there are several more of them scattered around Broken Valley, the Imp ZixZax the almost wise can translate them, used to operate the teleporters (those which ask for password)
- to enter Lovis tower climb the ladders on those bridge rests on the other side of the tower, but even then you have to solve a puzzle find some levers etc

I played as an archer, a mage and a warrior, in that order. Warrior build is the hardest one, would never recommend for the first time.

DraQ

Arcane
Markman said:

Too early to go there?
Nope, just too dumb.

:smug:

Nah, you missed a brain.

I never solved that shit with talismans myself, only got two of them every time I played. Just couldn't be bothered. There was always more fun shit to do, it seemed.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Multidirectional said:
I never solved that shit with talismans myself, only got two of them every time I played. Just couldn't be bothered. There was always more fun shit to do, it seemed.

Yeah, it's obvious where they are, the talisman of the west in the cave to the west etc, but one of them (south?) is really hard to find because it's not where it should be (if you look on the map) but instead in a hard to spot small container on some goblin totem iirc. Somewhat away from the alcove you expect it to be.

Isn't this game quite straight-forward? Just press the aWesome button to linearize yourself to victory.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Im not lost, just wanted to hear other peoples impressions about their early game.
Thats why I called it "tips and tricks" and hoped people would post some tips and tactics, builds, whatever.

Got the Awesome sword after the fight with dragon slayers so its a bit easier now. Found that lever to get into tower, it was right above my head lol.

Now I got 2 places to go to besides usual exploring, one is Bandit camp temple where I got my ass whooped 2 levels ago and another is mine where I was told that I was too weak.
And the main quest that I got from Lovis.

So far its pretty much like Dins Curse, run around, explore and solve a subquest or two under the way. But I had much more fun fighting in Dins Curse.

Only cool gimmick is IMO mindreading, but sometimes it makes it a bit too easy. Solve quests by sacrificing a bit of XP to get it tenfold in return.
Didnt get to play a dragon yet, except a minute in the beggining so I cant comment on that.

Oh, and Draq, get the fuck out of my thread.

Angthoron

Arcane
Haven't had any of the bugs OP mentions. Melee build is a lot about charging in, killing and moving away, though once you get Whirlwind, Jump attack and the likes, it becomes a lot easier to play.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Melee characters are pussies until level 15 when they can get Bleed and Life leech. From then on, it's just Rush attacking in and spam Whirlwind.

Against bosses, Thousand Strikes is instawin.

You can even go funky and make a build with a ridiculously high critical hit chance, by maxing out Deathblow and careful crafting.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
At the beginning combat seems somewhat hard but after a few levels it gets easier.

Melee fighter is probably the hardest class to begin with because you have to get close and dirty. If you bump up vitality all the way though you'll et pretty powerful after the first half and with good armor you'll soak up damage pretty good.

I used an all-around built in my playthrough which mainly focused on magic though. Magic missile and Magic Blast kick ass especially if you bump up "destruction" and use "way of the warrior mage" (or something). Explosive arrow is another excellent ability. Good to have even if you don't have any other archer skills.

One point in stealth is always useful since you can disappear and leave the combat if you're getting your ass kicked. One point in healing is probably all you'll ever need. That "dash" ability is also very useful because you can get close to archers and magic users and kill them quickly. Mana leach and Life leach are useful if you use melee.

Vitality is extremely important in all builds. Even if you're a magic user you need to have vitality similar to your mana pool, if not more. You don't need any more than 900-1000 mana points anyway, you'll never run out of mana with that amount.

Keep all malachite gems up until you find a good equipment set. Before going into the hall of echoes use them for regenerating enchantments on your set. This basically a god time to use all your divine charms too.

After maxos temple I found the game pretty easy on "normal" and eventually switched to "very hard". With builds that focus on ranged combat the game gets easy after a while. I only had problems with Bhaal because he could insta-kill me with a magic blast in very hard.

You don't have to finish all the flying fortresses. The endless hack'n'slash can get very tedious after a while. You don't even have to use one of the special equipment sets. If have a good array of misc armor/items it can get as good as one of those sets, even better maybe. Items that increase one of the abilities you use are the most important.

lightbane

Arcane
Some questions: What's the level cap? How much can you raise your attributes? I started playing this game the last week and I've been enjoying it so far. I plan to make my character a mix between a fighter and a mage, should I bother putting any points in Dexterity, or just focus on Vitality and Strength?

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
The most important stats to deal damage are INT and STR(melee) or DEX(ranged). INT contributes to all kinds of magic damage, spells as well as the magic damage stat of weapons. DEX also contributes to critical hit chance. STR contributes to regeneration iirc. The cap is 40 or so for EGO Draconis and at least 50 for FoV. However, you won't come near.
Imo even at lvl45 you won't need more than 50 Willpower (including all charms/bonuses etc) to have more than enough mana. One should strife for ~70 in DEX, STR and INT (but that includes all charms and armor set bonuses etc). The last 30 points to reach the max of 100 you can get thru potion usage. Hence you should put the most points into CON for more HP because there are no CON increasing potions.

VentilatorOfDoom said:
DEX also contributes to critical hit chance.

You mean Heightened Reflexes? I'm pretty sure it's crit damage, not chance. Chance can be increased through skills and items.
NEVER increase Spirit, if you are warrior one point in Mana Leech is enough, otherwise - 5 points in Mana Efficiency.
ED is usually finished at lv 34-35, FoV at 44-45. That isn't entirely helpful for planning out your build though, because you'll come across a shitload of skill books in the game later on, namely in FoV. There are also skillpoints and statpoints to be gained via mindreading, so NEVER pass on the opportunity to use this ability. Exp scaling system in the game will ensure nothing is really lost on it.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Divinity 2 melee combat in a nutshell:

rush attack -> whirlwind attack -> jump attack -> run away to recharge abilities -> repeat until enemies no longer move.

And there are actually people who think Div2 combat is good.

Darth Roxor said:

rush attack -> whirlwind attack -> jump attack -> run away to recharge abilities -> repeat until enemies no longer move.

Yeah, pretty much.. At least until you can leech enough. A lot like launching arrows or spells, except you launch your character instead. It might be better to not kid yourself and play ranged builds really.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Darth Roxor said:

And there are actually people who think Div2 combat is good.

Raging on TW2 combat, raging on Div2 combat...only a true twitch combat expert could be so at ease in discovering combat limitations. Us story and C&C fags find combat in these types of games much more challenging cause we don't look instantly for the exploits like those brought up on street fighter console fightan. :smug:

You're correct though, even if it seems like a silly way to play. Hard to resist definitely. I tend to just create characters how I want them, not how they should be made and that tends to 'naturally' gimp them a bit more. Same in Morrowind, yeah you can break it easily, but what's the point?

I wouldn't worry about gimping yourself or anything. This isn't Diablo. All skills are respeccable eventually and stats really play a pretty marginal role. A 100 strength warrior only does 50% more melee damage than a 1 strength warrior, and since the strength doesn't even affect magic damage its really only 25% more damage overall if half of your damage was magical. Similar story with other stats. Even the most powergamed warrior or mage builds can swap skill sets instantly and play the other role with about 75-80% efficiency.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I just bought this... it's a little popamole, but it also reminds me of Ultima and Divine Divinity.

I have to say, though, the pace is really, really, really, really, really slow at the beginning. Branching quests are good, though. Secret buttons are difficult to spot.

I hope increasing my Intelligence makes my summons do more damage! I'm level 9 or so right now and have 1 Summon Undead, 1 Fireball, 5 Lockpick and 2 Mindreading. (I want to max mindreading in case too low of a skill prevents me from reading everyone).

Don't put any more points in Mindreading. It only lowers exp costs, it doesn't make Mindreading skill more powerful in any other way. Maxing out Lockpick was a smart choice though.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
That's lame, one of the descriptions in-game led me to believe that certain characters can only be mind-read if your skill is high enough. Good thing I'll be able to re-spec in the future then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom