Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

JasonNH

Augur
Apparently I backed this and am getting the collectors box. I must have been drunk because I don't remember and haven't even completed D:OS yet. Looking at my Larian Vault page I'm getting tons of cool stuff like a dwarven mug. It's like a new 'Bumvelcrow Appreciation Day' has just been sprung on me unexpectedly. I might take some pictures when it arrives.

Edit:
campaign_dos2.jpg
Okay, now I understand...

Except, there is no dwarven ale mug in the CE. :P

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I should check if I have any rewards... Never been to their site though.

Edit: it seems their forums password recovery is completely broken. Eh, whatever.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
Except, there is no dwarven ale mug in the CE. :P

Well, my Larian vault page says that's what I'm getting, so I will be very disappointed if it doesn't appear. I've already made plans for all the exciting things I'm going to drink out of it. Could I have added it as an extra? I don't think I've ever been that drunk. Hey, looks like I'm getting PoE2 as well!

:dance:

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
There were two big impediments to getting into the first game. One was the story, like everyone is complaining about. I'll be the first to say story isn't real important for an RPG, but holy crap, if you can't write a good one, keep it short and brief. D:OS was the worst combination of mind-numbing, overly wordy, and "zany" for it's own good.

The second was the starting class packages and skill loadouts. They are all really bad, but you have to get a certain ways into the game before you realize that. At the start the player really needs some way to deal damage and a way to heal it, not skills that make enemies wet or fall down and go boom. It doesn't help that the skill vendors are horribly signposted. Why would I even think the base commander is a skill vendor?

KateMicucci

Arcane
The second was the starting class packages and skill loadouts. They are all really bad, but you have to get a certain ways into the game before you realize that. At the start the player really needs some way to deal damage and a way to heal it, not skills that make enemies wet or fall down and go boom. It doesn't help that the skill vendors are horribly signposted. Why would I even think the base commander is a skill vendor?
Skill vendors still aren't obvious in the 2, and some of them even die during the normal progression of quests, which is unacceptable. However the healing problem has been fixed with the addition of bedrolls.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I think the skill books should've been strewn about to entice exploration, I mean all of them, since the random loot doesn't. That would also permit more fine-tuning of the encounters, since the designers would know what skills the player has access to in any given fight.

KateMicucci

Arcane
Vendor skill books are already gated by level so there's that already.

A high chance of finding skill books as random chest loot would have been a good idea. Right now there are only a small number and they're all hand placed.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Barebone manual: http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/435150/manuals/DOS2_Game_Manual.pdf

...with foreword by Swen Vicnke:

Hello!

It’s now traditional that I write a foreword for our games and tell you a bit about the hopes and aspirations we had when we set out creating them. In Divinity: Original Sin 2, our ambition was to evolve – to take everything that made Divinity: Original Sin 1 such a fun game and replace the bad bits with better bits. That’s a normal aspiration for a sequel, but when I compare the game we planned with the game we made, the gap is huge. We’ve done so much more with D:OS2 than we originally intended. The reason for that is simple: over 100,000 Kickstarter backers and Early Access players gave us the confidence to abandon all prudence, to race forward without looking, and to embrace all kinds of new ideas, trusting that we’d figure out a way to make it all work. And by the Seven, we did.

I’m playing an interim build of Divinity: Original Sin 2 and can’t shake the feeling that this game is very different to any other CRPG I’ve played. Whether that’s a good thing or not is for you to decide – but personally I think it’s awesome. The things I probably appreciate the most are the freedom I’m given to explore and the amount and type of choices I get to make. There are so many and they all impact my gameplay – exactly the kind of thing I look for when I’m playing an RPG.

Take the make-up of your party. Each origin character can be either played as an avatar or recruited as a companion, and the way these origin characters play is very different if a human (one of up to 4!) is controlling them. On top of that, each player can decide to co-operate or compete with other players. The amount of permutations is insane and they all lead to different experience.

Or take the ability to play as an undead. When raised from the dead, you’ll get to make unique choices. But the same applies if you’re a dwarf! Or an elf! Race and background have a big impact on how you’re treated in Rivellon and you’ll find there’s a lot of hidden gameplay when you switch races (should you be lucky enough to find a Mask of the Shapeshifter!)

Or take the ability to talk to ghosts. You’ll quickly find that if you decide to kill everyone in the game (a valid way of playing) there will be plenty of ghosts whom you can talk to.

Or take the skills and spells you’ll learn. There are well over two hundred skills in the game, and others you can craft. Countless combinations are waiting to be discovered, and that, together with all the combat innovations we’ve introduced (like height advantage, for example) along with a much better AI and the ability to bless or curse surfaces and clouds, means that each fight will feel different from the previous one.

The list goes on – as you’ll discover for yourself – and it’s quite impressive. It’s a testimonial to the incredible hard work, skill and passion of my team that they managed to pull it all off at such a high standard. I’m very, very proud of them.

And I didn’t even talk about all the extras! There’s Game Master Mode – which I seriously advise you to try one evening with a couple of friends; an arena – in which you can try to end those friendships; and a modding tool – with the same editor we used to make the game.

So why are you still reading this? A beautiful adventure full of surprises is waiting for you, and I wish you (and whoever you’ll play the game with) loads of fun! Be sure to share your stories with us!

Warm regards,

~ Swen Vincke

---

Yo LESS T_T, any idea when reviews are coming out?

No idea. It seems they sent keys a day or two ago: https://steamdb.info/app/435150/history/?changeid=3399020

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Looks like #1 to me.

Does it even have any potential competition at this time to steal the spotlight?

GrainWetski

Arcane
DOS #2 top seller after PUBG half an hour before release: http://store.steampowered.com/search/?filter=topsellers&os=win

Release should put it over the top, but for how long? I remember before SteamSpy we all made sure to keep track of this to get an idea of how well games were selling.
It's #1 on the Swedish top list.

Did my part and just bought it as well.

Looks like #1 to me.

Does it even have any potential competition at this time to steal the spotlight?
http://store.steampowered.com/search/?filter=globaltopsellers&os=win

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, Dishonored: Death of the Outsider releases tomorrow.

I didn't follow how that game did. Was it a big enough deal in the end that this kind of expansion would be a thing here?

Edit -- Oh yes, it was a regional chart, in the global it's #2...

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Looks like #1 to me.

Could black woman as main character steal spotlight?
It releases tomorrow? Guess I know what I'll play then.
Witcher 3? I still didn't play that one.

Heinrich

Scholar

I didn't follow how that game did. Was it a big enough deal in the end that this kind of expansion would be a thing here?

Edit -- Oh yes, it was a regional chart, in the global it's #2...
It has 900 000 owners on steamspy, which would make it smaller than the first Original Sin.

Edit: It was first in global top sellers for a few hours yesterday.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Looks like #1 to me.

Could black woman as main character steal spotlight?
It releases tomorrow? Guess I know what I'll play then.
Witcher 3? I still didn't play that one.
Only from lawbreakers and tyranny's new expansion... i forgot the name.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom