Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin 2 Kickstarter Update #41: Split Screen, Skill & Rune Crafting, Sourcery

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Divinity: Original Sin 2; Larian Studios; Swen Vincke

Larian have kicked off August with a bang with today's Divinity: Original Sin 2 Kickstarter update, the first major one since the game's release date was announced in May. The update introduces several features that they've been working on recently, starting with the announcement that like its predecessor's Enhanced Edition, Original Sin 2 will have controller support with split screen co-op. There's a description of the Skill Crafting system, which allows you to combine elemental with non-elemental skill books to create new abilities, as well as the new Rune Crafting system, with which you can craft runes for upgrading your items. There's a look at the unique abilities the player will have as a Sourcerer - namely, the ability to converse with spirits and absorb their powers, so you can LARP as a Watcher and a Spirit Eater. Finally, there's the news that Larian have implemented new death animations that make use of the always popular ragdoll physics. You can see all of that and more in the update's accompanying video, which features a particularly manic Swen Vincke:

Take Control… ler!

Good news everyone! Divinity: Original Sin 2 will have controller support for PC on release! And for those who have been asking, yes, DOS2 does support split screen play with controller support. So you can play co-op with your best friend, fiance, your grandma, your pet chihuahua: you name it! Okay maybe not the chihuahua. They can get bitey. In addition, you can use controllers and split screen to go one step further to play a four player game on two connected PC’s.

Got Skillz?

Now you can create new skills using our Skill Crafting mechanism! As an example below, we can combine a necromancy and fire spell to get a completely new and powerful ability; Corpse Explosion!

Simply combine any elemental book with any non-elemental book to gain a new skill. Experiment away!

As you most certainly know in addition to these skills, your character will also have Source Skills. You can use the power of your Source Skill to talk to spirits (via Source Vision) or even suck the power out of them (via Source Vampirism). You can also power up your Source through items of power or Source pools.

Rune It!

In addition to Skill Crafting, we are also introducing Rune Crafting! Players can find or craft runes to improve weapons and gear. For example, if you combine Pixie Dust, Wood and Oil you'll create a Small Flame Rune! You can then enchant items with available Rune Slots to give the item additional effects. In this example, we'll be adding +10% damage as Fire damage to our Magical Composite Bow.

You’ll be able to find and create small, medium and large runes, and identical runes can be combined to create stronger runes!

Beautiful Death

Witnessing your character’s death throes is now 50% more fun with the addition of ragdoll physics and better death animation! Did your character catch fire? Instead of a pile of ash, now they’re be a pile of scorched bone! Were they on a hill when they died? Now physics will take over and send them on a death spiral! You’re welcome.

It seems like Larian may have originally planned to release a patch for the Early Access version with support for these features, but with the final game now only a month and a half away, there's no time for that anymore. There will be another Kickstarter update before release though, which might have some information about Original Sin 2's most closely guarded secret - Chris Avellone's Undead race.

Black

Arcane
EE tried to fix DOS' story by expanding on it and its characters rather than cutting the fat. Additionally many cool things like lone wolf/glass cannon were cut because of :littlemissfun:
And they murdered the cheese vendor.

Last edited:

Black

Arcane
Don't know what form would that be since you can't get one if you have the other.
Besides, what was even the point gc/lw characters combined had on average less hp, ap, skill points, attribute points, talents, max summons and damage than "standard" 4 character party. Pointless decisions to remove cool things people liked and came up with for the sake of balance in a single player rpg.

Last edited:
Developer
To clarify - I didn’t design the undead race, only one undead’s backstory, not sure how much survived (not in a bad way).

The undead are too important to be solely left to me, is my feeling, so don't take that as a bad thing - Divinity 2 is amazing, and I admire Swen's force of will to make it Great (capitalized).

Give me a few months, happy to discuss spoilers once the game is out.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
To clarify - I didn’t design the undead race, only one undead’s backstory, not sure how much survived

2735.jpg

Darkzone

Arcane
Larian needs only to tune the Ragdoll physics, currently Larian's mix of dieing animations-ragdoll doesn't look that good, but that can be changed. Also it reminds me of this, which btw. is good but not in this context.:

Last edited:

Athelas

Arcane
only one undead’s backstory
Translation: I didn't write any of the dialogue for that particular undead character, someone else took the backstory and wrote the dialogue for it.

I look forward to D:OS 2 getting rave reviews for its writing regardless because of the Avellone placebo effect. :cool:

Last edited:
Skill Crafting.
Such Glorious Incline.
Excuse me while i retrieve some petrolleum jelly to fap to the glorious vision decribed in the update and prepare for butthurt in case it turns out to be shit.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Of all the games I've kickstarted the one I feel the least bit apprehensive is this one.... Sven will probably just deliver a great game as usual and a couple of months after release all the kinks will get worked out and it will be awesome
This is maybe the only possible challenger to Grimoire for Goty

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Of all the games I've kickstarted the one I feel the least bit apprehensive is this one.... Sven will probably just deliver a great game as usual and a couple of months after release all the kinks will get worked out and it will be awesome

I don't get why people think that D:OS is flawless.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2

I don't get why people think that D:OS is flawless.
Who the fuck said flawless?
Most great games have very serious flaws... Planescape Torment, Fallout, Daggerfall etc
But the point is D:OS was a great game for all of its whacky dialogue and atmosphere
If you think D:OS suck what are you doing on a D:OS 2 thread anyway idiot?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom