Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Divinity: Original Sin 2 likely to receive additional content, but not an Enhanced Edition

getter77

Augur
If nothing else, I hope they can add the remainder of the skillset/class options that didn't make it in the various rounds of unfortunate polling right after the end of the KS---some cool stuff lost out and the post-release timeframe would be a great time to add them back into the mix proper to entice folks on future playthroughs and whatnot.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I recall getting the GoG copy cheaper from G2A, I don't think I have anything besides that and Fallout 2 from there.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Also, the success of DOS2 mean - I believe - that PoE2 already was torpedoed, because if they won't change it significantly, there will be more criticism, less recognition and public attention, because masses now have something to compare with.
In short - PoE2 is doomed.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Some fans feared that the story might be gimmicky, which turned out to be unfounded [...] D:OS2 casts you into a living and breathing world that gives you choices

What in the world of fuck do you also enjoy the Disney Channel

YOU ARE BEING ATTACKED BY SHADOW WORMS!!! I WONDER WHY!!!
ITS COS YOU ARE SUPER CHOSEN ONE!!! AND KIND OF GOD HEIR LIKE BHAALSPAWN BUT WITH A STUPIDER NAME!!!!
OH LOOK YOU FALL ASLEEP AND YOU ARE IN A MYSTERIOUS SHADOW WORLD & YOU GET CRYPTIC CLUES ABOUT YOUR DESTINY!!!
ISN'T IT AMAZING I'VE NEVER HAD THESE OMINOUS DREAMS IN ANY OTHER GAME AND THEY'RE TOTALLY NOT BORING
ALSO MYSTERIOUS MAGICK POWER THAT MAKES EVERYTHING IN THIS STORY WORK, YOU MUST SEEK IT!!!!

:kwafuckyeah:

Tigranes

Arcane
I mean, I'm positive about the game and really enjoy it, and the writing is better than Larian's usual, but that's really not saying a whole lot

Black

Arcane
Ironic, DOS 1 was mostly fine, didn't need EE (which made many aspects of the game worse) while DOS 2 needs EE and isn't getting one.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Roguey lukaszek MrBuzzKill DeepOcean
It's almost certainly not true anymore, but it would account for the lower peak number.
Witcher 3 has sold around 10 million copies one and a half years ago (in March 2016) and according to CD Projekt Red in first quarter of 2017 it did better than in Q1 2016. According to SteamSpy there are less than 4 million (3,740,645 ± 56,883) Steam copies currently so where are the other 6 million (or more like 9 million or more because it surely is not 10 million one and a half years later)? The answer is GOG. As Krzysiek said, retail copies had GOG keys, same goes for keys that were included with graphic cards. And retail copies had only Witcher 3 inside, the rest (i.e. expansions) HAD to be downloaded via GOG so it's pretty certain that majority of those who bought the retail version also activated it on GOG. On the other hand DOS 2 doesn't even have a retail version.
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/witcher-3-ships-almost-10-million-copies-report/1100-6435592/

And anyway, from the start there were more players playing it on GOG than on Steam so it's no wonder that DOS 2 had better results when most people buy it on Steam (and very small percentage on GOG).

Last edited:

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Witcher 3 has sold around 10 million copies one and a half years ago (in March 2016)

It was number shipped to shops. And it includes consoles too, so the non-steam 6 millions you are talking about are divided between consoles and gog.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Ironic, DOS 1 was mostly fine, didn't need EE (which made many aspects of the game worse) while DOS 2 needs EE and isn't getting one.

Pretty much. I've seen enough to see that D:OS2 is going after the type of person who goes to the watch vs the dex. Guess all I have to look forward to is the GOG release of Grimoire.

Sacibengala

Prophet
Until I get some patch that fix the absurd memory usage from act 2 and beyond, I'm back to my blackguards playthrough. And, that game is hard. I like it, and I like more that in this I don't get so many magic effects like in divinity.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
It was number shipped to shops. And it includes consoles too, so the non-steam 6 millions you are talking about are divided between consoles and gog.
I thought so too initially but later in the text you have:
Overall, the entire Witcher series has sold 20 million copies, meaning the latest game--released in May 2015--made up half of all franchise sales.

With consoles you're right but it's a #pcmasterrace game so it must have sold way better on PCs than on consoles.

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Until I get some patch that fix the absurd memory usage from act 2 and beyond, I'm back to my blackguards playthrough. And, that game is hard. I like it, and I like more that in this I don't get so many magic effects like in divinity.
Yeah, I waiting for it too. Playing Underrail.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
With consoles you're right but it's a #pcmasterrace game so it must have sold way better on PCs than on consoles.

I've seen one source saying it's 70/30 for console/pc and another saying "more on pc than console combined". Both claims could have been true at different moments, but since the second looks more recent, I'll agree that TW3 sold more on pc, but I don't think that there is 6 millions on gog (more like 2 millions)

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Makes sense. Only aspect worth overhauling would be the itemization, and they clearly don't want to do that. Most of the problems should be fixable with number tweaks - even gear would be much better if they just reduced the scaling and made rarity count for more, relatively speaking. If a unique item were still competitive against magic items 5 levels higher, it would help a lot with the gear churn, even without changing the system.

That aside, it's mostly bugs and balance problems left.

Some fans feared that the story might be gimmicky, which turned out to be unfounded [...] D:OS2 casts you into a living and breathing world that gives you choices

What in the world of fuck do you also enjoy the Disney Channel

YOU ARE BEING ATTACKED BY SHADOW WORMS!!! I WONDER WHY!!!
ITS COS YOU ARE SUPER CHOSEN ONE!!! AND KIND OF GOD HEIR LIKE BHAALSPAWN BUT WITH A STUPIDER NAME!!!!
OH LOOK YOU FALL ASLEEP AND YOU ARE IN A MYSTERIOUS SHADOW WORLD & YOU GET CRYPTIC CLUES ABOUT YOUR DESTINY!!!
ISN'T IT AMAZING I'VE NEVER HAD THESE OMINOUS DREAMS IN ANY OTHER GAME AND THEY'RE TOTALLY NOT BORING
ALSO MYSTERIOUS MAGICK POWER THAT MAKES EVERYTHING IN THIS STORY WORK, YOU MUST SEEK IT!!!!

:kwafuckyeah:

But... that's not really what happens. Rather than having a mysterious destiny and ominous dreams, you're chosen by a specific god, who tells you in fairly specific terms what you're needed for and why. It's also pretty clear from the onset that said god is a selfish asshole who sees you as little more than a disposable tool, and is clearly holding back critical information.

It's actually pretty funny when you compare it to PoE, which starts off with very intriguing hooks like the Hollowborn plague, the war and the Waidwen/Eothas mystery, advances in animancy leading to social unrest; and then proceeds to throw all of this away in favor of dealing with the world's foundational metaphysics and talking to gods in the third act. Meanwhile, D:OS 2 starts with talking to gods and being superchosen, and then works itself into a multilateral conflict between several different parties with their own reasonable (if usually not charitable) motivations.

Tigranes

Arcane
Cowboy Moment I was hyperbolic because that guy I was quoting talked like he works for PC gamer. More fairly, it is definitely the most impressive story Larian have provided in their history, and there are many aspects of it that show cool nuance. Your God isn't purely Mr Exposition and there's a bit of power struggle between you and it as the latter is clearly vulnerable. And although I don't know how the ending will pan out, throughout there's interesting pockets of ambiguity created in terms of Lucian's intentions, or the nice little reveal about the nature of the Voidwoken.

However, DOS2 leaves a lot of this nuance underused in how the game actually pans out, and many of the scenes you experience in the main plot have too much of Boring Bioware or Disney Channel in them. Being Godwoken mostly means it's always "OOH CHOSEN ONE BORN WITH SPESHUL SNOWFLAKES" and you spend half the game feeling like you're just fighting dumb mystery worms from THE VOIIIIID.

Secondly, while the writing designed a lot of nuances and twists with the factions and characters and who has secret allegiance to whom and what their motivations are, they're delivered through such a set of disconnected quests that in the end everybody just feels irrelevant. We complain rightly about loredumps, but DOS2 has a problem of not communciating factions/chars effectively, so you've got a world of demons and elves and Black Ring and God King and Lone Wolves and whatever else all knitted into all these elaborate double-crossing plans but in the end what you experience is you kill most of them and get what you need for your own agenda.

It would have been more effective to reduce some of the sprawl, and then focus on delivering the remaining oomphs - the double-crossing, secret agendas, hidden truths - in a more distributed way throughout the game. Again not quite having finished the game, seems to me the voidwoken secret and the illness of the gods seem most interesting. It would have been cool to start as a Magister hunting down Godwoken or a faithful of a God tasked with helping one of the (insufferable) Godwoken. I accept that it's a series staple that one seeks Divinity, but it just isn't very interesting.

As I've said elsewhere, DOS2 represents a good step forward for Larian in terms of their overarching plot or moment-to-moment dialogue no longer being dogshit but overall being quite decent. What they need to actually make their games good for storyfags is now to work on integrating their delivery into the choice and distribution of quests, twists, revelations, natural reveal of info in-game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom