Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Metagaming Thread

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
Playing with a party of 2 lone wolves seems to be the way to go 2h weapons and Ranged are very OP spells seem to lag behind.

One thing for metagaming that may or may not have been mentioned. I noted that equiping weapons higher level than yourself is bad because of -20% accuracy but higher level armour has no negative effects so rushing a place where you know good unique plate armours is a good strategy.

scytheavatar

Scholar
Ranged is okay as secondary damage skill after Warfare.
Warfare is 5% to all physical damage. Ranged is 5% to all damage types with a bow plus 1% to crit. Am I missing something, because ranged appears to be the best choice on paper for a purely bow using character. It's 5% on my bow's physical and elemental damage with a bonus to crit versus 5% on my bow's physical damage only.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DivinityOr...mage_calculations_for_stat_and_skill_scaling/

The damage is calculated as

Total damage = WeaponDamage*WarfareBonus%*HighGroundBonus%*(1+RangedBonus%+FinesseBonus%+BloodSacBonus%)

Which means that Ranged adds a lot less than Warfare. That is why you should never put points not just in Ranged but also the other weapon skills (1H/2H/DW). The optimal way to build ranged and rogue characters is to put points into being able to use the skills you want, then dump everything else into Warfare. You should never put more than 3 points into Scoundrel or Huntsman too for that reason.

Tigranes

Arcane
Jesus. That means every character is the same; all physical fighters put like 3 points for skill reqs and everything else in Warfare, and probably 90% of their attribs in STR or FIN as well. You have to suspect that's just them fucking up the algorithm and Warfare bonus is supposed to be less than weapon skills?

Murk

Arcane
Scoundrel increases your crit damage tho, unless that's messed up as well.

Raapys

Arcane
Warfare reigns supreme. And on top of that the talent that adds +3% vitality per point in warfare, i.e. a 60% increase. Priceless when you're going solo melee. Scoundrel's crit damage increase is nice, like 2H's, but even at 100% crit chance it's not increasing your damage as much as Warfare does.

Murk

Arcane
Yeah my dual wielding necro 10 scoundrel 6 dude was doing 150+ damage per 'attack' before I left ft. joy, each dagger only had like 16-19 atk on them, but high finesse + skills gave me good damage output.

Summoner / Ranger lone wolf hybrid works surprisingly well.

lv10 at driftwood now.
stat wise Finesse: Memory:Wits 2:1:1 i suppose for the sk initiative. Later when enough slots skimp on memory for finesse/wits.
also a base point or two into str and int for gear requirements.

summon 5 base
ranger 3 base, lower if u get rings/necklace/belt with +ranger skills
scoundrel 1 base
max warfare
rest in summon; maybe get a point in a couple of magic schools/polymorph for utility. or pump scoundrel a bit for the sweet crit mult...your choice on versatality vs damage.

Traits so far: Lone wolf, the pawn and Far out man. next maybe picture of health or duck duck goose?

Tactical retreat, cloak and dagger, phoenix dive for mobility.
barrage, ricochet, ballistic shot etc are for phy damage i suppose.
enrage for garuanteed crit (yourself or summon)

summoning is meat shield and damage.
an infused champion incarnate.

I didnt bother with gureilla stealth or snipe as it requiees too much setup.

So this guy goes first usually. 1st turn summon/infuse/enrage champ incarnate. you want to summon phy dmg incarnate or blood incarnate in most cases.

if u go for elemental incarnate, dont enrage ur summon and use speshul arrows.

so summon wrecks havock critical whirlwind and incarnate ranged attacks are pretty good.

while ranger potshots from far away using tactical retreat and cloak dagger as required for GTFO situations.

Alternatively, second turn begginibg you could enrage your self and pump out barrage ricochet skills, but summon becomes a bit lackluster then.

Murk

Arcane
If you can set up before the fight, use the mask to turn into an elf and use blood sacrifice.

Tigranes

Arcane
Driftwood actually seems more interesting than Fort Joy so far, tons of things to do, nice dwarf/magister/etc dynamics around town that's better done than Joy, and all sorts of surprising/odd places like the layout of the Wrecker Caverns and the graveyard area.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Yeah my dual wielding necro 10 scoundrel 6 dude was doing 150+ damage per 'attack' before I left ft. joy, each dagger only had like 16-19 atk on them, but high finesse + skills gave me good damage output.

Rogues are good early to midgame, but later on the 2H warrior outscales everyone else except maybe ranger. The rogue DOES have one saving grace: mortal blow. This attack is the best "burst" in the game an can easily remove the grey shield from bosses in the first turn when combined with chamaleon.

I will say one thing: the people that did the combat system flunked math in school 4sure. Between the obviously screwed up initiative, the terribly balanced skills and the existance of onslaught/daggers drawn (skills that deal LESS damage than simply auto attacking) one can safely conclude that they had no idea wtf they were doing. Too busy writting non-bigoted representation of queer characters to bother with trivial things like combat system.

The silver lining is that all these problems are fixable, either by patches or mods. But I won't stick around long enough to replay this mediocre game with a "rebalaned combat mod" just like I never did bother with Wasteland 2's Director Cut.

Murk

Arcane
I think dual wielding rogue maintains usefulness into late game, but I am also utilizing other skills (necromancy and now geomancy which also lets you strip armor very fast.) I do dislike that you can't use another finesse based single-handed weapon on your offhand tho (no options, really) and that off hand dagger doesn't crit/backstab.

The one that I find is kind of a bust is single-handed -- shields are very good early on but quickly the low damage output of one-handed weapons shows.

I don't think the game is mediocre, but it's not great either. It is unfortunate that there were so many steps back system wise. I could forgive the stupid *dialog* and I don't care which characters are gay/straight/bi (personally, I prefer no romance options at all, but whatever) but the system changes -- and really, it's just three, bug me.

Return to stat based resistance for status effects
Remove the armor mechanic altogether and instead implement damage resistance like before
Fix initiative (hard coded, lel)

That's all I'd suggest. The rest of the stuff that I may not like I think is fine because at some point there have to be changes, and there's enough good to keep it interesting and fun for me. But eh, tastes and experiences vary.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The off-hand dagger doesnt backstab? Im pretty sure I saw the effects (like Silencing or whatever) of the off-hand dagger being applied when backstabbing

Murk

Arcane
Interesting -- I know it counts as a 'crit' but the damage is clearly lower, even if your offhand has a higher base atk value than your main hand. 50% seems about right.

I was hoping I could get a rapier or scimitar or some other finesse-scaling melee weapon that has a higher atk value than daggers, but oh well.

I guess dagger-n-shield rogues aren't terribad for that. Sucker Punch is p nice, though I would much rather have the trip ability from OS1.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
IMHO I think single handed being shit is not the worse thing ever. It's balanced by the fact that shields are so fucking godly. Frankly, S&B should be used as tank support. Forget about the damage, it just ain't gonna happen. My warpriest Lohse is my tankiest character right now and spends her turns casting a YUUUGE array of buffs, debuffs and cc. Almost zero damage, except for the boomerang shield. Man that skill is retarded. You get to nuke ppl's faces despite having ZERO investment in offensive stats.

Murk

Arcane
Using two things also gives the benefit of one more slot with enchantments. One of the reasons why I valued dual wielding in OS1, though in the sequel it does indeed seem like switching to two handed is a better call.

My warfare/summoner/polymorph is going that route now after securing enough buffs to compensate for armor loss. The ability to recall 1/3rd of your armor with shields up is huge, so things like mend, steelheart, soothing cold are nice -- as is the ability to just stack some extra armor via fortify, bone cage, etc.

I do find diversifying my character builds is much more viable now as there's no penalty to spells for low discipline ("hydrosophist low, damage is reduced") and with lone wolf, you only need to burn "one" point in them to get access to the useful stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom