Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
You were able to turn off the rock, paper, scissors in the Definitive edition or whatever they called it (It's free if you have DOS). The conversation just went with your choice of dialogue. I think they may have also patched that to the standard version at some point but I can't quite remember.

I agree that it should simply not have existed when playing solo

JasonNH

Augur
Fair enough. I guess my issue with the first game was how the dialogue system worked since I played solo. Also, there was something about the art style that bothered me about the first game where this second one personally appeals to me from screenshots and footage. The Steam reviews for this game's EA is really making me want to put money on it as well.

Ah, yes. It's definitely different here. I've mostly been playing multiplayer where the design changes are obvious. There is no designated 'hero' anymore and everyone gets to choose their own way without a forced, artificial decision between players (like RPS). Some of that carries over into solo play but your party is made up of companions comprised of any of the origin stories you didn't select at character creation, so I think it ends up more traditional with you making decisions and your companions having their own scripted reactions to them. You can still choose to have your companions initiate conversations, but I think their dialogue options are limited compared to what they would be if you were playing that origin story yourself.

biggestboss

Liturgist
I ended up buying the game because I really like what I see in player footage on Youtube. I'm gonna just play without reading anything about character builds, because doing research on min-max best builds was another reason I couldn't get into the first game (probably made worse in that game because you had to make 2 characters instead of just one).

biggestboss

Liturgist
Alright, so I've played a bit to get my bearings and now I'm starting to plan a new character build. It's kind of frustrating though due to how restrictive character building feels because you are incentivized to stack either magic or physical damage on a team due to the Mass Effect-esque barrier/armor stuff. Anyone have any goto builds for an offensive caster at the moment?

Rev

Arcane
When the fuck is this game coming out? The Early Access was good but I want the final version.

Rev

Arcane
Yeah, I know that but I was hoping you could use your Newsbot powers to give me something a bit more precise as a release date. :M

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, I know that but I was hoping you could use your Newsbot powers to give me something a bit more precise as a release date. :M

No clue. A while back somebody said it would be Q2, but that seems unlikely to me now. Maybe they'll try to aim for summer like the first game did?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Chris' character isn't even in yet. I very much doubt it's Q2, maybe not even Q3.

JasonNH

Augur

No one can know until Swen knows, and he himself doesn't know yet. At PAX East he said this year and 'probably' not December.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Hmm, maybe july or august? They did it it with the first game ( 'cause lack of money) and it turned out good for them. So, maybe they will hold this tradition ... or somebody should ask how much money they have, then we could calculate the release date better :D.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Summer releases are the greatest and more video games should do that. 2014 was one of my favorite summers in the past few years because I was able to play D:OS every day after work.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Summer releases are the greatest for people with all-year availability of disposable income, i.e. most of the First World. So, yeah, maybe they should do that. I know that AAA releases sell more around holidays (obviously), but I don't know if that applies to somewhat niche games like D:OS2. Not to mention that it's a somewhat kickstarted title.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Summer releases are the greatest and more video games should do that. 2014 was one of my favorite summers in the past few years because I was able to play D:OS every day after work.

Indeed. Divinity 2 was also a summer game. And the funny thing is, they would be the biggest game in the time period. So let's hope for summer and a lot of sales. And Divinity 3 in 2020. With Orcs and Imps as player races.

Aenra

And Divinity 3 in 2020

While i get the sentiment, i am hoping for some change. No more divinity please.. be it literally or even thematically.
Whatever its charms and they have been many, i think (just me) that you can only push the same style (in combat, in humor, in setting, in lore) so much. In the end it's only gonna bite you in the ass.

A 'new' thing would make me very excited and curious, i'd be wondering, anticipating (wouldn't with Divinity 900278). Haven't had that feeling from Larian, kinda nice if i did.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
While i get the sentiment, i am hoping for some change. No more divinity please.. be it literally or even thematically.
Whatever its charms and they have been many, i think (just me) that you can only push the same style (in combat, in humor, in setting, in lore) so much. In the end it's only gonna bite you in the ass.

A 'new' thing would make me very excited and curious, i'd be wondering, anticipating (wouldn't with Divinity 900278). Haven't had that feeling from Larian, kinda nice if i did.

Indeed, something would be nice. That's why I hope that they will end it with Divinity 3 and then try something new. But I want to see this third part happen, so we may finally know how it ends (Original Sin 2, will be more of an middle game, I think. With all the exposition you need for a third game).

JasonNH

Augur
I may have been hallucinating or misreading him, but I got the feeling from Swen at Pax East that their next title may indeed be something of a different genre or IP.

Aenra

I may have been hallucinating or misreading him, but I got the feeling from Swen at Pax East that their next title may indeed be something of a different genre or IP.

Could be, he ain't stupid and he ain't new to this either. Besides, even -if- they have another Divinity in the works, that's still just one out of three future games they're currently working on. So chances are you're right :)

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'd like Larian to hire Chris Avellone as creative director and make a story-focused RPG.

While I don't mind story RPG's, the best asset D:OS has is the combat engine. Would be a shame to not use it to its full potential. Given the choice I'd rather a typical cheesy Larian plot coupled with great combat than a story fag game without. Can use any other engine for that.

Rev

Arcane

Some time ago Swen said that they had other projects in the works, and that they would explore other settings and ideas, iirc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom