Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Infinitron, please, do comment. your knowledge of RPGs is such an asset, we value everything you post. especially news of kickstarter updates of noname turn based strategy games on an RPG site.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Infinitron, please, do comment. your knowledge of RPGs is such an asset, we value everything you post. especially news of kickstarter updates of noname turn based strategy games on an RPG site.

Then why don't you offer to do news posts if you think you can do it better?

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Hey, hey, hey, I shit on Inshillitron all the time, but don't you rag on his news updates and shit. Those are actually really appreciated.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Hey, hey, hey, I shit on Inshillitron all the time, but don't you rag on his news updates and shit. Those are actually really appreciated.
to be fair, i haven't seen the type of news i mentioned last time i looked, i just remember thinking "what is this shilling shit" too often.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
though the news are still full of mainstream and hipster shit while true attempts at rpgs like dungeons of chaos are completely ignored.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
though the news are still full of mainstream and hipster shit while true attempts at rpgs like dungeons of chaos are completely ignored.

Then bring it to the attention of Infinitron rather than expecting him to psychically discern what the latest RPG that you're following that nobody else knows about is.

Reapa

Doom Preacher

Then bring it to the attention of Infinitron rather than expecting him to psychically discern what the latest RPG that you're following that nobody else knows about is.
i listed the game on my list thread that was stickied by a mod and unstickied by another. i don't have the patience to solve all codex problems.

DraQ

Arcane
1. the most obvious difference between d&d and all this new wave shit in terms of itemization is the simplicity of weapon upgrades in general. a +1 weapon will be a clear upgrade from any normal one. no maybe, no random foggy percentages, no numbers and/or stats bloat, no bullshit.
No, fuck off. "Whatever has the most pluses" is probably the laziest and most retarded thing to ever be inherited from PnP RPGs. It's inexcusably shit and no one, or at least no one worth listening to, or at least remotely sane, would want it back. Your straightforward itemization is fucking cancer.

so what the fuck happened??? how and why do we go from simple straightforward itemization to random shit with either huge numbers bloat and/or cosmetic differences between 2 weapons of the same type like 5-2423 dmg vs 224-2143 dmg? did i win? is this an upgrade? should i alt tab to my calculator? is it necessary for me to not know at first glance what is and isn't an upgrade to enjoy your shitty game?
Learn to fucking basic math? If you can't perform this sort of basic arithmetic in your head in about the time it would take you to find/alt tab to calculator, then you're fucking defective and have no place saying what should and should not be in an RPG.

That said, two points about itemization:
  • PnP dice notation was a good thing as it described not only the range but also the distribution. 1Danything is flat, nDsomething is more and more weighted towards the average the larger n becomes. In a cRPG you could still use it without being restricted by physically available dice shapes (and have D7, for instance) and still reap its benefits.
  • DOS2 itemization is interesting in that it is composed of two disjoint parts:
    • Randomization and modifiers which is actually decent - you even have some semi-unique names for highly-coloured generic items, good selection of mods and generator spitting out diverse enough assortment of stuff to let you consider your options instead of wanking to incrementation. Also, randomized items are good as they prevent some degree of playing by wiki or own memory.
    • Bloat which is indeed quite hideous. However, it is applied as a generic scaling parameter to relevant item stats as well as things like HPs and so on. It means that inside every DOS2 item there is a LVL1 item wanting to come out, that modding for different power curve is barely harder than tweaking a few numbers and letting everything else follow, and that presumably it was done this way to allow minimally intrusive tweaking of progression curve during and after making the content, which was strikingly smart and sane decision by game development standards even if the end result chosen is, diplomatically speaking, less than optimal - at least now mods can fix it in the easiest and least intrusive manner imaginable short of it not being broken in the first place.

All in all it's a plus - parts that work work, parts that don't can be fixed easily.
c) skyrim fucked us.
How the fuck does Skyrim has anything to do with the kind of item generation that:
  • Was not present in Skyrim or any TES game.
  • Was actually inspired by Diablo which did it in 1996 and Diablo 2 which improved upon it in 2000
  • Was first used by Larian in 2002
  • Which is almost a decade earlier than Skyrim's 2011 release date
?

It's probably too late for it to be of any help, but please stop snacking on lead paint chips.

2. crafting was once, a long time ago, in a very different game, something special. you went to a tanner with some human skin a made a piece of armor only the most vile people would want to wear. you recognized the potential of tough enemies' scales or chitin to make some special armor that was either lighter and/or harder to penetrate. you found pieces of renowned gear and put them together to wield the power that made other adventurers famous in the past.

when did we start going through people's garbage to gather smelly fish and used underwear? or "craft" sticks out of logs?

let's go over possible reasons for this shit:
fuck that, it's point c) all over again!
And given that Skyrim only introduced rather rudimentary "mine some ore then craft shit" crafting mechanics and beyond that all it had was the alchemy and enchantment system that have been always present in TES and if anything, underwent reduction and simplification (especially enchantment) compared to Daggerfall.

Again, there is only one reasonable conclusion:
You are clearly delusional and inexplicably butthurt - whether it is more about Larian or Bethesda is not entirely clear.
+M

(And Larian's Divinity 2 was one of the few games where full VA was definitely worth it and contributed a lot to the game's quality - in a positive sense too).

there doesn't seem to be a reason for the botched initiative mechanic, but looking at the trend it's probably also tied to the voice overs.
I... what?
:prosper:

And the only time I benefited from dumpster diving in DOS2 was when I was still in the *incarcerated* murderhobo phase where stone-on-a-stick was major upgrade over bare-fucking-hands and finding *any* boots or pants through which your ass didn't show conferred massive protection boost.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
1. the most obvious difference between d&d and all this new wave shit in terms of itemization is the simplicity of weapon upgrades in general. a +1 weapon will be a clear upgrade from any normal one. no maybe, no random foggy percentages, no numbers and/or stats bloat, no bullshit.
No, fuck off. "Whatever has the most pluses" is probably the laziest and most retarded thing to ever be inherited from PnP RPGs. It's inexcusably shit and no one, or at least no one worth listening to, or at least remotely sane, would want it back. Your straightforward itemization is fucking cancer.

so what the fuck happened??? how and why do we go from simple straightforward itemization to random shit with either huge numbers bloat and/or cosmetic differences between 2 weapons of the same type like 5-2423 dmg vs 224-2143 dmg? did i win? is this an upgrade? should i alt tab to my calculator? is it necessary for me to not know at first glance what is and isn't an upgrade to enjoy your shitty game?
Learn to fucking basic math? If you can't perform this sort of basic arithmetic in your head in about the time it would take you to find/alt tab to calculator, then you're fucking defective and have no place saying what should and should not be in an RPG.

• PnP dice notation was a good thing as it described not only the range but also the distribution. 1Danything is flat, nDsomething is more and more weighted towards the average the larger n becomes. In a cRPG you could still use it without being restricted by physically available dice shapes (and have D7, for instance) and still reap its benefits.
    • Randomization and modifiers which is actually decent - you even have some semi-unique names for highly-coloured generic items, good selection of mods and generator spitting out diverse enough assortment of stuff to let you consider your options instead of wanking to incrementation. Also, randomized items are good as they prevent some degree of playing by wiki or own memory.
    • Bloat which is indeed quite hideous. However, it is applied as a generic scaling parameter to relevant item stats as well as things like HPs and so on. It means that inside every DOS2 item there is a LVL1 item wanting to come out, that modding for different power curve is barely harder than tweaking a few numbers and letting everything else follow, and that presumably it was done this way to allow minimally intrusive tweaking of progression curve during and after making the content, which was strikingly smart and sane decision by game development standards even if the end result chosen is, diplomatically speaking, less than optimal - at least now mods can fix it in the easiest and least intrusive manner imaginable short of it not being broken in the first place.

All in all it's a plus - parts that work work, parts that don't can be fixed easily.
c) skyrim fucked us.
How the fuck does Skyrim has anything to do with the kind of item generation that:
  • Was actually inspired by Diablo which did it in 1996 and Diablo 2 which improved upon it in 2000
?

It's probably too late for it to be of any help, but please stop snacking on lead paint chips.

2. crafting was once, a long time ago, in a very different game, something special. you went to a tanner with some human skin a made a piece of armor only the most vile people would want to wear. you recognized the potential of tough enemies' scales or chitin to make some special armor that was either lighter and/or harder to penetrate. you found pieces of renowned gear and put them together to wield the power that made other adventurers famous in the past.

when did we start going through people's garbage to gather smelly fish and used underwear? or "craft" sticks out of logs?

And given that Skyrim only introduced rather rudimentary "mine some ore then craft shit" crafting mechanics and beyond that all it had was the alchemy and enchantment system that have been always present in TES and if anything, underwent reduction and simplification (especially enchantment) compared to Daggerfall.

You are clearly delusional and inexplicably butthurt - whether it is more about Larian or Bethesda is not entirely clear.
+M

(And Larian's Divinity 2 was one of the few games where full VA was definitely worth it and contributed a lot to the game's quality - in a positive sense too).

there doesn't seem to be a reason for the botched initiative mechanic, but looking at the trend it's probably also tied to the voice overs.
I... what?

And the only time I benefited from dumpster diving in DOS2 was when I was still in the *incarcerated* murderhobo phase where stone-on-a-stick was major upgrade over bare-fucking-hands and finding *any* boots or pants through which your ass didn't show conferred massive protection boost.
congratulations, you've grown senile.

DraQ

Arcane
From the look of it your Dungeons of Chaos IS hipster shit.
Now, I may be wrong, I haven't and won't dedicate more time budget to it than it took to flip through the screenshots, but it has the telltale look of "LOL so retro! XDXD" or "I was locked up in an asylum from early '80s 'till now" - don't get me wrong, but it's 20 fucking 17, even when you don't have the budget for AAAAAAAAA+ visuals, you can still go for some aesthetically pleasing, even if heavily stylized visuals, including nice pixel art (remember the times when limitations actually fostered creativity instead of making you ape shit that was already old 20 years ago?), seems confined to completely flat 2D plane (mechanically) and, ironically, does seem to include the same kind of awful bloat you (rightfully) accuse DOS2 of (as evidenced by screenshots where PC HP range can go from tens to thousands).

Now, I may not be speaking for everyone here, but for me the problem with modern games has never been that they are not the same as the old ones. Old games were shit. The thing is that they were ambitious, fall off the high horse, do the impossible or die trying, "wish you could see what we could do if we had MEGABYTES of memory and TENS of MEGAHERTZ at our disposal" kind of shit. The shit that made you pumped for what future would bring because you knew the future was going to be fucking glorious. And the thing with modern games is that they mostly ruined it by not improving what was to be improved, and by inventing problems where there previously, with much smaller teams and primitive technology, there were none.
Oh and by enshrining the actually crappy vestiges of old design - those borne from limitations, many not even present in this medium but ported from, for example, PnP RPGs, like HPs - and making a cargo cult from them. And then cargo cults of cargo cults of cargo cults, diluted and distorted into unrecognizability from the originals that shouldn't even be venerated in the first place - or should but in different ways and for completely different reasons.

Are you the author? Would explain the butthurt.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
From the look of it your Dungeons of Chaos IS hipster shit.
Now, I may be wrong, I haven't and won't dedicate more time budget to it than it took to flip through the screenshots, but it has the telltale look of "LOL so retro! XDXD" or "I was locked up in an asylum from early '80s 'till now" - don't get me wrong, but it's 20 fucking 17, even when you don't have the budget for AAAAAAAAA+ visuals, you can still go for some aesthetically pleasing, even if heavily stylized visuals, including nice pixel art (remember the times when limitations actually fostered creativity instead of making you ape shit that was already old 20 years ago?), seems confined to completely flat 2D plane (mechanically) and, ironically, does seem to include the same kind of awful bloat you (rightfully) accuse DOS2 of (as evidenced by screenshots where PC HP range can go from tens to thousands).

Now, I may not be speaking for everyone here, but for me the problem with modern games has never been that they are not the same as the old ones. Old games were shit. The thing is that they were ambitious, fall off the high horse, do the impossible or die trying, "wish you could see what we could do if we had MEGABYTES of memory and TENS of MEGAHERTZ at our disposal" kind of shit. The shit that made you pumped for what future would bring because you knew the future was going to be fucking glorious. And the thing with modern games is that they mostly ruined it by not improving what was to be improved, and by inventing problems where there previously, with much smaller teams and primitive technology, there were none.
Oh and by enshrining the actually crappy vestiges of old design - those borne from limitations, many not even present in this medium but ported from, for example, PnP RPGs, like HPs - and making a cargo cult from them. And then cargo cults of cargo cults of cargo cults, diluted and distorted into unrecognizability from the originals that shouldn't even be venerated in the first place - or should but in different ways and for completely different reasons.

Are you the author? Would explain the butthurt.

c) skyrim fucked us.
?

+M

I... what?

congratulations, you've grown senile.

Xeon

Augur
So if you kill the origin NPCs on the starting ship and steal everything from them, will they still remember you killing them?

At 12:00 Ifan is naked and fighting alongside you.

Ausdoerrt

Augur
:salute: to DraQ for the rant. I was gonna write another long-ass post, but you basically said it all. Way to bring some destructive sanity to this inane discussion :brodex:

And with this, I'm pretty much out of this talk. If anyone wants to play hipster basement studio RPGs that look like 80's arse and probably play like it too, feel free, but please don't pretend like this should be the standard. I like my 2017 RPGs with at least a modicum of creativity and self-respect, thankyouverymuch

:rpgcodex:

Xeon

Augur
Does Eating Corpse give any hints or secrets to quests or hidden treasures or is it just flavor text and mainly give abilities and recipes I think?

Like the ability but Male Elves look gay.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I finally finished the damn game
It only took me 265 hours

ELEX I'll play... forever

Reapa

Doom Preacher
:salute: to DraQ for the rant. I was gonna write another long-ass post, but you basically said it all. Way to bring some destructive sanity to this inane discussion :brodex:

And with this, I'm pretty much out of this talk. If anyone wants to play hipster basement studio RPGs that look like 80's arse and probably play like it too, feel free, but please don't pretend like this should be the standard. I like my 2017 RPGs with at least a modicum of creativity and self-respect, thankyouverymuch

great display of both graphics whoring and mainstream fanboyism.

DraQ

Arcane

great display of both graphics whoring
Yeah, I'm fucking graphicswhoring like it's 1989.

Bottom line is that it's fucking 2017 and I feel fully entitled to graphics at least as attractive as high-end c64 game. If one guy could do it in a garage back then, then one guy can do as much now, with much more external resources, tools, immeasurably superior technology, no need to worry about wasting bytes or cycles and ability to contract a semi-decent but severely malnourished deviantartist for a loaf of bread or two. Failing that, you can at least make your graphics stylistically novel and fitting your game, or be honest and forgo the graphics altogether - if you do something truly worthwhile, like DF or a good text adventure, it will still make enough of a name for it.
And why graphics? Because with a few screenshots you can make the case for giving your game a slight benefit of doubt and maybe considering investigating it further (maybe even reading the blurb you wrote for it!) in about a minute or so of my time I am willing to give you up front.

Failed to do so? Tough fucking luck. If I ever get craving for firing up something that looks like it was made in 1980, I will fucking launch something that was made in 1980, NOT its almost four decades late wannabe clone.
The games should be moving forward and I want my motherfucking jetpack and my overdue flying car already, godfuckingdammit.
Four decades of standing still is not any improvement over moving in the wrong direction half of that time.

and mainstream fanboyism.
Hipstard.
+M

Reapa

Doom Preacher

great display of both graphics whoring
Yeah, I'm fucking graphicswhoring like it's 1989.

Bottom line is that it's fucking 2017 and I feel fully entitled to graphics at least as attractive as high-end c64 game. If one guy could do it in a garage back then, then one guy can do as much now, with much more external resources, tools, immeasurably superior technology, no need to worry about wasting bytes or cycles and ability to contract a semi-decent but severely malnourished deviantartist for a loaf of bread or two. Failing that, you can at least make your graphics stylistically novel and fitting your game, or be honest and forgo the graphics altogether - if you do something truly worthwhile, like DF or a good text adventure, it will still make enough of a name for it.
And why graphics? Because with a few screenshots you can make the case for giving your game a slight benefit of doubt and maybe considering investigating it further (maybe even reading the blurb you wrote for it!) in about a minute or so of my time I am willing to give you up front.

Failed to do so? Tough fucking luck. If I ever get craving for firing up something that looks like it was made in 1980, I will fucking launch something that was made in 1980, NOT its almost four decades late wannabe clone.
The games should be moving forward and I want my motherfucking jetpack and my overdue flying car already, godfuckingdammit.
Four decades of standing still is not any improvement over moving in the wrong direction half of that time.

and mainstream fanboyism.
Hipstard.
+M
you're not entitled to anything. you're senile. next thing you'll want will be voice overs. have fun with your entitlement.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom