Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Vote is here: http://thegameawards.com/awards/#best-role-playing-game

Requires you to link your Facebook accoumt

At least their definition of RPG is vaguely decent, rather than the old "RPG means role-playing game; any game where you get immersed in a role is an RPG; ergo, Bioshock must be an RPG" canard that I've seen in many other places. That might be because RPG fans will complain though; though I doubt their voices would've been very important. Horizon: Zero Dawn is interestingly listed as an action-adventure game rather than an RPG; for those who've played it, do you think it meets their definition of an RPG ("(a) game designed with rich player character customization and progression, including massively multiplayer experiences")?

DraQ

Arcane
In regard to atmosphere I like my games to take themselves a bit more seriously and I get the feeling the game is a parody of fantasy cRPG and it just can't suck me in which I already expected since that was my experience with DOS I too, but at least there I enjoyed the combat.

So since I don't enjoy combat nor the atmosphere I think I am done with it... oh well it was 29$ wasted, it could have been worst.
DOS2 is, by far, the most serious game Larian has made (at least since Divinity 2, DD and BD are still on my backlog) and much better overall than DOS1 (which was effectively mostly a proof of concept for some cool mechanics).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
(at least since Divinity 2, DD and BD are still on my backlog)

uh yeah what

I could have sworn you were a big Larian fanboy around here and you haven't played any of their games until Dragon Commander/D:OS? Maybe I got you mixed up with someone else.

Edit: Hours later I realized that you used a comma where a semicolon would have been more appropriate. Never mind, never mind.

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane
(at least since Divinity 2, DD and BD are still on my backlog)

uh yeah what

I could have sworn you were a big Larian fanboy around here and you haven't played any of their games until Dragon Commander/D:OS? Maybe I got you mixed up with someone else.

Edit: Hours later I realized that you used a comma where a semicolon would have been more appropriate. Never mind, never mind.
I have started with Divinity 2, which, all in all was supremely fun. I have only missed DD and BD back in the day.

Also, I'm not really fanboy, I merely defend stuff I like if attacked for stupid reasons (or even stuff I don't like if reasons are particularly moronic), and will similarly attack stuff that is praised for stupid reasons.
I am keenly aware of problems with games I like, while fanboyism generally implies some degree of delusion.

Ausdoerrt

Augur
The game looks prettier but it is also more difficult to distinguish surfaces in combat and whether you will or not will step on them, in general combat is more confusing and hectic and well I am already tired of spell casting crocodiles and I haven't even finished the 1st chapter.
If you hover over a surface, it'll tell you what you're looking at.

I have started with Divinity 2, which, all in all was supremely fun. I have only missed DD and BD back in the day.
It was also extremely flawed at release, until the expansion and some major patching occurred.

You should give DD a chance, it's a decent Diablo clone with a story that ties in nicely to DOS2.

Also, I'm not really fanboy, I merely defend stuff I like if attacked for stupid reasons (or even stuff I don't like if reasons are particularly moronic), and will similarly attack stuff that is praised for stupid reasons.
I am keenly aware of problems with games I like, while fanboyism generally implies some degree of delusion.
There's nothing shameful about admitting that, even with all their flaws, Larian is the saviour of RPG :smug:

DraQ

Arcane
Well, the entire Divinity series, apart from DC, is generally some variant of Diablo meets Ultima meets fantasy pastiche.

It may be TB party based Diablo with tactics or twitchy TPP Diablo with flying and jumping puzzles.

Overall I am happy with DOS2 and even pleasantly surprised by some aspects, even if some others are just head-scratchingly wrong.

GloomFrost

Arcane
I managed to enjoy DOS I until like 70% of the game before I got bored with it.

Last week I was on Peru and while bored I browsed GOG and for some reason DOS II was only 29$ or so while there, so I thought that if I played it the same I played DOS I it was worth a try, after all 29$ is like half of what it cost in the UNindependent Republic of Catalonia... how wrong I was. The game looks prettier but it is also more difficult to distinguish surfaces in combat and whether you will or not will step on them, in general combat is more confusing and hectic and well I am already tired of spell casting crocodiles and I haven't even finished the 1st chapter.

In regard to atmosphere I like my games to take themselves a bit more seriously and I get the feeling the game is a parody of fantasy cRPG and it just can't suck me in which I already expected since that was my experience with DOS I too, but at least there I enjoyed the combat.

So since I don't enjoy combat nor the atmosphere I think I am done with it... oh well it was 29$ wasted, it could have been worst.
How long have you played it for. The "introduction" alone is like 15-20h. Its a massive game. And it gets better later on.

Ivan

Arcane
Finally got the time for this. So if I'm looking for a solid challenge that encourages smart play, classic or tactician?

I played the original on Hard and enjoyed the challenge bump from "normal" (never played the remastered version)

Murk

Arcane
Finally got the time for this. So if I'm looking for a solid challenge that encourages smart play, classic or tactician?

I played the original on Hard and enjoyed the challenge bump from "normal" (never played the remastered version)

Tactician, despite the 'bloat' it's the better option.

Classic is too easy IMO.

Ivan

Arcane
Also, can someone explain what's gained/lost by choosing a Custom Char vs what I understand to be Companions? Won't I still be able to experience every companion's story/quest if I decide not to play as one of them?

Does each "origin" have unique content locked away? how much vs going custom? thanks

Murk

Arcane
All of the unique chars can be recruited as companions (or 3 of them, for that matter).

In some cases, you learn more about the unique chars if they are a companion. You do get some options in dialogs and quests if you play as one of the unique chars. To answer your question though, nothing HUGE is lost, and you can still experience like 95% if not 100% of their backgrounds by taking them as companions.

Sjukob

Arcane
To avoid retardation take lone wolf for your custom character, pick up Beast as a companion and make sure you get lone wolf talent for him as soon as possible, screw everyone else.

Your custom character should preferably be human 2h warrior and Beast as a marksman will be a fine supplement for him. Max warfare ASAP, take some necromancy for healing , put a few points in metamorph for utility , for Beast you should also raise huntsman skill to be able to use archery skills and also get additional damage from highground. Everything else is preference.

Perform a victory dance as you are now a nigh immortal amazing duo that doesn't take anyone's shit and is capable of annihilating the universe with a single fart.

And remember
4cd959fe6500853d4bd589d0caa62a2e64a321a884249bb042e45c56b08464c4.jpg

Last edited:

Ivan

Arcane
Booted the game, chose the performer girl, journal is already bonkers. The text all conflates and is illegible. lol guess I'll wait for some more patches.

DraQ

Arcane

Tactician is challenging, but bloaty, Classic is going to be a bit on the easy side.
Pick your poison.

Elex

Arbiter
for now it’s not painfull, i found the messy journal bug for now.

i just prentend the armor mechanic don’t exist.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom