Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't know, it starts sounding like speculation to me. Also, 51% of the players in that poll either hate it, prefer D:OS1 or want to see a major overhaul, so democracy, yay??

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I don't know, it starts sounding like speculation to me. Also, 51% of the players in that poll either hate it, prefer D:OS1 or want to see a major overhaul, so democracy, yay??
Josh Sawyer has also been fighting against extreme randomization for similar reasons, which is why Pillars of Eternity has grazes (it originally wasn't going to have missing at all, but the grognards changed his mind by pointing out that it would remove their preferred playstyle of being a dodgy character).

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Probabilities aren't "extreme randomization", they are always the same in the same circumstances. If the system is done well you can game them to your advantage.

imweasel

51% of the players in that poll either hate it, prefer D:OS1 or want to see a major overhaul, so democracy, yay??
Who cares what D:OS fans think when you're chasing Diablo 3 big bux?

Josh Sawyer has also been fighting against extreme randomization
1. Market game as spiritual successor to the Infinity Engine games

2. Shit all over systems in IE games ("degenerative gameplay")

3. IGN loves the game

rating_sawyer.gif

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Even if we had one I doubt he'd reply with "Oh yeah, everyone hated this system but we went with it anyway."

Oh I'm sure that was never the case. The more likely case would be that most people had no strong opinion. By "power trip", I didn't mean that Swen allowed somebody to force a system on people that didn't like it. I just meant that somebody may have just been allowed to go with their gut with no deep analysis.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The more likely case would be that most people had no strong opinion.

On RPG forums???? :whatho:

Maybe? I don't know the culture on the Larian forums. If it was just hiver and a handful of other reviled grognards arguing against a horde of smiley face fanboys...hell, I could see Swen deciding to always do the opposite of whatever hiver wants on principle. :lol:

imweasel

female (male)
We like to call them trannies around these parts.

They locked a thread containing detailed feedback from Luckmann after 5 pages for "having too much drama".

This comment from Hiver pretty much sums up what we can expect from nu-Larian in the future.

"Good post, but every single of those issues were criticized during Ea (except maybe the initiative) and nothing was achieved. That was when there was time and opportunity to change stuff before the game came out."

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Didn't play MP, so don't know if this was an oversight via co-op focused design, but inventory management was obscene. Continual flood of "epic l00t" in this game is one thing that really upped the burnout 2/3 of the way through. Equipment upgrades shouldn't be scarce, but infrequent enough and selectively placed to make progression more satisfying overall. I don't like seeing WoW every time I open inv UI - Divnine Divinty's Ultima 7 system was better. Fuck off with this MMO shit in CRPGs, please.

EDIT: Other than that, C&C is outstanding - enjoyed experience thusfar.

Last edited:

Elex

Arbiter
Didn't play MP, so don't know if this was an oversight via co-op focused design, but inventory management was obscene. Continual flood of "epic l00t" in this game is one thing that really upped the burnout 2/3 of the way through. Equipment upgrades shouldn't be scarce, but infrequent enough and selectively placed to make progression more satisfying overall. I don't like seeing WoW every time I open inv UI - Divnine Divinty's Ultima 7 system was better. Fuck off with this MMO shit in CRPGs, please.
this is exactly how i feel now.

i am around lvl 15 in driftwood still miss one or two areas it feel like a mess.

it’s an open map but i need to find the xp so i can go in higher level sub area.

my inventory is paifull to look at, it’s full of “stuff that can be usefull later”

i have books and notes, with hint or potential quest item.

but when i find an enigma i can’t even know where is the note with the hint and i google it the note.

i have some character with low level items and other with lvl 16 epic loot, and loot scale a lot, each level matter.

i an supposed to buy from merchant? but why? if i level up one or two times the stuff i buy become pointless.

i remember the same feeling with the first game but only almost at the end so it was acceptable.

also i hate the fight with waves of voidwoken

Murk

Arcane
Game was p good but not great, worth the price tag for the hours of enjoyment it gave me.

OS 1 was a better game and had better crafting, OS 2 has more character types, spells/skills/abilities, and a better UI. Armor system is bad but not unplayable, does limit what kind of build you can actually use though (ironic since the greater list of skills and abilities makes for more variety in build possibilities... that then functionally get bottle-necked by the need to damage stack).

Overall, 7/10. Solid enjoyment but nothing revolutionary, and hopefully OS 3 or whatever next Larian game comes learns from the mistakes of OS 2 and changes them instead of doubling down.

For comparison, I'd give OS 1 an 8.5/10.

imweasel

The 2 million sold copies of D:OS is what they have to beat. If it doesn't happen then maybe Swen will see the errors of his ways.

Cross

Arcane
I am sitting around chapter 4 and just gave up for the last few weeks. Simply cause I can't stand the random cheating bullshit fights.

My characters are fine, my builds are fine, but when the AI can shoot from the ground up through rocks and trees and get a critical and one hit kill my guys. I break keyboards.

If I was to the same action I wouldn't be allowed it, they always know all my weakness right away, they hit so hard and fast at range. The only way to really get past some of the tougher fights is by cheating, that is finding where the game triggers are and teleportation in prior or out just after the event and controlling the fight elsewhere.

I would be fine if the fights were based on something then other RNG that favors the CPU and gives them straight out cheats.

*spoiler*

The battle on the lady luck is just a fucking nightmare and I had to drop the difficulty to even get past it, as there was no way I could hold everyone and take all that AOE damage. Plus it spit my group and murdered them.

I am now just not playing cause I know there is gonna be another shitty cheap ass stupid bullshit fight, or traps, or some shit that gonna piss me off. And that isn't worth it

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Larian Advent Calendar is back: http://divinity.game/en/mars

Meet our heroes! These adventurers start their Gamemaster Mode quest tomorrow as part of our Larian Advent Calendar!

So this is how it works: In each comic, there will be an extra festive surprise - a three-digit code hidden somewhere in the picture that'll unlock exclusive digital Divinity swag! All you have to do is find each day's three digit code, then click on the link below the daily image to unlock your prizes (free hint: sometimes, it proves to be helpful to zoom in on the image).

Ready? Then give it a shot! Good luck!

INTRODUCTION%20Num.jpg

Found it? Awesome! Click HERE to claim your reward, and use the code to unlock the file:

We hope you like it!

We've got new goodies for you every day until the 25th December, but each download is only available for 24 hours. Remember to check back again tomorrow, because once we hit midnight (Pacific Time) today's reward is gone forever!

Also, our friends at RAZER threw in some cool presents! We'll be raffling these off on random days over the next few weeks, so watch out for those competitions on Facebook and Twitter.

Remember, this is a Larian puzzle.

Right end of the underline below "THE HEROES"

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Second day: http://divinity.game/en/Jade

Finally, the journey is about to start! So let´s roll the dices!

So this is how it works: In each comic, there will be an extra festive surprise - a three-digit code hidden somewhere in the picture that'll unlock exclusive digital Divinity swag! All you have to do is find each day's three digit code, then click on the link below the daily image to unlock your prizes.

Short notice: The page is optimized for PC, so it might be hard to find on mobiles, as it helps to zoom in sometimes!

Ready? Good hunting!

COMIC%201.jpg

Successful? Then click HERE to claim your reward, and use the code to unlock the file.

We hope you like it!

IMPORTANT NOTE: If Google is telling you that you can´t download the file, it is possible to make a copy and download it from your own drive. We are working on this issue.

We've got new goodies for you every day until the 25th December, but each download is only available for 24 hours. Remember to check back again tomorrow, because once we hit midnight (Pacific Time) today's reward is gone forever!

Also, our friends at RAZER threw in some cool presents! We'll be raffling these off on random days over the next few weeks, so watch out for those competitions on Facebook and Twitter.

Are you new to the comic? You can find the whole story so far HERE.

h6doEit.png

Well I had to cheat use Source power to figure it out.

808. The numbers are visible in source code of the form page. :M

Still don't know where the damn numbers are.

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Well its on the chest (when it fall from the sky)

Edit: I noticed its not on the picture linked here, but if you go to their website you will see the code at said location.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom