Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
It doesn't work that way. You want me to start a musicological analysis that nobody outside of the field is going to understand?

This is the fucking Kodex. Go full autism and shitpost away, your e-penis will grow noticeably and be admired by all.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
this is one of the most autismo discussions about music I've ever read
trained historian
Which field specifically, if I may ask?
South East European Studies.

How is that progress? I still am saying that it is barren from a technical standpoint and will fail in an academic exam. I even stated that it was an academic exam then, lol.
I meant that in ironic sense. You used to state your opinions and estimations as facts, now you claim you are not doing it. The argument "it's objectively bad, because that's my view, which is the academic view, and you can't argue with it because you're not qualified" seems to have given some ground.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
We are going in quite deep territories, but I'm pretty confident that someone who is trained in a field is more competent in that field than someone who isn't. Is that controversial? Who are you going to ask for medical advice - the local shopkeeper or a doctor? Why do you think the humanities are different?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
We are going in quite deep territories, but I'm pretty confident that someone who is trained in a field is more competent in that field than someone who isn't. Is that controversial? Who are going to ask for medical advice - the local shopkeeper or a doctor? Why do you think the humanities are different?
The analogy between doctors and humanities academics is a weak one, I guess I don't need to explain why.

If my problem is serious, I would be respectively more careful in choosing the doctor with more practice and successful treatments over the doctor with the more academic titles ;)

Lacrymas

Arcane
You should explain why because I don't understand it. I'm in the humanities and I know what they are about, so I can't disassociate myself from my training. I know it sounds snobbish, but if you are not trained in a sphere then you simply don't understand what is being talked about and are ignorant in the methods, goals and results. That's not an indictment, I myself know that I'm ignorant in a lot of spheres, nobody can be knowledgeable in everything.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
We are going in quite deep territories, but I'm pretty confident that someone who is trained in a field is more competent in that field than someone who isn't. Is that controversial? Who are you going to ask for medical advice - the local shopkeeper or a doctor? Why do you think the humanities are different?

I'm confused, does that mean our own Lacrymas has a bigger musicpenis than the guy who did the soundtrack, or are you talking about Awesomebutton, who has already yielded?

You've already stated some things, so should the girth of your musical organ (lollercakez) not be demonstrably bigger than the composer guy's, why don't you put yourself in his shoes for a second and try to convey to us why he may have deliberately chosen to do things this way? You know, just as a mental exercise.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I have explained why he does it the way he does it - it doesn't need to be any different for people to lap it up. This is standard practice within the film and video game composing sphere.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
i've seen doctors of humanities who were as clueless as a sack of potato, and whose contribution to 'science' that granted them their doctorates were endless piles of questionnaires given to students and lists of whatever things

being a doctor of humanities nowadays means completely fuck all, in fact most of the folks who stay at universities to pursue (((science careers))) are living mediocrities who could never, ever hope to achieve any sort of success doing honest work

Brancaleone

Liturgist
I remain indifferent to the "ooh, the academia says so!" attitude. I know it very well, and that's the same atittude as that of a shaman who aims to assert his authority by insisting he is the only one who can "speak to the Spirits".

Since next to everything in humanities is debatable and debated, the teacher needs this tactic to suppress attempts at argument, so he can finish his lecture in peace. I guess this attitude was practiced on you and made an impression on you long before you began practicing it on others, but it doesn't really work outside the sacred walls of the monastery, as I have found out from personal experience. :)
The attitude you describe is especially aggravating among the schmucks who manage, by circuitous means, to get let's say around PhD level, plunge into full delirium of omnipotence because they feel they've been elevated among the chosen ones, and spend the time trying to show the width of the (very much) alleged chasm between themselves and the unwashed plebs. Seen so many.

Lacrymas

Arcane
The divide between any sort of scientific institution and the general public has been criticized and noted by the post-modernists in the last century, I am aware of the general disconnect between the two.

Brancaleone

Liturgist
i've seen doctors of humanities who were as clueless as a sack of potato, and whose contribution to 'science' that granted them their doctorates were endless piles of questionnaires given to students and lists of whatever things
This sounds very much like the Sacred Trinity of Psychology, Sociology and Paedagogy.

Codex Year of the Donut

being a doctor of humanities nowadays means completely fuck all, in fact most of the folks who stay at universities to pursue (((science careers))) are living mediocrities who could never, ever hope to achieve any sort of success doing honest work
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scie...es-and-fewer-half-got-same-results-180956426/

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
I have explained why he does it the way he does it - it doesn't need to be any different for people to lap it up. This is standard practice within the film and video game composing sphere.

He has gaps of more than an octave within the voices of orchestra that create a "hole" in the sound, he only has 1 plan going on at the same time, instruments randomly go in and out of the plans, his voice-leading is non-existent, etc. etc. I'd need the score to show any specifics and explain why and how he should've done it differently.

shit son, I'm not seeing it.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Not seeing what? That it's standard practice? Or you don't see the problems? Do you see atoms and even smaller particles? Or gravity?

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Not seeing what? That it's standard practice? Or you don't see the problems? Do you see atoms and even smaller particles? Or gravity?

could have been a case of reading comprehension, I'm curious though, because you're either claiming he's following an exact formula that is 'the standard in the film and video game composing sphere', or you're still just throwing derisive shit around, which one is it?

Lacrymas

Arcane
It's not an exact formula per se, it's a method that doesn't need to be any different for people to gobble it up. As AwesomeButton explained, Bobby only gave Stoyanov a theme/melody/motif and then Stoyanov gave it to the orchestra in some fashion. What happens is that he comes up with some harmony (usually I, IV, V, VI chords in that order) to go along with the melody by playing it on a keyboard attached to a program like Logic, then designates which instruments will be playing the harmony and then exports the file into Sibelius or Finale to make it into an actual score for the parts. What this creates is the obvious gaps of more than an octave, the random entrances of instruments, the lack of logical following of a texture and the non-existent voice-leading because of that.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
It's not an exact formula per se, it's a method that doesn't need to be any different. As AwesomeButtons explained, Bobby only gave Stoyanov a theme/melody/motif and then Stoyanov gave it to the orchestra in some fashion. What happens is that he comes up with some harmony (usually I, IV, V, VI chords) to go along with the melody by playing it on a keyboard attached to a program like Logic, then designates which instruments will be playing the harmony and then exports the file into Sibelius or Finale to make it into an actual score for the parts.

and he's doing that and not something else that would be better because it's time/ cost effective/ technically easier and appeals to the lowest common denominator? Because I can't really buy your claim that people will 'lap it up', this is no Jeremy Soule soundtrack we're hearing here. If it's time/ cost effective, would it be a rather quick affair (without accounting for an artist's quirks), and we must assume the rest of the time he sat around twiddling his thumbs, or simply doing other jobs?

Lacrymas

Arcane
It's definitely easy and cost effective, I'm not sure how long it takes for a score this long, but 3 months of non-grueling work sounds about right. It does indeed appeal to the lowest common denominator, as is evident by the overall positive reception of the music and even comparisons with Kirill.

Grab the Codex by the pussy
To use an academic qualification as a honorific notion of some sort is a huge red flag, especially in humanities. But that applies to any area. If you think that the hard science camp is pure objective science championed by the best and the brightest, you are deluled. These camps are filled with studies that are impossible to replicate, downright frauds and delusional fads that waste an ungodly amount of taxpayers’ money. I personally knew dumb illiterate people working with "cutting edge" treatment of cancer, among other things. It's not a pretty picture.

The divide between any sort of scientific institution and the general public has been criticized and noted by the post-modernists in the last century, I am aware of the general disconnect between the two.
You mean those obscure charlatans that have no clue how to present an argument in canonical form? Those post-modernists?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss, have you actually read any post-modernists? Are you saying they are wrong in pointing out the divide between scientific institutions and the general public and there is no divide?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom