Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Lever beneath the castle on the swamp was dissapointing as fuck. It killed few people, yet when I touch it I get only short sentence about it being cursed and one turn debuff?
Such a let down. :decline:

Renevent

Cipher
I'll take a look later when I get home to double check, but I'm pretty sure I've had multiple friendlies get turns one right after the other and not a hard coded you / them / you / etc.

*edit*

Yeah, here's an image showing 3 friendly turns in a row:

fbqj3z0cfsh04cncuo9c.jpg

Grimnir

Novice
Tactician difficulty seems poorly balanced. Act 1 reminded me of the early game hell in DOS1, which I liked. Now, fights are taking longer due to stat bloat. When people complained about the difficulty dropping off past the 1st area in the previous game it wasn't a call to give everything massive amounts of armor and health. I played the EA and the only difference between classic and tactician seems to be the stats.

I'm glad respec is unlimited, because I wasted a lot of points in con and wits. Con gives pathetic amounts of hp and wits is probably bugged. My character and red prince have the same amount of wits, but he goes nearly last despite having much higher wits than every enemy.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
So the initiative system is hard-coded to always arrange the queue in a you / them / you / them / you / them series, with it being impossible to have 2 allies act one after another if the combatant numbers on both sides are equal.

HOW

IS

THAT

NOT

FUCKING

RETARDED

I don't underastand your anger, it''s very :littlemissfun:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I'll take a look later when I get home to double check, but I'm pretty sure I've had multiple friendlies get turns one right after the other and not you / them / you / etc.

I invite you to check these pics:

nB67zw.jpg

9NXNxg.jpg

SUlziw.jpg

ws9CL2.jpg

ALL of these initiative queues are arranged alternately.

The two last pics? When the fights were proceeding:

- the voidling in the swamp, which was last in the queue and behind prince, suddenly spiked up to #2 once all its buddies died.
- the zombie that is behind me in the witch cave fight suddenly started acting after beast once all the other trash died.

THE CONSPIRACY IS REAL

l0tePb.gif

Renevent

Cipher
I don't know what's going on for your game, but I am pretty positive I get multiple characters going in a row all the time, and it seems like there's other images that show similar all over the web. Maybe something to do with co-op (I think you said you are playing co-op?)...could be that it's borked only in co-op or something.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
but I am pretty positive I get multiple characters going in a row all the time

This happens only if one side gets advantage in number of combatants. So there are dudes in a row tailing the end of the queue, like us / them / us / them / us / them / them / them.

It can also be different for first turns depending on when you pop out of stealth, the arrangement in which your dudes enter combat, etc. But after the first turn, it all gets Sawyer'd, and keeps getting Sawyer'd all the time until the bitter end.

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Tactician difficulty seems poorly balanced. Act 1 reminded me of the early game hell in DOS1, which I liked. Now, fights are taking longer due to stat bloat. When people complained about the difficulty dropping off past the 1st area in the previous game it wasn't a call to give everything massive amounts of armor and health. I played the EA and the only difference between classic and tactician seems to be the stats.
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-2-release-thread.118260/page-56#post-5304714

Murk

Arcane
That's from early access from 1 year ago m80.

Might be a bug tho tbh (the sawyering, that is).

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I'll take a look later when I get home to double check, but I'm pretty sure I've had multiple friendlies get turns one right after the other and not you / them / you / etc.

I invite you to check these pics:

nB67zw.jpg

9NXNxg.jpg

SUlziw.jpg

ws9CL2.jpg

ALL of these initiative queues are arranged alternately.

The two last pics? When the fights were proceeding:

- the voidling in the swamp, which was last in the queue and behind prince, suddenly spiked up to #2 once all its buddies died.
- the zombie that is behind me in the witch cave fight suddenly started acting after beast once all the other trash died.

THE CONSPIRACY IS REAL

l0tePb.gif
This is actually making me angry.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
but I am pretty positive I get multiple characters going in a row all the time

This happens only if one side gets advantage in number of combatants. So there are dudes in a row tailing the end of the queue, like us / them / us / them / us / them / them / them.

It can also be different for first turns depending on when you pop out of stealth, the arrangement in which your dudes enter combat, etc. But after the first turn, it all gets Sawyer'd, and keeps getting Sawyer'd all the time until the bitter end.

This is what The Banner Saga did. It would always ensure the turns alternated between sides, to mitigate the snowballing advantage that comes from eliminating foes.

Still super lame.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
All it does is ensure that Initiative is beyond useless, possibly even detrimental, since it in no way decides who goes first, it only determines the order on each side.

This is seriously the dumbest thing I've ever seen in a turn-based RPG. I'm not even joking. All the other issues are by-and-large debatable, but this shits over an already lackluster stat (Wits), invalidates an entire game mechanic (Initiative) and enforces some misguided idea of fair play in a non-competitive context. It's seriously, seriously wtf. There's a minimum of one person at Larian that should be physically disciplined and be sent to bed without supper.

All Wits is now is essentially a tax to allow you to find "secrets". What this game needed was not more useless, one-sided or shallow Attributes.

Citizen

It still matters in coop, you can dump statpoints in it to make turns before your friends! MUH BALINSE

So the only real usage of initiative in singleplayer is to arrange the turn order of your party?

Renevent

Cipher
Yeah, def wrong here. You can get multiple characters to go one after another but it's only if the teams aren't matched up. Guess I never noticed that. Well, at least you still get crit chance from wits :/ That said, it seems initiative is only useful on one character if you want that character to always have first action and set the order for the rest, otherwise it is you/enemy/you/enemy.

Shadenuat

Arcane
The use of high initiative character is to activate fight in "me enemy me enemy" mode instead of losing and going for "rape rape rape rape me" mode. I think that's how system works.

Now the question is how to get 44 Wits on level ~13 when I fought that Eternal chick in a tomb with 6 summoned wolves going twice a row killing me instantly.
(won by save scumming)
(may exaggerate due to amount of spirit wolf Rape and choking on Avellone tears running down my throat)

Last edited:

Sjukob

Arcane
Guys I'm at the beggining of Act 2 wrecking everything with ease , please tell me it gets harder . My build isn't even good , I just went for classic 2h warfare + ranger + geo/fire + aero/hydro party .

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Suddenly, an unprecedented new use for CC!

Keep no armour/little HP enemy dudes with high initiative around permastunned to ensure that your party will act in a row! :troll:

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
I was quit skeptical about this game but have to say I love it so far. I hated the art style, the writing seemed bad and the world generic and uninteresting. Even though I still don't like these aspects (although graphically it looks nice) the combat, character system, freedom and exploration are just really good and fun. I just finished act 1 by the way.

I love character systems where you can mix and match different skills and spend hours planning and thinking about potential fun builds.

I play with:
PC: huntsman/summoner with 2 points in poly for utility and 1 point in pyro for buffs
Beast: scoundrel/air (dual wielding)
Red Prince: warfare/pyro (sword and shield)
Fane: hydro/geo, will maybe add some necro later for fun

All in all I have to admit I'm enjoying playing this more than PoE (see my fanboy tag, I really liked PoE). The gameplay is just more fun. I still vastly prefer the writing, art style and world of PoE though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom