Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
- Max barter, give bribes to increase discount
- Max Thievery, put 1 point into Metamorph for Invis
- 1 point in Lucky Charm means every container in the game from book shelf to chest will have a chance for extra loot for char looting.
- Put 2-3 points for every char into every armor attribute (mage will have 13 str, 13 fin, else int, etc.). It's only 1-3 points needed. Proceed to mix and match armor pieces however you like.
- Steal gold from everyone once you can steal at least 3k gold. Steal gold, autosort inventory - they can't blame you now. Steal skill books. Search people with lotsa gold. Sometimes they can be at strange places (there is 3k gold fisherman in main hub near docks).

Heh, I always ignore barter in every game since every RPG makes you so rich mid-game on you don't know what to buy. Not this time it seems.
I got 6 Lucky Charm on one of my chars and it's very good. But you rarely find anything actually useful, it's mostly vendor trash.
I've started pumping Str/Fin/Int of every char to at least 12 a while ago. Basically a must.
Not sold on stealing. Sure it can be useful but as someone already said, the game is pretty slow already, this would send it tumbling down into unbearable tedium. An absolute must on Tactician I suspect, on Classic I'll try to do without.

Well they did good job but voidbugs in cave are exactly trash mobs, as well as copy pasted cultists. Scarecrows are tough but you've yet to find most broken shit (especially due to initiative) like Hanagh fight, so prepare your anus.

:negative:

Last edited:

KateMicucci

Arcane
Are there patch notes somewhere? When is the game being patched? I've been stuck waiting for a gamebreaking bug in Driftwood to be fixed for a couple of days.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, if you want to go do manual labor like pulling weeds or brushing toilets, I'm sorry, but I don't think Larian implemented that. Maybe in the EE?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Initiative in D:OS wasn't even something that needed to be "fixed." It wasn't like Wasteland 2 where having high initiative on everyone meant you could attack multiple times in a row before an enemy could act.

This poll on the official forums reminds me why I hate humanity.

hiver said:
Partial resistance based on remaining armor. Boom. Done.
Already suggested by me during Ea.

Its not something the devs couldnt figure out themselves.
They made their choice intentionally.

So no amount of suggestions will change that. Especially now when the game is selling very well and the new mass market audience spam their "enjoyment" all over.

hiver fought the good fight with his voice, but Shields Up Swen wanted those saving throws gone, never to return.

Sentinel

Arcane
Ahhh, it is the cycle all over again. The "games by hardcore gamers for hardcore gamers" narrative to grab the attention of grognards the first time around. Game is successful, gets some mainstream attention. Second time, same thing, but game suffers changes to streamline content and mechanics. Grognards complain, but they're not the majority anymore, they're powerless to stop the decline that is on the horizon as the devs roll in the dough and everyone else praises the changes as the second coming of christ. But it is too late, it's time to go back to wondering about what could have been.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Well, if you want to go do manual labor like pulling weeds or brushing toilets, I'm sorry, but I don't think Larian implemented that. Maybe in the EE?

Already a fucking hero has to pickpocket every fish smelling uncircumcised tramp to get the every penny, for his rag...ekhm i mean shiny armor. But hey, you are atleast a godwoken!

KateMicucci

Arcane
Ahhh, it is the cycle all over again. The "games by hardcore gamers for hardcore gamers" narrative to grab the attention of grognards the first time around. Game is successful, gets some mainstream attention. Second time, same thing, but game suffers changes to streamline content and mechanics. Grognards complain, but they're not the majority anymore, they're powerless to stop the decline that is on the horizon as the devs roll in the dough and everyone else praises the changes as the second coming of christ. But it is too late, it's time to go back to wondering about what could have been.
What's "hardcore" about rolling dice?

Lacrymas

Arcane
They just needed to put more thought into the system. There were many ways they could've prevented CC spam at the beginning of combat, like casting times or CCs being rare/high level. I don't know how they sit down to design anything or what their thought process is, I don't think anyone sober could've designed some of the things in this game.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In

Sentinel

Arcane
it's not entertaining and explosive enough for console tards

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In

PoE had rolling dice, and wasn't selling bad. XCOM 2 too. How can you make immunities without rolls against stats. That's just blasphemy, its like we throw 30 years of D&D experience out of window.

Trashos

Arcane
Running out of money in an RPG? Unheard of! Seriously, that sounds like incline.

Sounds like bad world building. In real life where can you run out of money, if you have ability to work? As long as you work, you get money, there's no finite shit. Universe is infinite.

Greece

Work component not found.

Eh, it does not matter. In Greece, electrical bill for small apartment is about 75% of the minimum wage.

Sentinel

Arcane

PoE had rolling dice, and wasn't selling bad. XCOM 2 too. How can you make immunities without rolls against stats. That's just blasphemy, its like we throw 30 years of D&D experience out of window.
PoE was a PC exclusive until maybe 2 months ago. XCOM 1 PC massively outsold the console version, dunno about XCOM 2.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Not sold on stealing. Sure it can be useful but as someone already said, the game is pretty slow already
Just steal your gold you give traders back at least, it's classic feat in every rpg checklist.
With current system, if you go stealing, then you go all in and steal all, becoz of one chance. So far hireable companions are cheaper than gold that you can steal from traders as one codexer pointed out. Perpetum mobile.

Lacrymas

Arcane
This industry has the shortest memory ever, nobody learns from their or anyone else's mistakes or accomplishments, so throwing 30 years of D&D experience out the window is standard procedure. It's a constant uphill battle to reinvent the wheel with almost every single game or IP, it's ridiculous.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Your regular attack misses with a 70-90% chance of success, your average player will rage, but it's not such a big deal since you can just try again next turn. Your crowd control spell misses with a 70-90% chance of success, your average player is going to scream and cry because now they have to wait for the cooldown to end before they can try again and their entire plan is ruined.

KateMicucci

Arcane
I don't know, or care, what console tards think about die rolling, if they even think systems at all.

Die rolling is fine as a crutch for games where there is little variety or tactical options. The element of chance can spice things up there and keep a simple game from being too easily solved.

OS2 has enough variety in encounters, builds and skills that it doesn't need die rolling and is a better tactical game without it. The armor system even serves a double purpose, since not only does it remove unnecessary randomness and allow the player to plan their turn more thoughtfully, it introduces a bunch of new tactical elements. Asymmetrical splits between magic/physical armor, abilities with either physical/magical saves and the need to have characters with both, armor regen skills instead of just plain boring healing skills, etc. That's a heck of a lot more interesting than damage reduction and die rolls.

Last edited:

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In

Your regular attack misses with a 70-90% chance of success, your average player will rage, but it's not such a big deal since you can just try again next turn. Your crowd control spell misses with a 70-90% chance of success, your average player is going to scream and cry because now they have to wait for the cooldown to end before they can try again and their entire plan is ruined.

At least its a proven system, not some armor/magicka combo. 30-40 years of exp vs an idea born during friday beer party.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
The higher the level, the worse it gets: get new sword - see damage jump from 100-200 to 200-300, because of whole scaling system behind the hood. Repeat for 4 characters.
*whistles unfamiliar melody* And I-i-i-im going soloooooooooooooo!

Two-handed doesn't seem that strong compared to these two?
Not actually. I have seen comment that states, that while duals better when you use auto-attack, two handed have similiar, or even MORE damage output with skills, so duals better for autoattacking, two handers for skill usage.

The Ai is retarded, once you sneak your whole team past enemy vision cones, they just freeze in combat. You can move as you like, do as you want, pass turns. They should be looking for characters by moving.
And I even started a thread on steam about that - result was surpraising, because mainstream public has intellect of a turd, which I completely forgot about.

Also guys, don't be so sure that Tactician have no or little difference from Classic, because I read different comments about that.

Sentinel

Arcane
The armor system even serves a double purpose since not only die it remove unnecessary randomness and allow the player to plan their turn more thoughtfully
Hmmmm, should I blast this guy's armor until it wears off so I can finally use the skills that my build grants me and have fun?
Seems like pointless tedium to me, not planning.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Yes, the very hard, and tactical, decision of "this enemy has more physical than magical armor, so should I attack with physical or magical damage?". Such choice and depth. Wow, Sawyer should get in on this.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Also about builds - combination of geomancer + warfare was called as imba. Also two LW geomancers who throw shield all the way was called as strong party.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom