Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Thanks, I've heard about it before. Does it require an elaborate setup? Can you guide me through it, how to install and get it up and running? Pl0x
Didn't watch any videos, and just got it working in 2 minutes. You select the game process (game needs to be running), tick "enable speedhack", select speed, apply.

Does it break the game in any way? There's already plenty of bugs in the game, I don't want to play with the mod for 10 hours, only to realize is fucks the game and corrupts my save sor some shit.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It's those stupid fucking shields. Enemies have waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much of those.

It's not really that mobs have wayyy too much shields. It's that they always have the maximum available for their level while you're lucky to scrounge enough money and gear to get this much for one of your characters, two max.

Which is useless anyway coz enemies focus fire your weakest chars.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
While playing last night, I have noticed on a few occasions that Ifan, when shooting the crossbow given to him by the merchant you meet when you escape the fort, does damage to both armor AND health with the same hit.

I'm almost at level 6 and I think I'm starting to get the idea Larian had with the armor system. What they call "Armor" is really configurable HP boosts. While your HP depends on your level and Constitution stat, your configurable HP boost is determined by your gear, and you are allowed (expected?) to fine-tune it before encounters.

To advance in the configurable HP however, you are practically required to spend serious money on gear, or invest heavily into Lucky Charm, and gamble that you'll find good gear in containers -- which is in effect spending points which could have increased your damage, and hope that Larian included good enough stuff in their loot tables to justify you spending those points.

Conclusion, which answers my earlier question about Barter - Barter is a pretty damn important skill in this game. Invest in Barter, invest in your damage output and you should be set, at least during the early game. It's more economically viable to increase your damage output while reducing the cost of your exta HP (money you pay merchants for gear) than it is to increase your chances to win a lottery.

The shop inventory tables are more reliable than the loot tables when it comes to netting you good loot, and if you can push the price down, the long run gains are much higher than what you could win from the lottery over a long number of "gambles" - opening of containers.

Just loot everything, and I do mean everything with a strength character, and sell that shit. You won't really have problem with money. Spend it wisely of course.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
While playing last night, I have noticed on a few occasions that Ifan, when shooting the crossbow given to him by the merchant you meet when you escape the fort, does damage to both armor AND health with the same hit.

I'm almost at level 6 and I think I'm starting to get the idea Larian had with the armor system. What they call "Armor" is really configurable HP boosts. While your HP depends on your level and Constitution stat, your configurable HP boost is determined by your gear, and you are allowed (expected?) to fine-tune it before encounters.

To advance in the configurable HP however, you are practically required to spend serious money on gear, or invest heavily into Lucky Charm, and gamble that you'll find good gear in containers -- which is in effect spending points which could have increased your damage, and hope that Larian included good enough stuff in their loot tables to justify you spending those points.

Conclusion, which answers my earlier question about Barter - Barter is a pretty damn important skill in this game. Invest in Barter, invest in your damage output and you should be set, at least during the early game. It's more economically viable to increase your damage output while reducing the cost of your exta HP (money you pay merchants for gear) than it is to increase your chances to win a lottery.

The shop inventory tables are more reliable than the loot tables when it comes to netting you good loot, and if you can push the price down, the long run gains are much higher than what you could win from the lottery over a long number of "gambles" - opening of containers.

Just loot everything, and I do mean everything with a strength character, and sell that shit. You won't really have problem with money. Spend it wisely of course.
I rather dislike it that Barter is a zero sum game - for every merchant, just use the party member with the highest Barter skill. I would have liked it much better if the race/origin reactivity that's seen in the rest of the interactions was spreading more into the merchants.

Arcanum did this so many years ago, though it was relatively simple - merchants of your own race had a better reaction to you and traded with you at a small discount. D:OS2 could go a lot further and make it matter who is doing the trading, while not just relying on the Barter skill. It would also make it more meaningful to have multiple party members investing into Barter, because you would have situations where a character with Barter still can't get as good prices as another character with less Barter who is simply "liked" more by the merchant.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Now, I am not playing the game so I don't wanna take my mouth too full but I find it interesting that a lot of Codexers seem to complain about difficulty while the twitch streamer casuals I watch on occasion seem to be doing just fine and have fun. What gives?

It's not boring, fights just become a drag thanks to armor&HP bloat in tacticool difficulty. Whacking pinatas ( most of them are empty) gets boring after a while.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
m almost at level 6 and I think I'm starting to get the idea Larian had with the armor system. What they call "Armor" is really configurable HP boosts. While your HP depends on your level and Constitution stat, your configurable HP boost is determined by your gear, and you are allowed (expected?) to fine-tune it before encounters.

Sounds too far-fetched to me.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
m almost at level 6 and I think I'm starting to get the idea Larian had with the armor system. What they call "Armor" is really configurable HP boosts. While your HP depends on your level and Constitution stat, your configurable HP boost is determined by your gear, and you are allowed (expected?) to fine-tune it before encounters.

Sounds too far-fetched to me.
Maybe you were luckier than me in finding good gear, but over the course of the game, I expect that cumulative small savings from the discounts which my Barter character would get, would outweigh the benefits from the gambling of a high-Lucky Charm character. That character would find a cool item in one out of 10-15 containers, which would save him a few hundred - a couple of thousand gold. But meanwhile my character would make profits for every sell and savings from every item bought.
:keepmyjewgold:

Edit - meanwhile, my character will have on average better armor (more HP in effect) than a high Luck character.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Since we're talking about looting, I love the secrets and "hidden" locations in the game. I really enjoy that you get rewarded for trying out crazy stuff like teleporting people in small far out spots.
Usually these spots are the ones that provide the most "unique" loot too.

nullbag

Barely Literate
Now, I am not playing the game so I don't wanna take my mouth too full but I find it interesting that a lot of Codexers seem to complain about difficulty while the twitch streamer casuals I watch on occasion seem to be doing just fine and have fun. What gives?

From my experience, the difficulty decreases once you learn some of the (often unexplained) nuances. The difference between arranging your party before a fight starts and being caught in random positions is huge. Knowing that you can delay your turn is helpful. Stacking all physical damage (and CC) has also been helpful.

I am running into characters who are obsessed with fucking lizardmen. The game even has a quest which is solely about fucking a lizardman or lizardwoman (screenshot). You even get 6000 XP for finishing this "quest". :roll:

Fucking libtard writers and their lizardmen dicking obsession. Exact same shit with Bioware. I wouldn't be surprised if I ran into some trannies too.

I don't care whether the writing style was politically motivated. I just wish that it wasn't so cringey. I like the general fantasy setting, but it's ruined very time a conversation starts, especially with the female characters. Most of the female dialogue reads like it was:
  • Written by poor roleplayers ("Hello, nice to meet you." "*I walk up to you and lick your neck, then bite your ear." ?????)
  • Written for tumbler (as many fetishes as possible in place of actual wit or narration).
  • Repetitive. I keep seeing the same middle-aged, sex-starved, self-centered female archetypes who just happen to be magically powerful somehow (aka mary sue) instead of actual interesting women.
This is a shame because I really like good, well-written characters (female and male).

Fetishes aside, the dialogue in general is pretty bad. There are so many conversations where I just want a "stay silent" because none of the following are viable:
  • 1. *Frown. Aren't you already a Source Master?* ???????
or
  • 2. *Nod - it sounds dangerous, but if that's what it takes.* ??????
Once I started ignoring the dialogue text, the game became much more enjoyable.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Since we're talking about looting, I love the secrets and "hidden" locations in the game. I really enjoy that you get rewarded for trying out crazy stuff like teleporting people in small far out spots.
Yeah me too, but you know, only teleport the party member with the highest Lucky charm stat. I don't know if I like this dependency.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah me too, but you know, only teleport the party member with the highest Lucky charm stat. I don't know if I like this dependency.
I believe Lucky Charm usually adds only some gold to the loot. I agree that it's a bit annoying to have a "designated looter" but... oh well. Not such a big issue for me

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm not sold on Barter yet. My Persuasion 4 char has default 20 attitude at all merchants and that nets him about 10% off the price compared to my other chars. Which is not amazing.

What does Barter actually do? Does it further increase attitude, cumulative with Persuasion, or does it directly reduce prices? If, say, Persuasion 4 and Barter 4 would give you a cumulative 50% off all prices that would absolutely be superior to Lucky Charm, however high.

I believe Lucky Charm usually adds only some gold to the loot.

Nope, it let's you find unidentified valuable items. Not sure if higher LC only raises your chance per container or also raises the quality of loot. My LC 5 char almost always finds Epic or Legendary items btw.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I believe Lucky Charm usually adds only some gold to the loot. I agree that it's a bit annoying to have a "designated looter" but... oh well. Not such a big issue for me
If Lucky charm adds just more probability for finding gold, this makes the Barter skill even more superior to Lucky Charm.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I'm not sold on Barter yet. My Persuasion 4 char has default 20 attitude at all merchants and that nets him about 10% off the price compared to my other chars. Which is not amazing.

What does Barter actually do? Does it further increase attitude, cumulative with Persuasion, or does it directly reduce prices? If, say, Persuasion 4 and Barter 4 would give you a cumulative 50% off all prices that would absolutely be superior to Lucky Charm, however high.
In the trade interface, switch between a character with barter and a character without barter. Barter gives you a direct discount. They even show you the original price crossed out.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
In the trade interface, switch between a character with barter and a character without barter. Barter gives you a direct discount. They even show you the original price crossed out.

As I said, you get lower prices for high Persuasion characters as well - because apparently Persuasion raises your attitude with merchants (the gold colored number below merchant's name). It seems it's +5 attitude for every point of Persuasion.

Does your high Barter character have higher default attitude with merchants?

AwesomeButton

Patron

As I said, you get lower prices for high Persuasion characters as well - because apparently Persuasion raises your attitude with merchants (the gold colored number below merchant's name). It seems it's +5 attitude for every point of Persuasion.

I'll test that, because I have persuasion of 3 or 4 on the Prince and barter 3 on Ifan, but no persuasion.

How can I see my default attitude with a merchant?

Raapys

Arcane
Does it break the game in any way? There's already plenty of bugs in the game, I don't want to play with the mod for 10 hours, only to realize is fucks the game and corrupts my save sor some shit.
It can and will fuck up voiceovers in cutscenes and in-game non-player conversations; sound plays at regular speed, but the voice clips will start playing before the previous ones are finished.

It makes the game about 95% less boring though, so it's well worth it. But going too high could make it a bit awkward to play, so you should probably limit yourself to 2x speed.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
How can I see my default attitude with a merchant?

When you enter the shop screen you see the merchant's name and right below there's a yellow star and a number. That's your attitude.

Btw I've just noticed I fucked up. My Persuasion 5 character also has Barter 1 so maybe I get the 10% discount for my Barter instead of Persuasion. Then again if a point in Barter equals 10% off the prices then maxing out Barter gives you shit for free?

Test it and we'll see.

Ausdoerrt

Augur
Which is useless anyway coz enemies focus fire your weakest chars.
"Provoke" skill exists, as do "Mend Armor" and "Soothing Cold". My tank character rarely ever has shields broken. Even if the mages die, there's no real penalty anyway, just gotta make sure they live long enough to buff and lay down elemental surfaces.

, member: 22980"]Maybe you were luckier than me in finding good gear, but over the course of the game, I expect that cumulative small savings from the discounts which my Barter character would get, would outweigh the benefits from the gambling of a high-Lucky Charm character. That character would find a cool item in one out of 10-15 containers, which would save him a few hundred - a couple of thousand gold. But meanwhile my character would make profits for every sell and savings from every item bought.
I think you're also forgetting crafting, which is essentially free, requires no skill point investment (unlike DOS1) and lets you make some decent stuff. Or make loads of useless stuff and sell it for $.

Barter does not affect attitude, it's a direct discount. I believe Attitude comes from Persuasion, and it also affects prices. Hard to tell so far, which one is better. (Teste by having two characters with same Persuasion (5* attitude) but with and without Barter skill respectively)

Arkeus

Arcane
It's not a either lucky charm/either barter/eathier thieving.

Havingg a designated thief/designated looter/designated seller is the 'logical way' to me. Just keep in mind to always keep any gear that has thievery/barter on them.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

That's what "piercing damage" does.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom