Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin Beta Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

bonescraper

Nitpicky shit? I can throw barrels and chests into fire to break them, i can use elemental weapons on different parts of the environment, i can freely trhow stuff around, i can use wooden buckets as helmets, but i can't ignite a pool of oil with a goddamn candle? They made a lot of misc interactive items. Might just add a little more purpose to them.

I haven't played the game so
So shut the fuck up.
The more i play the more i want to change this game...

They should rename the Survivalist skill tree to something more obvious and fitting (Rogue, Finesse, whatever). They should add Nature and Holy Divine Magic (Divine, geddit? hyuk hyuk)

nigga never played divine divinity

a shameful nigga
I played it. They could just as well name their classess Sworddude, Daggerman and Pewpewmagicurdead. Why though? Warrior, Rogue, Mage, keep it simple you damn hipsters.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Way_of_the_Survivor.jpg

:hmmm:

Also, if you did play it proper, you'd realise how dum is suggesting they add "divine magic", and further following it with a 'HYUK HYUK" as if it was something clever.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Fuck all that, we oughta be allowed to created our own character without class labels.

I'm pretty sure they've mentioned that for the final game. You'd be allowed to pick your starting talents from a list as well as shuffle the abilities/skills/talents as you already can.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Also, I can't be arsed to real this whole thread (LOLOLOLOLO MEGATHREAD) so I'll just drop 2 questions:

- Gud, y/n?
- How does it compare to DivDiv (sans obvious stuff like tb combatings)?

Unwanted

Contrite

Andhaira
Andhaira
A few more observations:

-The writing and the dialogue in the game needs improvement. I don't think we will see this happen, as it will be time consuming. It does negatively affect the immersion though.
-I really like the engine, but find it annoying how the camera sudenly chooses to pan out at certain locations. This is not only jarring, but also caused one of my characters to take damage from a trap because I accidently clicked somewhere I should not have.
-Pathfinding is poor. This is a curse of the isometric RPG genre it appears. Hopefully this will be improved in the final product.
-No NPC cycles and no day/night cycles saddens me. I really wish they had instead cut out multiplayer entirely, or released multiplayer as a DLC instead. I know MP was one of the first ideas of the game before development seriously started, but this game cries out for NPC schedules. It would improve immersion and gameplay so much, and even lead to fun quests.
-I would go so far as to say just add aesthetic day/night cycles. Don't add schedules now if you can't afford to, just have day/night cycles and have NPCs disappear during the nights (aka they went to bed)

Some questions for those who have played the beta more:

-I read in the megathread that the beta is 20% of the final game. Does that mean length? Or does that mean the total number of features? I assume it is the former. At what point does the Beta end? Right after the first town, or much later?
-It is refreshing to play a TB RPG again where I can kill/attack anyone I choose to. I fooled around with this a bit and killed the mayor and his monster adopted daughter (the librarian). I managed to get a lot of great loot in the library. My reputation went down to -3. I turned in at that point, but I was wondering, what does a -3 repute mean? Will I be attack on site? If so, only in this town or everywhere? Fellow murderers, please respond!

Zeriel

Arcane
Also, I can't be arsed to real this whole thread (LOLOLOLOLO MEGATHREAD) so I'll just drop 2 questions:

- Gud, y/n?

Yes.

Hard to say yet, DivDiv wasn't inarguably great until you got a long ways in. So far it feels like ToEE's combat with Larian's content and storytelling, which is an amazing combo in my world, but some people here hate Larian's style, so figure that in.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That there is no 3rd dimension in the game is a bit of a disappointment, since it makes a faithful ultima 7 remake a bit different. OH WELL

Unwanted

Contrite

Andhaira
Andhaira

- Gud, y/n?

-Yes, it's very gud. I have only played a few hours, but the potential is far great that Blackguards. And I am only talking about combat here; combat has the potential to be more tactical and more damn fun thatn Blackguards, which was a damn fine game in it's own right. Then you have the face that this game is more of an RPG as you don't just fight, but quest and explore. I am not yet sure if there will be large off-the-beaten-path areas to explore that have nothing to do with the main quest, but are just you wandering around. I really hope there are.

-It is superior due to things other than the obvious (combat) such as spell combinations, better lighting and graphics, better building design, better open area design (open areas look huge and very variable, with forests, waterfalls, mountains, etc). Dungeons are more flavorful. Cannot comment yet on the dialogue as it is subpar from what little I have seen sadly. DD had average dialogue, and some good humor.

TL'DR If you enjoyed DD but wished it had true char gen, TB combat, and the ability to eventually form a party, get this game immediately. If you don't want to spoil yourself on the beta, get the game but download it when the full version is released.

bonescraper

Way_of_the_Survivor.jpg

:hmmm:

Also, if you did play it proper, you'd realise how dum is suggesting they add "divine magic", and further following it with a 'HYUK HYUK" as if it was something clever.
Sorry, i'm not spergy enough to remember such details. Looks i followed the path of not giving a fuck. And since there is no trace of divine magic in Original Sin, i made the joke. But oh boy, you got me there. I yield.

a_winner_is_you_1024-600x450.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Darth Roxor is quite the Codex hipster - almost entirely ignoring the games the Codex is most interested in (Eternity, this game, etc) while championing games the Codex was skeptical of or didn't like much (Blackguards, Shadowrun Returns).

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I'm only actively ignoring this game's alpha/beta so as to not spoil the full experience once it's released. I'm actually pumped like fuck for it atm, and have always been.

Eternity, tho, don't care that much. Popamole rtwp shit designed by inept people, thx but no thx :smug:

bonescraper

Translation: I have no monies, i'm just waiting for a free review copy.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Nice try, but it was actually one of the only 2 kickstarturs I've supported.

Unwanted

Contrite

Andhaira
Andhaira
Darth Roxor is quite the Codex hipster - almost entirely ignoring the games the Codex is most interested in (Eternity, this game, etc) while championing games the Codex was skeptical of or didn't like much (Blackguards, Shadowrun Returns).

Codex didn't like Blackguards much? I thought Codex loved it. Or are you talking about before it was released?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Codex didn't like Blackguards much? I thought Codex loved it. Or are you talking about before it was released?

Yes, the "edgy crowd" pretty much thought it was going to be shovelware before we did the beta review.

bonescraper

Nice try, but it was actually one of the only 2 kickstarturs I've supported.
Nice try, but those 5$ only grant you Larian's eternal gratitude. No game i'm afraid :(

Don't worry though, if they release a deluxe boxed copy, i'll have to buy it too. You'll be the first nigga on my giveaway list :smug:

Yes, the "edgy crowd" pretty much thought it was going to be shovelware before we did the beta review.
And it's still a glorified puzzle game. In other words - a game for hipsters.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
So shut the fuck up.

Ooooh, so badass.

No matter how big a factor environment interaction is in the game bitching that candles don't light oil traps still seems insanely petty to me. Please go on with your uber-developer advisement though, I am sure Larian are eager to hear your rich constructive criticism.

clemens

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
So, been playing this coop with a friend the whole afternoon.

- We decided to be assholes and the game rewarded us for it !
- We froze evil twins with subpar chill spells that do nothing on regular opponents but are actually very effective on fire creatures
- We didn't actually have to much trouble with most of the the low-level combat encounters we went through, but were nearly killed several times by traps and/or environmental conditions we provoked ourself
- We were thrown in jail and escaped
- We argued about petty things and laughed about it
- We got a beating from a ghost after we desecrated his tomb
- We obtained great loot from an inattainable chest through exploration of a secret tunnel that lead to it and clever use of teleportation spells
- We kited ennemies we couldn't damage using teleport pyramids and sharing items with our magic pockets to survive
- We sneak behind evil mages and backstabbed them
- We tried to rob a cat who then turned into a badass sorcerer who fried our asses...
- We fought a fuckin burning undead wielding some sort of flamethrower .... ?!
That was amazing !

:love:

The game is certainly not perfect yet and probably never will be, but fuck if it's not fun. This is gonna be one of those classic flawed gem everyone remembers so fondly and has so many anecdotes to tell about.
Also, the writing is imaginative, decent and/or funny in most places. What are those complaints about ?

Last edited:

bonescraper

So shut the fuck up.

Ooooh, so badass.

No matter how big a factor environment interaction is in the game bitching that candles don't light oil traps still seems insanely petty to me. Please go on with your uber-developer advisement though, I am sure Larian are eager to hear your rich constructive criticism.
Ok, you fucking retard. You don't know shit about the issue at hand, yet you feel entitled to respond. You know much work would such a great task require?

One.

Fucking.

Line.

Of.

Additional.

Code.

All required mechanics are already tehre (you can move the candle and you can ignite the oil). You can even put out the candle and relight it again for no fucking reason whatsoever. They added that for sheer fucking amusement, so why couldn't they make it useful? Beats me.

Now, kindly shut the fuck up, and stop embarassing yourself any further, m'kay?

hiver

dalek is just another of the extremely emotionally engaged drones, who are trying to keep up their level of engagement (and a future one at that) by calling everything that looks like it might endanger it - nitpicking.

bonescraper

why dont you suggest that to them directly? btw. what fucking good is going to do mentioning it here?
seems like a reasonable thing to expect, an easy thing to enable - and i will probably repeat the same thing when i encounter that situation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom