Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin Beta Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
from what i have noticed repeating some questions, trading where the value is insulting and repeated clicking (on some?) characters lowers rep. And it will cause them to either attack you during conversation or after. Probably a bug in the code somewhere but anyway.

Love the game... Im sad... wont be able to play for 6 weeks >.<

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
yes. is creepy bad?

Lemme guess. Bioware fan, right?

Of course. I like "bio" stuff. I loved Baldur's Gate, it was the first RPG I played. KOTOR was good. I found Neverwinter bearable. I studied the decline in Dragon Age and Mass Effect but they were not finished.

You are stupid, Outlander. I don't know if you are stupid all the time or it happened but you've just been stupid. I would take a creepy disposition for some Original Sin items or any creepiness in general to avoid having your low, 2 digits, vengeful without reason, IQ. I know, you now would like me to explain why I called you stupid. Guys of your type always have to know why, because they already have their doubts about themselves. But I am not going to waste my time. I do not believe it is curable. Stupidity is like a disease. And it is viral. I already spent too much time on you. I am going to play some Original Sin, maybe I have not contacted too much of your disease.

And yes, Delterius, the original version could have been called dismissive. I apologize. Is Outlander the usual punishment for dismissive, one word posts around the Codex?

:butthurt:

jdinatale

Cipher
How to get past the forcefield beneath the church?
I am blocked by a force field. My mage can teleport my characters past it, but the mage himself can't pass.

Is it ok to kill Thelryon? He has the key, so I could kill him, teleport back over and unlock it. But is he important to the game?

My characters can't steal.

Stabbey

Learned
You need the amulet from Evelyn's corpse. I bet you never found her beach hideout.

I think you can probably kill major NPC's, but the downside is that they won't be able to tell you anything afterwards, so you lose story.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Stabbey, are doors easy to break, I'm trying to bust into Evelyn's house, but it seems to be trouble even with a 40-50 damage scimitar.
Or can I just use Rush to get in?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Haven't raised pickpocket on either char, and where's the fun in a solution as straight-forward as "get key"?

Stabbey

Learned
You can't pickpocket the key off of her. Magic is the best bet to open doors.

Even so, that takes a while. There was an ordinary door in a cellar I tried to open using Blitzbolt and that was taking so long that I got bored and left. I imagine that Evelyn's door will be a lot tougher to break down. Hitting things with your weapon will lower its durability a lot more than hitting enemies, and you don't want that given how terribly Repair is implemented in the current version.

That may be a plot-locked door. EDIT: To clarify, I have no idea if there actually are any plot-locked or indestructible doors in the game.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Yeah, I figured door-breaking isn't the most optimal solution. Far as I could tell, I couldn't burn the door, or beat it to death bare-handed. Though if Rush doesn't work, Phoenix Dive might, though I'll have to get that in the first place.
Also, plot-locked doors? :x

Stabbey

Learned
Yeah, I figured door-breaking isn't the most optimal solution. Far as I could tell, I couldn't burn the door, or beat it to death bare-handed. Though if Rush doesn't work, Phoenix Dive might, though I'll have to get that in the first place.
Also, plot-locked doors? :x

I don't actually know if it's plot-locked, I have not actually tried smashing it down recently, so don't take my word for it. There is a story element to the game, so it is possible that some doors may be indestructible to try and limit sequence breaking.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
No, it isn't plot-locked, it is just difficult to destroy. It was easy to smash before the recent patch.

Last edited:

ForkTong

Larian Studios
Developer
We don't do plot locking. We can make a door more sturdy, which is probably the case here, but not block it off.

The reason why we make some doors a bit tougher than others, is because once players start blasting away ALL doors, they're gonna lose a lot of story info if this is the first time they're playing. So on one hand, we don't take away freedom, but we do acknowledge that it's probably not a good idea. If you persevere, you've made your own choice.

Snozgobler

Educated
I really need to make more time to play this game. I still don't know if a Zombie, Leech gets hurt by pools of blood!

Also, I've rarely been a fan of weapons needing repairs in games; it seems like an unnecessary burden on melee characters imo, casters rarely experience similar limitations

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
It's something to put your skill points in, at least. I mean, casters can choose between telekinetics, earth, air, fire, water, witchcraft sourcery. Melee's got one handed, two handed and that tenebry whatsit, maybe.

clemens

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Why wouldn't you put points in witchcraft AND a melee skill ? Now there's an idea, it's a classless system after all... (yes, yes it works...)

Elthosian

Arcane

Hey bro, any plans to polish up the UI in the next updates? Inventory and status screens being cluttered together doesn't feel so nice, IMO it would be better to have one for Skills/Stats/Talents and another for your stuff, this would also help give more visual space for the inventory grids and make the fonts and buttons a bit bigger, because damnit they are small :(

Also, you should put up an option to turn off the screen auto-centering on your characters, I don't know what triggers it but is easily the thing that has annoyed me the most from my time with the beta...

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
We don't do plot locking.
both doors to cecil's house with the porter pyramid are storylocked (both are unpickable and the outside door is indestructible while the inside door cannot even be targeted) and the only key is inside, which both sucks and is stupid considering cecil doesn't carry a key to his own house.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
don't have the other one and the annoying twat you get it from is nowhere to be found this time around, unlike alpha, where he immediately jumps at you outside of the city gates. even if i had it, that's still a shitty bethesda-like set-up in a game whose strongest selling point is freedom.

Stabbey

Learned
don't have the other one and the annoying twat you get it from is nowhere to be found this time around, unlike alpha, where he immediately jumps at you outside of the city gates. even if i had it, that's still a shitty bethesda-like set-up in a game whose strongest selling point is freedom.

Freedom is nice, but unrestricted freedom is not automatically a good or fun thing. It's pretty much impossible for a developer to plan for every possible combination of circumstances and have a reasonable response for it. Budgets and time are finite. In the alpha I did actually break the door down before meeting the imp, and upon entering the bathroom, I had a conversation referring to the imp I never met and arriving via a pyramid I didn't use.

You'll eventually find the annoying twat if you look around enough. You kinda need to anyway, because that pyramid in the bathroom is worthless without the one the imp gives you - I tried and it did nothing.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Freedom is nice, but unrestricted freedom is not automatically a good or fun thing. It's pretty much impossible for a developer to plan for every possible combination of circumstances and have a reasonable response for it. Budgets and time are finite.
the fun in sandboxy games apart from pure exploration comes mostly from emergent gameplay and direct attempts to actually break something by doing crazy shit devs didn't anticipate. the less illogical restrictions there are, the better.
this particular area on the other hand is purely illogical and budget/time intensive for the sake of a cheap joke set-up.
no reason why those flimsy wooden doors should be impervious to all magic and mundane means, no reason why cecil shouldn't have a key to his own damn room on him to steal or take from his corpse and no reason to begin with why the pyramid should be in there, especially since it would be much easier to just put it on a raised plateau just outside telekinesis range so you can port to it and then throw the other pyramid down. all this is made worse since you actually do have a reason to want to check the room out to find something for the dog (nm that it can be found in the rest of the house or stolen from cecil). but no, you have bad design that requires its own unique dialogue and a special model pose for the bathtub, as if those two things are somewhat better than actually having the freedom to be able to creatively open those damn doors from the outside.

Hassat Hunter

Educated
Of course, this isn't a sandboxy game...

Not everythign needs to be Elder Scrolls (thank god). Think more... PS:T.

EDIT:
Also, did you just seriously suggest having a barren empty room with destroyable doors would be preferable above actual unique content?

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Of course, this isn't a sandboxy game...

Not everythign needs to be Elder Scrolls (thank god). Think more... PS:T.
actually this is a sandboxy game, even more so than the original dd. the more apt comparison is u7, or what u7 would look like if its rpg elements weren't just an afterthought on top of a sandbox adventure.
Also, did you just seriously suggest having a barren empty room with destroyable doors would be preferable above actual unique content?
they who would give up gameplay and coherence, to purchase some little unique content, deserve neither gameplay nor coherence nor content.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom