Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin Beta Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The song-title achievements made me laugh a few times, good job there.

Truly the best news is how people who aren't me are now saying Larian's run out of money, and they aren't being called edgy or wrong. Of course it's hard to deny with such overwhelming evidence. :)

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Well, going to wait for someone to give impressions after extended playtime. Promised features missing upon release and Larian running out of money do not bode that well. And I still remember how great the original Divinity was at the start, only to have an incredibly rushed and poorly made ending.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't know how you can definitely state that they're "out of money". What's certain is that they've delayed the game enough times already and delaying it any further would be embarrassing. Plus, physical retail commitments. That's a reason to release regardless of whether they can actually afford to develop the game for two more months or not.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
As long as they give a timeframe for the patching in of the missing content, im fine with it. Hopefully it will not be 'Soon™'

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I don't know how you can definitely state that they're "out of money". What's certain is that they've delayed the game enough times already and delaying it any further would be embarrassing.
Wasteland 2's been delayed longer. Of course Fargo is savvy enough not to say "Okay it'll be out in February okay spring okay June 20 okay June 30."

Plus, physical retail commitments. That's a reason to release regardless of whether they can actually afford to develop the game for two more months or not.
After they missed February they chose to commit to spring. They could have chosen late summer or fall, but I doubt they have the budget for it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The game has been in development since late 2010. That's an unprecedentedly large amount of development time and money invested in a turn-based RPG. At some point you just have to say "okay, we're done now". And cut features if necessary, something you've spoken in praise of when it comes from your "g-d".

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The game has been in development since late 2010. That's an unprecedentedly large amount of development time and money invested in a turn-based RPG. At some point you just have to say "okay, we're done now". And cut features if necessary, something you've spoken in praise of when it comes from your "g-d".

Reality is reality and it is what it is, but that goes both ways. If Larian has a right to cut touted features, then consumers have a right to be offended about it. We'll have to see.

Last edited:

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Were the companions going to be interesting anyway? Or were they just gonna be some flat henchmen to use as combat pets?

Anyway, I bought this game somewhere during alpha, and am probably just gonna play AND enjoy it tomorrow.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The game has been in development since late 2010. That's an unprecedentedly large amount of development time and money invested in a turn-based RPG.
Fallout also got 3.5 years. :) Adjusted for inflation, I imagine they're comparable.

(Arcanum did too but its budget was significantly less than Fallout's)

At some point you just have to say "okay, we're done now". And cut features if necessary, something you've spoken in praise of when it comes from your "g-d".
They cut the day/night cycle and npc schedules and that was good. They didn't cut the two extra companions and intend to deliver them later. Sounds like a "ran out of money" issue to me.

lurker3000

Arcane
All this talk about cutting features and running out of money is pointless.

Mods will fix it all.

Arkeus

Arcane
They cut the day/night cycle and npc schedules and that was good. They didn't cut the two extra companions and intend to deliver them later. Sounds like a "ran out of money" issue to me.
I am actually taking them at their words when they say "we promised to deliver the game to the retailer end of june" and "our studios are packed with CDs".

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I am actually taking them at their words when they say "we promised to deliver the game to the retailer end of june" and "our studios are packed with CDs".
They knew how much work was left to be done and chose June instead of July or August or September. There was no publisher holding a a figurative gun to their head saying "release it in this quarter or else."

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Oq5K5XI.jpg

:negative:

Also where is my pirated edition?

I just wanted to add a question to the list.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Arewethereyet?Arewethereyet?Arewethereyet?Arewethereyet?Arewethereyet?Arewethereyet?Arewethereyet?Arewethereyet?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom