Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Original Sin characters

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Ok, I'm going to be replaying the game from the beginning after more than a month of absence. What characters are the most interesting to play around with/fuck with? Not gimped or fucked, but I had with one of my characters, a Knight that specialized in Two Handed weapons, wielding a bigass sword, smack people when fully buffed with rage and such for a metric FUCK TON. Basically went all strength. Still, I'd like to give a go with magic on him and what not.

Never really crafted either. How useful is it?
Is there a two handed fighter that can make use of assassin skills or something?

Two characters I played last time were a battle mage that used 2 handed weapons and a knight that used 2 handed weapons. The battle mage focused on fire spells mostly (haste was fucking awesome for my knight) and could do some damage too, but eventually just mostly stuck to casting after a while.

What does the codex recommend for character building?

Darkion

Augur

Depends of how much you invest on the skill. I found it useful in my two playthroughs, for things like:

Add elemental/poison damage to weapons
Boost weapon damage and armor protection
Create High end potions
Use rubies to add all four elemental protections to armor (Depends of skill up to 20% for each item)
Create scrolls and skillbooks
Creating Unlock Magic scrolls
Using nails to give any boots the non-skid

Is there a two handed fighter that can make use of assassin skills or something?

A 2-H fighter can use the non-dagger Scoundrel skills, but they rely on Dexterity, so not really a good thing unless you skip points in STR and CON to boost it. All assassin weapon skills are dagger-based, so greatsword backstabbing is not possible.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Yes, crafting can be extremely useful and profitable, especially for creating magic skill books, voodoo dolls (consumable that deals immense piercing damage at extreme range + high chance of Bleeding for 0 AP), turning shitty health potions into good ones, crafting more special arrows, etc.

It is however an immense pain in the ass storing crafting materials, since you have to drag items into containers one by one and they can't be sorted inside the container unless you do it manually. Also, sometimes identical items won't stack after you've tried to combine one or more of them, or for other unknown reasons. Example: You drag a single needle from your inventory onto a stack of 7 needles in your storage chest, and the game tries to combine them into lockpicks instead of stacking them. Okay, no problem, I'll just drag them both into my inventory and use the inventory sorting function to make them stack.

Nope. That needle is forever ostracized from other needles.

There's a lot of fiddling about with D:OS crafting, perhaps too much. Still, it's an intricate and rewarding system, especially when you can find recipe books and experiment to make your own (that's how I learned to make voodoo dolls, I just figured it out logically).

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Crafting is incredibly powerful, I dunno why there's so much flak about it in the thread. Yeah, the inventory interface is kinda shitty for that, but the resulting weapon (and note that you need both blacksmithing & crafting to make melee weapons - blacksmithing to make them, crafting to sharpen them) are many times better than the shit you'll find in the chests. And weapons are pretty much the only thing you want to craft - scrolls & potions can be just bought, it's not like you're starved for money, and the crafted items are generally only useful in the early-early game (with only exception probably being the super-rabbit rings for melee fighters, but even those don't last past the midgame). The only issue here is that some items have randomly applied buffs when crafted at skill level of 5 and, well, not all those buffs are equal. For example, at crafting 5 a bow may give you dexterity, speed or max ap bonus. Max ap bonus is crap (because it doesn't scale with the level), dexterity bonus is good but redundant if you want to apply a tormented soul to that weapon, speed bonus is awesome. And so on.

http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=506737

You can always check stuff like this to know the available options.

As for the characters:

My personal favorite archetype is an armored rogue. Basically, you start with 8 dex, 7 str and then you go on with the dex & speed, never pumping more points into strength. You do invest into the shield skill, though (3-4 levels, depends on your tastes) and you wear a lot of strength-boosting equipment so you can wear shields (you go with shield&dagger, obviously) and metal helmet-gloves-boots (armor is a no-no, it slows you too much). So you deal as much damage as a normal rogue (with a decently crafted dagger - as much as a 2-handed knight) and also you're incredibly survivable - high armor, high defense, good blocking rate. And, if you want, you can also pump man-at-arms to 3 so you can cast Nullify Resistances (which is the most broken warrior skill and, since it doesn't last too long, you nearly can't have them enough in your party). This all works because strength bonuses are rather common on the equipment, so it's not that hard to reach 12 strength that way (the best 12-strength shield I saw provided 42% blocking chance which is more than enough).

There isn't a way to do reverse build, unfortunately. All rogue's skill require either a dagger or maxed-out dexterity to be efficient. So that 2-handed guy won't benefit much from rogue's skills. I guess you can try to take 8 str, 7 dex and, without further pumping of dex, raise it up via items to sufficient levels just so you can wear good leather armor (and benefit from extra mobility). But I'm not sure if it is worth it because it can be achieved by easier means - once again, super-rabbit rings (which eventually provide something like +1.5 to your movement each) or any other items with similar enchantments (boots at crafting 5, for example).

For the battlemage build, I prefer splashing - I think that trying to do a full-hybrid isn't that viable in this game, but splashing is ok. So, if you prioritize strength, you go with 8 str, 7 int starting stats and you don't touch intelligence after that. You don't pump it via items either (apart from the cloaks - one of the benefits of such splashing is that all magical cloaks in the game require int, so by splashing you kinda open up an extra item slot; I think that pretty much every character should have 7 int for that reason - magical cloaks can add +1 to both your willpower and bodybuilding and that's kinda awesome), you just focus on strength. And, in terms of magic, you pick 1 point in each school (maybe 2 in Earth & Water - they're more tolerable to low int and have good buffs at level 2) and that's it. And instead of casting battle spells, you focus on buffs - because they, unlike combat magic, profit much less from having higher than required int. So as long as you have 100% chance to cast them, they're as good as it gets (apart from the cooldowns). So it's kinda cleric-type character.

If you prioritize int on your battlemage, then you make him pretty much the same as an armored rogue - 8 int, 7 str, no further str pumps, just rock on with the shield. Once again, it combines great utility of a mage with the survivability of a warrior.

And, as for the pure mages, I think they're at their best when you, instead of focusing particular schools, just go for the archemages - getting 3 skill levels in all 5 schools costs you as much as getting 5 skill levels at 2 schools. But, because the majority of high level spells are actually awful, you gain much more by going the 5 school route. The only schools that are worth maxing out are either water or fire. And, well, you have enough skill points to do 4 schools on 3 and one on 5.

As for the rangers & rogues - another option they have is to splash for each other. You don't even need to invest much into it - just 2 points for each will suffice. Ranger gains access to the invisibility, couple of self-cures and a charming touch (so he has 2 charms). Maybe even the summon. Rogue gains access to the tactical retreat (cheap teleport), couple of healing spells and, most importantly, the rapture (so he also has 2 charms). My party had both rogue and ranger who splashed for each other and, well, 4 charm is a fucking imba. That may be too powerful, though.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Yeah, it occurred to me when I reached the fight with
Braccus Rex
that four charms would come in awfully handy.

Actually, make that six now that Bairdotr is available. :troll:

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Very, though slightly less after the recent patches that made it impossible to get crafting skills easily on random henchmen.
In general, the best crafted weapons will be better than anything you find randomly.

Well, any character can make use of any skill you put levels into of course, though you can only backstab with daggers.

Two characters I played last time were a battle mage that used 2 handed weapons and a knight that used 2 handed weapons. The battle mage focused on fire spells mostly (haste was fucking awesome for my knight) and could do some damage too, but eventually just mostly stuck to casting after a while.

What does the codex recommend for character building?
Elemental mages are the strongest characters, particularly with the glass cannon trait. In general I'd say Fire > Water > Air > Earth in terms of strength. Witchcraft has very good spells at low levels and high levels, but nothing much good in the middle. Tenebrium is the best weapon skill (though you don't get it for a while), so there's not much reason to put more than one or two points in one or two handed weapons. Rogue skills kind of suck other than Charm and I suppose the self-haste skill. Man-at-Arms and Marksman are both pretty good, though making a pure fighter or archer is kind of gimping yourself.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Elemental mages are the strongest characters, particularly with the glass cannon trait. In general I'd say Fire > Water > Air > Earth in terms of strength.
I'd say Air+Water is way stronger then any other combination just because of rain+stun/freeze combos available from 1st level and viable for the whole game. Earth and fire have wonderful 4th level Boulder Bash and Small Fireball though, so you definitely should invest at least one point in every school.

Perkel

Arcane
crafting is ok in this game.

As archer you have ton of useful arrows
As healer you can craft most of potions and its cheap
As malee fighter armors and weapons are usually better that what you find in chests and you can further customize them
As mage ton of scrolls and stuff

It is long proccess though. Fiddling with each ingredient can take some time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom