Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

SniperHF

Arcane
Combat should not be slowed down so much by animations that you already watched a million times
AND NOTHING WAS CHANGED

For the EE I understand why they kept them, speeding them up creates issues with the existing animations. Not much excuse for D:OS 2 though since most everything was redone anyway. I've always got the impression that this is one of those things some devs get locked in a bubble about and don't notice how annoying it is. Similar to how everyone seems to think first person games with 60% of your screen blurred by depth of field post processing looks good.

Murk

Arcane
Having beat the Braccus fight on honor mode with 2 different builds (and only 2 chars) with no cheesing and no power-gaming (didn't go to Silverglen to overlevel) I can honestly say that you don't need to cheese it.

You can also not wait for the dialog and initiate the battle yourself, as I did.

You can stack fire resist on him if you want to, but I found that was also unnecessary. Also, you can buy multiple resurrect scrolls from magic vendors (Arhu, the witch lady in the inn, etc.).

The lieutenants are much weaker than before (not sure if they have lower HP, or just the power difference is huge now) and they go down easily if you just focus direct damage on them. The most dangerous, I think, is a combination of the twins-by-fire-joined and the poison spew of he ghoul (that used to guard the lighthouse) causing additional explosions.

Use ice elemental damage and you're pretty good to go, and don't forget to use the ghoul's ooze against him as a source of fire.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Having beat the Braccus fight on honor mode with 2 different builds (and only 2 chars) with no cheesing and no power-gaming (didn't go to Silverglen to overlevel) I can honestly say that you don't need to cheese it.

You can also not wait for the dialog and initiate the battle yourself, as I did.

You can stack fire resist on him if you want to, but I found that was also unnecessary. Also, you can buy multiple resurrect scrolls from magic vendors (Arhu, the witch lady in the inn, etc.).

The lieutenants are much weaker than before (not sure if they have lower HP, or just the power difference is huge now) and they go down easily if you just focus direct damage on them. The most dangerous, I think, is a combination of the twins-by-fire-joined and the poison spew of he ghoul (that used to guard the lighthouse) causing additional explosions.

Use ice elemental damage and you're pretty good to go, and don't forget to use the ghoul's ooze against him as a source of fire.

Best tactic for me was to charm the fire twins. While he can't harm Braccus, he gets a lot of attention from him, giving you time to finish off all the other minions. Arrows of Charm & charm spell combined make it fairly easy.

Murk

Arcane
"Rapture" is a great spell, IMO, and I've come to find that burning a level or two to get skill level 1 in magic disciplines other than your main is well worth it -- especially water (heal, rain, freeze) and earth (oil, spider, baldurdash). Even if you are making a non-INT char, having regen for 1 skill point is great. Also, rain + lightning wand = stun a whole crowd every turn for 3-4 AP cost. It's great.

Witchcraft is pretty good for oath of desecration + leech + summon skeleton; the skeleton summon is especially good as a decoy to gather up enemies for a poison bomb (though spider works too, but gets less hits and takes up more space.) Fire doesn't seem very good until at least tier 2; firefly is cool, but you can replicate the effect much easier with midnight oil + fire wand. Haste doesn't last very long, and +2 to perception is kind of... meh, unless you are a ranger or specifically hunting for traps. Still, not many other level 1 fire spells so I guess you might as well. I did open up to Immolation a bit when I realized the 25% resistance it gives you -- if you plan/gear right, you can basically turn it into a healing spell.

With sufficent int, you can also perma lock some characters with blitz bolt -- it's cooldown is low, and its chance to stun gets high enough to work almost every time on non-boss enemies.

Anyway, I'm dicking around with both chars being zombie this run and it's pretty cool -- until a stray fire arrow/ball flies in and your party of fume-huffers gets nearly wiped. Still, it's pretty cool as a heal+ trap strat. Nick's a nice summon too in this setup, since he also heals from poison and can be a good tank in that design (spider, too).

In the immaculate fight in the temple (when Loic wants you to sacrifice a chicken) I had a neat little maneuver that worked out super well. They ran into an oil puddle and got slowed as they gathered around my spider. I then hit them with poison spores (healing my spider in the process), and do a battering ram through with the fighter char who is healed in the process, who then uses a flare scroll and suddenly 4 enemies go up in flames from combined poison + phys + fire damage.

The weird ass "will this work?' combinations are just as good now as they were when I first played this game.

I did notice though that since I first played the vanilla version however long ago when it first came out, a lot of skills have been removed. I recall there being at least 2 healing water spells and 2 'whirlwind' style man-at-arms skills. I like the change, and having few but important skills with good synergies is better than just fire bolt->fire ball-> fire orb -> fire storm.

edit: one more rambling thought -- con bonuses are honestly better at healing than straight up healing spells are (for the most part). Inspire, water of life, and food that gives even temporary +1 con is really good for a quick burst of % based healing that you get to retain after the max HP bonus goes away.

Last edited:

Hyperion

Arcane
I think my biggest gripe with the game was that Sword and Board Man-At-Arms builds felt mostly useless compared to a two-hand build, which just dominated in terms of damage yet remained sufficiently tanky for the entirety of the game. My typical strategy for Braccus was to wait for him to walk to the far side of the room, for more space and time to position the group. 3 of the 4 would go towards the steps leading to the Ghoul with the beefcake Warrior off to the side. Always cast Rain before initiating the battle, this weakens the fire guy before the fight starts, saving your Water magic user a turn.

Then, it becomes a mix of luck, and a race against time to cast a fire elemental as close to the center as possible in hopes of it eating the brunt of the Meteor Storm, and distracting the Twins. Or just have some fire resist on your Man-At-Arms guy, drink a Fire Resist potion, and hope for the best. The archer fires an explosive arrow at the Ghoul, mangling him, and destroying the poison goo in the process. If casting Rain at the start of the fight functioned properly, the Twins should be easily frozen and taken out of commission with a Freezing Arrow, or Ice Shard spell. Another option is to fire Water Arrows to create a pool, and one of the many forms of electrifying to stun it.

Beefcake off to the side Charges right at the Baron and 1v1's him. If you're lucky (the game likes making you miss at 85%+ chance to hit), he'll go down before the Ghoul. Main job is to weaken him while your ranged guys take out Lighthouse Ghoul, who's fairly pathetic at this point. Once those 2 are down, the Twins should be a free kill as it should never take a turn.

If you manage to survive the bullshit fusillade of Meteor Storm, it's one of the game's better fights.

I recall there being at least 2 healing water spells and 2 'whirlwind' style man-at-arms skills. I like the change, and having few but important skills with good synergies is better than just fire bolt->fire ball-> fire orb -> fire storm.

Funny, I miss having the old skill set, double whirlwind included. Man-At-Arms feels a lot more boring now that those can't be used back to back for a sweet dervish combo. The Beginner, Intermediate, and Master tiers sucked a lot of fun out of it as well. Abilities that you could have by the middle-end of Act I now can't be gotten till you unlock the Elemental stores in your base.

Last edited:

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Another annoying thing is the odd mix of turn based combat while everything else is in real time. Opening your char screen, or the options menu, doesn't pause the game which feels real odd in a TB game, as you can get dragged into a fight while doing inventory management. I don't like to be hurried when I am playing a TB RPG. Does D:OS 2 also work like that?

Murk

Arcane
Hyperion you can pseudo-sequence break by going to advanced areas, as the NPC vendors will have higher tiered skill books. I do this usually in Silverglen, for how easy it is, but you can also go to Hunter's Edge (assuming you don't die to the spiders on the way.)

You can also get some easy money by stealing some of the better "loot on tables" in the advanced areas too.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I don't get the devs' problem with animations boost, I played D:OS EE with speedhacks because fuck me enduring this slugfest (they're also p.handy in games with a lot of walking).
Nothing broke, time saved.
srsly lazy devs
almost as bad (if not worse) than unskippable cutscenes or forced QTE becase "we devs love this shit"

Murk

Arcane
The movement speed thing is a pain, yeah. I found myself using haste more as a utility of going from point A to B than for bonus AP in combat.

Though it is pretty infuriating how when not in combat you lose buff duration because your character is still in the skill animation, and you cannot walk yet.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
The movement speed thing is a pain, yeah. I found myself using haste more as a utility of going from point A to B than for bonus AP in combat.

Though it is pretty infuriating how when not in combat you lose buff duration because your character is still in the skill animation, and you cannot walk yet.

Yeah they should have gone the Fallout route and allow the player to enter TB mode when out of combat.

Also, there's an annoying UI glitch I experience, although it may be just me. I click on a quickslot and instead of activating skill/using item, I drag it with the mouse. Happens to me like 1 in 15 times I click on a slot.

Murk

Arcane
That happens to me too. I found if I click near the bottom of the quickslot, I avoid that problem entirely (or just use keyboard shortcuts).

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
Just finished the game yesterday (Tactician). Combat and character design made this game very fun for me, for the most part. However I can see how people that has played through it twice ends up a bit sick of it. Combat animations are slow, Inventory management is hell, there is simply too much useless stuff dropping, and you are not sure if you'll need the money in endgame, you waste lots of time identifying and selling crap. Which makes you feel stupid when you end up with 100K gold you have no idea what to spend on. Overall this is a great game, which does right the important things. Game system is well designed compared to other cRPGs, and *not* obsessed over balance. Combat is tactical, mistakes make you die, and there's little inflation. Story was a bit meh, writing was mixed, and the pacing was awful in the beginning, but who cares about that when mechanics work.

Also, this, lol. http://www.gamespot.com/articles/there-was-a-secret-reward-hiding-in-divinity-origi/1100-6431879/

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
After all the post-release balance tweaks and much-maligned nerfs (they go way too far, even for me) I don't know how you can say they're not obsessed with balance. :lol:

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
After all the post-release balance tweaks and much-maligned nerfs (they go way too far, even for me) I don't know how you can say they're not obsessed with balance. :lol:

I've only played the EE in tactician so I don't know how it was before, but many things feel mega-powerful and you can get them early, like Rapture skill. Also, the ability to inflict mass damage from late Expert Marksman skills surprised me greatly. AEs with decent range and damage around 700-800 per enemy, it made me release endorphins every time I used Rain of Arrows, or especially Arrow Spray when in point blank range. My archer became my most fun character to play in the endgame thanks to them.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Alright I got some issues with this game.

Combat? Great, lots of fun even if it's somewhat slow at times. Easily the high point of the game. +2
Crafting is sorta a pain, not a huge issue. +0
I also like that doors aren't made of titanium diamond rock and you can actually destroy them instead of having to be slave to a thief to lockpick everything. +1
Dungeon crawling is fun too. Another +1.

By biggest beef is with the story. -2

I'm about level 15 and in the forest and... I just don't find it compelling. And I am not finding the lore compelling either.

The game tries to present itself as something big and grand but for whatever reason after you kill that first major boss it kinda... falls off. I half-expected him to have a more major and the fight WAS challenging but... it was kinda anti-climatic that he just died.

I don't find Leandra interesting at all. She's like a boring Saturday morning cartoon character.

None of the side quests or general pace of the story interests me.

The Void Dragon as presented doesn't inspire me to go fight it.

I found the initial quest of investigating the Councillor Jake much more interesting and was kinda sad that it just turned into a red herring.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Pretty much the reason I couldn't get through it as well, Dragon Fire Heart (I don't remember who this is except this shitty user name... yeah I don't remember who I am and my shitty user name either so fuck it). Narrative is bad, but what is has going on for it is that it plainly accepts its own superficiality. This is not something that pretends being very deep. You might say otherwise - the story has dramatic tones - but eh, these tones are all based off tropes. You just expect them, you're not meant to invest in them or question them. It's all bullshit and having a good time, pretty much. It can still be unnerving, no doubt, but again, at least it doesn't really pretend being more. There is no depth to be found, no coherent social forces, no psychological, moral or religious conflicts, no detailed history. I'm hoping the second game will go KoTOR2 on all of this and deconstruct that shit to no end. Depth can come out of breaking down superficiality, perhaps. If only through pain - the writing has to suffer, and you too have to suffer, you little shit

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
Pretty much the reason I couldn't get through it as well, Dragon Fire Heart (I don't remember who this is except this shitty user name... yeah I don't remember who I am and my shitty user name either so fuck it). Narrative is bad, but what is has going on for it is that it plainly accepts its own superficiality. This is not something that pretends being very deep. You might say otherwise - the story has dramatic tones - but eh, these tones are all based off tropes. You just expect them, you're not meant to invest in them or question them. It's all bullshit and having a good time, pretty much. It can still be unnerving, no doubt, but again, at least it doesn't really pretend being more. There is no depth to be found, no coherent social forces, no psychological, moral or religious conflicts, no detailed history. I'm hoping the second game will go KoTOR2 on all of this and deconstruct that shit to no end. Depth can come out of breaking down superficiality, perhaps. If only through pain - the writing has to suffer, and you too have to suffer, you little shit

It is as it should be. A story and writing behind an RPG. Emphasis on *behind*. It's true that a few games have managed to build story & characters that were memorable, and made games greater. But once writing becomes relevant, the dangers of taking yourself too seriously are infamous... I'd rather have a light-hearted story that I can pretty much ignore than risk turning a good RPG into yet another lacrimogen pseudo-novel with scripted-romance lurking behind every corner.

My only two real problems with this (otherwise excellent) game are:

Pacing: 2-3 fights, then fucking HOURS of walking around and talking because trying to fight anything out of town is impossible. "Okay" I think. "Let's put aside fighting for a while and let's focus into this murder mystery thingie, it should be fun". But no. I suddenly find myself teleported to the end of time dimension to find out I'm Jesus and must avoid creation itself from being retroactively unmade. Still once I'm back to the normal world, can't defeat 3 skeletons. Confusing, to say the least. Other "broken" pacing times that made the game boring happened in Hiberheim and in the mines.

Slow combat due to animations: really, a fight with 4 goblins that can in no way be a threat shouldn't take me 25 minutes of watching the same animations over and over. They should be skippable.

Minor issues like inventory, the huge amount of useless junk everywhere etc are not important. Combat is good. Character building is fun. Solid game.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Can you provide an example of RPGs which take themselves too seriously in the writing department and become drab because of it? I see this argument very often but I haven't seen any examples.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
For instance:

PillarsOfEternity08.jpg

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Right, PoE... I kinda block the traumatic experience that it was. Maybe they should've read Descartes and not bother with that line of thinking that is in the screenshot :p

DraQ

Arcane

It is as it should be. A story and writing behind an RPG. Emphasis on *behind*. It's true that a few games have managed to build story & characters that were memorable, and made games greater. But once writing becomes relevant, the dangers of taking yourself too seriously are infamous... I'd rather have a light-hearted story that I can pretty much ignore than risk turning a good RPG into yet another lacrimogen pseudo-novel with scripted-romance lurking behind every corner.

My only two real problems with this (otherwise excellent) game are:

Pacing: 2-3 fights, then fucking HOURS of walking around and talking because trying to fight anything out of town is impossible. "Okay" I think. "Let's put aside fighting for a while and let's focus into this murder mystery thingie, it should be fun". But no. I suddenly find myself teleported to the end of time dimension to find out I'm Jesus and must avoid creation itself from being retroactively unmade. Still once I'm back to the normal world, can't defeat 3 skeletons. Confusing, to say the least. Other "broken" pacing times that made the game boring happened in Hiberheim and in the mines.
The thing here is that DOS' pacing problems follow directly from its narrative problems.

The simple fact that you're spending a lot of time NOT braining cultists, undead, ORKZ and all sorts of wildlife or setting them on fire forces you to become invested in the story, it's themes, etc. just to follow the plot and do the quests, so the story, and themes, etc. - which as we have already have established are kind of crap and nauseatingly infantile at times - come to the front and become blockers of gameplay you want. Even though structurally, on purely abstract level most quests are expertly crafted (let's just never speak of two guys one stone, though, especially when you can get two stones at this point), you are not playing abstract structures, you're playing very concrete quests using those structures and if you can't care for the content due to its quality, it becomes the time you are forced to waste before you can teleport ooze barrels on top of guys you've set aflame again.

*IF* DOS story was engrossing, its pacing would be near perfect.
If.

The "suddenly the End of Time" twist was actually VERY welcome as it broke the monotony and introduced some story elements that weren't worn out cliches or saccharine overdoses.

I wouldn't say that DOS took itself too seriously as opposed to being more humorous, nor would I claim the opposite.
No - sadly, it somehow managed to do both at the same time, with wit and drama mutually diluting each other into irrelevance.
Compare Divinity 2 which provided both more poignant (if hammy) story and drama:

AND far stronger humour:

(Not to mention art direction and such).

It doesn't matter whether you're aiming for comedy, drama or just dispensing phat lewt - you need contrast (and thus moderation) in what you're trying to do. Valve understood this (albeit in the context of launching headcrabs at crowbar wielding physicists out of various dark openings), Larian managed to fail consistently on all three fronts in DOS.
It makes it just plain difficult to keep playing and finish DOS, despite it's numerous highlights including various mechanics, beyond awesome music (as usual) and so on.

Can you provide an example of RPGs which take themselves too seriously in the writing department and become drab because of it? I see this argument very often but I haven't seen any examples.
I wouldn't say that seriousness in and of itself is a problem, however, when combined with mediocrity and blandness of story elements it can nuke an otherwise perfectly salvageable or even great game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom