Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

SniperHF

Arcane
Can you provide an example of RPGs which take themselves too seriously in the writing department and become drab because of it? I see this argument very often but I haven't seen any examples.

D:OS 2's act 1 gets close to that. I don't think it's over the line to where it's a 100% negative for everyone but man they get close. They way over-corrected. I'm hopping the later acts we haven't seen yet reorient a bit due to setting changes.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Can you provide an example of RPGs which take themselves too seriously in the writing department and become drab because of it? I see this argument very often but I haven't seen any examples.
Every RPG ever? I have to think way back to stuff like Eye of the Beholder to remember a game that didn't bore the shit out of me with amateurish writing posing as something worthwhile.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Witcher 3 was an exception though. I never thought I would see characters and 'scenes' in a game that were at least the quality of a tv show until I played that game. Also Blackguards at least seemed like it was written by a professional writer. Every other game seems like they are written by a try hard game tester or programmer or someone who thinks they can try their hand at writing a story. They are too wordy, and too storyish. All the dialogue is written like it is part of a story, and not like it is something someone would actually say. There is no narrative, just endless monologue or dialogue. And every NPC not only has too much to say, but will be unrealistically chatty even when you first meet them. And obvious lore is obvious, and is shoe horned into every sentence. They have no clue what suspension of disbelief even is. I never feel like I am watching some guy tell me about his woes, I just feel like I am watching some low polygon video game character reading his script. The standards in gaming is far too fucking low.

gaussgunner

Arcane
The simple fact that you're spending a lot of time NOT braining cultists, undead, ORKZ and all sorts of wildlife or setting them on fire forces you to become invested in the story, it's themes, etc. just to follow the plot and do the quests, so the story, and themes, etc. - which as we have already have established are kind of crap and nauseatingly infantile at times - come to the front and become blockers of gameplay you want. Even though structurally, on purely abstract level most quests are expertly crafted
It's even worse than that long-ass castle setpiece in Divine Divinity where the imp takes your pyramids just to be a dick, then you're forced to perform easy hidden object fetch quests for a 12-year-old. That only takes 20 minutes if you don't overthink it. In DOS it's 4 hours here, a whole day there... fucking A.

(let's just never speak of two guys one stone, though, especially when you can get two stones at this point)
Recycled from the DivDiv tutorial level. Like a lot of the story. Zombie Jake, another murder mystery, I forget all the details, I just remember there was a lot. I know DOS is a prequel but still.... 10 YEARS!! should be enough time to write better, original stories.
There is only one word for this...
:decline:

you can teleport ooze barrels on top of guys you've set aflame again.
DOS's other redeeming feature :D

The "suddenly the End of Time" twist was actually VERY welcome as it broke the monotony and introduced some story elements that weren't worn out cliches or saccharine overdoses.
It broke the 5th wall, or something, for me. Coming from halfway through DivDiv, thinking I'm just a Marked One (marked for death), now I find out I'm a god. Usually a red flag.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Bioware's writing is in the "so bad it's amusing" category and I wouldn't say they take it seriously, all their plots are basically the same and it's not very serious. They are also on the pandering side of things. PoE is the best example by far.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Ok so I'm playing this still.

I've learned that if I don't take the story seriously but accept it for what it is (B-movie quality humor) then it's better than I initially thought. With that in mind along with the great combat it's a 9/10 game easily.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Bioware's writing is in the "so bad it's amusing" category and I wouldn't say they take it seriously, all their plots are basically the same and it's not very serious. They are also on the pandering side of things. PoE is the best example by far.
Bioware's writing post BG2 is so bad but not amusing.

And what exactly does PoE have to do with Bioware?

toduah

Novice
Patron

What is the redeeming quality of BG? "rose tinted glasses" i was 10-ish when i played BG 1 or 2 (meh, don't remember which one it was, they're both shit.)

I LOVED Fallout, could never get into BG, what am I missing?

Mustawd

What is the redeeming quality of BG? "rose tinted glasses" i was 10-ish when i played BG 1 or 2 (meh, don't remember which one it was, they're both shit.)

You're missing a very well produced game that fucked it all up with horrible RTwP. So until it gets ported to ToEE engine in 2025, not much.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity

I'm not sure why you value an opinion you made as a 10 year old. Back then I thought getting bit by a fly would turn me into a superhero.

I'm also not sure how you can make a judgment about two games when you've only played one of them...

As for what you are missing. Well, there are huge gameplay differences between the two, both micro- and macro-wise. Might as well be two different sub-genres.

Also, what Mustawd said about RTwP.

pippin

Take in mind that what people often say about BG being awesome or something like that, they are often talking about bg2. While they share many things, BG1 and 2 are very different.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
There's nothing extraordinary about BG1's writing in of itself, but it is so unobtrusive and literally serviceable (with no inherent criticism, it really is just serviceable in the most neutral sense) that in that way it's fine. BG1 is not a bad game, it just suffers from structural problems.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Game was way too easy, but also too simple. Too much derp from fire on oil etc. It needed a bit more depth. I liked the combat but it just needed more. I am hoping DOS2 will do that.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Cool. I am thinking the teleport spell might be more useful if you can send stuff to a different level and it has to run around to get back. It is a cool combat system, so much potential. I hope they get it right. Would love there to be more standard spells too, debuffs etc.

Septaryeth

Augur
BTW people how is expanded edition ?

I played only vanilla.

Got my bro playing the enhanced edition and I think he's stuck in the mirror maze when you are escaping from...the red ugh...whatever her name is.
Funny thing is apparently the maze is generated randomly so he couldn't even search for a solution online.
There are also new mini dungeons and battles involve around Strife and the red lady he mind controlled.
They also changed the ending for the twins thus you have to choose, unlike the classics. ;)

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
The gameplay in this game is so ridiculously fun ! I's the first time I see a RPG with combat system that beat TOEE's in fun and maybe even in tactical depth. So here I am playing it again and having a blast despite a story, lore and art which are to say the least not my cup of tea...

Anyway, I would like to give my rogue some magic powers and hesitate between aerothurge and witchcraft. Knowing I have also a point in marksman, whgat do you think guiys, should I stay and ficus on scoundrel and marksman ? Add some wichcraft ? Or some air lemental magic ?

vmar

Savant
Go for it, giving pretty much any character a point or two in some magic skills is always beneficial.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom