Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

gaussgunner

Arcane
I'd agree with you if this game didn't make you slog through hours of bullshit to get to the real fighting.

The story aspect could've been better too. You can tell the writers were like "fuck it, this is recycled filler material from Divine Divinity". They should've taken the less-is-more approach. Instead of 88000 lines of intra-party banter and blathering townsfolk, limit it to a few thousand lines of meaningful dialogue with important NPCs, with actual game-altering choices'n'consequences and easter eggs worth finding. And they could've done full VO the first time, not that I give a shit.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I'd agree with you if this game didn't make you slog through hours of bullshit to get to the real fighting.

The story aspect could've been better too. You can tell the writers were like "fuck it, this is recycled filler material from Divine Divinity". They should've taken the less-is-more approach. Instead of 88000 lines of intra-party banter and blathering townsfolk, limit it to a few thousand lines of meaningful dialogue with important NPCs, with actual game-altering choices'n'consequences and easter eggs worth finding. And they could've done full VO the first time, not that I give a shit.

To cut down some of the dialog, have both Hunters have the AI personality of loyal. Skip lots of meaningless dialog between them.

The music is pretty rad as well. Love it, very memorable.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I hate the story and dialogue, although I hate it in all games so I am used to it now. The problem in DoS is that you can't just ignore it and follow quest markers, you end up having to read stuff sometimes unless you just keep alt tabbing to a walkthrough. I would much rather it get to the action sooner too, but at least the combat is satisfying.

gaussgunner

Arcane
I would much rather it get to the action sooner too, but at least the combat is satisfying.

I wonder if you can play through the bullshit until you're level 4-5 and save a "template" from which to start combat runs. Is there some way to change your hunters' classes and re-allocate skill points from the ground up? There's those magic mirrors in the Safe Space but those only let you change their appearance right?

Or maybe there are some good combat scenario mods...

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
To cut down some of the dialog, have both Hunters have the AI personality of loyal. Skip lots of meaningless dialog between them.

I chose AI personality: NONE for both. You telling me Loyal is less than None? :lol:

I believe None still triggers dialog between them since it lets to manually choose options.

Loyal skips that.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
As much as I find the story boring, I have fun playing this game again. It's very entertaining. Pleasant dialogues, funny quest, etc... Also the enhanced edition do enhance the experience. Of course I would prefer grimer atmosphere and art but frankly, it's not like there have been so many other isometric turn based RPG with fun combats to put your hand on lately...

Last edited:

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Which two classes should I pick for the two main characters? Fire/earth wizard and Knight?

Quatlo

Arcane
Also, Archers are probably the best pure dps class in the game. Their damage is insane, they are ranged, have decent aoe, getting 1 rank in scoundrel (and you dont really need to put points anywhere else since you are ranged and never get hit by status effects and other crap) for haste allows you to kite shit all over the place.
Backstabs with bully on knocked down people melt them too, but some assembly is required for it to work. I loved freezing all ground and hovering above knocked down enemies.
Pretty much most of the shit is viable, it just depends how cheezy you want to get. I stack all poison/exploding/tar barrels in town and abuse them when I somehow meet an encounter that counters my weird build.

Deleted Member 16721

Haven't played the original, but the EE is hot buttered RPG. Don't think of re-playing it, do it! MAKE...YOUR DREAMS...COME TRUE! :)

gaussgunner

Arcane
Bros,

I completed DOS when it was just released, and never played the Enhanced Edition. I am thinking of replaying the enhanced edition. What exactly changed in DOS EE?

Decline...?

I've never played original edition, but I know there's been some balance adjustment, all new voiceovers (def. decline), console controller support (not too dumbed down, just awkward), and coop mode with controllers (cool if you can find someone willing to play).

Deleted Member 16721

Co-op with controllers is excellent. In terms of being a PC RPG that 2 players can play in local co-op with controllers makes it essentially an *extremely* rare thing.

SniperHF

Arcane
Chaotic_Heretic

Mainly I'd only recommend replaying it if you just simply want to replay it. The EE isn't much a reason.

Decline...?

I've never played original edition, but I know there's been some balance adjustment, all new voiceovers (def. decline), console controller support (not too dumbed down, just awkward), and coop mode with controllers (cool if you can find someone willing to play).

Some other things:
EE is easier overall (even with tactician) so that's the most decline thing about it. Though if you don't mind creating artificial difficulty, just don't use grenades and it will pretty well even out.

However there are some nice interface improvements and a fix to the backstabs by having an indicator.

The skills are a little more logical in the EE as well though Scoundrel gets massively shortchanged even beyond just the sneak changes.

Deleted Member 16721

EE is easier? Huh. More reason why RPGs need to add even more difficulty options and modes. The EE *was* a bit easy for my dad and I. We even 2-shotted the end boss, which surprised the heck out of me. :)

Aenra

will they fix it?

I don't remember how it's meant to go down with the necklace, but as far as patching goes, you're shit outta luck. There was supposed to be this one last, in the makes for some time, but it has been cancelled. What you get now is what will be. As to the why, i could only give you guesses, so will refrain.

will they fix it?

I don't remember how it's meant to go down with the necklace, but as far as patching goes, you're shit outta luck. There was supposed to be this one last, in the makes for some time, but it has been cancelled. What you get now is what will be. As to the why, i could only give you guesses, so will refrain.
Thankfully I had auto or quick save that wasn't too far back and redid the fights, got both necklaces and thus did my butthurt abate. I'm playing in tactician mode (and don't know what I'm doing), so redoing several fights isn't that straight-forward and effortless.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom