Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
As hard modes go this is kinda lame TBH, and not /all/ RPGs are like this.

D:OS is one of the most demanding RPGs in recent memory though. :M

That is, compared to every Shadowrun Returns (except the Hong Kong expansion), Wasteland 2, Dragon Age Inquisition. I'm pretty positive it beats Tyranny and Tides of Numenera as well.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
As hard modes go this is kinda lame TBH, and not /all/ RPGs are like this.

D:OS is one of the most demanding RPGs in recent memory though. :M

That is, compared to every Shadowrun Returns (except the Hong Kong expansion), Wasteland 2, Dragon Age Inquisition. I'm pretty positive it beats Tyranny and Tides of Numenera as well.

such kompetition

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
There are ways of dealing with fear like getting the spiritual trait, getting five ranks of leadership, or taking the courageous talent (if you're a reloader and not a runner).

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
There are ways of dealing with fear like getting the spiritual trait, getting five ranks of leadership, or taking the courageous talent (if you're a reloader and not a runner).

Indeed, which is the point that I have been making that Divinities systems always allow for several solutions to all kinds of problems.

Of course, they always come at a cost. If PJ complains about his toons getting freezed I am looking forward how he will deal with fear. If he doesn't want to put points into willpower cause he dislikes defense I doubt he wants to waste talent points on courageous (I think I gave it to all of my chars).

I didn't bother minmaxing traits.

Prime Junta

Have fun fighting demons causing fear status effect and watching your whole party run away on the first turn.

I took Courageous on most of my guys already. There aren't all that many talents worth taking anyway, so at a certain point it's kind of a no-brainer. On most characters (especially casters) talent points are a lot more valuable; getting to rank 4-5 on most of your casting talents costs a lot of 'em and has a big payback. I'm now getting to the point where Knight and Bairdotr have some talent points to spare, so I might put a few of them on defence.

Prime Junta

Honest question Darth Roxor: what is it you see here that you didn't see in Pillars?

From where I'm at, D:OS has Pillars beat only in encounter design and certain technical aspects (loading times etc); in every other notable way it's just... mediocre. The systems are simple rock-paper-scissors, the writing is sophomoric, the worldbuilding is barely even there, the maps are pure theme parks rather than even pretending to be a "real" world, the UI is clunky and unresponsive, the attribute system is so shallow it might as well not be there, the character system is entirely one-dimensional (you go with strength-based, intelligence-based, dex-based ranged, or dex-based melee and that literally is /it/), and so on.

I'm sure I haven't mastered it yet (only on level 14 at this time), but... what am I missing here? How is this not just the kind of safe, comfortable, unchallenging, not-exactly-bad-but-mediocre banality that the Codex is supposed to righteously hate?

Prime Junta

Honest question @Darth Roxor: what is it you see here that you didn't see in Pillars?

the fun

Can you elaborate? What specifically is fun about this, but isn't fun about Pillars?

For my part, I'm having occasional bits of fun here and there -- as stated, some of the fights are really well set up. But they're islands in a sea of tedious rote grind.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Can you elaborate? What specifically is fun about this, but isn't fun about Pillars?

the ability to summon an allahu akbar skeleton in the middle of a bunch of enemies standing in poison pools and blowing him up with a fireball

Prime Junta

Backer NPCs have to die. I just came across the Codexian goblins and they. are. fucking. stupid.

Pro: the entire game's writing is kind of dumb so they're not completely out of place.
Con: you can't just ignore them like the vanity NPCs in Pillars.

Prime Junta

You're not being very helpful here. So far I've gathered that your criteria for a great RPG include --

- easy
- yuck-yuck humour
- blowing shit up
- backer NPCs which you can also blow up

Was that it or was there something else?

Prime Junta

In the teleporter dungeon. Jesus fuck it's stupid and tedious. I'm starting to develop a real dislike for this game.

Edit: found the solution. srsly people, this is supposed to be :incline:?

Last edited by a moderator:

Prime Junta

You realise you can start the offensive with one char while the other's in dialogue, yes?

No, I did not realise that actually. That is kind of clever. Also not obvious.

Prime Junta you do realize that most are updating their txt rapidly and you will get quotations from this thread in your future reviews for years to come?

Mostly from people who can't be arsed/aren't able to write reviews themselves though.

Efe

Erudite
can anybody write reviews?
half the game is vanity npcs in pillars.
they both have banal stories but at least d:os respects your time rather than loading every npc like another page of a grand encyclopedia.

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
the encounter starts direct from dialogue,
Hahahahaha
This nigga

You realise you can start the offensive with one char while the other's in dialogue, yes?
I tried that and she was immune to damage.

In the teleporter dungeon. Jesus fuck it's stupid and tedious. I'm starting to develop a real dislike for this game.

Edit: found the solution. srsly people, this is supposed to be :incline:?
It's easy to ignore that dungeon.
Actually there is that chest inside right? Well. At least rats have funny dialogue in that dungeon.

Last edited:

Prime Junta

Okay, feeling a little mollified -- there was another really good fight.

Attenberah. Nicely set up tactical situation with the elementals in the back, the fast-moving strikers flying at you, the spirits countering your Charms, and Attenberah herself. Took a few tries to figure out a good tactic for this one: the key was to summon a skeleton in the doorway to keep the elementals out while I dealt with the rest of the bunch; Knight's Bull Rush was also crucial as it CCed most of the opposition in the first and most important round. From there on out it was fairly plain sailing -- took down Attenberah first, then mopped up most of the others with a fireball, and then it was just cleanup. Very satisfying fight!

Prime Junta

I tried that and she was immune to damage.

Yep in Tactician mode he has the invulnerability aura you have to take down by blowing up those crystals that keep it up. Prolly would have worked in pleb mode.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Backer NPCs have to die. I just came across the Codexian goblins and they. are. fucking. stupid.

Pro: the entire game's writing is kind of dumb so they're not completely out of place.
Con: you can't just ignore them like the vanity NPCs in Pillars.

Talk to DU and tell him to tell them to leave you the hell alone and they will.

I'd advise against killing them since there's a quest later.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom