Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Do they at least give you gold for finished quests?

I don't think you are swimming in gold. At least when you are not using one trick pony builds.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Don't approach combat like its a rogue like and you should suffer plenty of deaths to characters, at least through mid game which is about where I am at. Maybe it gets too easy later or once you are in your second play-through and meta cones in. At lower levels a solid 1-2 punch by a few archers can be devastating."

Nope. You only die lots if youa re stupid.

"I don't think you are swimming in gold. At least when you are not using one trick pony builds."

Nonsense. Gold is readily available.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
"Don't approach combat like its a rogue like and you should suffer plenty of deaths to characters, at least through mid game which is about where I am at. Maybe it gets too easy later or once you are in your second play-through and meta cones in. At lower levels a solid 1-2 punch by a few archers can be devastating."

Nope. You only die lots if youa re stupid.

"I don't think you are swimming in gold. At least when you are not using one trick pony builds."

Nonsense. Gold is readily available.

Fuck off. Also, you obviously don't attempt fighting anything above your level.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Fighting stuff 4 levels above you is fun, but you have to really exploit the fact that AI is stupid like that and really doesn't want to step on fire. Also, you get two shoted, so better :popamole:

imweasel

Also, complaining about stealing is kind of dumb. On my first playthrough I didn't steal anything that wasn't plot related, and I was still swimming in gold. Stealing might break the economy or whatever, but the economy is already kind of broken anyway.
Yup, the economy is broken and stealing is just a waste of time.

At least give us a cash sink Larian.

Zeriel

Arcane
With the way the healing spells work (no resources), the game should just max your health after combat. Just saves the player time as he/she will do it manually anyway and there are no times that this isn't viable (like if you had to rush into another encounter, or one was on its way to you with limited time for out of combat casting) :M.

Beds heal for free as well, so there's the town healing.

True. While we're at it, damaging spells and abilities are also "free", since they take no resources, so we might as well just make every enemy topple over as soon as you can see them. Likewise, dialogue options are pathetically without cost, and can be eliminated. I like the direction we're moving in here. You better be paying attention, Swen. This is the kind of feedback that improves your games. Don't fuck it up with your cargo cult bullshit like "gameplay".

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
With the way the healing spells work (no resources), the game should just max your health after combat. Just saves the player time as he/she will do it manually anyway and there are no times that this isn't viable (like if you had to rush into another encounter, or one was on its way to you with limited time for out of combat casting) :M.

Beds heal for free as well, so there's the town healing.

True. While we're at it, damaging spells and abilities are also "free", since they take no resources, so we might as well just make every enemy topple over as soon as you can see them. Likewise, dialogue options are pathetically without cost, and can be eliminated. I like the direction we're moving in here. You better be paying attention, Swen. This is the kind of feedback that improves your games. Don't fuck it up with your cargo cult bullshit like "gameplay".
:bro:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
The reputation system is damn weird.. Maybe it's just a one off incident, but seeing partner pass charm checks on immaculates. So we thought maybe should just barter - dump some junk and then kill them for EXP.
OK, set up for classic fireball, backstab. Partner opens up with ONE backstab and guess what? The immaculate told him to stop it. Yes, he was told to stop after backstabbing the guy once. -5 Rep. I checked the Rep. 45. LOL. You can literally just stab him 10 more times before he start combat or something? :lol: I launched an icebolt - no dice, he complained again, telling me to quit it. Despite being frozen completely solid. :lol:

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
True. While we're at it, damaging spells and abilities are also "free", since they take no resources, so we might as well just make every enemy topple over as soon as you can see them.

I hope you were trolling here. This is completely nonsensical. Healing spells are free -- outside of combat. That is the whole fucking point of the distinction, and why auto-healing outside of combat wouldn't change a fucking thing. It is the introduction of combat that makes healing spells a resource that you have to manage, since combat introduces the resource management mechanic (turns vs. AP vs. Enemy Attacks).

Your argument only makes sense if attacking enemies doesn't start the combat mechanic. It does, of course, which is the whole fucking point. That's why your flare spell is not a really a managed resource outside of combat, but is a managed resource during combat. Because it is the combat mechanic itself that introduces the requirement to manage it (and your other abilities) by virtue of limiting your AP.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Stop nitpicking, it's fun.
Konjad
adventureofsirkoony.jpg

DefJam101

Arcane
Volourn & Roguey

What are you guys trying to proof by nitpcking over tiny details in D:OS?
Has Roguey played the game yet? I haven't been following the thread. In any case, if he hasn't, there's not much point in him playing: he'll almost certainly hate the game, along with all of the other people who can't (or don't want to) see any value in crazy, carefree games made with real heart. Because unlike true ultradeep tactical Mensa spergfodder RPGs for neoGAF intellectuals, D:OS doesn't hold up well when broken down into its individual components, and really this type of forum credibility should be your primary concern when making a videogame. 3/10, better luck next time swenny

Anyway, it's a neat game. It's fun. Co-op, especially, is legit. Some of the writing could be improved, the loot is blah and I hate that you can't speed up combat animations

DefJam101

Arcane
I believe Grunker's point is that codexers despise teenage humour in a Bioware game, but think it's charming when it's in a Larian game.
Well, yeah. Any game that looks like a brightly animated children's movie, with a vibrant, upbeat soundtrack and sheep that jump and do little flips during their idle animation is, indeed, more charming than anything Bioware has ever produced. It's much easier to smile at dumb, lighthearted humor when it's placed in a dumb, lighthearted universe.

Full disclosure: I've never really played the Baldur's Gate games. Maybe they were charming.

Maybe I'm a gigantic faggot

Lhynn

Arcane
Yeah, just like your health is limited by your max hp.
Not exactly, but i dont think i have to explain to you how the mechanics work, you can figure it out on your own when you stop being a massive twat.
Also health is part of your resource managment pool, a very crucial part at that.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
Well, yeah. Any game that looks like a brightly animated children's movie, with a vibrant, upbeat soundtrack and sheep that jump and do little flips during their idle animation is, indeed, more charming than anything Bioware has ever produced. It's much easier to smile at dumb, lighthearted humor when it's placed in a dumb, lighthearted universe.
Yes.

DefJam101 said:
Full disclosure: I've never really played the Baldur's Gate games. Maybe they were charming.
They werent, but the first one was lighthearted for the most part.

DefJam101 said:
Yes, go play them, at least BG 2 deserves a playtrough. BG 1 is good if you are not dead inside and incapable of being optimistic about a game, as it has its rewarding moments. Sadly that rules out p. much everyone in this entire site.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
There was nothing charming about the Baldur's Gate games. Sometimes they were genuinely humorous but for the most part it was just retarded Bioware derp but with a certain freshness that somehow compensated for it. It grew old fast though, that's for sure. I haven't played a single Bioware game after Baldur's Gate 2, except for KOTOR, which i thought was a piece of shit.

Also:
Party animals
Exploskeletons
talking snowmen
robotic roosters
and the sneaking animations.

I have no problem with the tone, and a few moments have made me laugh, writing doesn't really feel like the focus of the game in any case.
Granted that makes attempts at seriousness feel awkward and out of place, but there isn't -that- much of it.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I believe Grunker's point is that codexers despise teenage humour in a Bioware game, but think it's charming when it's in a Larian game.

if baldur's gate 1 doesn't cut it as dumb and lighthearted then wtf is dumb and lighthearthed? it must be Pixar Movie+? (well d:os is i guess so i dunno)

and yeah i read your disclosure but since you were commenting on the game anyway i just chose to ignore it

maybe i'm a gigantic faggot

also, i don't have anything against dumb and lighthearted (like i said earlier a bunch of times), but d:os could have been written by any of us... there's nothing inventive or original about the slapstick, referencial humor it contains

i don't really give much of a fuck about it since the gameplay is kewl, but that's how it is

uaciaut

Augur
How much did Larian make off of this so far?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom