Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Doubt it. The only issues you cited were from the first comments you can glance at.
I read complaints on Larian's forums as well as SA.

Also capping resistance wouldn't affect Zombie. High resistance would decrease the amount of healing you get from Poison damage. Zombie issue is probably a bug.
I've read that zombie gives you +200% to poison resistance to give you that healing, in which case, the 80% cap is bringing it down.

And as far as Leech, it works fine. It was drastically OP before. Now it's not.
Now if you walk in blood you get healed a piddly dozens of points worth of health from what I've been told. It was overpowered, but now it doesn't seem like it's worth taking at all.

And behold! http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=546666#Post546666

Given that version 1.0.130 of the game made it so that resistances are hard-capped at 80% (which wasn't in the patch notes), I'm here to present a quick-fix mod that reverts it back to 200%.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/98u1en5jgqvo9pf/200%_Resists.zip

The mod (and the change it makes) is quite simple. There's only one line that was changed-
I think the 80% cap was intentional (they changed what I would change if I wanted to lower the resist cap). That being said, I think they forgot about the Zombie talent getting nerfed as well, seeing as how that still gives a 200% boost to Poison resistance.

I'm going to see whether it could be possible to make Zombie work properly even if the resistance is capped at 80%. It might not be possible though, depending on how the damage is carried out.

They literally just changed data "MaxResistance" "200" to data "MaxResistance" "80" :lol: Without even thinking. :D

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I read complaints on Larian's forums as well as SA.
Now you did.

They literally just changed data "MaxResistance" "200" to data "MaxResistance" "80" :lol: Without even thinking. :D
They didn't. I just achieved 95% resistance on a character.

Now if you walk in blood you get healed a piddly dozens of points worth of health from what I've been told.
No, it only works on your turn now. Read the patch notes.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Now you did.
Before I wrote my post. Why would I lie?

They didn't. I just achieved 95% resistance on a character.
I don't know what to say. Either they silently hotfixed the issue or maybe you need to verify to make sure you downloaded the patch correctly. This mod that poster created wouldn't even exist if they didn't make that change.

No, it only works on your turn now. Read the patch notes.
Getting healed for more points than you were damaged is bad, but its damage resistance was good. At the moment I can't find out whether or not the DR was severely nerfed (as opposed to slightly) so we'll see.

Saduj

Arcane
Just tested it out. Leech now works the same way that other healing mechanics in the game work - only heal on your turn/caster's turn. If anyone is complaining its because they wanted a god power. Still worth having.

The sky isn't falling despite what someone read somewhere. :roll:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Just tested it out. Leech now works the same way that other healing mechanics in the game work - only heal on your turn/caster's turn. If anyone is complaining its because they wanted a god power. Still worth having.

The sky isn't falling despite what someone read somewhere. :roll:
No man it doesn't work because someone somewhere said it on a forum.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
You sure about that? I only recall 2-3, and they were solvable using TK or Featherfall.
The chest in the Cyseal villa
The chest in the Hiberheim prison
I think there was another one in the endgame temple thing?
Pretty sure there's another chest in Hiberheim besides the prison. It was right before Boreas, where you had to traverse a bridge of lava with sentinels on the sides. Pretty sure TK/featherfall/tactical retreat/etc didn't have the range to clear the lava. When I got inside the room though I used TK to get the chest, which was in a room of lava.

I think the lava is triggered by the Sentinels in this case, so you can invis past them without triggering it. You're talking about the room with the dead imp, teleporter and sentinel in the corner, right? I think I got that mixed up with the prison. Either way I got there without 100% fire res.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Actually capping the resists might be a good thing (even if potentially unintended).
100+ resistance providing massive healing is exploitative and makes late game trivial.
OTOH capping the resistances should keep the challenge. Wouldn't necessarily cap it at 80% though - and of course talents like Zombie should keep on working.
I think immunity should still be doable for resistances (probably with the help of potions) - but remove the healing - your chars aren't elementals.
Nah, you still need 100% resist for certain optional areas that are blocked off by lava.
There's an air spell that can get rid of lava pretty efficiently, at least if it isn't constantly regenerating lava.

And I think capping resistances is a good idea,or at least eliminating the healing, as has been mentioned. Being able to be healed by everything by the end trivializes the end of the game (well, it's trivialized by how OP level 18 abilities are anyway) when most things are dealing elemental damage.

Leech is also plain ridiculous and broken, especially in combination with Zombie and huge resistances.

Jezal_k23

I agree. Leech was broken. Had to be fixed. Don't give a fuck about the resistances either. Might even replay it later this year.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I've usually been the first person on Codex staff to speak up for you, Roguey, because I value your perspective. But this new thing you're doing where you're basically refusing to play games while shitting on them, and now not even making yourself useful by participating in Pillars of Eternity discussion, is starting to stretch even my limits.
this new thing you're doing
:hmmm:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Those statues were not invincible, unlike most. So breaking them despawned the lave for me IIRC.

Hey, you do know that you can remove their invulnerability by using the same skill that the game plot provided to counter Death Knights, right? :smug:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Well so I have been playing with a mod (that changes Jahan into a Ranger) that keeps all those values the same. Suckers!

I agree with the proposed 100% cap though. Just gives you an option to get past lava. Beyond that is unnecessary and OP. Under that and you start limiting variety of ideas.

RK47 don't think I've come across any talk about the Death Knights. Well, now I know there's a cave of them but I haven't explored, and I was in Boreas's realm way before I popped my head in the cave.

Jezal_k23

Whenever you need to get past those lava traps, isn't it simpler to just use an invisibility spell or scroll? It's not too much of a pain to get that.

Cadmus

Arcane
That's weird, I've never needed to walk into the lava to get to secrets, I stealthbush/invisibility/TP the chest when there are sentinels around. lol roguey that's trolling what you're doing and it's not as interesting as your well informed trolling when it comes to sawyer cuz you understand shit about the game

Ziem

Arbiter
and ofc all the crybabies whine on steam forums because their godmode (100+% res and leech) was removed :lol:

Nah, you still need 100% resist for certain optional areas that are blocked off by lava.
you really don't
you can use telekinesis/teleport/tornado instead, or sneak/invis past the guardians

Futile attempt at balance, not the game's strong point at all, if anything all they did was make their still unbalanced system slightly less interesting.

Cadmus

Arcane
I agree that this game thrives on being imbalanced. They should increase the difficulty by improving the AI, summon target priority (which they did it seems) and possibly increasing the enemies raw damage, thus encouraging a less leisure approach to the combat. I just finished Hiberheim but of course I fucked up and went there 4 lvls higher than I was supposed to, because at some point I had forgotten about the location :(( . Now I can't wait to get somewhere where the combat is hard but I'm having doubts that will ever happen again.

I don't even try very hard when it comes to building my characters. Most of them have totally shitty gear, like the smelly panties on lvl 16. It's just the summons and spell variety that give you so many options and the enemy AI can't possibly mimic that to provide you an adequate challenge by using the system correctly.

I still don't remember what the fuck is the game about, only just recently some dialogue reminded me of the void maelstorm you get to see at the beginning of the game =/

To be perfectly honest, after D:OS I'm afraid to go back to the shitty DnD clones and try-hard balanced games that don't allow me to do so much stupid shit with the spells and abilities. I hope Wasteland 2 is at least a little bit stupid like Fallout was with its mechanics. I don't have much faith in PoE because it seems to be an opposite of D:OS with its systems. Everything superduper balanced and equal and shit, fuck that.

Last edited:

Zetor

Arcane
I think nerfing leech (specifically the interaction with that bleed spell, which was kinda stupid) and making the AI better so they aren't tunnelvisioning summons are good changes to make combat a bit more interesting. Not sure nerfing the "100+% resists make you absorb damage" thing makes things more fun, though. Just make better AI that can realize after a few attacks that the character is immune, and switch to different attacks or switch targets entirely (AI mods for BG1/2 already do this, it can't be too hard).

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
and ofc all the crybabies whine on steam forums because their godmode (100+% res and leech) was removed :lol:

you really don't
you can use telekinesis/teleport/tornado instead, or sneak/invis past the guardians
There are areas where TK and teleport won't reach. And not at a high enough level for Tornado. Or the lava was triggered before I got even near the sentinels. In any case, more options better in terms of solving quests/side-quests. It's just that anything more than 100% cap I agree is overpowered and isn't really an option as much as an obvious powergaming build. But having 100% fire resist to get through lava is a perfectly viable tactic that shouldn't be taken from the game.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Being able to be healed by everything by the end trivializes the end of the game

Eh, I didn't have leech, or zombie, or any 100% immunities on ANYONE, and the end game was still trivial as fuck.

Black

Arcane
Hey, this time fighting Cassandra in Phantom Forest was a bit rough!

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
This is definitely a step in the right direction. I see they event tweaked the AI a bit (if only a little). I hope they do some further AI tweaks, and then some fan picks it up and builds on that in a dedicated AI mod.

Have they made scripting in the editor any more user-friendly since release, by the way? Iirc there were reports it wasn't intuitive enough.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Hey, this time fighting Cassandra in Phantom Forest was a bit rough!
How so? Last time I killed her before she even summoned her minions, so I had to reload and only kill her in combat round 2 to not waste XP. What's different now?

On topic leech and immunities:
Leech was completely OP. You could pick it at lvl1 and would immediately gain like 90% DR against all weapon damage. Get hit for 100 damage, immediately heal up for 90 from Leech. Often you would heal for more than you've been hit for. Does anybody really think with near immunity to physical damage thanks to leech and complete immunity, nay, actually healing from all other sources of damage, due to all other resistances > 100 it's possible to have a game with even the slightest trace of challenge? It's not. There's a reason why in D2 all resistances were capped at 66% and even that was plenty powerful already.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom