Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

Black

Arcane
She summons tougher stuff now, all level 18.

Gord

Arcane
Some comment from Larian on their forums regarding the caps:

Larian said:
We introduced the cap and increased the difficulty near the ending somewhat because we saw a lot of people complain the game became too easy. The common pattern among the character builds we received from those people was that they had several of their resistances over 100%. To be fair, we're not too big fans of caps either, but introducing it seemed the lesser of a few possible evils.
The alternative is to not have a cap and make it a lot harder to ever reach such high resistances, but that'll require bigger changes. If your character build is focussed on getting your resistances over 100%, a change like this will obviously affect you more than if you just started playing the game and I can understand that may be frustrating. Our goal remains entertaining players and if it turns out the cap is not having the desired effect, we'll adapt our approach. (edit) I need to add to this that the resistance cap is part of a bigger balancing change we're working on, and it may be that we released it a bit too soon.

And a little bit later:

Larian said:
There will be a hotfix today that fixes:
- hp bug on load
- changes to resistance cap that were supposed to be in the patch but did not make it in (zombie talent fix, can go over cap with potions and temporary effects from spells)

Which sounds like a reasonable approach to the resistances. Also it's what I suggested. :smug:

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
(edit) I need to add to this that the resistance cap is part of a bigger balancing change we're working on, and it may be that we released it a bit too soon.

Yup, time to keep waiting for the next patch.

Gord

Arcane
At this point, if you've played through the game at least once, I'd probably anyway wait at least for the next content patch with companions.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Hehhhhhhh so I hear the new patch makes leech completely worthless and caps all resistances at 80%, making zombie completely worthless too (not to mention fucking over people who craft items to give themselves sky-high resistances). Who would have thought that Larian Studios has some of the stupidest people on the planet who can't even rebalance a game correctly? Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Since a mod on the forum said the companions won't be making it in till September I'll get started on this right after they hotfix the issue where loading a game resets your your hp to its base value regardless of hp-increasing items.
Why dont you visit the PoE thread to see how much Josh fucked up, instead of trolling in this thread?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Anyone played it with 2 Gb of Ram ? The loading times are really killing me, I can play most of the AAA games but the isometric D:OS gives me a trouble. I fear for the upcoming Wasteland 2 release too, knowing the Unity engine.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Anyone played it with 2 Gb of Ram ? The loading times are really killing me, I can play most of the AAA games but the isometric D:OS gives me a trouble. I fear for the upcoming Wasteland 2 release too, knowing the Unity engine.
RAM is so cheap nowadays, why won't you buy more of it?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Futile attempt at balance, not the game's strong point at all, if anything all they did was make their still unbalanced system slightly less interesting.
What do you mean? I think the balance changes were okay, as Cadmus and Zetor said. If you mean that they should have done much much more in terms of balance though then I fully agree with you.

Those
are the issues, Roguey. Not nerfs or bugs that pop up during patching. It's actually the opposite: many things need to be nerfed because the game is quite unbalanced. To think there are no issues is asinine. To think that the issues you listed are the issues is just moronic.

On the plus side, there have been nice interface improvements. Sortable inventory during barter. Being able to switch inventories with the F-keys. Apparently you can't open multiple inventories now but I always used "send to X" anyways (and I found multiple inventories to clutter the system). However I'd also like to see the ability to "send to X character" during barter.

Also it seems that in certain dialogues you can choose for both characters. Not sure if this is a bug, or if this is intentional for specific quests (like J_C 's idea).

Tytus

Arcane

Because he probably has old RAM like DDR2 or early version of DDR3 which actually kinda expensive and two 2gb of DDR2 or early DDR3 can cost more than 8gb of current DDR3. And to change RAM you often have to change entire motherboard which also leads to changing the procesor because the chipset is wrong, etc.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Because he probably has old RAM like DDR2 or early version of DDR3 which actually kinda expensive and two 2gb of DDR2 or early DDR3 can cost more than 8gb of current DDR3. And to change RAM you often have to change entire motherboard which also leads to changing the procesor because the chipset is wrong, etc.

Exactly, I wanted to wait for Witcher 3 release. Guess I'll need to speed up the process of buying new rig. I'll play Shadowrun Returns for now.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Hm another quick update/hotfix for DOS. Also I admit I was using a mod that had kept resists at 200 :oops: (it was mod that made Jahan a Ranger)

Hotfix version 1.0.132
Community Announcements - Larian_Octaaf
Hi everyone,

We kept a close eye on your feedback on the latest patch and have put the following hotfixes live:
  • HP Bug on loading
  • Changes to resistance cap that were supposed to be in the patch but did not make it in (zombie talent fix, can go over cap with potions and temporary effects)

Inb4 Roguey saying it was an intended update but they're pretending it was a bug.

I still think 100% resist should be allowed to avoid lava though. C'est la vie. (Not that it affects me anyway because of above mod. I'll change the mod so I can only get 100).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Good job on the prompt fixes Larian.

Unfortunately that promise of future balancing has me torn. Dunno if I should just go ahead and jump in now or go with JA:DG and bide my time at least through next week.

Oh FFS. Do you actually take yourself seriously?
No, of course not.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Unfortunately that promise of future balancing has me torn. Dunno if I should just go ahead and jump in now or go with JA:DG and bide my time at least through next week.

Is this a rhetorical question or a genuine call for advice?

I would say jump in now, for reasons I made clear above :M

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Wait what future balancing?
"I need to add to this that the resistance cap is part of a bigger balancing change we're working on, and it may be that we released it a bit too soon."

I would wait til the new companions are in, which should be in a week or two. What's JAG?
I'd prefer to play it before September, but I don't know. Wasteland 2 might be ready to play at release, it might also need weeks/months of patching before being worthwhile. Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games, the thing I said I'd play if D:OS wasn't hotfixed by today (it was, but then they promised more balance)

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Wait what future balancing?
"I need to add to this that the resistance cap is part of a bigger balancing change we're working on, and it may be that we released it a bit too soon."

I would wait til the new companions are in, which should be in a week or two. What's JAG?
I'd prefer to play it before September, but I don't know. Wasteland 2 might be ready to play at release, it might also need weeks/months of patching before being worthwhile. Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games, the thing I said I'd play if D:OS wasn't hotfixed by today (it was, but then they promised more balance)
Probably be a while before balance fixes since they promised companions first, sadly.

Have you tried Chaos Gate btw? If you're a 40k fanboy that is.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Probably be a while before balance fixes since they promised companions first, sadly.
I believe they'll be working on these things concurrently.

No exposure to it, but unlike Lesi, I don't really like the aesthetic, and the interface of that particular game looks daunting. If the content were great I imagine it'd be talked about more often.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
No exposure to it, but unlike Lesi, I don't really like the aesthetic, and the interface of that particular game looks daunting. If the content were great I imagine it'd be talked about more often.
Ah np. The interface is indeed quite annoying. It's not great, just fun for someone who likes the setting.

Crichton

Prophet
I guess I won't really know how it plays out until I start another playthrough but I really don't like the idea of an 80% cap; if for no other reason than it really dings Man-at-Arms builds. Weather the Storm is complete crap under these new circumstances and there were already too many reasons to choose INT-based characters.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I guess I won't really know how it plays out until I start another playthrough but I really don't like the idea of an 80% cap; if for no other reason than it really dings Man-at-Arms builds. Weather the Storm is complete crap under these new circumstances and there were already too many reasons to choose INT-based characters.
Well, they said they'll be making it (in the hotfix) so you can go over the cap with spells/potions, so it's still possible to make one character functionally invincible via a high-int mage with witchcraft.

Gord

Arcane
You can also use potions and several spells from other schools, I just tested it.

It does reduce the usefulnes of Weather the Storm a bit - then again WtS alone isn't enough to go beyond 100% anyway, so it might still be useful to widen the choice of armors and other equipment - if you get the WtS bonus on resistances, bonuses from equipment are less important and you might be a bit more flexible there and/or need to rely less on crafting.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
IMO you should be forced to use potions and/or spells to get past 100% because otherwise it's just a case of "how much healing do I want to take from getting hit by this" which is a boring decision.

Cadmus

Arcane
IMO you should be forced to use potions and/or spells to get past 100% because otherwise it's just a case of "how much healing do I want to take from getting hit by this" which is a boring decision.
no

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Not a compelling argument. If I can get past 100% naturally then I'm never going to use potions or resistance-buffing spells because just having the invulnerability is fine.

Gord

Arcane
Currently the whining on the Larian forums about the resistance caps is quite delicious.

Meh, I'm afraid it won't last and Larian removes them again if they feel too many people don't like them.
Seems the "we should be allowed to play the game the way we want" crowd is really addicted to godmode.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom