Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Is it really useless to upgrade your Bow skill as a ranger?

I heard from a friend that you should ignore weapon skills until you get certain types of weapons that only benefit from its own stat even though it's still a bow.
Your friend was probably refering to the tenebrium skill. There are different weapon skills for the weapon types, two-handed, single-handed, bows etc. plus 1 tenebrium skill which governs ALL tenebrium weapons including tenebrium bows. This skill is only for weapons completely made from tenebrium and not only boosted with some tenebrium bonus damage so I wouldn't waste points on that. Plus tenebrium weapons can't be further enchanted with tormented souls. Better put points in the normal bow skill and ignore the tenebrium skill.

Stompa

Arcane
This skill is only for weapons completely made from tenebrium and not only boosted with some tenebrium bonus damage so I wouldn't waste points on that.

Actually tenebrium-boosted weapons are governed by that skill too, you don't get any bonus from the original weapon skill for it.

Cadmus

Arcane
Is it really useless to upgrade your Bow skill as a ranger?

I heard from a friend that you should ignore weapon skills until you get certain types of weapons that only benefit from its own stat even though it's still a bow.
Your friend was probably refering to the tenebrium skill. There are different weapon skills for the weapon types, two-handed, single-handed, bows etc. plus 1 tenebrium skill which governs ALL tenebrium weapons including tenebrium bows. This skill is only for weapons completely made from tenebrium and not only boosted with some tenebrium bonus damage so I wouldn't waste points on that. Plus tenebrium weapons can't be further enchanted with tormented souls. Better put points in the normal bow skill and ignore the tenebrium skill.
Are you sure? All weapons that require the TB skill are governed by it and at the very least, my sword skill wasnt boosting my TB sword's damage, only the TB skill so I thought it was the same for the bows.

The skill is stupid cuz you dont know about it beforehand and spend points that will be useless soon =/ I had no idea it would happen but I only have 1 warrior so it didnt hurt me at all, all my sword skill was from gear anyway.

Jozoz

Prophet
This skill is only for weapons completely made from tenebrium and not only boosted with some tenebrium bonus damage so I wouldn't waste points on that.

Actually tenebrium-boosted weapons are governed by that skill too, you don't get any bonus from the original weapon skill for it.

Yeah this is what I heard as well.

Seems silly.

Are non tenebrium weapons just flat out worse or are there equivalent level normal weapons?

Ziem

Arbiter
There are no "equivalent normal weapons" since you can enchant any of these normal weapons with a tenebrium bar, so yeah, tenebrium weapons are simply better (.. in most cases).

Cadmus

Arcane

Yeah this is what I heard as well.

Seems silly.

Are non tenebrium weapons just flat out worse or are there equivalent level normal weapons?
I havent enchanted anything so far but the tenebrium weapons are way more powerful where I'm at right now (lvl 16) so it seems to me that they are simply better and you're better off simply saving up for the skill and getting tenebrium weapons asap (which I didnt do of course)

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So? How much did this sell? Do we know?

Cattletech said:
So, I geeked out and made the following estimates...

According to Steam Charts, in the last 30 days DOS has been played about 5.3 million hours on steam.

Assuming the ratio of peak players and hours played is constant, I extrapolated this backwards:
1. The area under the 'peak players' graph was 340k players x days for the last 30 days.
2. Thus, the ratio of hours played over that area is 5.3 Mil hours / 340 players*days = 15.6 kHrs / player-days
3. Applying this backward to the previous 30 days, we have another 496k player-days, so if we take the above ratio, that's another 496*15.8kHrs or 7.7 Mil hours.
4. Total hours played then would then be about 13 Million hours so far. Let's say this is with ï½±15% error because (a) the above method is rather crude (b) Steam sometimes under-reports hours played.

Now, I've also estimated the average number played per player to be between 15-20 hours. The estimate is based on:
1. Ars Technica's Steam Gauge data (has a rough pie-chart breakdown of average playtime on Steam)
2. Steam achievement percentages coupled with my estimates on how long it takes to reach each one. In particular:
- 44.6% have not found the Pyramids teleporters - this usually occurs in the first few hours of play, so these players are probably disinterested. Assumed 1.5 hrs played on average in this bracket.
- 26.1% found the pyramids, but haven't killed Evelyn yet. That means they've at least played a few hours, but probably not over 25. I assumed an average of 10 hrs for this bracket.
- 15.6% killed Evelyn, but haven't met the conduit yet. Probably played more than 8 hours and no more than 60. I assumed an average of 30 hours on this bracket.
- 5.3% have met the conduit, but haven't reached hunter's edge yet. That's at least 20 hours in, but no more than 120. I assumed 45 hours on average.
- 3.9% have arrived at Hunter's edge, but not at the Source Temple. Yadda yadda assumed 60 hours.
- 1.1% have reached Source Temple, but haven't beat the game. Assumed 75 hours. This piece of data is also backed by Larian saying it's an 80 hour game and also reports on this site.
- The rest (3.4%) have beat the game, at least once. Assumed 120 hours on average.

This adds up to 17.6 hours on average. I've thus used the range 15-20 hrs per player (i.e. about 17.5 ?ï½± 15%), which is roughly what you'd get if you slapped a 40% error margin on each individual bracket estimate and assumed they are independent error factors.

Assuming the two error factors are uncorrelated, all this roughly translates to about 750k ?ï½± 20%, or between 600-900k. Which is not far off from my previous post too, if you account for the month that has passed since
smile.gif

So, was I close Larian?

It's also a good time to announce since the sales rate must be dropping by now...

Weasel
Assuming the two error factors are uncorrelated, all this roughly translates to about 750k ?ï½± 20%, or between 600-900k. Which is not far off from my previous post too, if you account for the month that has passed since
smile.gif

So, was I close Larian?
Funnily enough we had predictions here a while back and most estimated in the same range, excluding a couple of shitposting outliers. This was without any of that excessive "geeking out" which seems to ignore non-Steam sales. 600k - 900k is a broad range. It will be interesting to see whether the sales are nearer 600k or 900k, as every extra 100k sales is a big chunk of the budget for another game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Remember when Larian said there would be new companions in August? Or when they said there would be a patch released this week to address co-op dialogue problems?

What an unfortunate state this is still in two months after release.

Of course I'm expecting next week's update to make it fortunate enough. Ideally Monday since they don't share that holiday date with the US.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Remember when Sawyer said he was going to make a good game?
No, I don't recall that at all.

I do remember him saying
If it is not rewarding enough to play on its own, stop playing our terrible game.
If participating in a specific type of core gameplay is not enjoyable on its own, our game is bad and I sincerely encourage people to not engage in it/not play the game.

Truly the most honest person in the industry. My prediction is that a great game will be delivered in December for Rogueys everywhere.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity

I do remember him saying
If it is not rewarding enough to play on its own, stop playing our terrible game.
If participating in a specific type of core gameplay is not enjoyable on its own, our game is bad and I sincerely encourage people to not engage in it/not play the game.

Truly the most honest person in the industry. My prediction is that a great game will be delivered in December for Rogueys everywhere.
Oh yes, of course, he advertised the possibility of making a shitty game so that people would kickstart him money to make it. Hope he's happy giving refunds.

Yeah, no. If it's terrible, you still have my money.

Rake

Arcane
I like how Roguey changed it's tune from "Sawyer is the best designer on the Planet, his game will be great, just you see" to "his game will be great for me and others like me, the rest of the world, tough luck. Be carefull who do you give money on kickstarter suckers".

TheGreatOne

Arcane
I do remember him saying

Truly the most honest person in the industry.
Actually that just goes to show that he is one of the biggest liars/failures in the game industry, as none of the games he made had good gameplay besides IWD. Like Goat Pervetor explained, JES has pretty much built his entire career on top of a fundamentally broken foundation (RTwP). He is clearly a designer that does not consider compelling gameplay a design priority.

Rake

Arcane
I do remember him saying

Actually that just goes to show that he is one of the biggest liars/failures in the game industry, as none of the games he made had good gameplay besides IWD. Like Goat Pervetor explained, JES has pretty much built his entire career on top of a fundamentally broken foundation (RTwP).
So the only game he made that has good gameplay is the one that is RTwP, and yet it's RTwP that is fundamentally broken :roll:

TheGreatOne

Arcane
He made one of the better RTwP games. People here generally agree that A) RTwP sucks and B)Baldur's Gate 2 and Planescape: Torment are some of the best CRPGs of all time, despite the fact that they're RTwP. His never games have much worse combat.

Black_Willow

Arcane

I do remember him saying
our game is bad and I sincerely encourage people to not engage in it/not play the game.

Cut out some unneeded words for you.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom